Options

THE WALKING DEAD...and all things zombie

Comments

• Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,256
    rrivers wrote:
    What does everyone think of this season? I think it has really gone downhill. I enjoyed the first season a lot, but this season they are spending a lot of time trying to strengthen the characters and really doing a poor job of it. I'm not expecting the show to be Mad Men or The Sopranos with regard to writing and characterization, but it seems like they are trying to make it that way and failing. The whole prisoner storyline just dragged and was stupid to begin with...why save the guy and then kill or let him go? Just leave him there in the first place! They need to get off that farm.

Why do I keep watching, you ask? Honestly, I'm not sure. I find myself checking the time left on my DVR'd copy a lot and hoping for the end. Part of me hopes it will get good again (though I doubt it, I think Darabont had a lot to do with it being good) and another part of me watches because it has entered the "so bad it's good" arena.

I tend to agree. A bit of a snooze after the first season.
    This season has removed the adventure, the survival-horror, the spookiness, and the mystery of the whole zombie apocalypse and made it into a silly drama. I'm going to still watch because at this point, I'm still entertained. But I can see that changing...
  • Options
    arq wrote:
    I love how we have been referring to a group of walkers as a "herd". :lol:

That's how they called in the comics :ugeek:

and there's my "something new" I learned today! :)
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    I'm not getting this whole "the second season is boring" stuff. I mean, yeah, the first season was intense. But think about it; anything that lasts only 6 episodes is bound to leave you wanting more. People are misunderstanding this show, It think. This is not a show about zombies; it's a show about human survival, and what happens to the human condition in the face of a global disaster. The zombies just add the adventure/suspense element to it.

Look at the show 24. In my opinion, easily one of the most intense shows on television. But there were 24 episodes each season. Yeah, were there a couple snoozing shows? Yep.

And I mean, come on, how many people have to die to make this show exciting for you? Is it because it's not all just 60 minutes of "unnnngggg..........brains.............BRAINS........unnnnnngggggg". That would be immensely boring to me.

I have a feeling that the finale and season 3 are going to make everyone quite happy.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    I hope it is ok to ask this, but does anyone who does not have AMC know of a way to watch current Walking Dead episodes without visiting a seedy website that might damage my computer? We are looking at cutting our cable package down, which means we will lose AMC (but we will be paying $25/month vs. $70). If I absolutely have to, I can wait for DVDs, but if I could stay up to date, that would be awesome.

itunes, you can buy the whole season for $23 or $3 an episode.

Awesome, thanks. I also just checked Amazon, they are $1.99 on that site. However, I am not very techie, can you sync stuff bought on Amazon to a iPod/iPad? I think I could purchase it per episode and still save a lot of money compared difference between cable packages for just one month.
    Hearts and thoughts they fade....
    fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    i don't have an ipad but you may be able to go to amazon and order it on your ipad and then watch it on it. i would try that avenue
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    kwdaleykwdaley Posts: 499
    I'm not getting this whole "the second season is boring" stuff. I mean, yeah, the first season was intense. But think about it; anything that lasts only 6 episodes is bound to leave you wanting more. People are misunderstanding this show, It think. This is not a show about zombies; it's a show about human survival, and what happens to the human condition in the face of a global disaster. The zombies just add the adventure/suspense element to it.

Look at the show 24. In my opinion, easily one of the most intense shows on television. But there were 24 episodes each season. Yeah, were there a couple snoozing shows? Yep.

And I mean, come on, how many people have to die to make this show exciting for you? Is it because it's not all just 60 minutes of "unnnngggg..........brains.............BRAINS........unnnnnngggggg". That would be immensely boring to me.

I have a feeling that the finale and season 3 are going to make everyone quite happy.

IMO, the seasons' length (ie. 6 episodes at a time) kind of reflect the length of the comics (issue-wise). I also look at the episodes kind of like those old serials from the 50s (always leaving the audience wanting more).
    Ottawa 2011
    London 2013 "The Dundas Hookers on Crack" Show
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276

i want zombie killings...i want gore....i want people running and survivng, not walking around in woods stressing about stupid shit.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    after seeing nothing but pure zombie gore from romero for the past 30 years ..i like this element in my zombie show..its developing the characters and trying to have them live a life..( as much as u can in a zombie world)

sure their have been a few letdown episodes....but these past few episodes have been off the charts

sunday night the farm is done...so chill everyone 81 will show u his map of next seson
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Options
    81 wrote:

i want zombie killings...i want gore....i want people running and survivng,

for 60 minutes a week, 13 times over? :yawn:
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    arq wrote:
    I love how we have been referring to a group of walkers as a "herd". :lol:

That's how they called in the comics :ugeek:

and there's my "something new" I learned today! :)

That's the term they used on the show also. It's been a while since they used it, but it's been a while since they saw the herd, but it was the term they decided best described what they saw on the highway that day.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I think the second half of season two has picked things up. I don't need a ton of gore but i do like the tension created by the need to survive and i felt in season 2 a lot of this was lost as well as the creepiness factor.

they use it in the opening credits but for example in season 1 when they are hiding out in the house and they show them trying to be quiet and you just see the dor knob turning. That was cool and creepy.

