Options

** updated COLLEGE BASKETBALL 2023 / 2024. **

Comments

• Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    So happy when Duke loses. :D
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Hoyas :cry:
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    Nice win for UConn after playing like shit against Seton Hall and Rutgers. During that Seton Hall game, every call went for Seton Hall.

I like when Jay Bilas does games. He's one of the few commentators that I like.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Newch91 wrote:
    Nice win for UConn after playing like shit against Seton Hall and Rutgers. During that Seton Hall game, every call went for Seton Hall.

I like when Jay Bilas does games. He's one of the few commentators that I like.

He's grown on me as well. I didn't like him at first because of Dook. It was just like with Aikman and the Cowboys but now Troy is one of the best out there.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Brandon Paul!!!! Lou 'do in the house!!! Wowzers!!
  • Options
    pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    DewieCox wrote:

Always nice to see those bitches from Columbus lose.
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,211
    DewieCox wrote:

Brandon Paul was awesome last night. Big Ten is stacked with lots of good teams this year.

Louisville is the most overrated team in the country.

Syracuse only great team in Big East.
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    Wrong.
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:
    Wrong.

i'm guessing since you are a Uconn guy you think Uconn is great? saw them against Rutgers...wasn't that impressed, wouldn't call them great. anyone else you think?
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    pjhawks wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:
    Wrong.

i'm guessing since you are a Uconn guy you think Uconn is great? saw them against Rutgers...wasn't that impressed, wouldn't call them great. anyone else you think?

I agree with pjhawks regarding the big east. I have seen Uconn a few times. Lamb is talented, but that team doesn't impress me. They had a tough time at home the other night vs a blah WV squad.

And Louisville is absolutely the most overrated team.
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:
    Wrong.

It's early in BE play. By the end of the season they are going to dominate.
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    it's early in BE play. By the end of the season they are going to dominate.

maybe but right now can't call a team that got dominated by seton hall, lost to rutgers and eeked by south florida as great.
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    it's early in BE play. By the end of the season they are going to dominate.

maybe but right now can't call a team that got dominated by seton hall, lost to rutgers and eeked by south florida as great.
    Did you see the Seton Hall game? No calls went to UConn at all. They also didn't play well in that game.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,938
    Syracuse vs Nova tonight. Hate to say it but theC use will probably destroy Nova tonight.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,938
    Syracuse vs Nova tonight. Hate to say it but theC use will probably destroy Nova tonight.

only lost by 13
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Nice to see my Badgers get a much needed win in ending Purdue's home court winning streak. Good game going in Bloomington between MN and IU and Gus is on the call!
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
  • Options
    Good OpEd piece from the NYT a couple days ago about the NCAA investigating players, talking about Ryan Boatright being investigated again.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/21/opini ... basketball

Guilty Until Proved Innocent
    By JOE NOCERA
    Published: January 20, 2012

In America, a person is presumed innocent until proved guilty. Unless, that is, he plays college sports.

When the N.C.A.A. investigates an athlete for breaking its rules, not only is he presumed guilty but his punishment begins before he knows what he’s accused of. He is not told who his accuser is. The N.C.A.A. will delve into the personal relationships of his relatives and demand their bank statements and other private records. And it will hand down its verdict without so much as a hearing. Reputations have been ruined on accusations so flimsy that they would be laughed out of any court in the land. Then again, the N.C.A.A. isn’t a court of law. It’s more powerful.

Like most sports fans, I had always assumed that if an athlete was sanctioned by the N.C.A.A., he must have done something wrong. I don’t assume that anymore. Many N.C.A.A. infractions consist of actions that most people would consider perfectly appropriate — and entirely legal — but that the N.C.A.A. has chosen to criminalize. Today’s case in point: the ongoing N.C.A.A. harassment — there is no other word for it — of Ryan Boatright, a basketball player at the University of Connecticut.

Boatright is 19 years old, a freshman guard who was named Mr. Basketball in Illinois during his senior year of high school. He grew up in Aurora, outside of Chicago, one of four children raised by his mother, Tanesha. He clearly sees basketball as his means to a better life.

But to get to that better life, whether in the N.B.A. or a European league, he needs to be able to play in college, and, so far, the N.C.A.A. has done its best to prevent that from happening. Before the season began, it informed Connecticut that Boatright was under investigation for accepting “improper benefits” in high school. (That’s right: The N.C.A.A. regulates the behavior of athletes who have not yet joined the N.C.A.A.) Connecticut immediately suspended him from the team; otherwise it risked forfeiting games that Boatright played in. That’s how the system works — and it’s why I say that players are punished before they even know the charges against them.

Sure enough, the N.C.A.A. eventually informed Connecticut that Boatright would be suspended for six games — and that he would have to come up with $100 a month to repay the “impermissible benefit.” (I was unable to learn how long the payments will continue, but I hear that it is substantial.)

Surely, Boatright must have done something awful to merit that kind of punishment, right? In fact, he did nothing at all. It was his mother who had violated N.C.A.A. rules. Her crime was looking out for her son.

Like any parent would, she wanted to visit the schools her son was considering. But under N.C.A.A. rules, the universities recruiting Ryan are only allowed to pay his way, not hers. So she got the money from an old friend, Reggie Rose, an A.A.U. coach in Aurora and the older brother of Derrick Rose, the Chicago Bulls star. Boatright played for Rose during his last two years of high school, but his mother had known Rose well before then. That airfare is the “impermissible benefit.”

“Reggie Rose is not a UConn booster,” says Sonny Vaccaro, a former Nike marketer who is now a critic of the N.C.A.A. “He is not an agent. He has a pre-existing relationship with Ryan’s mother. He was doing what anyone would do: lending a hand. That should be applauded.”

