Options

Got my 'roo cd in the mail today...

Comments

• Options
    Rjonesrm20Rjonesrm20 Posts: 380
    i've been great....just cant wait for the EV shows in chicago....they sure are spoiling us this year!!

how are u?
    1998: Indy 2000: Indy, Cincy 2003: Lexington (m.e.o.), Cincy (cancelled),Indy 2004: Toledo 2005: Atlantic City 2 2006: Cleveland, Cincy 2008: Los Angeles1 (EV solo)-front row center!West Palm Beach-2nd row!, Tampa, Chicago 1&2-(EV solo) 2009: Nashville 1&2(EV solo) Memphis(EV solo) Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    missblack wrote:
    CRAP!! I just ordered it last week and have been so excited to listen to it. Oh well I am 0 for 2 on the bootlegs this summer. I just bought an "unofficial" bootleg from Salzer's in Ventura and the thing clicks at random spots on the cd. It sucks because it startles you and the first time I listened to it on my ipod I forgot and damn near flew off the treadmill at the gym!

What bootleg did you buy in Ventura?
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    I'm surprised by the number of people that consider 2000 the best quality boots. I thought they sounded flat.

I've just heard a few songs off the Roo, but I thought the quality was very good. (but then again, I'm not evolved to understand the huge difference between MP3 and flac)
  • Options
    Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,564
    I prefer 2000 because of the music, not necessarily the sound.

The rainbow is also nice:)
    I will swallow poison
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    it seems like they are doing the "instant" bootlegs this time around (such as the allman brothers have done for years) which gives the shittiest sound to any bootleg.However they mix it for the instant bootlegs is just shat. Im holding out for crowd boots for all the shows.
  • Options
    WWSWWS Ontario Posts: 458
    A couple of things about Roo.

first as most have said the boot seem to get better later in the set and second so does the band.

The guys started off a little loose and got tighter as the show progress. Ed's voice seems to get stronger as the night goes on as well.

'93 Toronto, '98 Barrie, '00 Toronto, '03 Buffalo, '05 Hamilton, '06 Toronto 1&2 '09 Toronto, '09 Philly #4, '11 Hamilton, '13 London, '13 Wrigley,    '13 Buffalo, '14 Detroit Rock City,'16 Ottawa, '16 Toronto 1&2, '16 Fenway '18 Wrigley 1&2, '20 Baltimore. '22 Hamilton, '24 Wrigley 1&2
  • Options
    pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    I think everybody got so used to bad recordings (2000-2006, except certain 2003 shows) that once a normal mix to 2008 standards comes along, everybody thinks it sounds strange.

Sorry, I'm the dissenter on this thread. In 2000, Ed was mixed to sound like he was in the parking lot. In 2003-2006, the upper end of the guitars were so shrill, you could cut through paper with them.

No bass in 2000.

This sounds great. Just received WPB and Roo which I'm listening to now.

You are not alone here. I am loving these boots so far. I have the first seven, and while I think Roo sounds a "bit" different the than the others, I wondered if maybe it wasnt done with PJ's equipment? It was a festival and not their soundboard, right? Maybe that is way off, but that is my guess. I think it sounds GREAT, just a little different so far. That is all....:)
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • Options
    I will say that the 2nd disc does seem to sound better than the 1st. When I heard the new opening riff to W.M.A. I got major chills.

After some thinking I came up with another point about this particular show. It should have been released as a DVD/CD combo. I was just such a MAJOR event in the history of the band. I don't know if they've EVER played to a crowd that large. With the visuals of the band, and the shots of the immense crowd singing along, any issues with mixing would have been wiped away. A perfect example of this is the 'Live at the garden' DVD. I absolutely LOVE that DVD, I thought the band and Ed sounded incredible! The boot of that exact same show on the other hand leaves much to be desired IMO. The audio just sounds flat, and you can really hear Ed struggle at times. It's an interesting phenomenon.

