Generation Y women losing 'female' skills

Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
edited February 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
http://www.news.com.au/national/generat ... 5996810578

So who here is guilty of this crime?
Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    Ironing, cooking and sewing? I can do all those, but I hate ironing.
    Only 51 per cent of women aged under 30 can cook a roast compared with 82 per cent of baby boomers.

I can't cook a roast though.. Guess I'm not a proper woman. :?
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • I can't sew or iron.
    I am a good cook though :D
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Think most people can probably do them. Whether you want to or not is a different matter!
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    i will say women have changed (for better or worse) over the years. when i was a kid most women sewed their kids' torn clothing or fashioned quilts for their family and friends or those in need, and they cooked their asses off. do women still bake homemade bread?

i know women today who have no clue how to sew their kids' torn jeans. i know women who cannot cook a fucking thing. i know women who do not appreaciate quilts sew by grandmothers and they disregard the hand made blankets.

don't get me wrong, men are dicks too.
    why don't men fucking fashion a quilt out of scrap fabric?
    why don't men stitch up a pair of torn jeans?
    because men are watching soccer, drinking vodka, and farting to entertain the children & themselves.

i am no good @ sewing buttons on my shirts.
    in home ec class in sewed/crafted a surf board pillow, it resembled a sasquatch turd.
    mom sewed and crocheted and knitted, and whatever else.
    she offered to teach me, i was not interested.
    my two brothers each crafted their own quilt that summer, not me, i am no girl god darn it.

men are dicks...
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    chadwick wrote:
    do women still bake homemade bread?

Both of us do, although getting a bread maker for christmas helped :D
  • It's true for guys as well. How many times to you see some helpless guy with a flat tire waiting on the side of the road for a tow truck to help him out.

Today, everything can be cheaply replaced, or quickly fixed by someone else. It's sad really...
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    My wife isn't Generation Y but she can neither cook, sew, nor iron. I take that back. She can cook, she just hates it and it is my hobby so I do it all. Plus she has a job and works her ass off at it.

Sewing and ironing? That is why God invented the Dry Cleaners.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • People who can't cook are just lazy and don't want to... nothing wrong with that if it works for you, but I hate when people say "I can't cook". Just say "I don't want to cook".

You can teach a ten year old to follow a recipe, and with the internet today, you can learn how to make something in 30 seconds.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • vduboisevduboise Posts: 1,937
    I think part of the problem, well where I live, is that they don't really teach home economics in schools any more. When I was in High School, we did not have home-ec-( I went to a specialized school- but still they should have had it)

I know how to sew because I wanted to know whats it all about. And I went to culinary school because I wanted to be a chef and continue to use those skills. And I don't iron unless it really needs it.

Also, wanting to learn how to do things as opposed to being forced to do it, makes a difference.
    People who can't cook are just lazy and don't want to... nothing wrong with that if it works for you, but I hate when people say "I can't cook". Just say "I don't want to cook".

You can teach a ten year old to follow a recipe, and with the internet today, you can learn how to make something in 30 seconds.

this is truth.
    cooking is pretty damn simple.
    baking? slightly harder, but not impossible.

i laugh at tube biscuits. who eats them fuckin things?
    my biscuits sucks. at least i try.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    edited March 2011
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "darning a hole"--well, I can do that. "darn. there's a hole"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Ironing :lol: (what's "ironing"?) ( :shock: sounds violent)
    Post edited by rollings on
  • vduboisevduboise Posts: 1,937
    Half Full wrote:
    The article says that "just under" 40% of women drive manual cars!!
    I'm afraid I am going to have to disregard the entire article. It just can't be trusted.
    "darning a hole"--well, I can do that. "darn. there's a hole"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Ironing :lol: (what's "ironing"?) ( :shock: sounds violent)
    thanks for the laugh this morning :D:lol:
  • I have all of those skills. My better half on the other hand. Not so much. It would be awesome if she knew how to do things like change the oil, mow the lawn, fix all the little toys the kids bring to me saying they broke, clean, do laundry, pay bills, balance a checking account, be on time........ lol.
    i have not once ever ironed anything. i will wear wrinkled clothes. i do not give a hoot.
    when i was a kid i melted a bread wrapper onto mom's just used iron.
    it was awesome.

