Denver 2022
Chicago N1 2023
Chicago N2 2023
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Boxes&BooksBoxes&Books USA Posts: 2,672
  • Options
    He is still an idiot, just looking for a reality gig. He was kicked out of his church in Germany for stealing from the offering plate to pay for his personal bills.
    Indy 2000
    St. Louis 2000
    Champaign 2003
    Indy 2003
    St. Louis 2004
    Cincinnati 2006
    Indy 2010
    Hampton 2016
    Lexington 2016
    EV Bourbon and Beyond 2017
    Chicago N1 2018
    Chicago N2 2018
    Nashville 2022
    St Louis 2022
    Oklahoma City 2022
    Denver 2022
    Chicago N1 2023
    Chicago N2 2023
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,073
    his publicity stunt.

Well he got his publicity so I guess his stunt "worked"!!
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    i thought our country was all about freedom ...of speech, of religion, the pursuit of happiness and all that jazz, no i'm not so naive as to think that we are actually free, but geez...come on now. sooooo, thinking about it, thinking it through, i guess that freedom has to extend to paranoid ppl who believe that burning the Koran or Qur'an is actually going to wipe out the word of Mohammad and Islam...just like the burning of the Holy Bible would change the minds of Christians, the vedas or bhagwad gita Hinduism, etc. etc. etc.
    Its funny how that freedom of speech and religion also allows for such acts as this, isn't it? Kind of oxymoronish.
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • Options
    StillHere wrote:
    i thought our country was all about freedom ...of speech, of religion, the pursuit of happiness and all that jazz, no i'm not so naive as to think that we are actually free, but geez...come on now. sooooo, thinking about it, thinking it through, i guess that freedom has to extend to paranoid ppl who believe that burning the Koran or Qur'an is actually going to wipe out the word of Mohammad and Islam...just like the burning of the Holy Bible would change the minds of Christians, the vedas or bhagwad gita Hinduism, etc. etc. etc.
    Its funny how that freedom of speech and religion also allows for such acts as this, isn't it? Kind of oxymoronish.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=140488
  • Options
    Lizard wrote:
    his publicity stunt.

Well he got his publicity so I guess his stunt "worked"!!

He wanted to go up in a homemade balloon, but another idiot had already done that.
    Indy 2000
    St. Louis 2000
    Champaign 2003
    Indy 2003
    St. Louis 2004
    Cincinnati 2006
    Indy 2010
    Hampton 2016
    Lexington 2016
    EV Bourbon and Beyond 2017
    Chicago N1 2018
    Chicago N2 2018
    Nashville 2022
    St Louis 2022
    Oklahoma City 2022
    Denver 2022
    Chicago N1 2023
    Chicago N2 2023
  • Options
    tonifig8 wrote:
    StillHere wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=140488

ya, saw that too, but didn't want to post twice, you know?
    Cancels it, after he's already either made his point, OR made an arse out of himself and all his comrades...I think the latter. After Obama gets involved and speaks out about it..I think that's all he wanted, really.
    I can't deal with haters. Of any sort or against anything. Ignorance and Fear breeds hate. That's all it is.
    peace,
    jo

"Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • Options
    StillHere wrote:
    Cancels it, after he's already either made his point, OR made an arse out of himself and all his comrades...I think the latter. After Obama gets involved and speaks out about it..I think that's all he wanted, really.
    I can't deal with haters. Of any sort or against anything. Ignorance and Fear breeds hate. That's all it is.

I was getting that same feeling since yesterday, that - with the whole world pointing out his idiocy - he was desperately trying to find a way out without losing face, or without having to admit the depths of his hypocrisy. The Obama input gave him his "get out of jail free" card.

Meanwhile, the planners of the Ground Zero mosque, (or the community centre that's not really at ground zero at all) have put egg all aver his already humiliated face by illustrating that Muslims can actually be reasonable, rational, conciliatory, non-violent human beings! Imagine that! Isn't that what Christians are supposed to be?

Eid Sa‘eed, everybody!
    93: Slane
    96: Cork, Dublin
    00: Dublin
    06: London, Dublin
    07: London, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    09: Manchester, London
    10: Dublin, Belfast, London & Berlin
    11: San José
    12: Isle of Wight, Copenhagen, Ed in Manchester & London x2
  • Options
    StillHere wrote:

I was getting that same feeling since yesterday, that - with the whole world pointing out his idiocy - he was desperately trying to find a way out without losing face, or without having to admit the depths of his hypocrisy. The Obama input gave him his "get out of jail free" card.

