If Google told you to jump off a cliff, would you?

13»

Comments

• dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    i hear you can get these books with local maps in them.. i think they call them street directories. i consider it a skill to be able to read a map correctly without help from the internets. so many people have lost the ability or are just too darn lazy to click their brain into gear. anyhoo...

I am proud to say that I have a keen sense for reading maps. I also am pretty damn good at knowing which way is N, S, E, and W. I believe that I really developed this skill from smoking pot and delivering pizzas when I was 17-18 years old.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    i hear you can get these books with local maps in them.. i think they call them street directories. i consider it a skill to be able to read a map correctly without help from the internets. so many people have lost the ability or are just too darn lazy to click their brain into gear. anyhoo...

oh yeah i've got some lean mean map reading skills as well...and funny enough, DC, i ALSO acquired this skill in the 70s...map reading was an integral part of 'truckin' to Grateful Dead shows (for those of you who weren't with us back in the 70s..that's kinda like following a PJ Tour..only with a more varied selection of mind altering substances available) anywhoooo :? :roll: :shock: ...if you were the map reader you were pretty much the hero of the day on the way across whatever section of country we were cruisin on that particular leg of the tour.

Ah those were the days...VW buses...re-invented school buses...my personal mode of transportation was a bright red 64 chevy impala ss convertible...loved that car...but the coolest of the cool, my friend actually did drive a bus that was very much similar to the bus in Into The Wild and every time i see that movie or the album cover i always wonder what happened to my turquoise mining, silversmithing, wandering soul of a man from way back then...ahhh...memories.

But anyway map reading, yes...but back then...we had none of these compilations neatly stowed and binded into a convenient to use book format..nope..we had huge, big giant hulking 3 mile wide paper maps which, once unfolded, could NEVER ever be put back into their original state. EVER! and i think i still have one or two in my glove compartment to prove that fact.

70s maps, bought at your local Texaco station (on geez) were the Rubik's Cubes of the day.

And wow did we have great times over those....we were the amateur cartographers of the day...sometimes condensing down the final results of careful deciphering from a 4 foot by 3 foot masterpiece, onto a simple 4 x 5 paper napkin..and that was enough.

Anyone remember?

Thanks CF for bringing up this .... who ever would think that maps could be so sentimental and nostalgic, hmm?

Its a long lost art, now with all the electronic gadgets we have in our cars to get us lost. Back in "the old days" getting lost was more of a skillset...and way more fun...matter of fact, many a Sunday afternoon was reserved specifically FOR getting lost. heheheee ahhhh yes. top down, braid your hair so you can save it later, grateful dead blasting, clog and sandal wearing, dope smoking hippies we were. come to think of it, hmm..the more things change, the more they remain the same, right? talk about full circle. wow i think i just had a startling view of my life in the round....right back where i started from lol! well, at least i did some very productive things in between 8-):mrgreen: :thumbup: ;):D

wow..all from a map
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • lephtylephty Posts: 770
    i think a new political party is in order...

Remove Warning Labels to get rid of the Stupids Party~

vote for me!