Options

Dogfish Head & PJ20

Comments

• Options
    as awesome as this would be, i already forsee the massive amts of "pj sold out" threads starting if this were to happen

but yeah pj beer would rock
    it's largely due to eddie that i liked to jump off of things as a child...
  • Options
    as awesome as this would be, i already forsee the massive amts of "pj sold out" threads starting if this were to happen

I don't think a collaborative beer is selling out. The miles davis one was more a tribute or celebration. Same as this could be.
    "Mark it 20, Dude."
  • Options
    MG79478MG79478 Posts: 1,628
    Having made many trips to their brewpub (most before it was super trendy)... I can tell you that most casual beer drinkers will not like their beer, even if it is PJ themed. My wife has tagged along with me to countless microbreweries, and is generally pretty adventurous when it comes to beer. She has only ever found one beer that she can drink at Dogfish Head, and it’s a seasonal. They are definitely an acquired taste. I personally love half their beers, and hate the other half.
  • Options
    BH198990BH198990 Posts: 174
    i prefer Stone Anniversary Ale, FTW!!!

cheers
  • Options
    Evensteven wrote:

I don't think a collaborative beer is selling out. The miles davis one was more a tribute or celebration. Same as this could be.

dont get me wrong i understand what ur saying... but given the band's track record in choosing every business decision they have made over the past few years... people automatically jump on the "pj sold out" bandwagon... its inevitable
    it's largely due to eddie that i liked to jump off of things as a child...
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,118
    Evensteven wrote:
    Just have the 20 minute ipa...PJ20IPA on draft. ;)

20 minute would be 2% ABV. That's not how DFH rolls.

hahahaha...I know, I was messing around. But if it was the 90 minute or 120 minute, people would die.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Mitch8415 wrote:
    You guys are naming some fantastic breweries. My current ranking would be:

1) Founders
    2) Three Floyds
    3) Dogfish

Out of those 3 breweries anyhow.

You would be wrong. :)

http://www.ratebeer.com/RateBeerBest/be ... 012010.asp

I've spent a lot of time at three floyds and founders brewpubs. Unfortunately, 3F has dropped below...those idiots at Rate Beer just need to get with the times. Hell, Goose Island may have blown most of them away in 2010 and have a great start to 2011.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    pierj53 wrote:
    My favorite breweries are ommegang, unibroue and troegs.....troegs nugget nectar is amazing prob my favorite

Not my favorite breweries...but nugget nectar is delicious for sure!
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    I'm gonna crack open my last bottle on bitches brew on saturday night :D
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    jrnycjrnyc Posts: 537
    I love the dogfish head 60 minute IPA. While we are at it, some of my other favorites are:

Green Flash West Coast IPA
    Stone Ruination
    Russian River Pliney the Elder
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,127
    I brew my own beer and could do a PJ-inspired beer and bring it to PJ weekend?

I think this might be the idea right here. It's unlikely they would work with a regional brewery, as cool as that would be. We should gather up all the homebrewers, agree on a basic extract recipe, then allow everyone to tweak it from there. Perhaps a saison? A good late summer beer that allows for crazy interpretation. Use different albums/songs/lyrics to inspire where you go from the base.
  • Options
    pjl44 wrote:

I think this might be the idea right here. It's unlikely they would work with a regional brewery, as cool as that would be. We should gather up all the homebrewers, agree on a basic extract recipe, then allow everyone to tweak it from there. Perhaps a saison? A good late summer beer that allows for crazy interpretation. Use different albums/songs/lyrics to inspire where you go from the base.

Actually I think Dogfish is a perfect fit... Off center beer for off centered people. Sony worked wit them why not PJ.
    "Mark it 20, Dude."
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,127
    Evensteven wrote:
    pjl44 wrote:

Actually I think Dogfish is a perfect fit... Off center beer for off centered people. Sony worked wit them why not PJ.

Believe me, I would love to see it. It would be interesting to see what Sam comes up with. Have any of the guys ever discussed beer, though? Just seems as if it would out of left field.
  • Options
    Pearl jam needs a nice trippel or something like that. Limited run of a few thousand bottles.

Here's my recent tasty brews:

deshchutes hop in the dark
    Northwest Brother thelonious
    Twisted Pine Northstar Imperial Porter
    Boulevard Bourbon Barrell Quad
    Boulevard sixth glass

yeah beer!!
  • Options
    Guitarhero27Guitarhero27 Posts: 2,146
    pjl44 wrote:
    [Believe me, I would love to see it. It would be interesting to see what Sam comes up with. Have any of the guys ever discussed beer, though? Just seems as if it would out of left field.

I believe the guys are somewhat into beer as their previous tour-riders have requested local microbrews, however, Heineken is a mainstay for them.

