Options

* THE WINE THREAD *

Comments

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    Currently drinking canadian and ginger.

About to pop open a bottle of Malbec, straight from Argentina, with some cheese and crackers.

Then its on to a a decent Chianti Classico with horseradish crusted filets.

And going to finish it off with a glass of Makers.

Done

Edit: And a little Benaroya Hall to go along with it.
  • Options
    CorduroyboyCorduroyboy Posts: 1,254
    Cabernet Franc. I refer to it as liquid silk. If you haven't tried some, please do.

Some good ones from the Fingerlakes.

Wife and I finished up bottles of Oregon pinot gris and Le Marche rosso piceno tonight. Time for bed. :yawn:

Absolutely. Lucas Vineyards puts out a fantanstic Cab Franc, and they have a desert version that goes so well when drizzled over vanilla ice cream.
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,436
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Currently drinking canadian and ginger.

About to pop open a bottle of Malbec, straight from Argentina, with some cheese and crackers.

Then its on to a a decent Chianti Classico with horseradish crusted filets.

And going to finish it off with a glass of Makers.

Done

Edit: And a little Benaroya Hall to go along with it.

Can't beat that night.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    I want to get in on this thread. I've been wanting to get into wine for a long time. I've just started and I'm trying to learn the ins and outs. I think red wine is my favorite.

Edit: I bought a bottle of some Gnarly Head Merlot a few weeks ago. Like I said, I'm a novice so I just went off the description on the back of the bottle and the cool tree on the front of the bottle. ;) I think it was around $12 a bottle, not bad I guess. If anyone has any advice feel free to share. Also, what is a price range that isn't too pricey, but you will be sure to most likely get a good bottle of wine?

It's kind of a lot of trial and error.

Look for wines that are "Estate Bottled" or "(Grown,) Produced and Bottled by...".

For Italian wines, look for "Imported by Leonardo LoCascio" - one of the best importers. Also, try Italian wines (especially white) of grapes you never heard of. There are about 3,000 different grapes used to make wine in Italy (France makes about 30), so it's pretty interesting and exciting, but very confusing. Probably want to avoid pinot grigio.

Some of my other favorites: any Oregon pinot gris, Sonoma zinfandel (red, of course), New Zealand sauvignon blanc, pretty much anything from the south of France.

Finally, most important: GO TO WINERIES. The local ones around you. Everywhere has good wine. Even Pennsylvania! Ask questions and try everything they have. And have fun! 8-)
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,287
    sunshine pilsner or go for a bottle cab tonight? :think:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    In the wine thread? Really? This is a serious question? ;)
    I'd go for the cab....tho I would choose a red wine over just about anything. Doing Mexican tonight, and they don't serve wine unless it's sangria....so.....settling for rum and diet cokes myself. Tho, I've already had a few glasses of red to prime me for the inlaws. :D
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    White Burgundy, Oregon rose' pinot noir or Fiano di Avellino??? To go with crab meat pasta.

Probably I'll just pick the one with the most alcohol, seeing as how I have to watch Kyle Kendrick pitch tonight. :lol:

• Options
    I'd go for the cab....tho I would choose a red wine over just about anything. Doing Mexican tonight, and they don't serve wine unless it's sangria....so.....settling for rum and diet cokes myself. Tho, I've already had a few glasses of red to prime me for the inlaws. :D

to be fair i posted this in the craft beer thread too ;):lol:

i was dead set on the beer until i saw you say you had some wine in a different thread actually.

mexican--get yourself some margaritas :mrgreen:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

or Sunshine Pils...

• Options
    guitar59guitar59 Posts: 1,221

Sangria is really easy to make...if you make mexican a lot it is worth learning how and putting in the effort ;)
  • Options

to be fair i posted this in the craft beer thread too ;):lol:

i was dead set on the beer until i saw you say you had some wine in a different thread actually.

well alrighty. :)
    i still say, wine is always the best choice.
    i had a few bacardi and diet cokes with lime...yummy...tho i'd prefer wine.
    i've never care for margaritas, more a daiquiri gal, but too much sugar so i avoid. and sangria, yea well...eh, i can pass. wasnt a great night, but so it goes. fucking inlaws....
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    genevievegenevieve Posts: 1,203
    I see Im a late comer to this party! Hubby and I have really gotten into wine over the past few years. Though I might not be able to keep up with the worldwide selections on here we have been buying a ton from the British Columbia area of the Okanagan. We even joined a wine club that ships us an assortment of wines every 2 months from that area.

I have found my tastes have really changed in the last couple years too. I used to love Shiraz and Sirah. Now I find Im really into Pinot Noir, Gamay Noir and some of the fruitier whites. Heading to the Okanagan in a week and cant wait to go to some of my favorite wineries and vineyards.
    the person below me smells like cat pee and raisins...
  • Options
    LoulouLoulou Adelaide Posts: 6,247
    http://www.southaustralianwines.com/pro ... d.327.html
    The Holy Trinity is my favourite wine, absolutely lovely. Great thread! :D
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • Options
    genevieve wrote:
    I see Im a late comer to this party! Hubby and I have really gotten into wine over the past few years. Though I might not be able to keep up with the worldwide selections on here we have been buying a ton from the British Columbia area of the Okanagan. We even joined a wine club that ships us an assortment of wines every 2 months from that area.

I have found my tastes have really changed in the last couple years too. I used to love Shiraz and Sirah. Now I find Im really into Pinot Noir, Gamay Noir and some of the fruitier whites. Heading to the Okanagan in a week and cant wait to go to some of my favorite wineries and vineyards.

Local wines are the best - great idea to support those guys! It's a lot harder to do in Pennsylvania.

• Options
    I didnt know there was wine being made in Penn... Its sorta like the wine being made in Aberta. Its a bit off. At the Wine Fest here a couple months ago I tried one made from alfalfa. Lets just say it wasnt my favorite! LOL Though I bet it would go nice with a fish and some sort of creamy pasta.
  • Options
    genevieve wrote:
    I didnt know there was wine being made in Penn... Its sorta like the wine being made in Aberta. Its a bit off. At the Wine Fest here a couple months ago I tried one made from alfalfa. Lets just say it wasnt my favorite! LOL Though I bet it would go nice with a fish and some sort of creamy pasta.

There are small number of PA wineries that make good stuff, out of grapes. ;) They tend to be rather expensive since demand far outstrips supply.

• Options
    Yep. There is one vineyard in the Okanagan that makes a Pinot that my hubby really wants to try. But they only make 200 bottles and when it goes on sale in the spring its sold out the same day. Thier other wines are really good though so we at least get to have those.
  • Options
    Everyone on here should check out this Arizona Wine that i'm in love with. Made by Maynard James Keenan from Tool, A Perfect Circle,and Puscifer. Merkin Vineyards and Caduceus line is his line of wines. Then he also makes wine with Eric Glomski at Arizona Stronghold.. Don't underestimate Arizona desert wine, its amazing. Also check out Blood Into Wine documentary about Maynards wine. Some of my favs. that I have tried so far are.. Merkin Vineyards 2006 Chupacabra & Merkin Vineyards 2008 Shinola. Both of them are fairly cheap $25 for the first one and i think $30 something for the 2nd. Now for the Caduceus(Primo wine) 2007 Nagual Del La Naga (MY ALL TIME FAVORITE) perfect blend of old school Italian meets new american Italian wine. 2nd up that I really liked all Cab Sav. 2005 Nagual Del Sensei. And 3rd I've had the 2008 Nagual Del Anubis a very good Sangiovese. Now on to Arizona Stronghold (a little bit easier to get a hold of, Caduceus line and Merkin Maynard doesn't produce alot of cases of.) 2009 Dala this is a 100% Cabernet Sauvignon. Loved it very much. One of the best from Stronghold I've had. 2009 Mangus. This one is a mixture of Cab Sav, Sangiovese, and Merlot(Not a big fan of Merlot wine's but I liked this one.) 2009 Nachise . This is a Syrah. I haven't had too many Syrah's to judge but this is decent. I'm more of a Cab Sav kinda guy. :) And the last one I've had from Stronghold is a white(VERY GOOD) 2009 Tazi. This one is a also a mix of Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Malvasia Bianca, Pinot Gris & Riesling. This Wine if you like White's is just to die for. Very smooth. Unlike the reds which I LOVE are good and dry. :) Check them out and let me know what you guys think...
  • Options
    Hubby and I are super excited to get some of this wine! There is a wine store that we have found where not too far. ust a tow over from us that has Maynards wine. Cant wait to try it! Have you seen the Blood Into Wine doc? I want to order it but dont know anyone that has seen it yet. Ive only seen snippets of it. It looks good though.
  • Options
    Currently drinking copolla rosso. Inexpensive but tasty.
    I love their malbec tho...yummm, so good....but at $20 a bottle, not a daily treat.
    Wine makes me happy.
    Or maybe its what wine does to me that makes me happy? ;)
    Eh hell, it tastes oh so good.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    genevieve wrote:
    Hubby and I are super excited to get some of this wine! There is a wine store that we have found where not too far. ust a tow over from us that has Maynards wine. Cant wait to try it! Have you seen the Blood Into Wine doc? I want to order it but dont know anyone that has seen it yet. Ive only seen snippets of it. It looks good though.

hey there, Yes i've seen the documentary. My fiance and I have it on netflix instant watch. Very good you will enjoy it and the wine too.. Go get some and you wont be disappointed!! Let me know which one's you got and what you thought of it!! Enjoy.. :)
  • Options
    anyone heard of james gang wineries? http://www.tobinjames.com/club.html

crazy old lady i'm doing a loan for just mentioned them to me. she's 75 and sounded pretty hammered. :lol:

tobin james cellars--looks like that is what it is called... :?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    florence151florence151 Posts: 597
    Here's my favorite ~

zaccagnini.jpg

Cantina Zaccagnini Montepulciano d’Abruzzo

A nice wine! Decant it and let it stand for two hours before you drink it next time. It will be even better.

Best I have right now is Ruffino "Modus" (an IGT) 2007. Wine Spectator gave it a 96! Under $25-!!!!!
    Hold On
  • Options
    hey there, Yes i've seen the documentary. My fiance and I have it on netflix instant watch. Very good you will enjoy it and the wine too.. Go get some and you wont be disappointed!! Let me know which one's you got and what you thought of it!! Enjoy.. :)

Cool! Will do! Do you decant? I know with some of the reds it makes a huge difference.
  • Options
    genevieve wrote:

Cool! Will do! Do you decant? I know with some of the reds it makes a huge difference.

I've never done it before myself but Eric Glomski does a great presentation of how to do it on some website I found. Its really good to do it for really old red wines cause of the sediment that develops during the aging process. And it is also good to do to very young red wines too.. Again I've never tried this before so I don't know what it would be like. One thing I do do with my wine's, is I never chill them. I read on Arizona Stronghold site that Eric said " In all the tests we have done, cold stable wines lose some of their aromatic beauty. What wouldn’t be beaten up after getting that kind of treatment?!"
  • Options
    Hey Brian.

We do decant, but we recently got ourselves this aerator. http://vinturi.com/
    We had a small aerator that you pop into the bottle like a cork and it pours out through there. But we are really liking this one now.
  • Options
    coachchriscoachchris Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada Posts: 749
    genevieve wrote:

Genevieve, we have both the wine from the Arizona Stronghold and Chupacabra, in which Maynard used imported grapes from California, and the documentary in my store. In fact, I have one Blood Into Wine poster left if you want it? I could maybe even get you an Arizona Stronghold bottle opener ;)

I manage a local wine store here in Edmonton. We have over 1600 wines! If anyone has questions regarding wine, I'd be more then happy to lend an opinion or suggestion.

For Maynard's wines, the Chupacabra and Caduceus are good but IMO not worth the money. We sell the Caduceus for $55 Canadian and I would say it tasted like a $30 bottle. The Arizona Stronghold wines are all good but I think alot of the credit goes to Glomski on that one :lol: The Nachise (Grenache, Syrah, Mourvedre) and Dala (Cab/Sauv) are both well done. We also have Tazi (white blend) and Dala (Dry Rose blend)
    Any 10c members swing by and I'll hook you up ;)

We did our best to have Maynard do a bottle signing at our store but his people were worried we couldn't provide security he would need, despite us already having arranged professional event staff which is the same staff used for all major concerts in Edmonton :roll:

We are likely getting Glomski in July :D
    Adolescence in essence is all about trust.
    Leaving is for the answering machine.
  • Options
    markin ballmarkin ball Posts: 1,066
    i bought this bottle of beaujolais the other day. lets just say i will not be becoming a regular beaujolais drinker in this lifetime or any other. its a bit weak.

The '08 beauj was pretty good!
    "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ."

"With our thoughts we make the world"
  • Options
    coachchris wrote:
    Genevieve, we have both the wine from the Arizona Stronghold and Chupacabra, in which Maynard used imported grapes from California, and the documentary in my store. In fact, I have one Blood Into Wine poster left if you want it? I could maybe even get you an Arizona Stronghold bottle opener

Yeah I will take the poster for sure. I would like to make up a package of stuff for the fundraiser. Hubby and I should come by and see you. What days are you at the store?
  • Options
    coachchriscoachchris Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada Posts: 749
    genevieve wrote:
    coachchris wrote:
    Genevieve, we have both the wine from the Arizona Stronghold and Chupacabra, in which Maynard used imported grapes from California, and the documentary in my store. In fact, I have one Blood Into Wine poster left if you want it? I could maybe even get you an Arizona Stronghold bottle opener

Yeah I will take the poster for sure. I would like to make up a package of stuff for the fundraiser. Hubby and I should come by and see you. What days are you at the store?

Monday-Friday 10am-6pm. St. Albert (right beside the casino) 3 Curial Dr.
    Adolescence in essence is all about trust.
    Leaving is for the answering machine.