Options

Project #5 - The Songs of The Who

Comments

• Options
    i adore love, reign o'er me. and even though it's not a PJ original i ALWAYS enjoy/can't wait to hear them perform it.

my absolute favorite cover of love, reign comes from the VH1 rock honors the who. there are a ton of clips on youtube if you haven't seen/heard it. search- VH1 rock honors the who.

my own personal opinion, while the mansfield preformance is great, i think the rock honors trumps. just listen to eddie. also, the rock honors one is kinda unique in that they have an mini orchestra accompanying them. it makes it more powerful.

can't wait to see what you guys come up with!
  • Options
    tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    Hey Tremors and Myra, The Rough Draft has been finished and a link has been PM'd to you. I am listening to it now, sounds real good.

Sounds great to me Cameron4President! It's kind of easier since there aren't such an enormous amount of choices :lol: Once you've weedled out the SQ issues etc.... and this sounds great already!

What would you think about sharing the Rough Draft with people here, to listen to at this stage? and take any further discussion from there. Gives us a reference point. And like I say it's sounding pretty damned sweet already
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
  • Options
    ADogNamedPilateADogNamedPilate Texas, USA Posts: 291
    Man it's gotta be great working on a project where the worst song is still a thousand times more magical than millions of songs from other bands.
    Austin City Limits - Oct 04, 2009
  • Options
    Man it's gotta be great working on a project where the worst song is still a thousand times more magical than millions of songs from other bands.
    You are right about that. :D
    I am the artist formally known as "Cameron4President"....
    1998: Va Beach VA
    2000: Va Beach VA, Columbia MD
    2003: Raleigh NC, Bristow VA
    2008: Washington DC
    2009: Philly 3
    2010: Bristow VA
    2013: Baltimore MD, Charlottesville VA, Charlotte NC
    2014: Cincinnati, OH
    2016: Hampton, VA, Raleigh, NC
  • Options
    tremors wrote:
    Hey Tremors and Myra, The Rough Draft has been finished and a link has been PM'd to you. I am listening to it now, sounds real good.

Sounds great to me Cameron4President! It's kind of easier since there aren't such an enormous amount of choices :lol: Once you've weedled out the SQ issues etc.... and this sounds great already!

What would you think about sharing the Rough Draft with people here, to listen to at this stage? and take any further discussion from there. Gives us a reference point. And like I say it's sounding pretty damned sweet already

If anybody is interested in a copy of the "Rough Draft", they are more than welcome to PM me and I will send them the same link I sent you and Myra, but I really don't like to share it because it is a rough draft and not the finished project. I do not put a lot of time into piecing together a rough draft. There are a lot of things that could change between now and when we finish this project.
  • Options
    i adore love, reign o'er me. and even though it's not a PJ original i ALWAYS enjoy/can't wait to hear them perform it.

my absolute favorite cover of love, reign comes from the VH1 rock honors the who. there are a ton of clips on youtube if you haven't seen/heard it. search- VH1 rock honors the who.

my own personal opinion, while the mansfield preformance is great, i think the rock honors trumps. just listen to eddie. also, the rock honors one is kinda unique in that they have an mini orchestra accompanying them. it makes it more powerful.

can't wait to see what you guys come up with!

That song is great, and one of my favorite covers too. You will definitely be pleased with the final outcome.
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,778
    Man I wish PJ had covered Pure and Easy at some point. :lol:

The Who remain my favorite band ever.
  • Options
    tremors wrote:

If anybody is interested in a copy of the "Rough Draft", they are more than welcome to PM me and I will send them the same link I sent you and Myra, but I really don't like to share it because it is a rough draft and not the finished project. I do not put a lot of time into piecing together a rough draft. There are a lot of things that could change between now and when we finish this project.

Makes perfect sense!!

What stage are we at? I'm gonna listen to the Rough draft again right now. Are we seeking a stronger 'My Generation'?

• Options
    tremors wrote:
    What stage are we at? I'm gonna listen to the Rough draft again right now. Are we seeking a stronger 'My Generation'?

Maybe a stronger "My Generation", the problem is the the volume mix is real low and amplifying the sound too much will distort it. We may have to think about another version. In the end though, I would rather have a low volume version of that song, than no version at all. In short, "My Generation" has to be on this compilation. :D

"It all looks fine to the naked eye" :mrgreen:
  • Options
    tremors wrote:

Maybe a stronger "My Generation", the problem is the the volume mix is real low and amplifying the sound too much will distort it. We may have to think about another version. In the end though, I would rather have a low volume version of that song, than no version at all. In short, "My Generation" has to be on this compilation. :D

If you can tell me the shows it was played at, I can go try and hunt around. Or should I just look myself on the 'Music' tab here. What do you say boss?

• Options
    tremors wrote:
    tremors wrote:

If you can tell me the shows it was played at, I can go try and hunt around. Or should I just look myself on the 'Music' tab here. What do you say boss?

