**OFFICIAL** 2011 IIHF WORLD JR. HOCKEY THREAD

13»

Comments

• neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    kenshunt wrote:
    Must have been the bad mojo from all those fuckin Leaf fans comming down to watch! :evil:

Everything is the Leafs fault lol, really it was the panic that set in after the 2nd goal went in imo, but beleaf what you will Hawkshore.[/quote]

holy moly..whats up pal ?

long time no see...hope all is well
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Had a friend over last night who loves hockey to watch the game, coincidentally he's from Edmonton.

I have to say that was my first time watching an entire hockey game on television, and it was great! Although Canada really let that shit slip away...
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • kenshuntkenshunt Posts: 2,863
    kenshunt wrote:
    Must have been the bad mojo from all those fuckin Leaf fans comming down to watch! :evil:

Everything is the Leafs fault lol, really it was the panic that set in after the 2nd goal went in imo, but beleaf what you will Hawkshore.

long time no see...hope all is well[/quote]

All is good except for the fact the Leafs suck and Canada blew a 3 goal lead in the gold medal game.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    kenshunt wrote:
    kenshunt wrote:

Everything is the Leafs fault lol, really it was the panic that set in after the 2nd goal went in imo, but beleaf what you will Hawkshore.

long time no see...hope all is well

All is good except for the fact the Leafs suck and Canada blew a 3 goal lead in the gold medal game.[/quote]

yea but you ripped the olympic gold out of my chest ..so don't complain :mrgreen:

rangers in ot last night ;)
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    The coach should have called a time out after the second goal to settle the team down, not after the third goal. Got to remember these are 18 old kids that are generally following the lead of the coach and are the best junior hockey players Canada has, so I have no reason to believe that if they strayed from the game plan then they would have got back on track if the coaching staff had got after them.

We knew the Russians were capable of comebacks they have done this all tournament long.

With that being said, the only problem I have with hockey Canada at the junior level is the politics involved, never understood how Dale Hunter has never been asked to be head coach, the London Knights under him as head coach have been a model of consistency and memorial cup champs, and my personal choice for this team should have been Bob Boughner, the job he did with the Windsor Spitfires was truly remarkable, and back 2 back memorial cups. One thing great about the boogie man he never stops coaching, he's always giving direction, harping at the guys, motivating and with him
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • kenshuntkenshunt Posts: 2,863
    lukin2006 wrote:
    The coach should have called a time out after the second goal to settle the team down, not after the third goal. Got to remember these are 18 old kids that are generally following the lead of the coach and are the best junior hockey players Canada has, so I have no reason to believe that if they strayed from the game plan then they would have got back on track if the coaching staff had got after them.

We knew the Russians were capable of comebacks they have done this all tournament long.

With that being said, the only problem I have with hockey Canada at the junior level is the politics involved, never understood how Dale Hunter has never been asked to be head coach, the London Knights under him as head coach have been a model of consistency and memorial cup champs, and my personal choice for this team should have been Bob Boughner, the job he did with the Windsor Spitfires was truly remarkable, and back 2 back memorial cups. One thing great about the boogie man he never stops coaching, he's always giving direction, harping at the guys, motivating and with him

I agree Hunter is a great junior hockey coach and ever since the Knights moved to downtown London they have been a model of junior success, and Windsor is awesome as well, i went to a playoff game last year in Windsor and sadly i will admit that the fans blew the roof off the place, London seems to be lke Leafs fans and not into the game as much as they should.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
    kenshunt wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

I agree Hunter is a great junior hockey coach and ever since the Knights moved to downtown London they have been a model of junior success, and Windsor is awesome as well, i went to a playoff game last year in Windsor and sadly i will admit that the fans blew the roof off the place, London seems to be lke Leafs fans and not into the game as much as they should.

I was at game 7 of the Kitchener series, the place was just a rockin. The things Boogie did with that team...he deserved to be head coach of Canada. Back 2 Back Memorial Cups, first Cup champion to lose the firtst 2 games then win it all, down 3-0 to kitchener comeback and win series, take a tired team and sweep Barrie and not and win 4 in a row for the cup. With him or Hunter they never would have collapsed, those 2 never stop coaching.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/olyhockey ... id=5995103

Team Russia kicked off plane

Associated Press

CHEEKTOWAGA, N.Y. -- An unruly Team Russia was booted from a flight at the Buffalo airport while trying to get home after winning the gold medal at the world junior hockey championships.

Airport spokesman C. Douglas Hartmayer says all 32 or so members of the Russian contingent were asked to get off a Delta flight headed to Atlanta after boarding for takeoff early Thursday morning.

Hartmayer says the group then left the terminal but didn't know where it went.

Tournament officials had no immediate comment. A call to a Delta spokeswoman wasn't immediately returned.

Russia overcame a three-goal deficit in the third period to stun Canada 5-3 in the gold-medal game Wednesday night.

