Facebook....

Comments

• justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    I just ignore friend requests from people I don't know.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    I can't understand how people can take it so seriously. And by 'people' I mean those people who criticize it.

It's just a website like any other. It's only as important or irrelevant as you want it to be.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    It's Evil, i read somewhere that Facebook was named as one of the contributing factors in 35% of all divorces in America last year. :evil:
    Don't know how many divorces it's caused, but I have read a few articles and talked to a few people that have said facebook statuses, posts, and pictures have played a large part in divorce settlements. Like denying joint custody of children because there were pictures of the dad dating a skank and the judge denying alimoney because there were posts from the woman about going on a date while she was supposed to be happily married. It's amazing how much people will post without realizing the consequences.

As for me, I use facebook, but not really all that much. The poeple I wanted to keep in touch with I have and I don't really keep up with all the status updates.

Also, without facebook we wouldn't have http://failbook.failblog.org/ ...some of the posts there are too funny :lol:

well it's not the cause, but a factor, i think it goes alot towards giving your love one attention and such,but im' an ass, so what do i know?
  • goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,484
    I like Facebook and I check it quite regularly. My wife, on the other hand, really hates it. Sure, there's a lot of crap on there (the apps and games etc) but if you get rid of all that it's a handy way to keep in touch with people.

I only use it to keep in touch with friends and family as a lot of them are overseas - I'm more likely to send a PM on Facebook than an email just as I'm more likely to Skype call my family than use the phone. It's just another means of communication in the ever-evolving technical age.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Byrnzie wrote:
    I can't understand how people can take it so seriously. And by 'people' I mean those people who criticize it.

It's just a website like any other. It's only as important or irrelevant as you want it to be.

plus it's a great site for having a nosey at your amazing photos of China! :thumbup:
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    goldrush wrote:
    I only use it to keep in touch with friends and family as a lot of them are overseas - I'm more likely to send a PM on Facebook than an email just as I'm more likely to Skype call my family than use the phone. It's just another means of communication in the ever-evolving technical age.

I just set up an account for my husband (who was always against it for different reasons) as his brother is going overseas. And he's on it alot. Within a few hours of the account being set up, he rec'd a request from someone he does not know but they appear to have a mutual friend. another request came in from a guy he has not seen in 30 yrs. they are being ignored.

we're getting skype too after we buy a web cam.

i dont like the recent news which shows what game someone played or they bought some food for their imaginary farm animal. i want to see real stuff. there is drama though. my step mom's side of the family got in a fight over a pic that was mislabeled.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    Facebook is what it is and what you make it. I was anti until my daughter went on her travels and it was the easiest way to keep in contact. The whole family keep in contact and friends abroad. I think it's brilliant! I don't have many friends on there and if any post stupid boring things and throw in a lot of bad language I remove them.
  • FrannyFranny Posts: 2,054
    As I work at night when all my friends and family are sleeping, it makes communicating a tad more difficult as they know I will most likely be conscious when they are, so it is handy for keeping in touch and arranging times to meet up without disturbing anyones sleep. I play a couple of games on there, but usually as a wind down when I get home from work at stupid times like 4am.
  • Dissidentman is drinking coffee.
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    Dissidentman is drinking coffee.

StillHere has apple juice this morning. :)

See, FB isn't so bad? LOL
    too funny Dissidentman
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~

dunkman and 3 others like this
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • dunkman wrote:

:lol::lol:
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    dunkman wrote:

:lol::lol:

sharing :lol:
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    Facebook is way too public for me.
    My profile is super private...which defeats the point of being on Facebook.
  • SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    Facebook may be dumb but today I am thankful for it because it got me chili cheese fries from my favorite restaurant for 65CENTS!!! :D Not only THAT, I hadd the honor of meeting the OWNER! It means nothing to most but.........The Original Tommy's is and has been my FAVORITE for YEEEEEARS!!! I always tell people that facebook is a GREAT place for business advertisement and look! it is!!! :lol:
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    I have thus far resisted the urge to set up a Facebook account and update all of you every 5 minutes with my random thoughts like, "We're out of milk." "I'm doing laundry." "Hey, there's something shiny over there." (Where would I be without the "Instant Thoughts" thread...)

Also, I am very private. Which is why I've shared my address with Dimi, Eyed and Chadwick. :shock: (If I suddenly go missing, please inform the appropriate authorities in Greece, Idaho and Washington State.)

I can never remember who people are when I meet them. "Friend" requests would thoroughly befuddle me. I can't remember the names of the people in my own division at work, let alone someone I went to high school with decades ago.

Mr. Unlost is on Facebook. And now that he has mastered his latest smartphone, all of his friends know exactly what he's doing at all times. This is something even I have trouble feigning interest in, so I just don't get the whole thing.

Of course, now that Senrock mentioned the 65 cent cheese fries, I may have to rethink this. :think:
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,709
    UpSideDown wrote:
    fuck facebook
    in the face.
    82520-360-750px-james-taylor-at-tanglewoodjpg.jpg
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    dunkman wrote:
    Byrnzie wrote:

plus it's a great site for having a nosey at your amazing photos of China! :thumbup:

Byrnzie likes this.
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    Is an absolute fucking joke......

And thats all I have to say about that...

The drama!!! The drama!!!!!
    Hi Speedy!
    I love facebook! It lets us connect with all our relatives all over the country, from Alaska to San Diego to Virginia. Plus, PJ fans and updates which are way quicker than the pit! Also, the stupid games, which I admit to playing....;) But, as others have said, it's what you make it. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    I have thus far resisted the urge to set up a Facebook account and update all of you every 5 minutes with my random thoughts like, "We're out of milk." "I'm doing laundry." "Hey, there's something shiny over there." (Where would I be without the "Instant Thoughts" thread...)

Also, I am very private. Which is why I've shared my address with Dimi, Eyed and Chadwick. :shock: (If I suddenly go missing, please inform the appropriate authorities in Greece, Idaho and Washington State.)

I can never remember who people are when I meet them. "Friend" requests would thoroughly befuddle me. I can't remember the names of the people in my own division at work, let alone someone I went to high school with decades ago.

Mr. Unlost is on Facebook. And now that he has mastered his latest smartphone, all of his friends know exactly what he's doing at all times. This is something even I have trouble feigning interest in, so I just don't get the whole thing.

Of course, now that Senrock mentioned the 65 cent cheese fries, I may have to rethink this. :think:

Hey, let me tell you, anybody that knows me knows that i dont like people all up in my business. I HATE the constant updates and whereabouts like the ones you mentioned up there. If I want my frenz to know where I am or to join me, i'll texxxt them! Having said all that and agreeing with you.......the "perks" you get from businesses are pretty cool. Borders has awesome coupons and promotions and so does Dunkin Donuts which, i cant find exxxcept for when im in NYC! (just to name a few) :lol: And its great advertisement for work purposes! ;)
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • I laugh when I get requests from people I went to high school with. I always wanna type back that I never liked you then and I sure as hell don't wanna be your friend now. But I just click decline. lol
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    I laugh when I get requests from people I went to high school with. I always wanna type back that I never liked you then and I sure as hell don't wanna be your friend now. But I just click decline. lol
    :lol::lol: Yep, I had a friend request from a guy that was a nasty violent a-hole who floored me over some pathetic argument. When I pointed this out he conveniently didn't remember the incident.
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    SENROCK wrote:
    .....update all of you every 5 minutes with my random thoughts like, "We're out of milk." "I'm doing laundry." "Hey, there's something shiny over there."....
    ....I HATE the constant updates and whereabouts like the ones you mentioned up there.

I thought those kind of updates were left to Twitter... now that's something I REALLY don't get! :lol:
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    It got me for free into a small gig by Robert Plant to launch his new album ... with free drinks ... it's not all bad ;)

... and I just hide anything I don't want to see in my news feed (all the games) ... and don't think I'll ever use 'Places' as that's too much info for me
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • Facebook's what you make it.

I can't be arsed with games or shitty applications... I've even deleted most of my 'likes' and groups. I, like Chime, block stuff I don't want to see and only use it to contact people or to share my world with those I choose to share my world with.

I've never had any 'drama' on facebook. I don't seek out people I don't like (I've never blocked anyone, if someone pisses me off I just de-friend and ignore anything I see with their name attached) and if they're childish enough to seek me out, well then, let 'em *shrugs*
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.

I've never had any 'drama' on facebook.

yip... there is more drama on here... ironically this actual thread contains more 'drama' than I've ever seen on Facebook... and no-one creates more 'drama' than the opening poster himself ;)
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    How else would I see dunkman in a kilt? 8-)
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Facebook's what you make it.

I can't be arsed with games or shitty applications... I've even deleted most of my 'likes' and groups. I, like Chime, block stuff I don't want to see and only use it to contact people or to share my world with those I choose to share my world with.

I've never had any 'drama' on facebook. I don't seek out people I don't like (I've never blocked anyone, if someone pisses me off I just de-friend and ignore anything I see with their name attached) and if they're childish enough to seek me out, well then, let 'em *shrugs*

Exactly. If you don't like the game updates and requests, you just block them and you don't see them. And no one is forcing you to update your status with mundane activities. For the most part, I just give a few updates, post some pics, and that's about it.

Someone mentioned the discounts and perks. Twitter is good for that too.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • ZiggyStar wrote:
    How else would I see dunkman in a kilt? 8-)

i might have to sign up for that alone
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......