Does anyone not lock their doors at night?

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited October 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Is it merely a product of being inundated with news (watch bowling for columbine) and media that depicts killers, murderers, rapists, molestors, robbers, thieves and the like constantly? Is it a media fabrication that at night we have to fear killers and rapists barging into our homes and killing us and our loved ones? Or is it truth?

Do any of you all not lock your doors and windows at night at your house? Bowling for Columbine is one of my favorite films of all time, for its discussion of this very subject. Michael Moore suggests that it is indeed media fabrication and that people could leave their doors and windows unlocked and most likely nothing bad would happen. Whats y'all's take on this?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• jshinjshin Posts: 1,759
    You could not wear a seat belt and most likely not get into a car accident.
    I ain't got no fly'n shoes..

• I don't think its all due to media hype. I think it's the act of due deligence; not taking unnecessary risk. You could lock your doors your entire life except for one day, which happens to be the only time someone attempts to rob you! There are definetly people out there committing robberies and murders. I think people are just not willing to put themselves at risk of being 'the victim this time' and choose to lock their doors and make it that much harder for a robber to get in. However, a determined criminal will not be merely deterred by a locked door as we hear about or witness it happen.
    I wish I was an alien at home behind the sun.....
    I wanna race..with the sundown..I want a last breath..I don't let out...
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    edited October 2010
    I've been to many villages here in China where people's doors are open. I've often wandered inside to take photo's when I've seen something interesting inside like a picture of Mao Zedong on the wall, or a load of religious paraphenalia.
    I've also been to friends houses in the countryside here where everyone just wanders into everyone elses homes to have a chat or a drink. It makes for a decent communal atmosphere.

It's the way it should be.
    Post edited by Byrnzie on
  • and byrnzie's point is exactly the point here. bowling for columbine very intelligently points out that many countries worldwide other than the u.s. have massive amounts of guns, guns are much more commonplace in other countries, yet murders and violence doesnt happen on the same scale or to the extent that it does here in the u.s. and thats my whole point.

if people can leave their doors wide open in china and canada and wherever then it must be media hype and media created fear right? Why do people in china feel they can leave their doors unlocked and people in NYC lock their doors? Whats the disconnect here?

If people can leave their doors open in china and not be victim in some serial killers sick vision, then why do we here in america feel leaving our doors unlocked at night would only end in bad news?
  • all our lives here in the u.s., from very early on, we are taught to lock the door at night. we see our parents do it, and eventually when we are able, we lock the doors, and then move out and lock the doors of our own apartments and houses. and we are told its to keep out robbers, rapists, killers, people who would do us harm. we're all inundated with media hype. i remember for years as a kid hearing about polly klaas and having a fear of someone coming into my house and kidnapping me. and horror movies are rife with this type of idea. a killer enters a house through an unlocked door. we've all bought into the idea. even i have. i lock my door at night. but what are the chances really? Is there really THAT much crime in the U.S. that we as a society NEED to lock our doors?
    and byrnzie's point is exactly the point here. bowling for columbine very intelligently points out that many countries worldwide other than the u.s. have massive amounts of guns, guns are much more commonplace in other countries, yet murders and violence doesnt happen on the same scale or to the extent that it does here in the u.s. and thats my whole point.

People don't carry guns here, though you can buy Samurai swords, coshes, and tasers on the high street.
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    I remember visiting my aunt and uncle in my dad's hometown in rural Northern Spain, and how they never locked their doors. Was an alien concept to me. She said they do lock them at night, but just to keep the wolves from wandering into the house when they come down from the mountains.

I made sure the front and back doors were locked that night when I was going to sleep lol
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    edited October 2010
    Is it merely a product of being inundated with news (watch bowling for columbine) and media that depicts killers, murderers, rapists, molestors, robbers, thieves and the like constantly? Is it a media fabrication that at night we have to fear killers and rapists barging into our homes and killing us and our loved ones? Or is it truth?

Do any of you all not lock your doors and windows at night at your house? Bowling for Columbine is one of my favorite films of all time, for its discussion of this very subject. Michael Moore suggests that it is indeed media fabrication and that people could leave their doors and windows unlocked and most likely nothing bad would happen. Whats y'all's take on this?

nope i dont lock my doors at night. and i sleep with my bedroom window open all year round. and its a window that can be stepped through on tiptoes from the front stoop. i dont feel the need to lock myself in my house. and i wont be made to feel afraid of the dark or what could possibly, but less so, be lurking within it.
    Post edited by catefrances on
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • I have a dog that will rip the face off of any stranger that dares enter my home
    while I am sleeping.
  • i never lock my doors. "a locked door only keeps an honest man out."
  • We lock our doors, I lock my bedroom door, and have a metal pole and a cricket bat in my wardrobe for added security.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    We lock our doors, I lock my bedroom door, and have a metal pole and a cricket bat in my wardrobe for added security.

melbourne pussies. :P :lol:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • I imagine it is pretty safe to not lock your door I mean who goes around trying people's doors to see if they are unlocked?

