Options

Ok, admit it...what songs do nothing for you...

Comments

• Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762
    thunderDAN wrote:
    Ledbetter is just a orphaned guitar riff with Ed mumbling over it. There is a reason it was never on a album- because the band wasn't proud of it. I'm not saying it's one of the worst songs they have put out, but it should get mentions before some that I see on here frequently (Betterman, Come Back, even Wishlist)

you can tell PJ hates Ledbetter because of how they refuse to play it ... oh wait.

A better reason it was left off those earlier albums is because it was too bluesy and too good and too radio-friendly ... and they weren't in the business of writing hits at that time.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    MattyJoeMattyJoe Posts: 1,424
    hobbes wrote:
    are you kidding? the music to that song is horrible. a terrible mid-tempo bland fest. it doesn't go anywhere. nothing interesting at all happens in that song.

maybe i'm just not old enough to think it's good. still got some hearing left.

I've never been a fan of most of the music in the beginning. Too waltzy and countryish.

Until 4:23... That's when the chills start.
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    Big Ed wrote:
    I apologze to Hobbs & vedderoff dead for my rude outburst. It was uncalled for and childish, but some of this stuff is hard to believe. It seems like some of you must be kidding.

Apology accepted, BigEd.

I have found that the problem with a band like Pearl Jam is that 95% of their catalog is so absolutely stellar that when they put out anything that's even remotely sub-par it sticks out like a sore thumb! If you think about it, PJ's B and C sides are better than most bands' A material...and that's a cold hard fact...
  • Options
    Solat13Solat13 Philadelphia Posts: 6,996
    thunderDAN wrote:
    wow. I've heard it all now.

IMO Come Back is a top 15 PJ song

Only song I sit down for
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • Options
    Ah .... Ed is amazing in that song. Especially the last half. And Mike's little solo there gives me goosebumps every.fucking.time. I've never really lost a close relative before, but I'm sure when that day comes, I'll never be able to listen to Come Back again. The song will just be too real and too painful at that point.

I'm sorry you don't like it or get it, and can't headbang to it because it's too mid-tempo, but there's no need to bash those of us who do.

i'm not bashing with any intent of being mean. i'm just doing a little smack talking. i know it does a lot for some people and i wouldn't ever try to take that away for anyone or be mean about it. i'm just messing around like i would with some friends. just a friendly round of shit talking.
  • Options
    bernmodibernmodi Posts: 631
    Around the Bend - lame
    Nothing as it seems - boring
    Spin the black circle - not worth all this screaming
  • Options
    hobbes wrote:
    i'm not bashing with any intent of being mean. i'm just doing a little smack talking. i know it does a lot for some people and i wouldn't ever try to take that away for anyone or be mean about it. i'm just messing around like i would with some friends. just a friendly round of shit talking.

fair enough .... you fuckwad! ;)
  • Options
    Apology accepted, BigEd.

I have found that the problem with a band like Pearl Jam is that 95% of their catalog is so absolutely stellar that when they put out anything that's even remotely sub-par it sticks out like a sore thumb! If you think about it, PJ's B and C sides are better than most bands' A material...and that's a cold hard fact...

no worries brother. all in the spirit of the argument. i don't take any of it personal.
  • Options
    thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    you can tell PJ hates Ledbetter because of how they refuse to play it ... oh wait.

A better reason it was left off those earlier albums is because it was too bluesy and too good and too radio-friendly ... and they weren't in the business of writing hits at that time.

how can you call it 'writing a hit' when mike himself says it was just a riff he used to play and Ed just made up words..so they put it out as a B-side. They didn't expect a song with no lyrical meaning to be a hit. It explains it in the book for Lost Dogs
  • Options
    thunderDAN wrote:
    not a PJ song

I was using as an example to show that I don't dislike anything but "headbanger" music, an accusation put forth by slightofjeff.
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,662
    It gives me great pleasure to be the first to nominate "Parachutes." OMG, what a buzz kill!! :D
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    fair enough .... you fuckwad! ;)

exactly :P
  • Options
    imalive wrote:
    It gives me great pleasure to be the first to nominate "Parachutes." OMG, what a buzz kill!! :D

Forgot about that one. Lyrics may be good but the music...
    -Reagan
  • Options
    MattyJoe wrote:
    I was using as an example to show that I don't dislike anything but "headbanger" music, an accusation put forth by slightofjeff.

I am personally bored with the 'Headbanging' songs
  • Options
    IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,652
    Wishlist
    Last Kiss

SHOW COUNT: (152) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=92, US=112, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:   Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,786
    bernmodi wrote:
    Spin the black circle - not worth all this screaming

It's fucking awesome man. STBC is definitive Pearl Jam
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Sweet Lew
    Army Reserve
    Bee Girl
    Leatherman

Evacuation grew on me. Ghost, too, though I could do without it. Cropduster, eh...
  • Options
    thunderDAN wrote:
    how can you call it 'writing a hit' when mike himself says it was just a riff he used to play and Ed just made up words..so they put it out as a B-side. They didn't expect a song with no lyrical meaning to be a hit. It explains it in the book for Lost Dogs

You're right. It could be, in the beginning, they didn't realize how good it was.

