Options

Whats the one song that got you hooked?

ajurlacherajurlacher Posts: 48
edited September 2008 in The Porch
Obviously Alive and Even Flow were the songs that got most of us into the band but what was the one song that sealed the deal?

I remember listening to 10 all the way through for the first time as a coherent adult a couple years ago, and i was just blown away. And then Release came on.....and I almost started crying. That's how powerful it was. The song, well it hits very close to home. I'll leave it at that, and with such literal lyrics and beautiful music, that was it. I was HOOKED. Been a PJ fanatic ever since.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    InMyTree4InMyTree4 Posts: 1,239
    no specific song...it was seeing them live that hooked me
    PJ:7/2/03.9/28/04.5/25/06.8/5/07.6/14/08.6/27/08.6/28/08.6/30/08.
    10/30/09.10/31/09.5/17/10.9/7/11
    EV:boston 1+2.albnay 1.boston 2010
  • Options
    Wishlist. heard it alot on the radio in 98
    If You Give, You Begin To Live

But You Might Die Trying
  • Options
    MattyJoeMattyJoe Posts: 1,424
    Go.
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    jeremy originally hooked me
    but for 'sealing the deal', i don't know why, but something about 'i am mine' made me just go 'holy crap!'
    two other close seconds would have to be 'better man' & 'elderly woman'- those two also made me love the band even more after i'd heard them for the first time
  • Options
    DTE at the holmdel 03 show
    GO GIANTS
    GO DEVILS
    7/14/03-PNC NJ ~ 6/1/06-CAA1 NJ ~ 6/3/06-CAA2 NJ ~ 8/5/07-Lolla IL ~ 6/24/08-MSG1 ~ 6/25/08-MSG2 ~ 8/7/08-NJPAC (eV Solo)

"I'm feeling kinda righteous right now...with my Bad@$$-M0therf*ck!n'-Ukulele!"
    -eV 8/7
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    Seeing the Jeremy video actually got me in PJ. Their best video ever. Bought Ten, loved it, and never looked back.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    Red_DotRed_Dot Posts: 1,454
    Given to fly
    Take me for a ride before we leave...
  • Options
    Corduroy wet my whistle and given to fly put me over the top. That was when i listened to live on two legs for the first PJ album turn ever...Given to fly studio blew my mind even further.
    5/24/06 - Boston
    5/25/06 - Boston
    6/28/08 - Mansfield
    6/30/08 - Mansfield
    8/2/08 - Eddie in Boston (FRONT ROW!)
  • Options
    Jeremy.

Xbox live name way back when it first came out was KingJeremy
    "It's as comfortable as can be. But when you're on stage playing with Neil, well -- it's one thing to be at the zoo and watch an animal pace around its cage. It's another to be in the cage with him." -Eddie Vedder
  • Options
    pj622pj622 Posts: 110
    my ex boyfriend loved Oceans.. i got ten to see what it was all about.. hooked since then!!
  • Options
    i remember being like 9 ('91 or '92)when i first heard 'jeremy' and i was hooked. i remember asking my dad to buy me the cassette but he said no. we would always go to pizza inn after church on sundays and i would always put it on the jukebox. it wasn't until i was 13 that my older brother finally bought ten on cd that i heard the rest of the songs.
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • Options
    PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    I can't actually remember what the first song I heard was, think it was No Code that made the impression on me. Present Tense, Hail, Hail or In My Tree....
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • Options
    pretextpretext Posts: 1,294
    I think it was Jeremy (and the video) that got me in the door. Then it's hard to differentiate amongst Ten tracks. I remember busting that open on XMas night in '92 and listening to it over and over again on my sony discman. i can still feel sitting in the dark, the first tinklings of Once, the anger and angst all culminating in the catharsis of Release. a great, transformational night.
  • Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,696
    "Stupid Mop"

No Seriously...