Just a thought...
  • Options
    1vs51vs5 Posts: 289
    where did u guys order it from?
  • Options
    pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    1vs5 wrote:
    where did u guys order it from?

http://www.pearljam.com
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,320
    i received mine yesterday and when i listened to it on a small portable radio/cd player the sound wasn't to impresive ,and today i took a ride and put the 1st cd in the player and let me tell you the sound is fantastic specially loud holy molly can't wait for the rest of my order to get here ....:D damm happy with new boots to end this summer ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    It is a problem with all the cd's. They sound like high quality audience recordings. I am still glad to have them, but I would love the quality of the 2000 tour boots.

And here in the problem with any argument about "sound quality." -- I happen to think the 2000 boots are the worst-sounding of the official boot series. My favorites are 2003.

It's all so subjective, it's hard to tell who is right and who is wrong. I will say when I popped the 'Roo boot into my car, I had to screw with the levels to make it sound right. I haven't had to do that ... since 2000.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    i've been listening to the fan boot for weeks and it sounds better than most of the official ones i've heard.
  • Options
    ramblinponyramblinpony Posts: 115
    Maybe 2000 doesn't sound so great, but the memories of a super fantastic tour make us think they do. =)
  • Options
    not4unot4u Posts: 513
    quasi wrote:
    Another thing I noticed is that they look like burned CDs...the backs are green and you can see the burn rings...on professionally pressed CDs they are silver and you can't see burn rings. Anybody else notice. The fronts are silk screened of course by they look like they were done in those printers (I can see the print lines). Not complaining...just observations. All the other physical boots were not like this.

ouch... the only reason i orderd these boots was becuase i thought they were official/collectable..... this kinda sux.
    we don't want war, but we still want more?
  • Options
    and i had to really crank it to hear the audience, and the audience participation is one of the best parts of any boot imo.

I noticed that the audience is way lower than other boots I've heard and I know the audience was loud there cause I was in it. I think it might be because it is a)outside and b) not really an amphitheater where the stage is in a bowl. So the audience sound wasn't funneled down to the stage.
  • Options
    This is just plain odd. I'm playing the boot at work right now(garage at a car dealership), on my $25 little no-name boom-box and it sounds KILLER! But on my 200 watt car stereo, and my Sony surround sound setup at home it sounds like dog-shit. I'm just dumbfounded. This makes almost NO sense....WTF???
  • Options
    I guess that's me, but I got the roo yesterday, put it in the car this morning on the way to my work and was fucking stoked. It sounded awesome. I have since imported it into my itunes and am currently rocking right now.

I will say, some of you may not be importing the full res version. Remember, Itunes import is default at 128 Kbps. That sucks. You have to set your import setting to AIFF. That's 1411 Kbps. Real good quality. Sorry if this isn't the case for you... but a lot of people don't get that with digital files.

Rock on you guys
    I can get you a toe by three o'clock...
  • Options
    Strangest TribeStrangest Tribe Posts: 2,502
    Aren't the boots now straight from the board so that there aren't the annoying audience noises? The whistlers, the screamers, the sing-a-longs, the conversationalists and the hecklers are all off mic.

Inside or outside venues shouldn't matter... or am I completely confused about the process???
    the Minions
  • Options
    anteroantero Earth Posts: 21
    yielder wrote:
    who is doing the mixing?

Lets bring back brendan o brien on stage to do the mixing.
    and lets do something about those guitar, drum, bass sounds because they all sound so flatt

agreed 100%
    www.anteroboots.com
  • Options
    smile05smile05 Posts: 600
    I'm going to wait until I listen to the show in it's entirety to make a final judgment, but after listening to the first disc I have to say my first reaction is that I'm a bit disappointed. By far, the worst sounding 'official' boot I've heard, and I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 or so. Ed's vocals seem to just sit on top of the band, it's stange. I don't know how else to describe it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not unhappy with the purchase. I'm still going to end up listening to it a lot, it just sounds oddly mixed. Perhaps it's due to the shear size of the venue? I mean there wasn't really anything for the sound to bounce off of.

