Options

Dogfish Head & PJ20

Comments

• Options
    I found a lone bottle of Hopslam. The guys that worked at the store told me they had guys waiting 3 hrs for the store to open to buy Hopslam. I tried it after seeing all the glowing reports here. It was good....but I don't see all the fuss. IMO anything by Bell's is usually overrated. But what do I know?

The best beer I ever had was this Sweetwater one time dank tank, kegs/bars only, double IPA... not the border hopper but something else.
    "Mark it 20, Dude."
  • Options
    BeerBaronBeerBaron Toronto-ish Posts: 4,089
    Evensteven wrote:
    I found a lone bottle of Hopslam. The guys that worked at the store told me they had guys waiting 3 hrs for the store to open to buy Hopslam. I tried it after seeing all the glowing reports here. It was good....but I don't see all the fuss. IMO anything by Bell's is usually overrated. But what do I know?

The best beer I ever had was this Sweetwater one time dank tank, kegs/bars only, double IPA... not the border hopper but something else.
    Beer is a matter of personal taste. I love Hopslam - probably my favourite IPA/DIPA. I also love Bell's Expedition Stout & Two Hearted Ale but I do agree with your general point that Bell's is a somewhat overrated brewery.
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • Options
    Maybe New Glarus should brew a special beer for the festival at Alpine Valley?
    AskPearlJam: PearlJama101-guest says: Who's idea was it for Eddie to play banjo on "Soon Forget"?
    Eddie: I don't know whose idea it was but it was turned down.
  • Options
    jrnycjrnyc Posts: 537
    Any word on this from PJ or DFH?
  • Options
    Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,497
    Just enjoyed a 90 Minute while watching a little of the Super Bowl. Heaven...
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,337
    Evensteven wrote:
    I just watched a show called Brew Masters where Dogfish Head did a special beer with Sony called Bitches Brew for the 40th anniversary rerelease of the Miles Davis album.

It would be totally sweet if we could get Dogfish to do the same for the PJ20 festivities, and have it on draft at the shows.

i had bitches brew a few months back. tasty.

dogfish head is awesome.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,977
    I never had any yet :oops:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    jrnycjrnyc Posts: 537
    I had an Otter Creek Alpine Black IPA for the first time yesterday, excellent!
  • Options
    Nittany1bnNittany1bn Near Philadelphia Posts: 214
    pierj53 wrote:
    My favorite breweries are ommegang, unibroue and troegs.....troegs nugget nectar is amazing prob my favorite

did unibroue discontinue "la fin du monde"? i haven't been able to find it lately (since before christmas) it's definitely my favorite unibroue...blows away the "trois pistoles" in my opinion, although "three pistols" is a great tragically hip tune
  • Options
    Nittany1bn wrote:
    pierj53 wrote:
    My favorite breweries are ommegang, unibroue and troegs.....troegs nugget nectar is amazing prob my favorite

did unibroue discontinue "la fin du monde"? i haven't been able to find it lately (since before christmas) it's definitely my favorite unibroue...blows away the "trois pistoles" in my opinion, although "three pistols" is a great tragically hip tune
    No they did not. It is a great beer and it is on the shelf at the local liquor stores.
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • Options
    RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    Evensteven wrote:

I waited too long. My liquor store started selling it on 1/20/11 and I didn't get there until 10 days later - all gone! Now I have to wait until next year!!!
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • Options
    adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,505
    adam42381 wrote:
    Somewhat unrelated, but I'm getting ready to go pick up a 6 pack of Bell's Hopslam that Total Wine is holding for me. I've never had it before so I'm pretty pumped.

I took a 2.5 hour trip the other day for a case and 5L mini-keg.

Well worth it.
    Hopslam in the bottle was my favorite beer ever until I had it on draft at Ice House Pub in Punta Gorda, FL on Thursday. Unbelievably delicious. I've never had Pliny, but if it's better than Hopslam, it may be the best beer on earth.

I really wish I'd bought more than a six pack of Hopslam. I drank 3 so far and am trying to hold on to at least one for when my brother comes down next month so we can split it. I did hear that Total Wine got in 6 more cases this week so I might pick up another 6 pack. $20 for a 6 pack before tax is a budget strainer for sure though.

http://beeradvocate.com/user/profile/adam42381
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    Abita Strawberry Lager is out. I bought a case and will save it until this summer. It's about the only good thing Abita makes.

Also, when I bought that they other day they had the last cases of Hopslam out... $15 a 6-pack.
    "Mark it 20, Dude."
  • Options
    RFTCRFTC Posts: 723
    poto101 wrote:
    Inspired by Dogfish and a few other great microbrews, I started home brewing about a year ago.

This thread gave me the idea of brewing up a batch for the anniversary festival and handing them out to fans in the parking lot to enjoy while tailgating. I have this vision of 22oz bottles with the PJ20 logo on the bottle. The big question now is what style should I brew?

well, i am brewing a saison or apa for this gig, so brew something different and we can meet up and do the tasting & distribution together. deal?
    San Diego Sports Arena - Oct 25, 2000
    MGM Grand - Jul 6, 2006
    Cox Arena - Jul 7, 2006
    New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival - May 1, 2010
    Alpine Valley Music Theater - Sep 3-4 2011
    Made In America, Philly - Sep 2, 2012
    EV, Houston - Nov 12-13, 2012
    Dallas-November 2013
    OKC-November 2013
    ACL 2-October 2014
    Fenway Night 1, August 2016
    Wrigley, Night 1 August 2018
    Fort Worth, Night 1 September 2023
    Fort Worth, Night 2 September 2023
    Austin, Night 1 September 2023
    Austin, Night 2 September 2023
  • Options
    EvenstevenEvensteven Posts: 868
    Is there a Dogfish Head employee on this board?