There is winning with class and losing with class, the Russians do neither very well.

• Hello there, can anyone tell the score please? :lol:
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    Hello there, can anyone tell the score please? :lol:

3-0 Canada
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    I agree Hunter is a great junior hockey coach and ever since the Knights moved to downtown London they have been a model of junior success, and Windsor is awesome as well, i went to a playoff game last year in Windsor and sadly i will admit that the fans blew the roof off the place, London seems to be lke Leafs fans and not into the game as much as they should.[/quote]

London is a very conservative, snooty, stuck-up city
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • lukin2006 wrote:

I agree that he should have called a timeout after the second goal as well. Once it reached 3-3 it was too late. For me the turning point was when we took the too many men penalty. That was a HUGE mistake on the bench and allowed the Russians to end a period with momentum and start a period with momentum.

The game should have been well out of reach after the first. Despite being pulled, Bobkov stood on his head or it could have been five nothing.

It's easier to look good at the Jr levels as a head coach when you can put out Hall, Ellis, Fowler just to name a few. Those guys are serious studs, two of which are impact players in the show.

That said, what more do you want for Boughner, he's got an assistant job in Columbus....I'm sure he's happy. You can't complain about politics one way and not the other....IMO Boughner would have never been given the shot in WIndsor if he wasn't a local product and a past NHL player.
    Adolescence in essence is all about trust.
    Leaving is for the answering machine.
    Well of course him being a local product helped as well as past NHL experience. I guess he's the only junior coach to have a few stud players, he still won back to back cups, making it the only the 8 th time being done. I attended many games here he is a heck of junior coach. As for him coaching the spitfires, really no politics, he's part owner and president of the team, he really didn't have to politic or kiss ass to get the job.

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,680
    just got back to reality after a 15 day "hockey vacation".

What a great tournament. Internationally, I really dont pull for anybody. That Etem dickhead really turned me off to the US team. Also a very dull team and nobody stands out. Went to all the Canada games except for Norway. Very solid, likable team. I love Foligno and Kassian and cannot wait until they are on the Sabres. LeBlanc is great, Schenn, Johanson, Hamilton, the list goes on.... actually, Ellis is the one player who kind of annoys me.

It would have been kind of uneventful and standard if Canada won convincingly. Its their tournament. Until about 10PM last night, you can argue that this tourney from year to year is a 1.5 team tournament. Canada, and the US sometimes. Russia winning makes this a 4 team tournament for next year IMO and it will be the best WJC in years. Russia, USA, a revenge-driven Canada, and Sweden... at times Sweden looked like the best team out there. Some of their players and coaches were sitting behind me at the Gold Medal game and they looked soooooo pissed off. Almost like murderous. Finland could be competitive. Also, I think Latvia and Belarus will move up so the tourney will be stronger on the bottom end. Also add the fact that its going to be in Calgary and Edmonton.... wow. Cant wait.

I cheered for all teams in the tournament for the most part, which was fun. A player on a breakaway, you get excited, then he gets stoned by a sick save and you still get to go nuts. I wore a Slovakia jersey and Finland hat the entire tournament. Russia kind of became a team I pulled for a bit. That Quarterfinal comeback OT win against Finland was awesome, and their Semi Final victory against Sweden may have been the best game in the Tournament. Very gutsy. Then a 5 unanswered goal 3rd period in the gold medal game against the best u20 team (head and shoulders IMO). What a run.

As a Buffalo sports fan, I know too well the feeling all the Canadians had when the game ended. I have been there before. Most of the Canadians were great throughout the tournament.... with about 3% as complete dicks. Pretty good percentage considering they estimated serving 3 million ounces of beer in the Arena throughout the tournament. People in Buffalo did support the tournament. The premier games were priced too high though for most casual Western new York fans. I know now that Junior Hockey is on the radar in the area and it wasnt 3 weeks ago. If they held this tournament in Buffalo again, I guarantee that fans on the US side of the border would be a bit better represented. Also remember the entire business plan of Sabres ownership is to make full/season tickets cheap so WNY fans buy the tickets and sell Leafs/Canadians/Team Canada tickets on Craigslist or Stubhub.... then they jack the box office prices for those games up so people in the better economy of Canada pay higher prices per game. In all, it is still the 2nd highest attended WJC ever and due to the Golden Horseshoe, it may be the only non-Canada area who can support those kind of numbers. I even saw Newfoundland and Halifax flags. It sucks that junior hockey is so well supported in Canada, and nobody else has caught on.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    MayDay10 wrote:

What a great tournament. Internationally, I really dont pull for anybody. That Etem dickhead really turned me off to the US team. Also a very dull team and nobody stands out. Went to all the Canada games except for Norway. Very solid, likable team. I love Foligno and Kassian and cannot wait until they are on the Sabres. LeBlanc is great, Schenn, Johanson, Hamilton, the list goes on.... actually, Ellis is the one player who kind of annoys me.

It would have been kind of uneventful and standard if Canada won convincingly. Its their tournament. Until about 10PM last night, you can argue that this tourney from year to year is a 1.5 team tournament. Canada, and the US sometimes. Russia winning makes this a 4 team tournament for next year IMO and it will be the best WJC in years. Russia, USA, a revenge-driven Canada, and Sweden... at times Sweden looked like the best team out there. Some of their players and coaches were sitting behind me at the Gold Medal game and they looked soooooo pissed off. Almost like murderous. Finland could be competitive. Also, I think Latvia and Belarus will move up so the tourney will be stronger on the bottom end. Also add the fact that its going to be in Calgary and Edmonton.... wow. Cant wait.

I cheered for all teams in the tournament for the most part, which was fun. A player on a breakaway, you get excited, then he gets stoned by a sick save and you still get to go nuts. I wore a Slovakia jersey and Finland hat the entire tournament. Russia kind of became a team I pulled for a bit. That Quarterfinal comeback OT win against Finland was awesome, and their Semi Final victory against Sweden may have been the best game in the Tournament. Very gutsy. Then a 5 unanswered goal 3rd period in the gold medal game against the best u20 team (head and shoulders IMO). What a run.

As a Buffalo sports fan, I know too well the feeling all the Canadians had when the game ended. I have been there before. Most of the Canadians were great throughout the tournament.... with about 3% as complete dicks. Pretty good percentage considering they estimated serving 3 million ounces of beer in the Arena throughout the tournament. People in Buffalo did support the tournament. The premier games were priced too high though for most casual Western new York fans. I know now that Junior Hockey is on the radar in the area and it wasnt 3 weeks ago. If they held this tournament in Buffalo again, I guarantee that fans on the US side of the border would be a bit better represented. Also remember the entire business plan of Sabres ownership is to make full/season tickets cheap so WNY fans buy the tickets and sell Leafs/Canadians/Team Canada tickets on Craigslist or Stubhub.... then they jack the box office prices for those games up so people in the better economy of Canada pay higher prices per game. In all, it is still the 2nd highest attended WJC ever and due to the Golden Horseshoe, it may be the only non-Canada area who can support those kind of numbers. I even saw Newfoundland and Halifax flags. It sucks that junior hockey is so well supported in Canada, and nobody else has caught on.
    great review

what did you think bout casey cizikas and calvin de haan for canada and nino niederrieter for the swiss
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

7-3 Canada, oh wait that was the score from the Olympics :lol::lol::lol:

Don't worry we'll be back and the players will shake this off, look forward to many more rivalry games.

Cizikas and De Haan were decent. Nothing spectacular... but every Canadian player looked very good for the most part the entire WJC with the exception of some stretches vs Sweden and the 3rd period last night. In all, it would have been a near perfect/flawless team if it werent for the achilles heel of goaltending.

Neiderreiter (sp) looked very good and was the standout talent for the Swiss. He scored a highlight reel goal in the 1st game against Germany. He doesnt have too much offensive support with the Swiss though so that hurts his production. Everyone I know who attended a Swiss game commented on him. He also was knocked out of their last game against Finland for a misconduct/hit to the head.
    MayDay10 wrote:
    Cizikas and De Haan were decent. Nothing spectacular... but every Canadian player looked very good for the most part the entire WJC with the exception of some stretches vs Sweden and the 3rd period last night. In all, it would have been a near perfect/flawless team if it werent for the achilles heel of goaltending.

Neiderreiter (sp) looked very good and was the standout talent for the Swiss. He scored a highlight reel goal in the 1st game against Germany. He doesnt have too much offensive support with the Swiss though so that hurts his production. Everyone I know who attended a Swiss game commented on him. He also was knocked out of their last game against Finland for a misconduct/hit to the head.
    thank you very much

that makes me a very happy islanders fan as far as nino goes

Ill be keeping my eye on him/pull for him.

And to clarify, he is the one who got the misconduct, not "knocked out" from a hit.
    MayDay10 wrote:
    Ill be keeping my eye on him/pull for him.

And to clarify, he is the one who got the misconduct, not "knocked out" from a hit.
    hockey people say he plays with reckless abandon.

i can't believe ken campbell of THN called this russian win the miracle on ice part 2. i wanted to vomit after reading the article.

• lukin2006 wrote:

7-3 Canada, oh wait that was the score from the Olympics :lol::lol::lol:

Don't worry we'll be back and the players will shake this off, look forward to many more rivalry games.

ok, 1-1 ;)
    sure, always waiting for great matches between our teams 8-)
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Posts: 22,692
    MayDay10 wrote:

Great review, I wish I had tickets to the entire event. That Gold medal game was so heart breaking, unbelievable. Glad to hear you went to more than just the USA games. It truly is great hockey all the way around. Hope for a better result next yr. :D
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2