That being said if it did become the norm to leave it unlocked you would 'invite' people to try.

I remember a teacher once told me about 50 years ago it was pretty normal to not lock your doors but times change I guess...
  • We lock our doors, I lock my bedroom door, and have a metal pole and a cricket bat in my wardrobe for added security.

melbourne pussies. :P :lol:

Crime capital of Australia.
    Sorry we don't have a nice harbour, mardi gras, corporate pompous culture :lol:;) :twisted:
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    nope i dont lock my doors at night. and i sleep with my bedroom window open all year round. and its a window that can be stepped through on tiptoes from the front stoop. i dont feel the need to lock myself in my house. and i wont be made to feel afraid of the dark or what could possibly, but less so, be lurking within it.

You live in Australia - in the countryside I presume - and you say you leave your window open all night?

I call bullshit.
  • Hey everyone, Catefrances has set up her home like in the movie "Home Alone".
    She has booby traps everywhere, like a bucket of tar and feathers on a string above the doorway.
  • FrannyFranny Posts: 2,054
    Byrnzie wrote:

You live in Australia - in the countryside I presume - and you say you leave your window open all night?

I call bullshit.

You'd be surprised Byrnzie.....Where I live we don't lock our doors either and it's to bloody hot to close the windows most of the time, plus we like the fresh air. I don't know about CF, but I am in a rural/residential area and only 1/2 hr away from the state capital. It's just the way it is, everyone here knows each other but we don't live in each other pockets, yet if something doesn't seem right people aren't afraid to give a call or pop in to make sure.
    In saying that, when I lived about 20 mins away from where I am now, I would make sure EVERYTHING was locked.....it all depends on the area.
    Byrnzie wrote:

I call bullshit.

call all the bullshit you want steve. and you presume wrong... i live in disturbia, not the countryside(whatever the hell that is ;) :P ), and as i said my window is open all night. tis really not that hard to believe.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    I guess I'm a nervous nelly.... I do lock my doors and windows at night and have always locked them. :)
    ********************************************************************************************* image
    Hey everyone, Catefrances has set up her home like in the movie "Home Alone".
    She has booby traps everywhere, like a bucket of tar and feathers on a string above the doorway.

:lol:

just dont think you can get by it by going low. ;)8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I remember when my mother started insisting we lock the doors.
    In 1966 when Richard Speck killed the 8 student nurses in Chicago...we lived in Milwaukee, that was when things changed. I was 10.
    She very much took that to heart.
    Soon to follow were the Manson murders another shocking tragedy.
    The race riots were about the same year in Milwaukee.
    It seemed the violence erupted then and fear set in for many people across the country.
  • We have shutters on all bedroom windows, so in summer we can open the windows provided the shutters are partially opened (all the way down but with the holes open if that makes sense).

I have a ninja on night duty ready for action.
    We have shutters on all bedroom windows, so in summer we can open the windows provided the shutters are partially opened (all the way down but with the holes open if that makes sense).

Ninja Turtle?? :lol:;)
    We have shutters on all bedroom windows, so in summer we can open the windows provided the shutters are partially opened (all the way down but with the holes open if that makes sense).

heroes in a halfshell... TURTLEPOWER!!!
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • We have shutters on all bedroom windows, so in summer we can open the windows provided the shutters are partially opened (all the way down but with the holes open if that makes sense).

No, a hot female ninja dressed in ninja clothes.
    She stands up all night in the corner of my room looking out for me.
  • At the front of our house we have the below picture (in the size of a small billboard) hanging to warden off any would be burglars....

home_alone_2_lost_in_new_york_3.jpg
    edited October 2010
    [No, a hot female ninja dressed in ninja clothes.
    She stands up all night in the corner of my room looking out for me./quote]

and just hoping you make the wrong move so she can kick your arse. :P :lol:
    Post edited by catefrances on
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say

She stands up all night in the corner of my room looking out for me.

Oh here I was with THIS image in mind>>>>

adult-raphael-ninja-turtle-costume.jpg

But really it's more like this huh? ninja.jpg
  • [No, a hot female ninja dressed in ninja clothes.
    She stands up all night in the corner of my room looking out for me./quote]

and just hoping you make the wrong move so she can kick your arse. :P :lol:

S&M Ninja style, no whips hear, just fists of fury.

• I have a ninja on night duty ready for action.

Ninja Turtle?? :lol:;)[/quote]

She stands up all night in the corner of my room looking out for me.[/quote]

Oh here I was with THIS image in mind>>>>

adult-raphael-ninja-turtle-costume.jpg

But really it's more like this huh? ninja.jpg[/quote]

Have you been going through the photo's in my house you intruder you, how did you get her photo?!