On another note, I believe Eddie enjoys Coopers from Australia, I forget which one from NZ, and he enjoys Alexander Keith's when he's in Canada.

There's many different styles that can culminate PJ's style as a beer. I for one would suggest something that could be a session beer (meaning not too high of an ABV), yet quite complex with very aromatic undertones, perhaps an Imperial Pilsner or even a nice wit beer?
    9/29/96, 8/29/98, 9/8,11/98, 7/28/99, 8/23,24,25/00, 10/13/00, 4/15/03, 4/30/03, 7/8,9,12,14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/4,5,13,27,28/06, 6/1,3/06, 6/19,20,22,24,25,27/08, 7/1/08, 8/4,5,7,16/08, 8/21/09, 10/27,28,30,31/09, 5/15,17,18,20,21/10, 9/2/12, 10/18,19,21,22,25/13
  • Options
    BeerBaronBeerBaron Toronto-ish Posts: 4,089

1) Founders
    2) Three Floyds
    3) Dogfish

Can't argue with your top 2. Founders is the best brewery out there - HANDS DOWN. 3F is great too but hard to get outside of IN and IL. I would add Bell's, Great Divide or Sierra Nevada to my top 3.
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • Options
    BeerBaron wrote:

1) Founders
    2) Three Floyds
    3) Dogfish

Can't argue with your top 2. Founders is the best brewery out there - HANDS DOWN. 3F is great too but hard to get outside of IN and IL. I would add Bell's, Great Divide or Sierra Nevada to my top 3.

ahh marcus - you started my absolute love for bells. you get your hopslam yet? 3f is awesome!!!
    9/29/96, 8/29/98, 9/8,11/98, 7/28/99, 8/23,24,25/00, 10/13/00, 4/15/03, 4/30/03, 7/8,9,12,14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/4,5,13,27,28/06, 6/1,3/06, 6/19,20,22,24,25,27/08, 7/1/08, 8/4,5,7,16/08, 8/21/09, 10/27,28,30,31/09, 5/15,17,18,20,21/10, 9/2/12, 10/18,19,21,22,25/13
  • Options
    pjl44 wrote:
    [Believe me, I would love to see it. It would be interesting to see what Sam comes up with. Have any of the guys ever discussed beer, though? Just seems as if it would out of left field.

I believe the guys are somewhat into beer as their previous tour-riders have requested local microbrews, however, Heineken is a mainstay for them.

On another note, I believe Eddie enjoys Coopers from Australia, I forget which one from NZ, and he enjoys Alexander Keith's when he's in Canada.

There's many different styles that can culminate PJ's style as a beer. I for one would suggest something that could be a session beer (meaning not too high of an ABV), yet quite complex with very aromatic undertones, perhaps an Imperial Pilsner or even a nice wit beer?

this guy gets it. A beer that remind you of the pacific northwest but you could drink plenty of at a concert.

I also believe EV is into corona. He had that box on stage and in that spin article prior to Backspacer release pretty much every story started with EV getting a beer.
    "Mark it 20, Dude."
  • Options
    BeerBaronBeerBaron Toronto-ish Posts: 4,089
    BeerBaron wrote:

1) Founders
    2) Three Floyds
    3) Dogfish

ahh marcus - you started my absolute love for bells. you get your hopslam yet? 3f is awesome!!!
    Got lucky this year. Was in central PA for work last week right when Hopslam hit the market in Ohio. I took a 90 minute detour on my drive back home and grabbed a case. I had never had it this fresh before and it is ridiculously good. Missed out on the fresh batch of Nugget Nectar by a couple of days though, but those are the breaks.
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • Options
    Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,497
    Can't believe I missed this thread yesterday!

Sam seems like he's pretty much into doing anything be it collaborating with corporations or chewing corn to make some ancient beer (if you've seen the other episodes of Brewmasters). If he's a PJ fan, he'd probably be up for doing something with the guys. It would just be a matter of the band being open to something like that. Having something other than Miller Lite to drink at the festival would be a blessing.
  • Options
    BH304897BH304897 Posts: 137
    I love dogfish head, but honestly it's not the brewery thats going to appeal to the masses of people. Also I'm not sure that in the middle of the summer, with it being hot and what not, that an ale is something a lot of people would crave, maybe back at the camp site but probably not during the show. Also if this thing is at Alpine Valley or somewhere near, it's not like Milwaukee is exactly lacking breweries. If they were to do something like this it probably needs to be a lager of some type.
  • Options
    MaxGoldenrodMaxGoldenrod Posts: 1,341
    pierj53 wrote:
    Haha. Noooo. My buddy Scott is the regional rep for Dogfish head here in Atlanta. 60 minute IPA is very similar to a couple of Atlanta based beers. I keep the 3 in rotation at my house on draft. Dogfish is very popular in the city of atlanta, not so much in the burbs.

