Options

Dogfish Head & PJ20

Comments

• Options
    EvenstevenEvensteven Posts: 868
    Elysian Brewery in Seattle is paying homage to the label that brought us Green River with a craft brewed pale ale. If you can find it, why not give it a try?

Loser Pale Ale is brewed in honor of Sub Pop Records – Seattle’s ground-breaking Independent Record Label which is well known for first signing artists such as Mudhoney, Nirvana and Soundgarden back in the grunge era. While the music scene has changed over the years, Sub Pop remains one of the premier record labels in Seattle and continues to showcase talented artists across the country. This being the case, our goal was to make Loser a standout act – the prevalent hops featured in this beer are the unique and not widely available Sorachi Ace hops. This hop variety originated in Japan and is currently only grown one place in the United States – the Gamache Family Hop Farms in Yakima, Washington.
    "Mark it 20, Dude."
  • Options
    Any new brews going around?

What's the scoop on Brewdog from Scotland? Had their IPA the other day, very good.

Still looking forward to the Robert Johnson ale.
    "Mark it 20, Dude."
  • Options
    StickmanJamStickmanJam Posts: 425
    I just had the Paolo Santo Marron on tap this past friday, very rich and tasty. Not into many stouts, but I definitely enjoyed it.

Loving the Aprihop as well.
    MSG 7/8-7/9/03 -- Boston 9/28/04 -- Hartford 5/13/06 -- Boston 5/24-5/25/06 -- MSG 6/24-6/25/08 -- Hartford 6/27/08 -- Philly 10/31/09 -- Hartford 5/15/10 -- Boston 5/17/10
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,118
    I just had the Paolo Santo Marron on tap this past friday, very rich and tasty. Not into many stouts, but I definitely enjoyed it.

Well, the Palo Santo Marron is a brown ale, not a stout. So you can like it and continue to dislike stouts. ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    StickmanJamStickmanJam Posts: 425

Well, the Palo Santo Marron is a brown ale, not a stout. So you can like it and continue to dislike stouts. ;)

Really? Wow...haha. But...I did enjoy Chicory Stout as well, so again, I still can't fully hate on stouts.
    MSG 7/8-7/9/03 -- Boston 9/28/04 -- Hartford 5/13/06 -- Boston 5/24-5/25/06 -- MSG 6/24-6/25/08 -- Hartford 6/27/08 -- Philly 10/31/09 -- Hartford 5/15/10 -- Boston 5/17/10
  • Options
    Tenzing N.Tenzing N. Posts: 466
    After drinking some fine IPAs recently I would love to have a Pearl Jam inspired IPA with loads of northwest hops. In any case I plan on having many of my favorite brews on hand for pre and post PJ20 activities.

West coast IPA
    Boulevard Sixth Glass
    Deschutes anything with lots of hops...

Juat to name a few.
  • Options
    DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    Tenzing N. wrote:
    After drinking some fine IPAs recently I would love to have a Pearl Jam inspired IPA with loads of northwest hops. In any case I plan on having many of my favorite brews on hand for pre and post PJ20 activities.

West coast IPA
    Boulevard Sixth Glass
    Deschutes anything with lots of hops...

Juat to name a few.

Would that be Green Flash West Coast IPA??

I am currently drinking a Clown Shoes Hoppy Feet.... talk about hoppy!
  • Options
    Yazoo Hop Project is pretty damn hoppy. It's from Nashville.
    "Mark it 20, Dude."
  • Options
    The new Sweetwater Dank Tank Mean Joe Bean is pretty good.
    "Mark it 20, Dude."
  • Options
    I may be getting Firestone Walker Double Jack on tap soon. I hear it is excellent.
  • Options
    Yeah that is Green Flash West coast and I just can't put it down. Absolutely perfect beer. I've been drinking some pretty big beers like triples and quads and then switching to this now that it's warmed up has been great.
  • Options
    Tenzing N. wrote:
    Yeah that is Green Flash West coast and I just can't put it down. Absolutely perfect beer. I've been drinking some pretty big beers like triples and quads and then switching to this now that it's warmed up has been great.

I have a select group of regulars who LOVE Green Flash - hard to get here in RI, but I try to keep it in stock.
  • Options
    jrnycjrnyc Posts: 537
    Tenzing N. wrote:
    Great beer , I love it. If you are ever in Southern California, head to San Diego and hit the breweries out there. A lot of them in close proximity to each other. They have tasting rooms where you can taste a bunch of beers for great prices.

I love ipas some of my faves:

Green flash west coast IPA
    Ballast point sculpin
    Stone ruination
    Goose island IPA
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    BeerBaron wrote:
    Evensteven wrote:
    BeerBaron wrote:
    Just read that DFH is scaling back distribution because of the success of the TV show.

what does that mean? They don't want to get too big? Or they made good money from the tv show so now they can just focus on the beer?
    It means that there has been such a large increase in demand for their beer that they can't keep it on the shelves in their local area. In order to get more product to local stores they have to cut back on the amount being sent to some other areas. They have officially stated that they will be pulling all of their product from four states (RI, WI, IN, TN) as well as Canada and the UK.

Not sure if this was extrapolated enough to its logical conclusion:

Should PJ20 happen at Alpine Valley in Wisconsin, there would be no Dogfish Head there to celebrate with.

A commemorative beer is a splendid idea. I hope those of you with influence are able to pitch to the right brewmaster and make it happen.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    what kind of beer do you think pj would taste like? a nut brown ale, maybe? i'm thinking something along the lines of abita pecan.
  • Options
    If you want a beer that is like PJ I think it can't be a one note wonder first of all. Nothing with a specific flavor hook or a style thats too trendy. I think it has to be a style that can be fairly dark with some roast but plenty of balance. Something you can sit with for a while, maybe let it warm in your hand for a little to mellow it out. I would say it should also have a high alcohol content in case you wanted to cellar it for a while to see what comes back out. I'm sort of leaning toward a triple maybe since it shares some wine characteristics. Better with a little conditioning.

As far as what I'd ike to drink at say a concert that's different. Nothing too big, should be an easy drink without too much booze so I can have a few and enjoy them. Lots of flavor- hoppy for sure. I haven't figured out the style yet but maybe something leaning toward an IPA with a little Belgium influence to make it interesting. For some reason I think some good fruit notes would be great but not lemon like some have mentioned here before.
  • Options
    mcthudmcthud Posts: 366
    Tenzing N. wrote:

I have a select group of regulars who LOVE Green Flash - hard to get here in RI, but I try to keep it in stock.

Know of any place in MA where I could get my paws on some?
  • Options
    what does that mean? They don't want to get too big? Or they made good money from the tv show so now they can just focus on the beer?[/quote]
    It means that there has been such a large increase in demand for their beer that they can't keep it on the shelves in their local area. In order to get more product to local stores they have to cut back on the amount being sent to some other areas. They have officially stated that they will be pulling all of their product from four states (RI, WI, IN, TN) as well as Canada and the UK.[/quote]

Not sure if this was extrapolated enough to its logical conclusion:

Should PJ20 happen at Alpine Valley in Wisconsin, there would be no Dogfish Head there to celebrate with.

A commemorative beer is a splendid idea. I hope those of you with influence are able to pitch to the right brewmaster and make it happen.

.[/quote]

so I see they may not ship to WI. Idont really think of PJ20 as just the festival. PJ20 is all this stuff: rerelease, tour, movie, weekend festival, etc. Now wee just need a beer to go with it all.
    "Mark it 20, Dude."
  • Options
    I'm going to check out this Green Flash. Is it sold in Georgia?
    "Mark it 20, Dude."
  • Options
    Evensteven wrote:

Ratebeer says several Green Flash versions are sold in Georgia
  • Options
    I walked into my favorite distributor today, as soon as I got in the worker who kind of knows me grabbed me. I saw they were drinking, he told me they have Ballast Point Sculpin. What a surprise, it is an awesome beer and hard to find in New York. This place has never had it , I was psyched that they had it! The two guys who work there were having it for the first time, they loved it! I bought 3 bombers. This beer has an awesome smell and great taste!
  • Options
    BeerBaronBeerBaron Toronto-ish Posts: 4,089
    jrnyc wrote:
    I walked into my favorite distributor today, as soon as I got in the worker who kind of knows me grabbed me. I saw they were drinking, he told me they have Ballast Point Sculpin. What a surprise, it is an awesome beer and hard to find in New York. This place has never had it , I was psyched that they had it! The two guys who work there were having it for the first time, they loved it! I bought 3 bombers. This beer has an awesome smell and great taste!
    Sculpin in delicious!
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • Options
    BeerBaron wrote:
    jrnyc wrote:
    Sculpin in delicious!

What type of beer is it? And where is it brewed?
    "Mark it 20, Dude."
  • Options
    mcthudmcthud Posts: 366
    Got to try a new one today. Sneaky Pete Imperial IPA. I'm admittedly NOT an IPA kinda guy, but this one struck a chord with me. Beer Advocate article if anyone's interested:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/25067/66707
  • Options
    mcthud wrote:
    Got to try a new one today. Sneaky Pete Imperial IPA. I'm admittedly NOT an IPA kinda guy, but this one struck a chord with me. Beer Advocate article if anyone's interested:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/25067/66707

That looks pretty good. One review said, "heard it's a hopslam clone...not quite". Am I the only person that thinks hopslam is overrated, especially for the price? I promise you Sweetwater made a Double IPA that was so limited, yet so awesome, it blows hopslam out of the water. It wasn't bottled. I hope they Dank Tank it next year.
    "Mark it 20, Dude."
  • Options
    Just had some Yazoo Hop Project. Pretty good.

Pacing myself on the Aprihop.

And also had Sweetwater Mean Joe Bean.
    "Mark it 20, Dude."
  • Options
    Tenzing N. wrote:
    Evensteven wrote:

Ratebeer says several Green Flash versions are sold in Georgia

I was told Green Flash is not sold in Georgia.
    "Mark it 20, Dude."
  • Options
    Evensteven wrote:
    BeerBaron wrote:
    jrnyc wrote:
    Sculpin in delicious!

What type of beer is it? And where is it brewed?
    It is an IPA , brewed in San Diego. Great smell, top notch IPA.
  • Options
    Heard a lot about this beer, it is highly rated, had one for the first time yesterday. It was excellent , nice smell, incredibly drinkable. It is seasonal, goes very fast , hard to get your hands on this one.
  • Options
    thefin190thefin190 Posts: 918
    If PJ was going to have a beer brewed for them, I would imagine it being a Northwestern microbrewery that would make it. I think that a Redhook special Pearl Jam beer would be amazing.
    Member Number: 437xxx

Pearl Jam:
    Key Arena - Seattle, WA - Sep 21, 2009
    Pacific Coliseum - Vancouver, BC - Sep 25, 2011
    Key Arena - Seattle, WA - Dec 6, 2013

Eddie Vedder Solo:
    Benaroya Hall - Seattle, WA - Jul 15, 2011