The Aprihop is out now. Yahoo!

Has anyone had the Dogfish/Epic collaboration?
    "Mark it 20, Dude."
  • Options
    Do they sale Epic in the US?
    "Mark it 20, Dude."
  • Options
    Just read they are doing a Robert Johnson Hellhound on my Ale tribute beer.
    10% IPA brewed with lemons.
    "Mark it 20, Dude."
  • Options
    lukinsdadlukinsdad Posts: 57
    I don't work for Dogfish, but I know some who do. I live 20 minutes from the Brewery.
  • Options
    Stop by and stuff the suggestion box!
    "Mark it 20, Dude."
  • Options
    Just read that DFH is scaling back distribution because of the success of the TV show.
  • Options
    BeerBaron wrote:
    Just read that DFH is scaling back distribution because of the success of the TV show.

what does that mean? They don't want to get too big? Or they made good money from the tv show so now they can just focus on the beer?
    "Mark it 20, Dude."
  • Options
    Let's throw out some names for the beer, styles, and ingriedients.

How about a crisp lager with honeydew, lemon and Rosemary.
    "Mark it 20, Dude."
  • Options
    Evensteven wrote:
    BeerBaron wrote:

what does that mean? They don't want to get too big? Or they made good money from the tv show so now they can just focus on the beer?
    It means that there has been such a large increase in demand for their beer that they can't keep it on the shelves in their local area. In order to get more product to local stores they have to cut back on the amount being sent to some other areas. They have officially stated that they will be pulling all of their product from four states (RI, WI, IN, TN) as well as Canada and the UK.
  • Options
    mcthudmcthud Posts: 366
    Evensteven wrote:
    Is there a Dogfish Head employee on this board?

The Aprihop is out now. Yahoo!

Has anyone had the Dogfish/Epic collaboration?

I work for the sole distributor in Massachusetts of Dogfish, Bear Republic, Stone, Great Divide, and Avery to name a few. Aprihop is out but not selling too well (by my rough estimate) up here. Then again, we haven't seen a temp over 65 in going on 4 or 5 months now. Haven't seen the collaboration with Epic yet.

I did, however see a collaboration between Stone Brewing, Green Flash, and Pizza Port that I'm making a point to try sooner than later:

http://www.stonebrew.com/news/110209pr/index.html
  • Options
    BeerBaron wrote:
    Evensteven wrote:
    BeerBaron wrote:

It means that there has been such a large increase in demand for their beer that they can't keep it on the shelves in their local area. In order to get more product to local stores they have to cut back on the amount being sent to some other areas. They have officially stated that they will be pulling all of their product from four states (RI, WI, IN, TN) as well as Canada and the UK.

That's too bad. As long as I can still get it in GA I'll be ok.

I'm really looking forward to the Hellhound on my Ale Robert Johnson tribute.
    "Mark it 20, Dude."
  • Options
    RFTCRFTC Posts: 723
    dfh's aprihop is damn good stuff. the ipa bitterness will mellow over the next couple of weeks giving way to more of the apricot in april. i will keep picking up 4 packs every couple of weeks...

in terms of suggested brews, even though i am not a lagerhead, it would appropriate to have a thirst quencher on tap for this gig, so 2 votes for that lager w/lemon, rosemary combo.
    San Diego Sports Arena - Oct 25, 2000
    MGM Grand - Jul 6, 2006
    Cox Arena - Jul 7, 2006
    New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival - May 1, 2010
    Alpine Valley Music Theater - Sep 3-4 2011
    Made In America, Philly - Sep 2, 2012
    EV, Houston - Nov 12-13, 2012
    Dallas-November 2013
    OKC-November 2013
    ACL 2-October 2014
    Fenway Night 1, August 2016
    Wrigley, Night 1 August 2018
    Fort Worth, Night 1 September 2023
    Fort Worth, Night 2 September 2023
    Austin, Night 1 September 2023
    Austin, Night 2 September 2023
  • Options
    RFTC wrote:
    dfh's aprihop is damn good stuff. the ipa bitterness will mellow over the next couple of weeks giving way to more of the apricot in april. i will keep picking up 4 packs every couple of weeks...

in terms of suggested brews, even though i am not a lagerhead, it would appropriate to have a thirst quencher on tap for this gig, so 2 votes for that lager w/lemon, rosemary combo.

Are you saying the apricot flavor will develop over time or it will be better in later batches? I bought a case the other day and I'm keeping the in the basement. Trying to hold onto my Abita strawberry lager until the summer.
    "Mark it 20, Dude."
  • Options
    usamamasan1usamamasan1 Posts: 4,695
    just passed the abita strawberry today and pissed i didn't pick up a sixer. it's good eh?
  • Options
    just passed the abita strawberry today and pissed i didn't pick up a sixer. it's good eh?

I usually find Abita to taste watered down. When I was first told about a strawberry beer I thought that did not sound good. But it's really good. The strawberry is there but subtle. It's refreshing. It's perferct beer to drink while cutting grass during the summer. I'm trying to save my stash until then.
    "Mark it 20, Dude."
  • Options
    Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,497
    Evensteven wrote:
    RFTC wrote:

Are you saying the apricot flavor will develop over time or it will be better in later batches? I bought a case the other day and I'm keeping the in the basement. Trying to hold onto my Abita strawberry lager until the summer.

Aprihop is not my favorite. There's just not enough of the Apricot flavor for me. I prefer the Pyramid Apricot. I'll have to try the Abita Strawberry.