It made me realize this band couldn't even suck if they tried
  • Options
    finnanniefinnannie Posts: 1,186
    yellow ledbetter

:)
    Won't let the light escape from me.
    Won't let the darkness swallow me.
  • Options
    Definitely Black
    9-28-96 Randall’s Island NY; 9-01-00 Camden NJ; 7-05-03 Camden NJ; 10-01-04 Reading PA; 10-03-05 Philly PA; 5-27-06 Camden NJ; 5-28-06 Camden NJ; 6-19-08 Camden NJ; 6-20-08 Camden NJ; 6-24-08 NYC NY; 8-7-08 EV Newark, NJ; 6-11-09 EV Philly PA; 6-12-09 EV Philly PA; 10-27-09 Philly PA; 10-28-09 Philly PA; 10-30-09 Philly PA; 10-31-09 Philly PA; 5-15-10 Hartford CT; 5-18-10 Newark NJ; 5-21-10 NYC NY; 6-21-11 EV NYC NY; 6-22-11 EV NYC NY; 6-25-11 EV Philly PA; 7-1-11 EV StL MS; 9-3-11 E Troy WI; 9-4-11 E Troy WI
  • Options
    Oceans and Alive.
    Good evening San Diego, I'm Ron Burgundy
    And I'm Veronica Corningstone, Tits McGee is off tonight...
  • Options
    ONCE...

They had me at side one track one ...
    I was alone and far away when I heard the band start playing!

...I was always a DeadHead, but when I first heard Winston Rodney, aka the Burning Spear, sing, I became a SpearHead too!
  • Options
    Given to Fly
  • Options
    arielariel Posts: 191
    long ago it was Jeremy that got me to be a casual fan. a couple of yrs ago it was a combo of All Those Yesterdays and the person who made me listen to it a few times that got me hooked. My heart still shifts or something when I hear it :(
    Creating walls to call your own
    So no one catches you?
  • Options
    for me too. I used to babysit at this house around the corner from my best friend Mike, right around the time Vitalogy came out and he brought the CD over for me to have because he didn't like it. Thank you, Mike! The CD changed my life - which I know sounds dramatic, but I am always amazed when I look back at that time and realize that at 12-13, I was listening to a lot of the same music I still count as my favorite today. Corduroy was the song he first played for me, and that's what started me on this crazy trip!
  • Options
    NewDamageNewDamage Posts: 1,913
    I heard Alive or Even Flow, can't really remember which one first...thought it was pretty good. Didn't think too much more about it. Went to Lollapalooza '92 for Soundgarden, and Pearl Jam's performance hooked me. Went out and got "Ten" the next morning and here I am 16 years later, still a freak
    I am lost, I'm no guide. But I'm by your side...

8/25/92, 10/4/96, 10/5/96, 9/1/98, 9/4/98, 8/4/00, 8/6/00, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 10/6/04, 6/16/08
  • Options
    Had to be hereing TEN through my boomin system in my mustang back in 91 92 when at the time i was really into dr dre beasties and such but man when jeffs bass lines and eds voice ripped on my system it change music for me
  • Options
    Brain of J.
    10/3/05 --- 5/5/06 (Irving) --- 6/3/06 --- 8/2/07 (The Victoria Theater) ---8/5/07 --- 6/19/08 --- 6/20/08 --- 6/22/08---6/24/08 --- 6/25/08
    E.V. 8/1/08 --- 8/4/08
  • Options
    betterman was probably the first song i heard and realized that it was "Pearl Jam"...if that makes sense. then jeremy got me really liking pearl jam. then when i heard nothingman, that sealed the deal on them becoming my favorite band.
    me you wouldn't recall, cause i'm not my former.
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    Seeing the Jeremy video actually got me in PJ. Their best video ever. Bought Ten, loved it, and never looked back.
    Same here, didn't leave my car until VS came out. But, Even Flow just grabbed me for some reason, I couldn't stop listening to it. Then, seeing them live just put me over the top. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    In 92' I was a senior in h.s. and Alive was definitely my "jam". However, I (foolishly) put PJ on the back burner while I grew up a little (marriage, kids, work, etc.), and suddenly realized that something was missing from my life, which is when I came back around. Then, it was Crazy Mary that hooked me again. Now, it's everything. Just about every song takes my breath away, all I have to hear is Ed's soothing voice, Matt's drum solos, Mike getting lost in his own world while entertaining millions, Jeff's cute smile, and Stone's classic riffs...ah, good times!
    Huh?!
    Seattle-11/5/00
    Vancouver-9/2/05
    The Gorge 7/22/06
    Vancouver 4/3/08
  • Options
    Antreaper wrote:
    Jeremy.

Xbox live name way back when it first came out was KingJeremy

My XBox Live ID is Leatherman420. Just so you know....
    Chicago 8-23-09

• Options
    stickmanstickman Posts: 1,008
    Animal
  • Options
    EBowieEBowie Posts: 529
    The first song I heard live was Release (9.16.98)...so, there you have it.