But the song-writing process you just described was pretty much the process for most of their songs in the beginning ... somebody playing a riff they had in their back pocket, with ed placing words over it.

also, the words have always had lyrical meaning. It has always been an anti-war song ... even if some of the words were mumbled or re-arranged in a live setting. Ed has explained that it was first written to protest the first Gulf War ... I'd imagine it gets played so much more nowadays due to world events.
  • Options
    Last Kiss

last Kiss sucks, but it's not a PJ song so I didn't mention it. If this topic includes covers I nominate Driven to Tears as the worst song ever. I would much rather see a 2 hour performance of Evacuation than a 5 minute performance of the drubble that is Driven to Tears
  • Options
    weenieweenie Posts: 1,623
    thumbing my way is such a well written song. one of my top five favorites.

least favorites: green disease, daughter, comatose

I LOVE Green Disease (I think mostly for what it says)... love Daughter and Comatose for both the words and the music. Thumbing My Way grew on me, but CAN'T STAND Comback except for the very end when Ed hums or whatever it is he's doing. I'm seriously hoping he doesn't sing it this tour. Sorry - it just bores me.
    ~I want to realize brotherhood or identity not merely with the beings called human, but I want to realize identity with all life, even with such things as crawl upon earth.~
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

~I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulette I could have worn.~
    Henry David Thoreau
  • Options
    thunderDAN wrote:

Okay.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    The_Fixer The_Fixer Posts: 255
    all of no code with the exception of sometimes and who you are

Are you serious? No Code is arguably one of PJ's best albums.

BLASPHEMY INDEED!
    Montreal 08/20/98 | New York 09/11/98 | Wantagh 08/24/00 | Montreal 10/04/00 | Montreal 06/29/03 | Montreal 09/15/05
    Toronto 05/10/06 | Vancouver 04/02//08 (Ed) | Manchester 06/14/08 | Montreal 08/09/08 (Ed) | Montreal 08/10/08 (Ed) 
    Albany 06/08/09 (Ed) | Philadelphia 10/31/09 | Montreal 09/07/11 | Ottawa 05/08/16 | Brooklyn 04/07/17 (RRHOF)
    Dana Point 09/09/17 (Ed) | Rome 06/26/18
  • Options
    thunderDAN wrote:

you know what? Me, too. It doesn't seem to me that Ed is really into them anymore ... and when he's not into them, they aren't worth playing. The thing about PJ is the songs have to be played from the heart. If there ever comes a point Ed isn't feeling a certain song anymore, it needs to be put to rest.
  • Options
    Are you serious? No Code is arguably one of best albums of all-time, regardless of genre.

That's better.
  • Options
    you know what? Me, too. It doesn't seem to me that Ed is really into them anymore ... and when he's not into them, they aren't worth playing. The thing about PJ is the songs have to be played from the heart. If there ever comes a point Ed isn't feeling a certain song anymore, it needs to be put to rest.

Sounds like it's time for the band to break up. Ed seems to enjoy his solo career.

EDIT: I'm not kidding either. I wouldn't be surprised...
    -Reagan
  • Options
    Big EdBig Ed Posts: 331
    I need the 16th to get here fast.
    I got so freakin' worked up reading this post, my face turned red, my stomach started hurtin'........I was getting seriously bent out of the frame!
    I need a beer......or a good counselor.
    Ignoring Rusted Signs
  • Options
    Sleight of Hand.

I know others rave about it - I just don't get it.
  • Options
    imalive wrote:

I forgot that one as well, and agree completely.
  • Options
    MattyJoe wrote:
    Sounds like it's time for the band to break up. Ed seems to enjoy his solo career.

Nah. These guys still rock. But it's patently obvious (to me at least) that Ed is over songs like "Go" and "Spin the Black Circle" and (as much as it pains me) "Rearviewmirror."

They used to rock the hell out of Rearviewmirror around '96 or so. It was maybe one of my top five songs. Now it seems like they're rushing to get through it, Ed doesn't even bother with half the lyrics, etc.

He's much better at the slower, mid-tempo stuff. If I were designing the optimal PJ setlist, most of the people who populate this thread would hate it for sure.

It would be filled with your Small Towns and your Off He Goes and your Wishlist and Thumbing and all that good stuff.

EDIT: Maybe it's not all the headbanging stuff they are over. Just the old headbanging stuff.
  • Options
    Sleight of Hand.

I know others rave about it - I just don't get it.

That's it. I've officially had it with this thread. :)

How could you ... why ... but ... I ... look at the words, man!