Generation Y women losing 'female' skills

Comments

• RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    I grew up with both of my parents working full time. My siblings and I were expected to keep the house in order and help with cooking, laundry, cleaning etc. I grew up doing all of that stufff, and I still do it. In recent years I've tried learn things I don't know how to do: car stuff, plumbing, home repairs etc. Although, I can't keep a plant alive for shit. Most of my friends, however, send it out or order it in.

I got a flat tire a few weeks ago, so I changed the tire. I told my dad I got a flat and he asked how long it took AAA to get there. :lol:
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    pandora wrote:
    People do whats expected of them...got to expect a lot from your kids so they grow up expecting alot from themselves... makes a person feel worthy.

That's so true. But I think parents of Generation Yers dropped the ball when it came to high expectations.
  • So, I have one question about that article. What the hell is a lamington? :?
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • iamicaiamica Posts: 2,628
    That article is something else..."female" skills? Really? This is 2011, not 1951. :roll:
    I can't sew to save my life, but I can fix most little things. Most chores are shared by both genders now, anyway...
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    iamica wrote:
    That article is something else..."female" skills? Really? This is 2011, not 1951. :roll:
    I can't sew to save my life, but I can fix most little things. Most chores are shared by both genders now, anyway...

So let me ask you this - who does the bear wrestling in your family?
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    edited March 2011
    Post edited by rollings on
    Half Full wrote:
    Ya know that bear wrestling stuff is gettin' old
    Can you please move on to your next unstunt?

My next stunt is going to be emptying your glass completely.

edited March 2011
  • megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    People who can't cook are just lazy and don't want to... nothing wrong with that if it works for you, but I hate when people say "I can't cook". Just say "I don't want to cook".

You can teach a ten year old to follow a recipe, and with the internet today, you can learn how to make something in 30 seconds.

you've never had my grandma's meatloaf. she CAN'T cook.
    eyedclaar wrote:
    Half Full wrote:
    Ya know that bear wrestling stuff is gettin' old
    Can you please move on to your next unstunt?

My next stunt is going to be emptying your glass completely.

= = = = = (runs away as steadily as possible)
  • jmurrayjmurray Posts: 3,538
    iamica wrote:

It's funny how we sort of just blindly fall into or accept gender roles. Well, maybe not so funny.
    edited March 2011
    Generation why?
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    eyedclaar wrote:
    I have noticed that none of my friends have their kids do regular chores. I mean at all. WTF? I thought that was the only good reason to have kids. I was a full blown slave by the time I was 5. That's the way it was and I liked it!
    yep.
    i understand this fully.
    believe that.

my grandpa (dad's dad) was a WWII guy. he never missed one single day of work, ever. same way with my dad, miss work? are you nuts?

these are the people who raised me up, fuck.
    brutal.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I worked with a group of gen Y girls...
    half of them couldn't read an analog clock-ya know, the kind of clock with arms and a second hand
    most of them only knew 1 chef-Chef Boyardee,
    some of them needed to hem the bottoms of their scrubs and I offered to hem their pants for them (because I know how to sew)-they ended up just stapling the hems and wondered why their pants had rust stains from the staples on them.... :? (ok, so they need chemistry lessons too....)
    and yes, whenever an article of clothing needed a button to be sewn on, they would throw away the coat instead of sewing the button back on or having someone else to do it for them or even donating the coat.

I don't iron...that's what a wet washcloth and dryer are for :lol: (ok, I will iron if I have to)
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    4and20 wrote:
    I don't iron...that's what a wet washcloth and dryer are for :lol: (ok, I will iron if I have to)

I prefer to hang my clothes in the bathroom while taking a hot shower- instant steaming and time efficient. 8-)

• RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    RYEzupSF wrote:
    4and20 wrote:

I prefer to hang my clothes in the bathroom while taking a hot shower- instant steaming and time efficient. 8-)

:lol: I've been know to do that too!
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    I can iron, I just don't buy anything that needs to be ironed. Thats because as a teenager one of my chores was the ironing, all of mums bank uniforms, all of my school uniforms, my stepdads business shirts and trousers, mum even made me iron the pillow cases and tea towels! I don't even know where my iron is.

On the other hand I cook a mean roast, love to bake muffins and cakes. I can drive a manual, I wash my car, and am always the one to take the rubbish out.
    all you need is love, love is all you need
    tinkerbell wrote:
    I can iron, I just don't buy anything that needs to be ironed. Thats because as a teenager one of my chores was the ironing, all of mums bank uniforms, all of my school uniforms, my stepdads business shirts and trousers, mum even made me iron the pillow cases and tea towels! I don't even know where my iron is.

On the other hand I cook a mean roast, love to bake muffins and cakes. I can drive a manual, I wash my car, and am always the one to take the rubbish out.

The rubbish? Like 81 and BD?

eyedclaar wrote:
    tinkerbell wrote:

The rubbish? Like 81 and BD?

:? Maybe just 81, BD is a sweetie. ;)
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    so this woman no longer exists? :?
    norm wrote:

Isn't that the woman from all those Huey Lewis videos? You've really followed her career. She is out there somewhere, waiting for you. I can feel it.

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    RYEzupSF wrote:
    norm wrote:

Isn't that the woman from all those Huey Lewis videos? You've really followed her career. She is out there somewhere, waiting for you. I can feel it.

puberty was pretty cool ;)8-)
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    I never had much of "famale" skills...

I can sew a button - thats about it.

I can cook - basic meals for my kids - but nothing elaborate.

as for ironing - as a kid - I did iron a few shirts. ( now never ) !!!!

btw - my mom was and still is fantastic at "female" skills, I guess I never learned or maybe just too "lazy" and busy.

I actually "hate" being in the kitchen... ;)
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    I suppose the more women go out to work and come home late - the more women will start losing those "female" skills....
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    none of us compare to Beaver's mom (Barbara Billingsley). She cooked, cleaned, brought Ward Cleaver his newspaper and slippers and never broke a sweat while wearing pearls and high heels (doing house work.)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdjl3_29 ... re=related
    I'm not gen x but we used to always alter our jeans in the early seventies. we had a sewing machine and we were soooo skinny, we used to take in the legs to make them tighter. we took home ec. not only did we learn how to sew and cook, we learned about babysitting. I had to start dinner when my mom was at work.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • FrannyFranny Posts: 2,054
    tinkerbell wrote:

I agree with the ironing...I hate it, but if it has to be done, then so be it.

Sewing, I hate, but if it's something simple liek a button or hem undone, I'll force myself to do it.

But I am mum/dad all rolled into one 5' package, so I can cook (all hail the bbq), clean (yuck but has to be done), I also mow the grass, fix things Mr K and the dog break, install fencing, service my car, and except for my current car, have always driven manuals.....and I really miss it.
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    I don't cook, I don't sew, and I hate ironing :twisted:
    There is one "female" skill I've managed to hold onto :)
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
    I agree with the ironing...I hate it, but if it has to be done, then so be it.

Sewing, I hate, but if it's something simple liek a button or hem undone, I'll force myself to do it.

But I am mum/dad all rolled into one 5' package, so I can cook (all hail the bbq), clean (yuck but has to be done), I also mow the grass, fix things Mr K and the dog break, install fencing, service my car, and except for my current car, have always driven manuals.....and I really miss it.

imagesCAD7IRKE.jpg

I take my hat off to you my friend!
  • I do most of the housework (except laundry). Cleaning, cooking more of the time than she does........all of the outside work: shovelling, mowing, raking. She does the finances.

I'm more her bitch than I am her husband. :lol:
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    Paul David wrote:
    I do most of the housework (except laundry). Cleaning, cooking more of the time than she does........all of the outside work: shovelling, mowing, raking. She does the finances.

I'm more her bitch than I am her husband. :lol:
    :clap: My kind of man! :mrgreen:
    I do the finances and I pretty much have to fix anything that breaks in our house, as apparently I'm the handy one :? :lol:
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"