Does anyone not lock their doors at night?

Comments

• g under pg under p Posts: 18,183
    Byrnzie wrote:
    I've been to many villages here in China where people's doors are open. I've often wandered inside to take photo's when I've seen something interesting inside like a picture of Mao Zedong on the wall, or a load of religious paraphenalia.
    I've also been to friends houses in the countryside here where everyone just wanders into everyone elses homes to have a chat or a drink. It makes for a decent communal atmosphere.

It's the way it should be.

Now I think that's pretty cool way of living. Here in the Palm Beaches we live in a gated equestrian community and none of our doors are locked. Now we keep them shut and we removed the doggie door on the porch so that the raccoons don't come in and make a mess. Which they have done in the past. I don't think any of this safety pre-caution is due to media hype to me it all depends on where you live.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    call all the bullshit you want steve. and you presume wrong... i live in disturbia, not the countryside(whatever the hell that is ;) :P ), and as i said my window is open all night. tis really not that hard to believe.

You must have a unique immunity to mosquitos and funnel web spiders then.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Byrnzie wrote:
    call all the bullshit you want steve. and you presume wrong... i live in disturbia, not the countryside(whatever the hell that is ;) :P ), and as i said my window is open all night. tis really not that hard to believe.

You must have a unique immunity to mosquitos and funnel web spiders then.

as good as i am it requires no unique immunity. ;) :P i have screens on my windows and have never EVER seen a funnel web in the wild.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    Yeh we lock everything. A bit too much around here. Like most my fam will walk in the door and lock it. Me,I'm nowhere near that anal.

But they do have good reasons.

1)My old man had a stalker that got pretty hairy a while back, so it became force of habit. I think he has since served jail time, not sure if he is out now. But it is a long story

2) we were robbed of nearly everything going on 18 years now.

3) even though I live in a fairly nice still a bit of driftwood that hangs in the area.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    as good as i am it requires no unique immunity. ;) :P i have screens on my windows and have never EVER seen a funnel web in the wild.

What's disturbia? The suburbs? Is it a crime free area?

How do your kids feel about the doors and windows being open all night?
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Byrnzie wrote:

What's disturbia? The suburbs? Is it a crime free area?

How do your kids feel about the doors and windows being open all night?

yes the burbs. no it isnt a crime free area if you believe the hype.

my kids dont lock the doors behind my back, so i guess theyre ok with an unlocked house. i think like all kids they follow the lead of their parents. if i become anal about security then they will too. if i show, or feel fear, then they will too. if i dont teach my children, by example that many societal fears are unfounded and that given the chance society will have them frightened of their own shadow then an unlocked door or open window will freak them out.. but i dont, so theyre ok with what some would call an unsecured house.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • ccjackccjack Posts: 134
    We lock our doors and put the alarm on!
    "Push me and I will resist"
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    Is it merely a product of being inundated with news (watch bowling for columbine) and media that depicts killers, murderers, rapists, molestors, robbers, thieves and the like constantly? Is it a media fabrication that at night we have to fear killers and rapists barging into our homes and killing us and our loved ones? Or is it truth?

Do any of you all not lock your doors and windows at night at your house? Bowling for Columbine is one of my favorite films of all time, for its discussion of this very subject. Michael Moore suggests that it is indeed media fabrication and that people could leave their doors and windows unlocked and most likely nothing bad would happen. Whats y'all's take on this?

I frequently do not lock my windows at night when I have them open.

But then again, I do not let myself become "inundated with news" like you do.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    all our lives here in the u.s., from very early on, we are taught ....

THIS is the problem. Not just your problem, but many people's problem. The old crutch of saying "I was taught" is a very passive way to pass the buck. Educate yourself, don't rely on (or blame) someone else for your issues.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • gearboygearboy Posts: 349
    I lock my door as soon as I walk in the apartment, every time.
    I then double check before I go to bed at night, I'm just paranoid I guess.
    I live on the second story so I don't lock my windows.
    IT'S NO CRIME TO ESCAPE!!!!!!!!!
    03/22/94, 01/14/95, 09/24/96, 08/25/98, 08/26/98, 08/31/98, 09/01/98, 09/22/98, 09/23/98, 08/09/00, 08/10/00, 08/12/00, 08/20/00, 08/21/00, 04/11/03, 04/13/03, 07/08/03, 07/09/03, 09/28/04, 09/29/04, 10/06/04, 10/08/04, 09/28/05, 05/20/06, 05/03/10, 05/04/10, 05/10/10
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
    i gotta move to communist china to feel safer. :lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    edited October 2010
    when i lived in Iowa we did not lock anything.
    houses and cars... good to go unlocked.
    key in the ignition out in the driveway.
    key in ignition while at the grocery store or wherever.

now im living in western Washington...
    a little bity bullshit town
    i usually lock the doors at night
    throughout the daytime my house is unlocked when i am gone.
    my car's ignition is rather screwy and almost busted so the key has been in it for about a year or so.
    i love leaving the key in the ignition of a car, its something you dont have to look for, keys, they're in the car.

i miss how perfectly safe it felt living in Iowa; not that i am terrified living out here, it's just not the same.
    Post edited by chadwick on
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    When I lived with my parents we never locked the doors. Someone was always in and out and we had large dogs so there didn't seem to be a point to locking them. Now I keep my doors locked. Someone randomly walked into my neighbors house one night :? Seemed like an honest mistake, but I don't need that. Although one night my husband left the door to his car wide open all night and the car was still there in the morning with everything intact.
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
    When I lived with my parents we never locked the doors. Someone was always in and out and we had large dogs so there didn't seem to be a point to locking them. Now I keep my doors locked. Someone randomly walked into my neighbors house one night :? Seemed like an honest mistake, but I don't need that. Although one night my husband left the door to his car wide open all night and the car was still there in the morning with everything intact.
    but was the battery drained dead?
    dome lights and all going all night
    i just did this same thing.
    had to ask my neighbor if i could use his battery charger.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    gearboy wrote:
    I lock my door as soon as I walk in the apartment, every time.
    I then double check before I go to bed at night, I'm just paranoid I guess.
    I live on the second story so I don't lock my windows.
    eyed is a trained samurai ninja master
    he can be up the side of your building and standing in your bedroom within 2 seconds

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    chadwick wrote:
    but was the battery drained dead?
    dome lights and all going all night
    i just did this same thing.
    had to ask my neighbor if i could use his battery charger.
    No - fortunately for him he knows he is very forgetful so he has the dome light set not to turn on when he opens the door :lol:
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • Pepe SilviaPepe Silvia Posts: 3,758
    no, but we have three dogs
    don't compete; coexist

what are you but my reflection? who am i to judge or strike you down?

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

when you told me 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em'
    i was thinkin 'death before dishonor'
  • JoJo Posts: 2,098
    I have 7 doors into my home and I haven't seen my door key for over 6 years.
    And if I can't find my car keys it's because someone took them out of the ignition.
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    Media hype? The way we were taught?

Let's see, in 1980 a close friend of mine was raped by a man who got into her apartment while she was at class and waited for her to get home. She moved out immediately and moved into a house in a "nice" neighborhood. Six months after she was raped, either she or roommate forgot to lock the back door. A different man entered the house during the night and attempted to assault her but left after being startled by her roommate.

Several years ago a retired couple were robbed and murdered when a man walked in through their unlocked front door. He later told police that he had gone door to door, looking for one that was unlocked. This couple lived 3 blocks from my parents, in what is also considered a nice, safe neighborhood.

Crime is often random and I do not allow the fear of it to take over my life. But I am a cautious person and I take the kinds of precautions that help me prevent being victimized, no matter where I am. That includes locking the doors of my house, just as I carefully choose where I park when I go shopping. (I was mugged in a grocery store parking lot in 1991 and I've learned to be aware of my surroundings.) It doesn't include extreme reactions like owning a gun, even though I live in a right-to-carry state.

Lest you think I'm some sort of paranoid wuss, I've been a caseworker and made home visits in what most people consider very bad neighborhoods. This doesn't bother me. I know how to watch out for myself.

Suggesting that we were all better off back in the good old days when nobody locked their doors is naive and unrealistic.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • im not suggesting anything friend. you are. I pointed out that in china and in canada and apparently in australia people leave their doors open at night and nothing bad happens. yet in america people obsessively check at night to make sure their doors are locked and alarms are on. that to me is a major disconnect. Is their really less crime in australia and spain and china and canada than in america? Do only nonviolent and non threatening people live in those countries?

No doubt horrible things have happened in america, people have been murdered and raped and robbed and assaulted.

my point is, i think alot of it is media hype and horror movies. are people sometimes murdered and raped in their houses, yes. but to the extent people seem to suggest? hell no.

but as i said, i lock my doors at night as well. im part of the system as well.
  • 4 pages devoted to this topic???

Do I lock my doors at night???

Really?? 4 pages???

UMMM...Yeah...I lock my doors at night...
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • When I was a kid the doors were rarely ever locked but not the case now.
    At my house, I leave the door unlocked all the while I'm not at home night or day, but I lock it when I go to bed without fail. I don't feel there is any real danger if I don't lock the door, but really no reason not to.
    There was a rather violent murder in my small community just about 3 months ago. That certainly changed people's habits a bit I'm sure.
    Is the media to blame for creating the perception that we are not safe in our homes? No.
    Because the senseless crime in america is not an illusion. It is fact that lots of bad things happen and bad people are just as prone to do bad things in rural mississippi as they are in NYC. That's proven out by the murder near me this summer
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • jshinjshin Posts: 1,759
    "I pointed out that in china and in canada and apparently in australia people leave their doors open at night and nothing bad happens".....ever?
    I ain't got no fly'n shoes..

• RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I lock my doors. I don't need kids running around trying the doors to see if they are unlocked or not. We have had trick-or-treat-ers ring the doorbell, and if the door isn't opened within 2 seconds, they WILL open the front door... :twisted:

When I lived in an apartment, my ex had left the doors to the car unlocked, I warned him he was inviting people to steal from him. He said 'everybody locks their doors, so why would they want to even try?' Ok fine. One night someone DID try his doors, and because they were unlocked, they stole his amp box and stereo. He called the cops, and they came. Their first question was, "Were the doors locked?" He said, "no" the officer then finished filling out the report and said, "Well, since the doors were not locked, we don't consider it a crime, because you were basically inviting someone to enter your car. You'll find your stereo at a pawn shop most likely...good luck" This happened in a 'nice' neighborhood, so I cover my butt and lock up.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • jshin wrote:
    "I pointed out that in china and in canada and apparently in australia people leave their doors open at night and nothing bad happens".....ever?

read my post. does robbery, rape, murder occur? yes. But to the extent that its shown on tv and talked about on the news, and shown in movies? no.
  • i think its highly unlikely that their are millions and billions of murderers rapists and robbers waiting outside our houses each night and that locking our doors is the answer to our problems.

i didnt make it up. people have posted on here with more knowledge than myself. they live or have visited other countries and in those countries people leave their doors unlocked and magically no one rapes and murders them.

my question as a conscientious person, as a person who is interested in society and culture and how we interact with each other, is why that behavior is viewed as normal in spain or canada, but is seen as rare and odd even bizaare here in the U.S.? And whats to explain the lack of crime?

Its one thing to talk about people in spain and canada leaving their doors unlocked and then there being this HUGE spike in crimes at these homes or in these homes. But that crime spike doesnt exist.
  • Nobody is saying that if you don't lock your doors, then you will be attacked or killed...

But what is the problem with people locking their doors? Some people do as a matter of routine, others do it out of paranoia, others do it just for the feeling of safety...

We usually lock our doors... Our neighborhood is relatively crime free and we have two dogs, so nothing would probably happen to us if we left them unlocked anyway... but what is the problem with trying to eliminate that possibility?

I'm 36 and have never gotten in a serious car accident in my life... but I wear my seatbelt. Am I caving into media hype or just doing something smart that takes 2 seconds that might protect me?

If I am in a shit-packed subway station or concert venue were people bump into everyone, I'll usually put my wallet in my front pocket.... Am I caving into media hype or just being proactive?

Just because people do things to protect themselves from things that probably wouldn't happen anyway isn't a bad thing.

i didnt make it up. people have posted on here with more knowledge than myself. they live or have visited other countries and in those countries people leave their doors unlocked and magically no one rapes and murders them.

my question as a conscientious person, as a person who is interested in society and culture and how we interact with each other, is why that behavior is viewed as normal in spain or canada, but is seen as rare and odd even bizaare here in the U.S.? And whats to explain the lack of crime?

Are you suggesting that people are saying that unlocked doors would cause crime to start? No one is saying that...

If anything how you are thinking about this is backwards... In the US, the crime rate is higher so that causes people to lock their doors... Crime didn't start to happen because of unlocked doors.

If there were crime sprees in Spain or Canada, then people would probably start locking their doors (at least in areas close to the crime sprees).
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966

if people can leave their doors wide open in china and canada and wherever then it must be media hype and media created fear right? Why do people in china feel they can leave their doors unlocked and people in NYC lock their doors? Whats the disconnect here?

Are you comparing similar types of communities, population sizes, and overall standards of living? I think this question needs addressed before you can really start to dissect the topic.
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    im not suggesting anything friend. you are. I pointed out that in china and in canada and apparently in australia people leave their doors open at night and nothing bad happens. yet in america people obsessively check at night to make sure their doors are locked and alarms are on. that to me is a major disconnect. Is their really less crime in australia and spain and china and canada than in america? Do only nonviolent and non threatening people live in those countries?

No doubt horrible things have happened in america, people have been murdered and raped and robbed and assaulted.

my point is, i think alot of it is media hype and horror movies. are people sometimes murdered and raped in their houses, yes. but to the extent people seem to suggest? hell no.

but as i said, i lock my doors at night as well. im part of the system as well.
    Au contraire, dude. By no means am I suggesting that we go back to the those happy days of yesteryear when people didn't lock their doors at night. And if you're not suggesting that it would be a good thing for us all to live in that kind of harmony, you're doing a pretty good approximation.

As far as people being influenced solely by the media, movies and TV, I'm sure there are some gullible people who buy that but not everybody just because they lock their doors. You say as a child you were frightened by the kidnapping and murder of Polly Klaas. My mother has told me of being terrified as a child after hearing adults talk about the Lindbergh kidnapping. She damn sure wasn't getting those messages from movies and TV in 1932. The world has always been a dangerous place.

How about medieval castles, built in inaccessible places, with moats around them? Walled cities, with doors that could be barred? Think those people were succumbing to media hype? Maybe they weren't worrying about serial murderers but I'll bet the underlying principle was safety.

People who lock their doors have not been brainwashed into believing they are in constant danger. It's called being careful.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • the town i live in has many bars around and more then once ive heard of people waking up to some drunk on there couch or porch thinking it was there own house.I have a dog but still dont feel like chasing some drunk outta my house at 3am. So yeah lock em up people cause the best offense is a strong defense