I think that Eddie played it at both of the '94 NYC shows. I have to go run some errands so I can check the quality of those later on. As for the other times the band has played it, I'm not sure. It's only been a few times (whole song).
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,004
    Ok I can't resist..

"Naked eye" is an all time favorite who cover and there is a bit of a mystery to the track I am goig to recommend:

There is a similar complitation called "squeeze box" on this pj fan site:

http://www.pearljamonline.it/mp3.htm

scroll down the page and you will find the "squeeze box" compilation and links.

This version of Naked eye is credited to the 11/5/96 solo show Ed did with the fastbacks but its not from that show.
    I have heard that version and this version side by side and its a different performance from some other show.
    I have never been able to ID the source.
    The good news is that its excellent sound quality with just one minor goof in Ed's vocal (cracks his voice once)..
    If you download the compilation you will posess this rare gem..
    very few people have this clip..

I realize you do not want to rip off this person's compliation but there is one other good choice (specifically "I'm one" from 11/27/00.. Ed solo.. its the best version there is out there)

Finally, check out the 7/3/03 Mansfield version of Baba..

I think its superior to your pick , crowd is louder too..

Just my opinion, you guys seem to have the best instincts so keep doing what you do best!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I was at the intimate Orlando House of Blues show on April 12, 2003 -- my wife won us tickets! -- and I remember some good stuff between Mike and Ed before "Blue, Red and Grey." Ed said that his ukelele is named Carry On, short for "Carry On My Wayward Son," which led to Ed writing a check that his butt couldn't cash -- if my memory serves me well, he said something to the effect that if Mike could play it, he would sing it. Mike breaks out the riff like he's been playing it since he was ten years old, and Ed reneges. He then gets down to "Blue, Red and Grey" and points out the fact he pretty much lifted "Soon Forget" from Townsend.

I've never seen an official soundboard boot, but there were cameras everywhere at the place.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    locked wrote:
    Ok I can't resist..

"Naked eye" is an all time favorite who cover and there is a bit of a mystery to the track I am goig to recommend:

This version of Naked eye is credited to the 11/5/96 solo show Ed did with the fastbacks but its not from that show.
    I have heard that version and this version side by side and its a different performance from some other show.
    The good news is that its excellent sound quality with just one minor goof in Ed's vocal (cracks his voice once)..

I realize you do not want to rip off this person's compliation but there is one other good choice (specifically "I'm one" from 11/27/00.. Ed solo.. its the best version there is out there)

Just my opinion, you guys seem to have the best instincts so keep doing what you do best!

Thanks for the detail. I will go and check out some of these tracks shortly. I am not the best at this part of it usually, because I am a naturally lazy person, so rather than seeking out, downloading and comparing and contrasting different versions I prefer to just listen and comment! :lol: Cameron4President on the other hand is incredibly hard working, and I feel he may sack me from the team if I don't *up* my workrate a bit - so I better put in an hour or two before he comes back and curses me!

• Options
    locked wrote:
    Ok I can't resist..

Cool, thank you for that suggestion. I will have to check it out.
  • Options
    dankind wrote:
    I was at the intimate Orlando House of Blues show on April 12, 2003 -- my wife won us tickets! -- and I remember some good stuff between Mike and Ed before "Blue, Red and Grey." Ed said that his ukelele is named Carry On, short for "Carry On My Wayward Son," which led to Ed writing a check that his butt couldn't cash -- if my memory serves me well, he said something to the effect that if Mike could play it, he would sing it. Mike breaks out the riff like he's been playing it since he was ten years old, and Ed reneges. He then gets down to "Blue, Red and Grey" and points out the fact he pretty much lifted "Soon Forget" from Townsend.

I've never seen an official soundboard boot, but there were cameras everywhere at the place.

You are right, It was never released as a soundboard recording, but the bootleg of this has really good SQ, plus it is an excellent show. Thanks.. :D
  • Options
    Pap wrote:
    Love Reign O'er Me - Mansfield, Massachusetts (6/28/08)
    :clap: :thumbup: :wave:

Great version of this song, thanks.. :D
  • Options
    Was just perusing the "official" song list in the Music section and came across these which haven't yet been mentioned:

I'm a Boy Cover 2000-05-30 2000-05-30 1
    I'm One Cover 1993-11-24 1996-11-09 3

Haven't heard either (and I think I'm a Boy would be on an official boot, at least). I do know that the version Of I'm One that Ed performed with The Who is spot on and kick ass, so I'd love to hear the PJ version from 1996.
    a fool not a fucking god ....
  • Options
    Just listening to a full rocking My Generation! (finishing the show) - 1992-02-27 Queenshall, Bradford, England, UK, not sure of the SQ yet cos is streaming through my crappy PC speakers, but will transfer to my player shortly and report back. Great energy though

• Options
    Was just perusing the "official" song list in the Music section and came across these which haven't yet been mentioned:

Haven't heard either (and I think I'm a Boy would be on an official boot, at least). I do know that the version Of I'm One that Ed performed with The Who is spot on and kick ass, so I'd love to hear the PJ version from 1996.

