AWKWARD WORK SITUATION..

Comments

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    norm wrote:
    this sounds like a seinfeld episode...the jeagler is now the costanza

more like this co-worker is kenny banya

you could always take him with you. is your office close to center city? just roll to the restaurant right after work one day...have some drinks and grab a bite. then you're done and you won't feel guilty.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
    The Fixer wrote:
    norm wrote:

you could always take him with you. is your office close to center city? just roll to the restaurant right after work one day...have some drinks and grab a bite. then you're done and you won't feel guilty.

nah we're in fort washington. that'd be a whole night out...the dinner would be awkward as hell as me and this guy have nothing in common...plus i've already made reservations with the fiance. :x
    www.myspace.com
    The only 2 solutions here seem to be:

1. The Cosanza (née Jeagler) never takes another day off work
    Or
    B. This guy get called off to Afghanistan :shock:

wow. i don't think he's getting called over there, at least for a long ass time.

so basically you are telling me i have no choice but to cancel my honeymoon.

good lord. why do people have to be so generous with their gifts? don't they see how much they can screw over the gift reciever's life?? i was really looking forward to mexico....f#ck
    www.myspace.com
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,989
    Get him lottery tickets. That'll even out the playing field.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    The Fixer wrote:
    norm wrote:

nah we're in fort washington. that'd be a whole night out...the dinner would be awkward as hell as me and this guy have nothing in common...plus i've already made reservations with the fiance. :x

ah, tough one dude. well, this guy thinks you did his work for a couple of weeks. he might be acting a little too thankful, but I wouldn't sweat it.

so is your wedding over the holidays? hopefully you are going somewhere cool for the honeymoon
  • Boo Boo wrote:
    Get_Right wrote:
    take him to the dinner
    "we are in this together"

EXCELLENT IDEA....You never know you may not have a lot in common buy your wives could.

Know what's more excruciating than going to a dinner with a person you have nothing in common with? Going to a dinner with someone you have absolutely nothing in common with and now you're screwed even worse if the women get along. No way out at that point. Pure. Hell. Jeags, and no offense to the person giving this advice, but this absolutely not good advice.

none taken. :oops:
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    So here's my advice.

You've made it clear that you reluctantly accepted the $250 then had verbal diarrhea about paying him back when it's your turn. You have to get out of that, and fast. Otherwise you're setting a precedent that will be unworkable in the future (i.e. do you have to gift him every time you take a vacation? And what's a vacation versus a couple of days? If you take two days, is the gift certificate the Olive Garden for $50? One day is Arby's for $20? And "cover me for two hours while I get my oil changed" is $10 at McDonalds? "I'm going to the bathroom, can you grab my phone if it rings? Here's $1 for a package of Skittles from the vending machine.")

I think you need to say to him, casually, "Hey, about the $250, I do appreciate your gratitude, and I thank you for it, but I think it could get awkward if we were to fall into a practice of gifting each other every time we go away. So thank you for this, and let's just move on."

Yes/no?
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • So here's my advice.

You've made it clear that you reluctantly accepted the $250 then had verbal diarrhea about paying him back when it's your turn. You have to get out of that, and fast. Otherwise you're setting a precedent that will be unworkable in the future (i.e. do you have to gift him every time you take a vacation? And what's a vacation versus a couple of days? If you take two days, is the gift certificate the Olive Garden for $50? One day is Arby's for $20? And "cover me for two hours while I get my oil changed" is $10 at McDonalds? "I'm going to the bathroom, can you grab my phone if it rings? Here's $1 for a package of Skittles from the vending machine.")

I think you need to say to him, casually, "Hey, about the $250, I do appreciate your gratitude, and I thank you for it, but I think it could get awkward if we were to fall into a practice of gifting each other every time we go away. So thank you for this, and let's just move on."

Yes/no?

I love her, shes so smaht! (said in your best bostonian accent)
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
    Boo Boo wrote:
    So here's my advice.

Yes/no?

I love her, shes so smaht! (said in your best bostonian accent)

Wicked smaht, mistah.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • Such an extravagant gift on his part seems a little weird. :? :wtf:
    Wonder if he's regifting you something he'd been given. :think:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    so i'm rested and sober now and all i can say is...

when it's your turn, make a donation in his name to the human fund

:wave:
    Maybe he's hot for The Jeags.

I mean, aren't we all?
    :mrgreen:
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146

I mean, aren't we all?

with the repeal of don't ask don't tell, maybe so :think:
    norm wrote:
    so i'm rested and sober now and all i can say is...

when it's your turn, make a donation in his name to the human fund

:wave:

It's money for people.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,851
    Boo Boo wrote:
    Get_Right wrote:
    take him to the dinner
    "we are in this together"

EXCELLENT IDEA....You never know you may not have a lot in common buy your wives could.

Know what's more excruciating than going to a dinner with a person you have nothing in common with? Going to a dinner with someone you have absolutely nothing in common with and now you're screwed even worse if the women get along. No way out at that point. Pure. Hell. Jeags, and no offense to the person giving this advice, but this absolutely not good advice.
    Well if you have never had to gracefully endure a dinner with someone new, different, unpleasant, then, perhaps you are not a man.
    Its not about that.
    Its about turning it on its head.
    Dude, that was so generous, but we are in this together, you watch my back, I watch yours, no thanks needed.
    Lets eat and drink well together.

Either that or send him $250 bucks worth of katz's salami when he is on duty.
    https://www.katzdeli.com/shopping/index ... 17ec886bb8

10 pounds of katz's meat will make him the most popular guy in the platoon-if thats what NG units are called
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,009
    fucking hilarious!!!! Could only happen to Jeagsy!!!!!! jeags thinks to himself, "man this is awkward, I didn't DO what he thinks I did. Damn, how do I get out of this? I know, I'll give him the same thing . it'll be PERFECT!!!!"
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat wrote:
    fucking hilarious!!!! Could only happen to Jeagsy!!!!!! jeags thinks to himself, "man this is awkward, I didn't DO what he thinks I did. Damn, how do I get out of this? I know, I'll give him the same thing . it'll be PERFECT!!!!"

this is my life. this is what i do.

i actually like the other guy's idea of sending him $250 worth of salami. sounds...reasonable.
    www.myspace.com
  • Maybe he's hot for The Jeags.

I mean, aren't we all?
    That was my thought. Sounds like this guy has a little crush on the Jeags :think: :shock:
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,851

i actually like the other guy's idea of sending him $250 worth of salami. sounds...reasonable.
    Since he is stationed in the states, you could send him a nice care package from katz's. Not just salami. :P
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,009
    mickeyrat wrote:

how was the dinner?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14

I mean, aren't we all?
    That was my thought. Sounds like this guy has a little crush on the Jeags :think: :shock:
    :lol::lol: ...no, i don't think so.
    www.myspace.com
    mickeyrat wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:

how was the dinner?

haven't gone yet. have res for couple days after xmas. this place is always booked up.
    www.myspace.com
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,734
    Enjoy dude. Butcher and Singer is fantastic. You been to Barclay Prime?
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

There's some douche around here who lived there for dinner when he was in town for the Spectrum shows. Paid by his father. But, yes, BP is sweet.

Apparently, that is where one Clifton Phifer Lee had his victor dinner. :thumbup:
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,734
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

There's some douche around here who lived there for dinner when he was in town for the Spectrum shows. Paid by his father. But, yes, BP is sweet.

Apparently, that is where one Clifton Phifer Lee had his victor dinner. :thumbup:

Yeah, I know who you are talking about. Dude that takes shit talking to completely unnecessary levels. Great place though. By far the best steakhouse in Philly.

That's cool. It is also where Jeter, Minka Kelly, Jorge and his wife dined while Raul Ibanez was taking in a Pearl Jam show.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yeah, I know who you are talking about. Dude that takes shit talking to completely unnecessary levels. Great place though. By far the best steakhouse in Philly.

That's cool. It is also where Jeter, Minka Kelly, Jorge and his wife dined while Raul Ibanez was taking in a Pearl Jam show.

Minka Kelly....mmmmmmm....
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    so now i'm out $250 bucks and i'm forced into having an awkward conversation with him every time i go to the printer (he sits right next to it) because i always feel like he's waiting for me to tell him about my glorious dinner that he paid for.

I don't know you and I don't him, but I doubt he's waiting to hear about the dinner. He gave you that gift because he was grateful for you watching over his stuff. Maybe you didn't do it great, but you did more than would have happened if no one had done anything. Sounds like he has a tough life what with going off for active duty frequently and trying to juggle it with a challenging job like you guys have. Do what you said you'd do (give him some $250 thing for watching your accounts while you're gone, because you said you would), and then next time when you watch his stuff again, remind him that you're each just helping each other out an he doesn't have to give you anything. In a way you're helping the country too, since your helping make it possible for him to serve. I don't know if that helps.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
    :lol:

The Banya suit episode was just on. :lol:
  • you committed to returning the favour..........you must stick with it unfortunately. but tell him from now on you guys are "even", no more gifts, it's just par for the course. if he tries to give you a gift next time around, flat out refuse, and don't take no for an answer.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

whose the douche? :?

no i have not been to either of these places yet. been to most of starr's other restaurants though. i've heard from a bunch of people that b and s is better than barclay. so we're looking forward to it.
    www.myspace.com