Thinking about taking a job in douglasville....is the area ok? I did some research and atl is like 20 mikes away, would I be able to score a decent apt in atl for 1000 a mo? Or better off living outside of the city? I'm 27 yrs old thanks in advance!

Check out Dallas GA if you are going to Douglasville. Only about 20 mins away and quiet. Could look at Villa Rica as well. Prices will be considerably cheaper out there than in Atlanta proper or parts of Cobb county. Although north and west Cobb are very nice and not too far from Douglasville.

Sweetwater...mmm I need to make it out there on a Thursday or Friday evening again really soon.

Dogfish Head IPA for PJ20...I like it 8-)
    "Then the Spirit of God hovered over the water, and God said, Let there be music, and there was Pearl Jam."

Whose idea was it for the word "Lisp" to have an "S" in it?
  • Options
    My first post on the board, it might as well be about beer :D

I would jump on some Pearl Jam inspired Dogfish in a heart beat. DFH has quickly become my favorite brewery over the last couple of months. 90 Minute IPA, Midas Touch, and Raison D'Etre are all amazing beers. I can't wait to get my hands on some 120 Minute in a couple of months.

If this were to happen I'd love to see what they could come up with that would take the idea of PJ and translate it to beer. I can only assume to word 'grunge' would be thrown around quite often.
    * Cincinnati, OH 8.20.2000 *
    * Cincinnati, OH 6.24.2006 *
    * Columbus, OH 5.6.2010 * Noblesville, IN 5.7.2010 *
    * East Troy, MI 9.4.2011 * East Troy, MI 9.5.2011 *
    * Pittsburgh, PA 10.11.2013 *
  • Options
    camaroscamaros Posts: 1,003
    hahahaha...I know, I was messing around. But if it was the 90 minute or 120 minute, people would die.

agreed : :D
    i like sound...
  • Options
    camaros wrote:

agreed : :D

I think it should be around 5%, one percent for each member...
    "Mark it 20, Dude."
  • Options
    BeerBaron wrote:
    BeerBaron wrote:

Got lucky this year. Was in central PA for work last week right when Hopslam hit the market in Ohio. I took a 90 minute detour on my drive back home and grabbed a case. I had never had it this fresh before and it is ridiculously good. Missed out on the fresh batch of Nugget Nectar by a couple of days though, but those are the breaks.

Gotta try it on draft. It's delicious....but dangerous at 10% and so drinkable, for me at least.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    Fantastic idea, here. Love Dogfish Head & their business model. Seems like it could be a good partnership for Pearl Jam, if it ever develops.

Didn't see this mentioned in the thread, but thought it deserves a nod. I don't think this was sanctioned by the band, but Wilco thought enough of it to bring some attention to it on their website & facebook once it hit the shelves:

http://www.unnecessaryumlaut.com/?p=3238

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    Evensteven wrote:

this guy gets it. A beer that remind you of the pacific northwest but you could drink plenty of at a concert.

I also believe EV is into corona. He had that box on stage and in that spin article prior to Backspacer release pretty much every story started with EV getting a beer.

Well, I did think of the Pac NW in another way, using some nice cascade hops for an IPA style with lots of citrus taste to it, however IPA's aren't something that everyone can enjoy hence the idea for an Imperial Pilsner, Wit beer, or something of the sort that can balance the bitterness of some west coast/pac northwest hops.
  • Options
    erik768erik768 Decatur, GA Posts: 117
    Best idea yet for the PJ Fest. :D
    PJ
    2003 Tampa 2004 Kissimmee 2007 Chicago 2008 West Palm Beach, Tampa, Columbia 2009 Toronto, Chicago 1-2, Philadelphia 3-4 2010 New Orleans 2011 PJ20/East Troy 1-2 2012 Atlanta 2013 Baltimore 2016 Miami, Greenville 2018 Boston 1 2020 St. Louis 2022 Nashville, St. Louis 2023 Noblesville, Austin 1-2 2024 Chicago 1-2
    EV
    2009 Atlanta 1-2 2012 Jacksonville
  • Options
    Evensteven wrote:

Well, I did think of the Pac NW in another way, using some nice cascade hops for an IPA style with lots of citrus taste to it, however IPA's aren't something that everyone can enjoy hence the idea for an Imperial Pilsner, Wit beer, or something of the sort that can balance the bitterness of some west coast/pac northwest hops.

Sweetwater once made this double IPA, not the Border Hopper but some other one as a Dank Tank on draft only... it was by far the best 8 oz. of liquid I have ever tasted. A double IPA that was so subtle that the hops didn't overwhelm... didn't taste like an IPA in a good way.
    "Mark it 20, Dude."