Cool, I'm not sure we've mentioned I'm a Boy yet! good stuff

• Options
    tremors wrote:
    Just listening to a full rocking My Generation! (finishing the show) - 1992-02-27 Queenshall, Bradford, England, UK, not sure of the SQ yet cos is streaming through my crappy PC speakers, but will transfer to my player shortly and report back. Great energy though

Have you listened to this version yet Cameron4Pres? I've not remembered all the earlier discussions about song selection.... :( The SQ is probably on the edge of what is acceptable next to the others, but it does have a lot of raw energy to it which is missing from the current version. An early euro show, early bootleg

• Options
    tremors wrote:
    tremors wrote:

Have you listened to this version yet Cameron4Pres? I've not remembered all the earlier discussions about song selection.... :( The SQ is probably on the edge of what is acceptable next to the others, but it does have a lot of raw energy to it which is missing from the current version. An early euro show, early bootleg

SQ is subpar :cry:
  • Options
    tremors wrote:

Cool, I'm not sure we've mentioned I'm a Boy yet! good stuff

I'm a Boy is a tag. :cry:
  • Options
    Version 1 looks like this with a different "My Generation"

"Pearl Jam: The Kids Are Alright: The Songs of The Who" - Version 1

Track List:

Leaving Here - Columbia, Maryland (9/4/00)
    I Can't Explain - San Diego, California (11/7/95)
    My Generation - New York City, New York (2/24/94)
    The Kids Are Alright - Sacramento, California (10/30/00)
    A Quick One, While He’s Away - Torino, Italy (9/19/06)
    The Seeker - St. Louis, Missouri (10/5/04)
    Let's See Action - The Birdman Sessions - Miami, Florida (Spring 2000)
    Baba O'Riley - George, Washington (9/1/05)
    Naked Eye - New York City, New York (2/24/94)
    The Real Me - Seattle, Washington (9/22/09)
    Squeeze Box - New York City, New York (2/24/94)
    Blue, Red and Grey - San Diego, California (6/5/03)
  • Options
    lutwutchlutwutch Ashburn, VA Posts: 180
    Checkout the version of "Leaving Here" from Columbia, Maryland (September 4, 2000), I like it because I was at that show. :D

and also

Leaving Here - East Rutherford, New Jersey (June 3, 2006)[/quote]

I was at both shows as well and I agree that the 2000 version is better....
    All that's sacred, comes from youth...

'92 Stanhope, '98 Washington, DC (VFC), '00 Merriweather Post, MD, '03 Nashville, TN, State College, PA, Holmdel, NJ, '04 Reading, PA (VFC), '05 Philadelphia, PA, 06 Camden, NJ, East Rutherford, NJ, '08 Camden, NJ (I and II), 09 Philadelphia, PA (II and III), '10 New York, NY, '13 Baltimore, MD, Charlottesville, VA, '16 Hampton, VA, Philadelphia II, 08 Newark, NJ (Vedder Solo), '16 TOTD Upper Darby (I)
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    Has Baba from Philly III (10/30) been ruled out? Being there it was the loudest I've ever heard the crowd. I'll have to listen to both the Gorge and Philly again.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    Has Baba from Philly III (10/30) been ruled out? Being there it was the loudest I've ever heard the crowd. I'll have to listen to both the Gorge and Philly again.

Nothing has been ruled out yet. :D The Philly III version of that song is amazing. I was at that show too, and I swear that the crowd was singing so loud that you couldn't hear the band during parts of that song. The Official Boot does not do that entire show justice. :D

In regards to the Gorge version...

I like it a lot, and I like it even better in our compilation because it fits real well. It is shorter in length and a little less polished (rougher) than Philly. It's style fits with what we are trying to accomplish this project.
  • Options
    lutwutch wrote:
    Checkout the version of "Leaving Here" from Columbia, Maryland (September 4, 2000), I like it because I was at that show. :D

and also

Leaving Here - East Rutherford, New Jersey (June 3, 2006)

I was at both shows as well and I agree that the 2000 version is better....[/quote]

I like 2000 better because of the "no organ" effect. Don't get me wrong, I love Boom, but he just ruins "Leaving Here" with that organ. :cry:
  • Options

Track List:

Myra & Tremors - Version 1 link just PM'd. :D

-"My Generation" swapped out.
  • Options

Track List:

Myra & Tremors - Version 1 link just PM'd. :D

-"My Generation" swapped out.

Thanks mate, will listen today on my trudge to the supermarket in the frost!!