I still can't wait for my Camden I & II and MSG I & II though...

thank fuck im not the only one who thinks this.
    1:Black 2:Corduroy 3:All Those Yesterdays 4:I Got ID 5:Smile

They can buy but cant put on my clothes
    Throw down my ace in the hole~~~~~~

Let's go for three in a row, no sorry i can't think of anything thats not funny. - Paul Merton

London96,Manchester00,Berlin06,London07
  • Options
    not4unot4u Posts: 513
    pearl jam seems to describe in this tour how the reviewr on rollingstone described "riot Act" I love Riot act and every show after it but ed sounds tired in '08, kinda distant emotionally to the songs. The band sounds fucking great (i guess its all relative, as ed has said).... wtf?

i hope in the future they drop all the old tunes and create something totaly new..... really, for the first time ever (since 95-96 and a bit of 98), ed seems not into it (pearl jam)... to me anyway
    we don't want war, but we still want more?
  • Options
    not4u wrote:
    pearl jam seems to describe in this tour how the reviewr on rolling stone described "riot Act" I love Riot act and every show after it but ed sounds tired, kinda distant emotionally to the songs. The band sounds fucking great.... wtf?

huh?
  • Options
    Aren't the boots now straight from the board so that there aren't the annoying audience noises? The whistlers, the screamers, the sing-a-longs, the conversationalists and the hecklers are all off mic.

Inside or outside venues shouldn't matter... or am I completely confused about the process???

Yea, they are, but the on stage mics are going to pick up some of the crowd noise. An indoor concert is going to pick up more crowd noise because it's all bouncing around inside and a true amphitheater "bowl" is going to focus the crowd noise towards the stage, for the same reason the sound from the stage focuses out on the audience.
  • Options
    rmc1981rmc1981 Posts: 114
    The best sounding bootlegs they have done is the 06 tour, but one of the best sounding shows I got is the show in Atlanta in 94. Why can't they just make every bootleg sound like that? Another thing everybody is saying they didn't use high quailty cd's to burn the shows. I dont understand why they didnt the boots cost 17 bucks a show. Anybody else think their making Boom burn all the cd's. That could explain why everybody is complaining about the sound.
  • Options
    rmc1981 wrote:
    The best sounding bootlegs they have done is the 06 tour, but one of the best sounding shows I got is the show in Atlanta in 94. Why can't they just make every bootleg sound like that? Another thing everybody is saying they didn't use high quailty cd's to burn the shows. I dont understand why they didnt the boots cost 17 bucks a show. Anybody else think their making Boom burn all the cd's. That could explain why everybody is complaining about the sound.

I think the "high" cost probably has to do with the recycled packaging. That stuff just costs more.
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,005
    the 2003 boots are the best sounding official boots. 2005 is definitely the worst. 2006 is way better than 2000.

that's exactly my take as well..!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    This is just plain odd. I'm playing the boot at work right now(garage at a car dealership), on my $25 little no-name boom-box and it sounds KILLER! But on my 200 watt car stereo, and my Sony surround sound setup at home it sounds like dog-shit. I'm just dumbfounded. This makes almost NO sense....WTF???

That's because they're poorly mastered, just like Pearl Jam's regular albums. They're made to sound good in a shitty boombox or ipod, but on a good system they sound like crap. That's the way it is these days, unfortunately.
  • Options
    PatrickBatemanPatrickBateman Posts: 2,243
    Just got the cd as well....and yeah, he sounds really ....can't quite put my finger on it.....maybe "separated"?. I am glad we got boots back, but damn someone dropped the ball. I hope Hartford sounds more cohesive. Definitely only getting mp3's for the the others I order. Sounds tolerable on the computer speakers, but in the car (Alpine/JL) it sounds errmmm unbalanced.
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • Options
    Got mine today too. I thought his voice sounded a little hallow/echo-ish in the beginning, but thought it improved ten fold after that. Love the boot...but I could be/am biased cause I was there and listening to it puts me right back in the pit.
    6/14/08 - Bonnaroo
    6/19/08 - Camden 1
    6/24/08 - MSG 1
    8/07/08 - Newark, EV Solo
    6/11/09 - Upper Darby, EV Solo
    10/28/09 - Spectrum 2
    10/30/09 - Spectrum 3
    10/31/09 - Spectrum 4