Meanwhile, the planners of the Ground Zero mosque, (or the community centre that's not really at ground zero at all) have put egg all aver his already humiliated face by illustrating that Muslims can actually be reasonable, rational, conciliatory, non-violent human beings! Imagine that! Isn't that what Christians are supposed to be?

Eid Sa‘eed, everybody!

OR that ALL people of all religions can be and are (except for extremists in any religion) reasonable, rational, conciliatory, non-violent human beings.

Of course there are exceptions in any case...we talk so much about Muslims and the nation of Islam being of the terrorist persuasion, but what about fundamentalist Christians who kill abortion doctors and blow up clinics because they believe in an eye for an eye. So, which one, Islam or Christian, is better or worse? I say that there is no better or worse in any religious sect, only extremists...and there are non-religious extremists that believe in who knows what just as well..or believe in nothing, but find a reason inside their head to do damage to others with whom they don't agree.

Its the height of hypocrisy for any one religion to talk down upon the beliefs of another. I always thought that one of the most important basics of any religion,and definitely of spiritualism (under which I believe I fall) is the respect for and tolerance of the beliefs of others.

Do you agree?
    peace,
    jo

• Options
    Florida Pastor Rethinking Decision To Cancel Quran Burning

http://www.alan.com/2010/09/09/florida- ... n-burning/
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,158
    tonifig8 wrote:
    Florida Pastor Rethinking Decision To Cancel Quran Burning

http://www.alan.com/2010/09/09/florida- ... n-burning/
    ok this guy needs to make up his mind....this is getting ridiculous...
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    I'm (tentatively) glad that the book burning has been (temporarily?) cancelled. If we allow ourselves to allow theocratic ideologues, how would that make us better than our so called enemies? We know what it looks like when religion rules a country, it's called Iran. Is that really an example we want to follow? I think most Americans were against this pogrom, not out of the alleged weakness of <gasp> tolerance, but rather for the fact that, as a nation, we're far better than this. I don't think it takes much thought to realize we'd only be stooping to their (terrorists and their supporters, not followers of Islam) level. Hopefully, this hatred in protest apparel remains off the calendar. Whether it happens or not, I'm still counter protesting by participating in "international read a Qu'ran day". Educating ourselves is the one of the best weapons we have against any and all brands of extremism, imo.
    "Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence." - Max Ehrmann
  • Options
    StillHere wrote:
    StillHere wrote:

Eid Sa‘eed, everybody!

OR that ALL people of all religions can be and are (except for extremists in any religion) reasonable, rational, conciliatory, non-violent human beings.

Of course there are exceptions in any case...we talk so much about Muslims and the nation of Islam being of the terrorist persuasion, but what about fundamentalist Christians who kill abortion doctors and blow up clinics because they believe in an eye for an eye. So, which one, Islam or Christian, is better or worse? I say that there is no better or worse in any religious sect, only extremists...and there are non-religious extremists that believe in who knows what just as well..or believe in nothing, but find a reason inside their head to do damage to others with whom they don't agree.

Its the height of hypocrisy for any one religion to talk down upon the beliefs of another. I always thought that one of the most important basics of any religion,and definitely of spiritualism (under which I believe I fall) is the respect for and tolerance of the beliefs of others.

Do you agree?

Of course I agree. I was being deliberately flippant in the way I wrote that post.
    It's not religion, but extremism that's the issue. It's why, as an atheist, I have no time for the likes of Richard Dawkins.
    But yes, I agree wholeheartedly.
  • Options
    And it begins...

Qur'an burning: Nato troops shoot at Afghan protesters
    Man reported to have been shot dead in Faizabad, northern Afghanistan, after crowds attack a Nato base

A protester against plans by a US pastor to burn copies of the Qur'an is reported to have been shot dead in northern Afghanistan after crowds attacked a Nato base.

The man was killed in Faizabad, the capital of Badakhshan, according to a provincial government spokesman, when thousands of worshippers poured on to the streets after Eid prayers in mosques.

The crowds were estimated to number around 10,000 people. Some had hurled stones at a Nato base run by Germans and a protester was shot when troops inside opened fire, the spokesman, Amin Sohail, said.