but not for long.
    soon it was spanking time i'm sure

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    I have all of those skills. My better half on the other hand. Not so much. It would be awesome if she knew how to do things like change the oil, mow the lawn, fix all the little toys the kids bring to me saying they broke, clean, do laundry, pay bills, balance a checking account, be on time........ lol.

i have heard over the years more and more women who have not ever cut the fucking grass.
    to me this is bizarre.
    i cut grass when i was in 1st or 2nd grade.
    it was very exciting actually.

my brother's x wife has not ever mowed a lawn.
    she has however slammed jack bourbon like water and acted like an asshole. :mrgreen:

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    I'm fine with this, let her work, i'll cook and clean. She likes people anyway.
  • JukeeJukee Posts: 4,500
    I love cutting the grass, but that's probably because we have a riding lawnmower.
    If you have nothing to lose, you have nothing to worry about.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    female skills I thought that was going to be something else :lol:

you know in todays world its a shared partnership, the chores shared by both partners.

Nothing is really done traditionally anymore with the young couples coming up
    female is this, male is that
    I think this is really a plus...you get to learn it all and therefore feel more capable
    and independent.

But everyone should know how to drive a manual stick shift just in case and besides it's fun!
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    It's true for guys as well. How many times to you see some helpless guy with a flat tire waiting on the side of the road for a tow truck to help him out.

Today, everything can be cheaply replaced, or quickly fixed by someone else. It's sad really...
    Yeah, most men are losing "man" skills at an alarming pace. I don't blame us completely for losing our automotive gene, especially with the technology that is in the new engines (just take a look at a BMW engine block). But most guys when faced with car trouble when their women is with them could at least pop the hood, act like they know what they are looking at, tell her to try to turn the engine over before calling a tow truck. Instead they laugh and admit publicly that they don't know anything. :crazy:

The maddening thing is that the internet is available and can pretty much teach you anything. I have an oil-fired furnace and made the mistake of running out of oil. Since air got in the lines I couldn't get any oil to the furnace. A quick 30 minute search on Google taught me how to bleed the lines. Most men will call a mechanic and get charged $200.
    pandora wrote:

you know in todays world its a shared partnership, the chores shared by both partners.

I think this is really a plus...you get to learn it all and therefore feel more capable
    and independent.

But everyone should know how to drive a manual stick shift just in case and besides it's fun!
    i know both men and women who can't cook, can't clean, can't cut grass, can't paint a house, can't change oil, can't wash laundry, can't shower themselves, can't
    they cant
    they cant
    and they cant

i am convinced people are lazy as shit.

i was getting paid from having jobs outside the house when i was 10 years old.
    i know young people in there 20's who never work, they do nothing all day except video game each other up the fanny.

healthy young men & women should be working, if they can find a job. many do not even look for work.
    some of these useless fuckers can't even sell dope correctly.

amazing.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    pandora wrote:

When those are gone, the uneasy pact between men and women will disintegrate altogether... :D
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • chadwick wrote:
    I have all of those skills. My better half on the other hand. Not so much. It would be awesome if she knew how to do things like change the oil, mow the lawn, fix all the little toys the kids bring to me saying they broke, clean, do laundry, pay bills, balance a checking account, be on time........ lol.

i have heard over the years more and more women who have not ever cut the fucking grass.
    to me this is bizarre.
    i cut grass when i was in 1st or 2nd grade.
    it was very exciting actually.

my brother's x wife has not ever mowed a lawn.
    she has however slammed jack bourbon like water and acted like an asshole. :mrgreen:

:lol::lol::lol::lol: I have a strict no alcohol rule in my house to avoid such situations. Not strictly for her, but it is in her best interest not to rock that boat.
  • Jason P wrote:
    It's true for guys as well. How many times to you see some helpless guy with a flat tire waiting on the side of the road for a tow truck to help him out.

Yeah, most men are losing "man" skills at an alarming pace. I don't blame us completely for losing our automotive gene, especially with the technology that is in the new engines (just take a look at a BMW engine block). But most guys when faced with car trouble when their women is with them could at least pop the hood, act like they know what they are looking at, tell her to try to turn the engine over before calling a tow truck. Instead they laugh and admit publicly that they don't know anything. :crazy:

The maddening thing is that the internet is available and can pretty much teach you anything. I have an oil-fired furnace and made the mistake of running out of oil. Since air got in the lines I couldn't get any oil to the furnace. A quick 30 minute search on Google taught me how to bleed the lines. Most men will call a mechanic and get charged $200.

Yeah, car stuff has gotten out of control with technology, but everyone should know how to change a tire and change oil... even brakes on most cars, a friend of mine said he spent $250 on getting new brake pads, you can do it yourself for like $60. Granted, some people don't have a place to do it, or the tools, but still. I change my own oil, except in the winter time... my garage isn't heated, and I hate working on cars in the freezing cold lol.

The internet is awesome for learning how to fix stuff.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    eyedclaar wrote:
    pandora wrote:

When those are gone, the uneasy pact between men and women will disintegrate altogether... :D
    true it is the glue ;)
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    I can understand not learning to sew or iron, but cook? That pretty much says that people would rather eat out or eat processed foods rather than eat healthy. Anyone can cook if they really care about what they're eating.
    chadwick wrote:
    pandora wrote:

and independent.

i know both men and women who can't cook, can't clean, can't cut grass, can't paint a house, can't change oil, can't wash laundry, can't shower themselves, can't
    they cant
    they cant
    and they cant

i am convinced people are lazy as shit.

i was getting paid from having jobs outside the house when i was 10 years old.
    i know young people in there 20's who never work, they do nothing all day except video game each other up the fanny.

healthy young men & women should be working, if they can find a job. many do not even look for work.
    some of these useless fuckers can't even sell dope correctly.

amazing.
    Alot of these 'can'ts' ride on the shoulders of their parents. They were not taught the how to's in the home or watched their parents perform these tasks.

Many feel if they work full time that is enough work and they hire out
    the other tasks to be done
    I don't find fault with that, to each their own, they should be happy.
    but for us...we don't pay our hard earned money to someone if we can do it ourselves

But with that said the old bods are getting tired! :lol:
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    pandora wrote:
    Alot of these 'can'ts' ride on the shoulders of their parents. They were not taught the how to's in the home or watched their parents perform these tasks.

but for us...we don't pay our hard earned money to someone if we can do ourselves

:lol:

I have noticed that none of my friends have their kids do regular chores. I mean at all. WTF? I thought that was the only good reason to have kids. I was a full blown slave by the time I was 5. That's the way it was and I liked it!
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • eyedclaar wrote:
    pandora wrote:

but for us...we don't pay our hard earned money to someone if we can do ourselves

I have noticed that none of my friends have their kids do regular chores. I mean at all. WTF? I thought that was the only good reason to have kids. I was a full blown slave by the time I was 5. That's the way it was and I liked it!

absolutely... once my kids get older, I should never have to do most of the household chores again.

My cousin is 21 and a deadbeat... has never had a job for more than a couple of months and still lives at home. At his high school graduation party when asked about what he was going to do, his reply was that he was "going to take a year off"! And not work for a year and decide about college or whatever, just take a year off... and his parents let him. My uncle (his dad) has heart problems, but the worthless sack of shit won't even cut the grass or shovel show at the house. His parents are as much to blame for his worthlessness as he is... but I want to punch him in the face whenever I see him.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    eyedclaar wrote:
    pandora wrote:

absolutely... once my kids get older, I should never have to do most of the household chores again.

My cousin is 21 and a deadbeat... has never had a job for more than a couple of months and still lives at home. At his high school graduation party when asked about what he was going to do, his reply was that he was "going to take a year off"! And not work for a year and decide about college or whatever, just take a year off... and his parents let him. My uncle (his dad) has heart problems, but the worthless sack of shit won't even cut the grass or shovel show at the house. His parents are as much to blame for his worthlessness as he is... but I want to punch him in the face whenever I see him.
    People do whats expected of them...got to expect a lot from your kids so they grow up expecting alot from themselves... makes a person feel worthy.
  • pandora wrote:
    People do whats expected of them...got to expect a lot from your kids so they grow up expecting alot from themselves... makes a person feel worthy.

a quote to live by...
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    ― Abraham Lincoln