Instead, the N.C.A.A. told Tanesha that she should “stay away” from Rose — thus claiming yet another absurd power: the power to dictate who an athlete’s parents can befriend. (Tanesha declined to comment.)

And how did the N.C.A.A. find out about Tanesha’s airfare? Get this: The N.C.A.A. heard about it from her ex-boyfriend, a convicted felon who, according to Ryan’s cousin, Jaeh Thomas, had once seen Ryan as “his big ticket.” When the relationship turned ugly, he vowed to exact revenge on Tanesha by calling in the N.C.A.A., according to Thomas and Mike McAllister, Ryan’s father. If this were a court proceeding, the ex-boyfriend’s credibility could be challenged and his motives questioned. Instead, in its crazed obsession with its extra-legal rules, the N.C.A.A. is willing to serve the interests of an angry ex-boyfriend who wants to ruin an athlete’s career to get back at his mother. It almost defies belief.

Ryan did finally get to play once his suspension ended. His case had been closed. Last Saturday, against Notre Dame, was supposed to be his fourth game back. South Bend is only two-and-a-half hours from Aurora, and more than 400 Aurora residents bought tickets to the game. Ryan was excited at the prospect of playing in front of friends and family. Finally, he thought, his troubles with the N.C.A.A. were over.

But he was wrong. What happened next will be the subject of Tuesday’s column.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,315
    has anyone watched any of that buzzer beater channel on espn?

i like it
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

i like it
    Never heard of it. It's a channel or show?
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,315
    Newch91 wrote:

i like it

its sort of like the nfl redzone...actually it's more like mlb's nightly show where they cut into the interesting games. nba tv does the same thing. and while they are on a certain game, you have all the scores for the other games on the left hand side of the screen. espn has a college football version of this too.

the basketball version is all night wednesday and all day/night saturday
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:

i like it

its sort of like the nfl redzone...actually it's more like mlb's nightly show where they cut into the interesting games. nba tv does the same thing. and while they are on a certain game, you have all the scores for the other games on the left hand side of the screen. espn has a college football version of this too.

the basketball version is all night wednesday and all day/night saturday
    I think I saw something like that last night after the UConn game, when they showed the end of regulation of the WVU game and switched to the Duke game, I think.
  • Options
    CallawayCallaway Posts: 635
    edited February 2012
    Post edited by Callaway on
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,649
    Callaway wrote:
    Jared Sullinger is about to bust out for the remainder of the season. I look for some 30 point 20 board games upcoming.

Homer call. He might get 30 on my Boilers, though. PU has no inside game.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
  • Options
    Another good Op-Ed by Joe Nocera about the NCAA and their investigating techniques.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/24/opini ... =joenocera
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,649
    Callaway wrote:
    Go Beavers wrote:
    Callaway wrote:
    Jared Sullinger is about to bust out for the remainder of the season. I look for some 30 point 20 board games upcoming.

Homer call. He might get 30 on my Boilers, though. PU has no inside game.

I believe Sully is going to average around 11 boards this year and was only around 9.1 so I figured it was about time he started dominating on the glass. Also I think Jared is wanting the ball more and getting really focused, he left twitter and said he needs to get serious. Matta also said Jared needs to step up a little more. These reasons are why the call was made. I guess we will see, I could be way off but we will soon find out.

Nice flop by Smith on the wiffed elbow in the Michigan game. Then he gets up off the floor like he really got tagged. He couldn't even fool Valentine :lol:
  • Options
    edited February 2012
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    Another good Op-Ed by Joe Nocera about the NCAA and their investigating techniques.

reading that article sure seems like the ncaa has a case. i mean a woman who can't buy christmas presents is suddenly buying or accepting plane tickets a few months later...umm ok.

what does this guy expect the ncaa to do? does he want the families to be able to accept money from agents and such and still be eligible? i don't get it. and there is nothing saying these players have to play in the NCAA. if you want to play you have to play by the rules.

and the 3 refs in the west virginia - syracuse game should be suspended for a week or so. just awful. huggy bear was a heck of alot more calm after that game than i would have been.
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

reading that article sure seems like the ncaa has a case. i mean a woman who can't buy christmas presents is suddenly buying or accepting plane tickets a few months later...umm ok.

what does this guy expect the ncaa to do? does he want the families to be able to accept money from agents and such and still be eligible? i don't get it. and there is nothing saying these players have to play in the NCAA. if you want to play you have to play by the rules.

and the 3 refs in the west virginia - syracuse game should be suspended for a week or so. just awful. huggy bear was a heck of alot more calm after that game than i would have been.
    The Op-Ed before this, he makes a great point of the NCAA saying they're investigating a player, but won't say. I think I posted it in this thread.
  • Options
    Callaway wrote:
    Go Beavers wrote:
    Nice flop by Smith on the wiffed elbow in the Michigan game. Then he gets up off the floor like he really got tagged. He couldn't even fool Valentine :lol:

That was Deshaun Thomas not Lenzelle Smith Jr.

Easy win for Ohio State, didn't even really work up a sweat in this one. Very tough opponets coming up though, they won't walk through the next 3 like they did today. I expect a lose in the house of spitters where Thad has yet to win a game even with some really dominate teams he has taken into the Kohl Center.

Will be there Saturday. Gonna be a tuff game for my Badgers. Was at the Indiana game Thur. night and they will need to play better as OSU is much tougher competition. Really hoping we just go inside and try getting Sullinger in foul trouble, but we will probably try to live and die on the three which will extremely piss me off.