The Nato-led International Security Assistance Force in Kabul said it was aware of the protests and was investigating.

The Florida pastor who threatened to burn copies of the Qur'an on the anniversary of 9/11 has meanwhile "suspended" the event, amid conflicting claims over a deal involving a planned mosque near Ground Zero in New York.

The extremist preacher, Terry Jones, first said he had cancelled the bookburning, after condemnation by Barack Obama, the Pentagon, the state department and international outrage.

Jones then said the event was only on hold, claiming he had been "lied to" over a deal to call it off in exchange for a promise to move a planned Islamic centre away from Ground Zero.

Speaking outside his Dove World Outreach Centre church in Gainesville, Florida Terry Jones said: "As of right now, we are not cancelling the event, but we are suspending it."

The confusion over whether the event will take place has done little to quell the global outrage at the prospect of burning of the holy book of Islam.The Afghan president, Hamid Karzai, expressed hope Jones would not proceed.

"The Qur'an is in the hearts and minds of all ... Muslims but the affront against the holy book is a humiliation to the people," Karzai told reporters at his palace after prayers. "We are hopeful that he gives up this affront and should not even think about it."

The president of Indonesia, home of the world's largest Muslim population, called on the US to ensure that no burnings took place.

"I continue to urge the government and the people of the United States to ensure the prevention of such an incomprehensible, irrational and immoral act," Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono said in a speech.
  • Options
    I wonder what his personal quota for number of threats on his life was before he pulled the plug.

The poison from the poison stream caught up to you ELEVEN years ago and you floated out of here. Sept. 14, 08

• Options
    I wonder what his personal quota for number of threats on his life was before he pulled the plug.
    he siad this morning they still might be burning them, so evidently he has not reached the quota...
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    I know this is America and we have freedom of speech, but shouldn't this guy be taken out behind a shed and have the crap kicked out of him? Wouldn’t that send a positive message to the rest of the world?

With the help of the ACLU, we have basically deputized idiots like this to run amok.
  • Options
    I say, let him burn them. Then he will be murdered by extremists. Everyone with a right mind will just shake their head in disgust. Then it will be done.
  • Options
    I say, let him burn them. Then he will be murdered by extremists. Everyone with a right mind will just shake their head in disgust. Then it will be done.
    That would be fine if he was the only target, but if a cartoon can cause riots and the deaths of a significant number of people, this could be 10 times worse.

I really don't think it would be a bad idea for us to beat the crap out of this guy. Nobody worth a damn has supported this guy.
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:
    That would be fine if he was the only target, but if a cartoon can cause riots and the deaths of a significant number of people, this could be 10 times worse.

I really don't think it would be a bad idea for us to beat the crap out of this guy. Nobody worth a damn has supported this guy.

Here's the only thing that bothers me about this from the other perspective...it's a book...a collection of paper and ink. Just like the cartoon.

We focus so much on this idiot because we know what it could bring...yet we give a pass often to the idiots that respond with violence.

Proving your religion is peaceful through violence. This whole thing is so absurd. It just needs to go away. Stupid media for even covering it. Stupid me for continuing to comment on it. :lol:
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    The fact of the matter is he has the Right to burn it, much like there is a Right to build a mosque, much like there is a Right to burn a US flag. It is all distasteful, but they all have the Right.

You can't have it both ways.
  • Options
    unsung wrote:
    The fact of the matter is he has the Right to burn it, much like there is a Right to build a mosque, much like there is a Right to burn a US flag. It is all distasteful, but they all have the Right.

Has anyone on the board argued that he doesn't have the right to burn the books, aside from a permit .etc..?

The center is located two blocks away. Would 3 blocks not be distasteful? :roll:
  • Options
    very interesting coincidence.....

"Quran-burning" Fla. pastor is Cape Girardeau native, ex-classmate of Rush Limbaugh
    http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/af07 ... 78c22.html

Turns out Rev. Terry Jones, the leader of a tiny Gainesville, Fla., congregation who is making considerable headlines with plans for a Islamic holy book-burning tomorrow, is from Cape Girardeau.

He graduated Cape Girardeau Central High in 1969. Another member of the class of '69? Radio talker Rush Limbaugh.

The connections have been made only in the last couple of days -- just a little bit less time than Jones has been famous.

Perhaps the first to piece it together was Ken Steinoff, also a Cape Central grad (1965), who runs Capecentralhigh.com. He tracked down the preacher's yearbook photo.

