Does anyone not lock their doors at night?

13»

Comments

• tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    Like an earlier post stated if by chance you don't lock up and are ripped off by some snotty nosed punk then the cops will pretty much laugh and walk away, not to mention that you won't be covered for Insurance!!

I lock my doors (not windows) when I leave the house and at night, but have on occassion forgotten and nothing has happened. Once I left the garage door open (internal access to the house) all day. We live in a small town which unfortunately has quite a high crime rate so I would rather be careful rather than careless.
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • number1PJfannumber1PJfan Posts: 3,748
    I have lived in the same rural town my whole life and have hardly locked the doors ever. I can't remember to half the time and the other half of the time I wind up leaving my keys in the door lock when I do unlock it. My town has grown a lot in my lifetime and I know crime rate has increased and I am sure it is naivete for me to continue to think that noting will happen to me. My mother in law lives next door and is quite the contrary. She has an alarm system and will set it even if just going out to get them mail! I guess as you get older fear sets in and you become more cautious.
  • Due to my wifes ex-husband and his "business" practices we lock our doors every night. His son lives with us and has been a target of threats by certain people. I keep the doors locked, the alarm on and a loaded 9mm in my closet. Should we call the police to help out and maybe patrol our neighborhood if something strange happens? We tried, I actually have a voicemail recording of someone threatening the life of our 10 year old, thats right a 10 year old and the police wont even call us back!!! Enjoy your salary from my taxes and your pension when you retire mr. helpy helper ;););) :roll: :roll: :roll: :o:o:o Yes I lock my doors because I dont trust the people on the streets and ESPECIALLY the police.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    Due to my wifes ex-husband and his "business" practices we lock our doors every night. His son lives with us and has been a target of threats by certain people. I keep the doors locked, the alarm on and a loaded 9mm in my closet. Should we call the police to help out and maybe patrol our neighborhood if something strange happens? We tried, I actually have a voicemail recording of someone threatening the life of our 10 year old, thats right a 10 year old and the police wont even call us back!!! Enjoy your salary from my taxes and your pension when you retire mr. helpy helper ;););) :roll: :roll: :roll: :o:o:o Yes I lock my doors because I dont trust the people on the streets and ESPECIALLY the police.
    it'll be ok im sure of it.
    dad was a prison guard and our family has had death threats for years, by many different scumbags.
    nothing has ever happened and we grew up to be just fine.

i love the 9mm in your closet
    perhaps move it to the night :evil: stand, yes/no?
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • BinGnarlyBinGnarly Posts: 508
    We keep our door propped open at night. Our door locks automaticly and I live with 22 people some of whom forget there keys or don't have one yet. So yeah. All our welcome at the Vesta house.
    Shows:
    San Diego 2003
    Grand Rapids 2004
    Grand Rapids 2006
    Detroit 2006
    Columbus 2010

"With my own two hands I can change the world."
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    My doors are wide open all the time. Feel free to drop by unannounced and uninvited any time you like... :twisted:
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    tinkerbell wrote:
    Like an earlier post stated if by chance you don't lock up and are ripped off by some snotty nosed punk then the cops will pretty much laugh and walk away, not to mention that you won't be covered for Insurance!!

thats ok im not insured anyway. and its highly doubtful id call the cops. 8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    jshin wrote:
    "I pointed out that in china and in canada and apparently in australia people leave their doors open at night and nothing bad happens".....ever?

Not all of China. Not in the cities. But in much of the countryside I've noticed people's doors are usually open.
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    All doors locked with regular lock and deadbolt, including when I am home alone day or night. My car is always locked, day or night. All three dogs bark to alert when people come to the door. But it's highly unlikely they'd greet an intruder with anything other than boundless enthusiasm.

I don't live in Mayberry.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    im not suggesting anything friend. you are. I pointed out that in china and in canada and apparently in australia people leave their doors open at night and nothing bad happens....
    h

im sure unlocked doors are entered all the time but no one has entered my unlocked doors yet.

the times we were robbed when i was younger, the house was locked up like fort knox, so... and at least one fo those times we suspect the deed was done by someone known to us who knew the house would be unoccupied.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    and byrnzie's point is exactly the point here. bowling for columbine very intelligently points out that many countries worldwide other than the u.s. have massive amounts of guns, guns are much more commonplace in other countries, yet murders and violence doesnt happen on the same scale or to the extent that it does here in the u.s. and thats my whole point.

if people can leave their doors wide open in china and canada and wherever then it must be media hype and media created fear right? Why do people in china feel they can leave their doors unlocked and people in NYC lock their doors? Whats the disconnect here?

If people can leave their doors open in china and not be victim in some serial killers sick vision, then why do we here in america feel leaving our doors unlocked at night would only end in bad news?

I live in Canada and believe me I lock my doors at night as I'm sure most Canadians do, just common sense and I levee in a pretty safe community.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon