Options

Dogfish Head & PJ20

Comments

• Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    I still wonder why Bitches Brew and Hellhound has a neck label but Faithfull Ale doesn't.
    Me TOO!!!
    I think the DFH Logo on the FAITHFULL ALE label looks out of place :ugeek:
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,491
    Does anyone know if there is any PJ20 beer in the Fort Lauderdale area? I will be there starting on Dec 7th for vacation and hope I might find some, thanks
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    In recognition of these milestones, this Belgian-style golden ale is delicately hopped... <snip> ...

Belgian-style but not available in Belgium... :roll:
  • Options
    In recognition of these milestones, this Belgian-style golden ale is delicately hopped... <snip> ...

You aren't missing anything.
    Besides, WTF do you care, you live in fucking Belgium!
    You have practically ALL the good beer!
    :D
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options

I know... But still... It's the principle of the thing, innit? :roll: :lol:
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,903
    I still wonder why Bitches Brew and Hellhound has a neck label but Faithfull Ale doesn't.

It looks to me that Namaste is the only other DFH big bottle (not including collaborations) that does not have a neck label and they are both Belgians.
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    derbydave wrote:
    Finallly tracked down my HELLHOUND today!!!
    Found it at Weiland's on Indianola and they still had 3 or 4 bottles left if you need one.
    The beer guy said that they sold out of
    BITCHES BREW & FAITHFULL ALE
    as soon as they got it in!!!
    They also had the DFH / My Antonia...
    Anyone ever tried this one??
    Label calls it a Pilsner...
    and I'm not really into this style of beers,
    but would love to hear any reviews.

My Antonia is good but if you dont like Pilsners then you wont like it.

I do LOVE IPA's or any of the real "HOPPY" beers...
    and was wondering if this one falls into this category??
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2

• Options
    MozzyMozzy Posts: 154
    I just picked up 3 bottles in Redwood City, CA. I was going to take the week off from drinking to prepare for a 10k next weekend, but looks I may be taking 6 days off instead of 7.
  • Options
    derbydave wrote:
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    derbydave wrote:
    Finallly tracked down my HELLHOUND today!!!
    Found it at Weiland's on Indianola and they still had 3 or 4 bottles left if you need one.I
    The beer guy said that they sold out of
    BITCHES BREW & FAITHFULL ALE
    as soon as they got it in!!!
    They also had the DFH / My Antonia...
    Anyone ever tried this one??
    Label calls it a Pilsner...
    and I'm not really into this style of beers,
    but would love to hear any reviews.

My Antonia is good but if you dont like Pilsners then you wont like it.

I do LOVE IPA's or any of the real "HOPPY" beers...
    and was wondering if this one falls into this category??

I'd say My Antonia is a full bodied hoppy pilsner. It's heavier than your typical pilsner. I think it's triple hopped. It's worth picking up.
    "Mark it 20, Dude."
  • Options
    Here's a good story for you. I live in PA and went to the girlfriends sister's, who lives in VA, for Turkey weekend. So I check out mapquest to see how we are getting there and see that Dogfish Head's brewery is not far off our path to VA. So my awesome girlfriend has no problem stopping along the way to pick up a case since i could not find any in PA where I live. We get there in great time on Wed afternoon only about 10 min out of our way. We get there and find out they have a limit of 2 bottles per person? Are u fucking kidding me at the BREWERY they only sell 2 bottles a person. Does this company not want to make any money or what. I tried to sweet talk the young lady and explain my situation but to no avail she wouldn't budge. She told me maybe next week they are gonna up their limit but until then only 2 per person. So we were sent on our way with only 4 bottles I was intending on getting a case and sharing the wealth here. We tried the beer throughout the weekend it was tasty nothing mind blowing but tasty. I don't know what dogfish head's deal is but they really need to get their shit together. Their shit must not stink now that they have a tv show and a little bit of publicity. Do a little research dumbasses PJ fans a little bit nuts when it comes to their band we will buy it just make more dammit. Sorry my rant for the weekend. Good luck to anyone still trying to find it.

mike
    9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 10/12/00, 5/3/03, 7/9/03, 10/1/04,10/1/05, 10/3/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 4/5/08, 4/7/08, 8/16/08, 8/17/08, 6/11/09, 6/12/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 7/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/27/13, 4/28/16, 9/14/22
  • Options
    MG79478MG79478 Posts: 1,628
    gubym20 wrote:
    Here's a good story for you. I live in PA and went to the girlfriends sister's, who lives in VA, for Turkey weekend. So I check out mapquest to see how we are getting there and see that Dogfish Head's brewery is not far off our path to VA. So my awesome girlfriend has no problem stopping along the way to pick up a case since i could not find any in PA where I live. We get there in great time on Wed afternoon only about 10 min out of our way. We get there and find out they have a limit of 2 bottles per person? Are u fucking kidding me at the BREWERY they only sell 2 bottles a person. Does this company not want to make any money or what. I tried to sweet talk the young lady and explain my situation but to no avail she wouldn't budge. She told me maybe next week they are gonna up their limit but until then only 2 per person. So we were sent on our way with only 4 bottles I was intending on getting a case and sharing the wealth here. We tried the beer throughout the weekend it was tasty nothing mind blowing but tasty. I don't know what dogfish head's deal is but they really need to get their shit together. Their shit must not stink now that they have a tv show and a little bit of publicity. Do a little research dumbasses PJ fans a little bit nuts when it comes to their band we will buy it just make more dammit. Sorry my rant for the weekend. Good luck to anyone still trying to find it.

mike

The 2 bottle limit has been discussed often on this board. Plus you could have called them in advance. It's ironic that you think DFH should do a little research, but you did no research before your trip. If you had, you could have realized that the brew pub and the production brewery are pretty damn close, and you could have bought another 4 bottles at the other location. Did you check any of the half dozen liquor stores near the brewpub? You probably could have bought as many bottles as you wanted. Maybe DFH did their research and realized how nuts PJ fans are, and the 2 bottle limit is to ensure that one person doesn’t buy it all up and more fans get to try it?
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    MG79478 wrote:
    gubym20 wrote:

mike

The 2 bottle limit has been discussed often on this board. Plus you could have called them in advance. It's ironic that you think DFH should do a little research, but you did no research before your trip. If you had, you could have realized that the brew pub and the production brewery are pretty damn close, and you could have bought another 4 bottles at the other location. Did you check any of the half dozen liquor stores near the brewpub? You probably could have bought as many bottles as you wanted. Maybe DFH did their research and realized how nuts PJ fans are, and the 2 bottle limit is to ensure that one person doesn’t buy it all up and more fans get to try it?

:lol:

and the beer is pretty shitty. i wouldn't want a case, let alone two bottles.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    and the beer is pretty shitty. i wouldn't want a case, let alone two bottles.

Agreed. I've got one more to drink and I'm not really excited about it. Sure it's not an awful beer, but it's also not great.
  • Options
    Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    Finally had one of mine yesterday....I was highly underwhelmed. Not what I was expecting from Dogfish Head at all. Then again I prefer a much darker beer, so maybe if you're into lighter beers you'll like it. The good news though is that I finished that baby pretty quickly and had a nice buzz going on :D

I won't be drinking my other one.
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Finally had one of mine yesterday....I was highly underwhelmed. Not what I was expecting from Dogfish Head at all. Then again I prefer a much darker beer, so maybe if you're into lighter beers you'll like it. The good news though is that I finished that baby pretty quickly and had a nice buzz going on :D

i don't mind a lighter beer, but this beer just does not make the grade. has a funky taste to it. i'm glad i only ended up with one. if i had a second, it'd be sold.

i'm betting the second batch doesn't sell out nearly as quick as the first one.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    81 wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:

i don't mind a lighter beer, but this beer just does not make the grade. has a funky taste to it. i'm glad i only ended up with one. if i had a second, it'd be sold.

I liked it better than Bud/Bud Light...
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    RKCNDY wrote:
    81 wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:

I liked it better than Bud/Bud Light...

Oh for sure...I'd choose Faithfull Ale over any Bud or Miller product!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    Mamasan23 wrote:

Oh for sure...I'd choose Faithfull Ale over any Bud or Miller product!

when you factor in the cost....i'd go miller lite. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    I think its a bit ridiculous that people are criticisizing eachother, the band, and the brewery with regards to planning, limitations, supply and demand, etc.
    I also think its abundantly clear that people have NO COMPREHENSION whatsoever about how the beer industry works. Especially with regards to microbreweries and their process and what they are capable of.
    DFH is a microbrewery in a small town in the middle of Deleware. Their ability to brew regularly released beers, seasonals, and in the case of Faithful Ale - their one offs is based on how much space they have available. Brewing beer takes time, and the brewery has many MANY beers in high demand (see their 90 and 120 IPAs all you hopheads). With an inability the maintain demands they brew wha they can, when they can and therefore limit the availability and the amouint you can purchase so that more people have the opportunity to buy them.
    So whoever said, they would be losing money by not selling you more this weekend, my cousins husband was able to buy 2 of the last 4 available at their brew pub in Rohobeth (however its spelled). So I guess they had no problem selling them in the end.
    I have two at home that I'm looking forward to. At 7% I think its best to age them for 6-10 months to let the brew bottle condition. I believe most peoples issues with the taste and head have to do with the fact that most limited issue DFH beers are meant to be bottle conditioned for considerable time so that all of the ingrediants can mature and blend over time.
    Looking forward to getting a bottle from the next batch and veertically tasting to see if they did anything different.
    Cheers!
  • Options
    i would only age this beer in teh hope that the flavors present would leave :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951

That's exactly what I was thinking. Plus living in belgium not only do you have access to everything in belgium, you are what, a couple hours drive or train ride to Germany, where there is even more awesome beer. And a few hours of drive/train ride to Great Britian, where you have access to even more awesome beer.
  • Options
    RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    Finally got my one bottle in Paducah, KY. Will probably indulge over the holidays and replay PJ20.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • Options
    jb7049jb7049 Posts: 75
    I think its a bit ridiculous that people are criticisizing eachother, the band, and the brewery with regards to planning, limitations, supply and demand, etc.
    I also think its abundantly clear that people have NO COMPREHENSION whatsoever about how the beer industry works. Especially with regards to microbreweries and their process and what they are capable of.
    DFH is a microbrewery in a small town in the middle of Deleware. Their ability to brew regularly released beers, seasonals, and in the case of Faithful Ale - their one offs is based on how much space they have available. Brewing beer takes time, and the brewery has many MANY beers in high demand (see their 90 and 120 IPAs all you hopheads). With an inability the maintain demands they brew wha they can, when they can and therefore limit the availability and the amouint you can purchase so that more people have the opportunity to buy them.
    So whoever said, they would be losing money by not selling you more this weekend, my cousins husband was able to buy 2 of the last 4 available at their brew pub in Rohobeth (however its spelled). So I guess they had no problem selling them in the end.
    I have two at home that I'm looking forward to. At 7% I think its best to age them for 6-10 months to let the brew bottle condition. I believe most peoples issues with the taste and head have to do with the fact that most limited issue DFH beers are meant to be bottle conditioned for considerable time so that all of the ingrediants can mature and blend over time.
    Looking forward to getting a bottle from the next batch and veertically tasting to see if they did anything different.
    Cheers!

DFH is not a microbrewery...they've outgrown that category some time ago. I'll give you craft brewery....but far too big to be a microbrewery at this point.

Don't get me wrong....DFH is in my top 5 independent breweries. But they're not a little operation by any stretch.
    Saratoga, NY 8.27.00, Boston, MA 9.29.04, Denver, CO 7.2.06 (with Tom Petty), The Spectrum 10.30.09, The Spectrum 10.31.09, Buffalo, NY 5.10.10, Newark, NJ 5.18.10, New York, NY 6.21.11 (EV Solo), Toronto, ON 9.11.11 (Neil Young Appearance!), Hamilton, ON 9.15.11, Fenway Park 8.5.16
  • Options
    jb7049 wrote:
    DFH is not a microbrewery...they've outgrown that category some time ago. I'll give you craft brewery....but far too big to be a microbrewery at this point.

Don't get me wrong....DFH is in my top 5 independent breweries. But they're not a little operation by any stretch.

While technically correct, it's all semantics. DFH is TINY when compared to the large breweries. Anheuser-Busch dwarfs it. Whether it is 8000x less production or 1600x less production than a macrobrewery, it's still a little operation. Since 99% of the population doesn't understand the difference, it's much easier to dumb it down for them and just call DFH a microbrewery. Stop by and visit their production brewery if you are ever in that part of Delaware, it's a tiny little facility.
  • Options
    SolarWorldSolarWorld Posts: 1,902
    I also think its abundantly clear that people have NO COMPREHENSION whatsoever about how the beer industry works.

It's abundantly clear that the craft brewing industry is fucking retarted. Get your label approved for the state? Distributor doesn't know if they can get any and can't or won't find out for sure, even when the customer is asking for it?
  • Options
    Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    edited December 2011
    Mamasan23 wrote:

I was pretty underwhelmed too. I mean it tasted like a weaker duvel knock-off with a tiny bit of currant that came out once it really warmed up. It wasn't a bad beer but for 15 bucks I was expecting more. I mean I can buy an actual 330ml bottle of duvel for $3. Up until now the most expensive beers I have ever bought were $8.99 for a 750 ml bottle of Brooklyn Sorachi Ace or on a per ml basis probably Fuller's Vintage ale which is $7.25 for 500ml. Both of those are way better beers than Faithfull. And both had way better looking packaging too. I mean come on DFH, if you are going to make a beer that expensive, at least class it up a bit and throw a cork in the top or something. I am totally glad I didn't buy more than one and I hope the people who dropped $180+ on a case really enjoy it.
    Post edited by Kel Varnsen on
  • Options
    Jungle Jims outside of Cincinnati had about twenty on Friday night.
  • Options
    SolarWorld wrote:
    I also think its abundantly clear that people have NO COMPREHENSION whatsoever about how the beer industry works.

It's abundantly clear that the craft brewing industry is fucking retarted. Get your label approved for the state? Distributor doesn't know if they can get any and can't or won't find out for sure, even when the customer is asking for it?

Surely you can't think that the craft brewing industry wants to deal with all the regulation? It's the regulator that is the problem.
  • Options
    I'm SOOO BUMMED... :? :? :? :?

Just found out about this event held at LIZARDVILLE up in Cleveland TONIGHT!!!

Dogfish Head Keg Tapping and Listening Party

We're featuring Dogfish Head's special releases with a nod to some very special musicians!
    It all starts at 6:30 when we tap Faithfull Ale - Dogfish Head's celebration to Pearl Jam's 20th anniversary and listen to Pearl Jam's Ten. Next we tap Hellhound On My Ale and listen to the blues by the legendary Robert Johnson. Finally we'll tap Bitches Brew and listen to Miles Davis' perennial fusion song, Bitches Brew to close out the evening. Join us for a great night of Dogfish Head and music!

Date:
    Thursday, December 8, 2011 - 6:30pm - 11:00pm

Would've been a BLAST to hit this event...would love to try
    FAITHFULL ALE from the keg...as well as the HELLHOUND & BITCHES BREW TOO!!!

• Options
    sigh eternallysigh eternally Chicago Posts: 421
    derbydave wrote:
    I'm SOOO BUMMED... :? :? :? :?

Just found out about this event held at LIZARDVILLE up in Cleveland TONIGHT!!!

Dogfish Head Keg Tapping and Listening Party

We're featuring Dogfish Head's special releases with a nod to some very special musicians!
    It all starts at 6:30 when we tap Faithfull Ale - Dogfish Head's celebration to Pearl Jam's 20th anniversary and listen to Pearl Jam's Ten. Next we tap Hellhound On My Ale and listen to the blues by the legendary Robert Johnson. Finally we'll tap Bitches Brew and listen to Miles Davis' perennial fusion song, Bitches Brew to close out the evening. Join us for a great night of Dogfish Head and music!

Date:
    Thursday, December 8, 2011 - 6:30pm - 11:00pm

Would've been a BLAST to hit this event...would love to try
    FAITHFULL ALE from the keg...as well as the HELLHOUND & BITCHES BREW TOO!!!

Bodega has Hellhound on tap. Good stuff.