Steinoff noted that Limbaugh used to be the Cape's most famous export. Now -- for this news cycle, at least -- it is Jones. And while he's taken some grief for connecting the two famous grads, Steinoff said he was struck by the coincidence.

"When you have Rush Limbaugh and Terry Jones come out of the same class," Steinoff told the Post-Dispatch, "that's extraordinary."

Jones played on the Cape Central baseball team. His first wife, who died in 1996, was a Marble Hill, Mo., native.

Jones has little connection to the Cape today. And he seems to have little support among preachers in his hometown. In a letter to the editor published today in the Southeast Missourian, a preacher and five others asked Jones to reconsider his plan.

• Options
    very interesting coincidence.....

"Quran-burning" Fla. pastor is Cape Girardeau native, ex-classmate of Rush Limbaugh
    http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/af07 ... 78c22.html

Turns out Rev. Terry Jones, the leader of a tiny Gainesville, Fla., congregation who is making considerable headlines with plans for a Islamic holy book-burning tomorrow, is from Cape Girardeau.

He graduated Cape Girardeau Central High in 1969. Another member of the class of '69? Radio talker Rush Limbaugh.

The connections have been made only in the last couple of days -- just a little bit less time than Jones has been famous.

Perhaps the first to piece it together was Ken Steinoff, also a Cape Central grad (1965), who runs Capecentralhigh.com. He tracked down the preacher's yearbook photo.

Steinoff noted that Limbaugh used to be the Cape's most famous export. Now -- for this news cycle, at least -- it is Jones. And while he's taken some grief for connecting the two famous grads, Steinoff said he was struck by the coincidence.

"When you have Rush Limbaugh and Terry Jones come out of the same class," Steinoff told the Post-Dispatch, "that's extraordinary."

Jones played on the Cape Central baseball team. His first wife, who died in 1996, was a Marble Hill, Mo., native.

Jones has little connection to the Cape today. And he seems to have little support among preachers in his hometown. In a letter to the editor published today in the Southeast Missourian, a preacher and five others asked Jones to reconsider his plan.

Very interesting...... I believe that there are a lot of big wig/hard right conservatives supporting this wacko and possibly showing support with hard cash!
  • Options
    Interesting coincidence on the Limbaugh connection, but I don't know if it holds any water. I was classmates with Drew Brees . . . yet I can't throw a football over 30 yards and I know how to cut and comb my hair.
  • Options
    unsung wrote:

and you have the right to stir the pot
    Sure he has rights to do whatever. BUT
    and a big BUT
    what about the young men and women of the world who are fighting in afganistan. do they have the right to not have fools like this goading the enemy, helpi the enemy recruit more suicide bombers etc.
    and thats the problem.General P has already said enough I dont need to add.'
    RIGHTS COME WITH RESPONSABILITY
    AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    Jason P wrote:

don't we have the right to free speech in america? i guess you wanna beat the crap outta people that burn the american flag at war protests or that god hates fags cult. would you wanna beat me up if i burned the holy bible right now and posted it on youtube for the whole world to see.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    metsfan wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

don't we have the right to free speech in america? i guess you wanna beat the crap outta people that burn the american flag at war protests or that god hates fags cult. would you wanna beat me up if i burned the holy bible right now and posted it on youtube for the whole world to see.

Freedom of Speech as protected by the First Amendment only deals with government interference with our freedom of expression by way of congressional law. The First Amendment doesn't protect against anything BUT laws abridging the Freedom of Speech. I'm not in any way condoning the idea that violence be used to suppress expression, just pointing out that, as far as the Constitution is concerned, there's no freedom to speak without consequence, and no guarantees that people have to listen. Unless I'm congress passing a law to do so, I'm not infringing anything by telling another person to shut up.
    "Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence." - Max Ehrmann
  • Options
    Jacurutu22 wrote:

Freedom of Speech as protected by the First Amendment only deals with government interference with our freedom of expression by way of congressional law.

Please tell this to all the musicians out there. :lol:
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    metsfan wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

yes. :crazy:

Of course I don't really want to hurt anybody. But if 100% of people with political credentials tell someone to knock it off, and they don't knock it off, it is frustrating to see an "Oh well, what are you going to do" attitude. There is the potential for hundreds of people to die because of this man's actions and we just sit back and do nothing.