I want moer of that
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    Meg8686Meg8686 Posts: 1,234
    Last episode was Brilliant!! It's the most intense hour of my week...
    310372_10150380257747485_7659317484_8416663_1233164380_n.jpg
    Braaaaains
    Sometimes I speak of nothing at all.
  • Options
    unlost dogsunlost dogs Greater Boston Posts: 12,553
    Carl Grimes, the original Sinister Kid.

Even has his own theme song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnSdjIpMVsc
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    Was Shane scratched by a zombie or something then?
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    81 wrote:

i want zombie killings...i want gore....i want people running and survivng,

for 60 minutes a week, 13 times over? :yawn:

in fairness the show is only about 40 mintues...but yes, i want more zombies..more attacks, more fear and a whole lot less wandering around in the woods.

i'd also like to know where the brand spanking new car came from. :lol: it just showed up on the farm one day.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    i'd also like to know where the brand spanking new car came from. :lol: it just showed up on the farm one day.
    :lol::lol::lol::lol:
    We noticed that too, brand new, totally clean ... maybe next week they'll discover a lorry load of pepsi
  • Options
    Where is all their fuel?
  • Options
    neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    Brisk. wrote:

WE THINK THE KNIFE RICK USED ON HIM HAD WALKER BLOOD ON IT
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Options
    Brisk. wrote:

If I remember rightly, if anyone dies, from anything, they come back as a zombie.
  • Options
    Brisk. wrote:

Ohh good work team!
  • Options
    Brisk. wrote:
    Where is all their fuel?

that too....but they don't drive much...so i haven't questioned that just yet

before long tho...gas is going to go stale and gum up everything.....i'd be switching to diesel.

anouther question....why does nobody have a CB or walkie talkie?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    and why are they just now boarding up the house...they have been living in tents outside, but all of a sudden, it's...lets all move inside and board the lower level up? hmm...
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    and why are they just now boarding up the house...they have been living in tents outside, but all of a sudden, it's...lets all move inside and board the lower level up? hmm...

Yeah I didn't understand that either...they are panicked because of 1 walker that got through to kill Dale? That's the only reason I can think.

Also that herd at the end, where they come from? just random city?
  • Options
    Brisk. wrote:
    81 wrote:

Yeah I didn't understand that either...they are panicked because of 1 walker that got through to kill Dale? That's the only reason I can think.

i can see heards of walkers just roaming...and they are just happening to roam this way now.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Brisk. wrote:
    81 wrote:

Food from the cities is gone, zombies now forced to scavenge the hill sides/towns for food.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    unlost dogsunlost dogs Greater Boston Posts: 12,553
    Brisk. wrote:
    81 wrote:

Food from the cities is gone, zombies now forced to scavenge the hill sides/towns for food.

They're all migrating from the latest locked thread on The Porch, in search of new victims to terrorize.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • Options
    merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Brisk. wrote:
    Brisk. wrote:

Ohh good work team!

What about Randall then (the captive that Shane killed)? Broken neck, no bite marks when Daryl checked him out. He still came back. :shock:
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Options
    SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    merkinball wrote:
    Brisk. wrote:

Ohh good work team!

What about Randall then (the captive that Shane killed)? Broken neck, no bite marks when Daryl checked him out. He still came back. :shock:

It's airborne, everybody is "infected" but it doesn't take hold until after they die. I don't think the knife has anything to do with it. Just like the two cops they found (and killed) when they first tried to drop off Randall hadn't been bitten, but were walkers.

That's most likely what Jenner told Rick at the CDC. And remember, he gave them all blood tests even though nobody had been bitten, and said the results were what he expected. Then when Rick came into the main room all drunk, Jenner hid the piece of paper he was reading, presumably with the test results.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,687

Glad you like it. I think those of us who are down on this season aren't asking for 60 minutes of zombies, but the show is called The Walking Dead so we would like more of it. I wouldn't even mind going away from the zombies if the humans were more interesting, the writing was better, or the acting was better. Since it's not, give me more zombies!

This is not a dig at you, but this defense of "the show is not about <blank>, it's about <blank>" happens quite a bit as a defense of a show when others think it has gone downhill. I remember the Lost creators used that when people complained at the end saying "the show is not about the mysteries and the questions (they continued to throw out there and never really answered), it's about the characters". Ok, well make the characters more interesting. But in reality most people were watching for the mysteries.

I don't disagree with you that the show is about human survival, but make the storylines and the writing better when you go away from the zombies. They also need to make things clearer, especially things that are essential to the show like how one becomes a zombie. I have had and heard (one on Howard Stern this morning) a few conversations this week about why Shane became a zombie. Something this essential to the show should not be so vague. And with all the plot holes others have pointed out in this thread, it's hard for me to take it seriously as a character-driven show. But again, that's fine, just give me a zombie show!

I'm glad you're enjoying it and hope it does get better next season because I'm sure I will still be watching!
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    They're all migrating from the latest locked thread on The Porch, in search of new victims to terrorize.

that was a trap thread....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg