Options

* THE WINE THREAD *

Comments

• Options
    genevievegenevieve Posts: 1,203
    Looks like hubby will have to take a morning off work so we can come over and see ya. But Im sure it will be worth it! :D
    the person below me smells like cat pee and raisins...
  • Options
    coachchriscoachchris Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada Posts: 749
    genevieve wrote:
    Looks like hubby will have to take a morning off work so we can come over and see ya. But Im sure it will be worth it! :D

Poster and DVD put aside for you as a donation for the Pre-Party. Asked for additional corkscrews today ;)
    Adolescence in essence is all about trust.
    Leaving is for the answering machine.
  • Options
    coachchris wrote:
    genevieve wrote:
    hey there, Yes i've seen the documentary. My fiance and I have it on netflix instant watch. Very good you will enjoy it and the wine too.. Go get some and you wont be disappointed!! Let me know which one's you got and what you thought of it!! Enjoy.. :)

Cool! Will do! Do you decant? I know with some of the reds it makes a huge difference.

Genevieve, we have both the wine from the Arizona Stronghold and Chupacabra, in which Maynard used imported grapes from California, and the documentary in my store. In fact, I have one Blood Into Wine poster left if you want it? I could maybe even get you an Arizona Stronghold bottle opener ;)

I manage a local wine store here in Edmonton. We have over 1600 wines! If anyone has questions regarding wine, I'd be more then happy to lend an opinion or suggestion.

For Maynard's wines, the Chupacabra and Caduceus are good but IMO not worth the money. We sell the Caduceus for $55 Canadian and I would say it tasted like a $30 bottle. The Arizona Stronghold wines are all good but I think alot of the credit goes to Glomski on that one :lol: The Nachise (Grenache, Syrah, Mourvedre) and Dala (Cab/Sauv) are both well done. We also have Tazi (white blend) and Dala (Dry Rose blend)
    Any 10c members swing by and I'll hook you up ;)

We did our best to have Maynard do a bottle signing at our store but his people were worried we couldn't provide security he would need, despite us already having arranged professional event staff which is the same staff used for all major concerts in Edmonton :roll:

We are likely getting Glomski in July :D

Man on a side note I do like Arizona Stronghold but only one Caduceus I really liked was the Nagual Del La Naga I thought it was awesome.. But I'm a big Maynard fan so I had to try it. Though I have been trying to get my local Liquor store to get in for me the Arizona Stronghold Dayden Dry Rose Blend but they haven't.. :( They carry all the others but the Rose one. Oh this fall Arizona Stronghold is coming out with a Dala Chardonnay. Can't wait for that!!
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    Coppola shiraz.
    Yummm.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    2003 Collosorbo Brunello ;)
  • Options
    markin ballmarkin ball Posts: 1,066
    Some humble advice from a wine novice to wine newbies...

Pay careful attention to the vintage. It can make a huge difference. An '08 in your favorite brand might be much worse or better than the '07, etc. Look for a wine vintage app for your phone and when you are selecting a wine at the store, look up the region and see if that year was good or not. Its not a fool proof way of ensuring you'll get something great, but its a whole lot better than just a wild guess. I would rather choose a varietal I wasn't necessarily looking for that had a great year over the one I went into the store for almost every time.

Secondly...90% of cheap wine is very mediocre. Unfortunately about 70% of $20 to $25 wine is, too. I hope I'm not sounding too snobbish, but when you are new to wine, I think generally you can be ignorant of what good wine with depth, complexity and concentration is supposed to taste like. I know I was for sure. I think one of best ways to educate your palate is to go to a really great restaurant with a sommelier who can set up a great pairing with properly served wine at the right temperature, etc. I had no idea what I was doing until I had a few $75 to $200 wines from great vintages with great food. Once I learned, though, I was able to identify much better wines that were $25 and under which make up the vast majority of what I drink ($15 and under actually).
    "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ."

"With our thoughts we make the world"
  • Options
    You are totally right - when it comes to wine price means everything! The more expensive wines are dramatically better!

My favorite wine at the moment is Plantagenet Omrah 2008 Pinot Noir. A western Austrailian burgundy. It is dry and soooo smooth. Just pure bliss to savor. I tried a cheaper south eastern Austrailian Pinot Noir thinking, hey maybe its not THAT much of a difference. Holy hell was I wrong! Total shit. I will stick with my Plantagent Pinot Noir - It's not a $75 bottle but it is quite amazing! Give it a try wine lovers - you can thank me later ;)
  • Options
    You are totally right - when it comes to wine price means everything! The more expensive wines are dramatically better!

My favorite wine at the moment is Plantagenet Omrah 2008 Pinot Noir. A western Austrailian burgundy. It is dry and soooo smooth. Just pure bliss to savor. I tried a cheaper south eastern Austrailian Pinot Noir thinking, hey maybe its not THAT much of a difference. Holy hell was I wrong! Total shit. I will stick with my Plantagent Pinot Noir - It's not a $75 bottle but it is quite amazing! Give it a try wine lovers - you can thank me later ;)

Try a Nevis Bluff '05 PInot. Very good for $15.
    "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ."

• Options
    florence151florence151 Posts: 597
    Tonight's dinner and wine:

2007 FRESCOBALDI NIPOZZANO Wine Spectator 91 Robert Parker 90 $19.00. Plum, cherry forward but with enough tannin to keep it bright. Decanted for 3 hours before dinner.

With a simple, farm style lenil soup made with tomato and chopped sauteed sausage with fresh spinach added. Grated cheese on top / Romano. Home made bread: Italian Style, hard, corn meal encrusted, roll.

Just the way it should be.
    Hold On
  • Options

Pay careful attention to the vintage. It can make a huge difference. An '08 in your favorite brand might be much worse or better than the '07, etc. Look for a wine vintage app for your phone and when you are selecting a wine at the store, look up the region and see if that year was good or not. Its not a fool proof way of ensuring you'll get something great, but its a whole lot better than just a wild guess. I would rather choose a varietal I wasn't necessarily looking for that had a great year over the one I went into the store for almost every time.

Secondly...90% of cheap wine is very mediocre. Unfortunately about 70% of $20 to $25 wine is, too. I hope I'm not sounding too snobbish, but when you are new to wine, I think generally you can be ignorant of what good wine with depth, complexity and concentration is supposed to taste like. I know I was for sure. I think one of best ways to educate your palate is to go to a really great restaurant with a sommelier who can set up a great pairing with properly served wine at the right temperature, etc. I had no idea what I was doing until I had a few $75 to $200 wines from great vintages with great food. Once I learned, though, I was able to identify much better wines that were $25 and under which make up the vast majority of what I drink ($15 and under actually).

You do have to be aware of price but by no means does it reflect all wines. I agree though, vintage can make a dramatic difference. We have vintage charts posted in my store for consumers to check.

That said, there are some great wines under $25 out there.

Schild Estates 2008 Shiraz, we sell for $25
    Wine Spectator rated the wine 94 points and then ranked it No. 7 in the Top 100 Wines of the year.

D'Arenberg Stump Jump Shiraz, we sell for $14.95
    The Stump Jump Shiraz, 2008, is one of Wine Spectator's Top 100 Wines of 2009.

Peter Lehmann Clancy's we sell for $14.95
    Wine Spectator, has selected Clancy’s in its prestigious Top 100 Wines of the Year listing on no less than four occasions since 1997, and selected the 2004 vintage to appear in its inaugural list of the world’s Top 100 Wine Values.

Those are just out of Australia. Once you know what to look for there's a ton out there! ;)
  • Options
    Can someone post a picture or the wine bottle Ed drinks? I know I've seen it a couple times and I've heard it's made only for him but if I had something to go on, I'm pretty sure I could get my hands on it ;)

Thanks in advance for any help!
  • Options
    coachchris wrote:

You do have to be aware of price but by no means does it reflect all wines. I agree though, vintage can make a dramatic difference. We have vintage charts posted in my store for consumers to check.

That said, there are some great wines under $25 out there.

Schild Estates 2008 Shiraz, we sell for $25
    Wine Spectator rated the wine 94 points and then ranked it No. 7 in the Top 100 Wines of the year.

D'Arenberg Stump Jump Shiraz, we sell for $14.95
    The Stump Jump Shiraz, 2008, is one of Wine Spectator's Top 100 Wines of 2009.

Peter Lehmann Clancy's we sell for $14.95
    Wine Spectator, has selected Clancy’s in its prestigious Top 100 Wines of the Year listing on no less than four occasions since 1997, and selected the 2004 vintage to appear in its inaugural list of the world’s Top 100 Wine Values.

Those are just out of Australia. Once you know what to look for there's a ton out there! ;)

McClaren and Barrosa shiraz are my favorite varietals.

I LOVE the '08 Schild!

I wasn't as impressed with the jump stump, though. Even for $10. Different strokes, I guess.

I will def. look for the Peter Lehman very soon.

• Options
    If you don't mind spending a couple bucks. May I suggest the Peter Lehmann 8 Songs ;)

The 02 Vintage or 04 Vintage. O3 was a bit of a dud but the others are filled with chocolate and plum. Make sure you decant for an hour or so...

We sell it for $50 here...so probably about $20 in the US :lol:
  • Options
    CorduroyboyCorduroyboy Posts: 1,254
    This weekend, I officially became a wino. Joined a wine club on Friday night, then joined another yesterday. Needless to say, the stock of Cabernet Franc is up in my house!! And so is the Pinot Noir!
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
    I'm definiely a newbie even though my family made zinfadel and muscatel in our basement every year as I was growing up. We used a crusher (pistons?) and let it sit for a week before we put it in the barrel. That would be in October, and then we would siphon it out in May. It was a pain in the ass. It's only good for the story value.

I like white, bubbly, and sweet. I thought I just like white and bubbly, and I bought a glass of proseco (sp?) for a dinner once, and it wasn't sweet enough. Champagne is my favorite alcoholic drink. I drink a couple times a year, and never finish even half a glass, but I recognize the appeal of trying different wines out, and how they pair well with the other food.

I like wine based sauces.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    We just visited the LI vineyards Sunday. We've been going about once a year for three years running now. Just a great day trip, beautiful scenery, fun wine tastings. Have to say, I am truly loving Bedells Taste wine. So smooth and tasty, bit of the LI earthy, spicy flavors. Sooooooo delicious! Bit of a splurge for us at $35 a bottle. Hubby really likes their First Crush too. Also, a real first for me, tried some rose wines and actually enjoyed! Perhaps in this heat, idk.....but really refreshing! Bought a few bottles from a couple different wineries....Bedell, Macari and Lenz.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
    We just visited the LI vineyards Sunday. We've been going about once a year for three years running now. Just a great day trip, beautiful scenery, fun wine tastings. Have to say, I am truly loving Bedells Taste wine. So smooth and tasty, bit of the LI earthy, spicy flavors. Sooooooo delicious! Bit of a splurge for us at $35 a bottle. Hubby really likes their First Crush too. Also, a real first for me, tried some rose wines and actually enjoyed! Perhaps in this heat, idk.....but really refreshing! Bought a few bottles from a couple different wineries....Bedell, Macari and Lenz.
    What's
    LI
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    Long Island. :mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    Clos Du Bois pinot 8-)
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    Clos Du Bois pinot 8-)

we really shouldve drank wine together!
    i was going to say, we shouldve drank more together, but i realized...we drank plenty!
    :lol:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,074
    I had some red wine for dinner yesterday. It was at a diner where many things come with a free glass of red or white wine. Not sure any of the other details beyond that.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    norm wrote:
    Clos Du Bois pinot 8-)

i was going to say, we shouldve drank more together, but i realized...we drank plenty!

next time it's wine in your backyard..not that Manhattan wasn't awesome but that's more my speed :oops: :mrgreen:
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    norm wrote:
    Clos Du Bois pinot 8-)

next time it's wine in your backyard..not that Manhattan wasn't awesome but that's more my speed :oops: :mrgreen:

hey, i offerred! :)
    next time, most definitely.
    its becoming a tradition; visit NY, drink in my garden. :P

xman, you always crack me up. :lol:
    btw - going to tony's boat cruise show? we'll be there!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    small town becksmall town beck Posts: 6,691
    mmm on my second glass of the night :D
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,721

Good idea, I'm heading for my first one of the night. Say, where's the typo?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux wrote:

Sadly, my bottle is nearing the end. I typed "fo" instead of "of". :oops:
  • Options
    brianlux wrote:

Sadly, my bottle is nearing the end. I typed "fo" instead of "of". :oops:

Ah ha!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux wrote:

Ah ha!

What are you drinking?
  • Options
    iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    I'm definiely a newbie even though my family made zinfadel and muscatel in our basement every year as I was growing up. We used a crusher (pistons?) and let it sit for a week before we put it in the barrel. That would be in October, and then we would siphon it out in May. It was a pain in the ass. It's only good for the story value.

it sounds like fun though :) so it didn't taste good or you weren't allowed since you were underage?
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options
    brianlux wrote:

Ah ha!

What are you drinking?

Well, as of now its AM so its French Roast, black. Tonight- Sterling Zin! Mmmmmmmmm!