Options

New Nine Inch Nails song intro a BLATANT Pearl Jam ripoff...

2»

Comments

• Options
    BonesmagooBonesmagoo Posts: 41
    Last Exit is PJ's only odd time signature tune that is in 5/4 first of all, and this tune is in 4/4. Anyways, it's definitely not as bad as a rip off that Breakerfall is to I Can See for Miles by Eddie's favorite band.
  • Options
    whitepantswhitepants Posts: 723
    sgossard3 wrote:
    NIN and PJ are on the same level of talent... INFACT if it comes down to front men... NIN is more innovative with songwriting (though i like eds voice better)... trent doesnt need to rip anything off from PJ

its just a drum beat

this thread is DUMB!

Fucking word!

So what if there is similarity. But what I find more cool is that there are NIN fans here in the jamily. PJ and NIN are my two most favorite bands. You are a special ass person if you love both Pearl Jam and NIN! :cool:

Hail NIN! Hail Pearl Jam! :D
    ~*~Me and Hippiemom dranketh the red wine in Cleveland 2003~*~

First PJ Show: March 20, 1994 | Ann Arbor | Crisler Arena
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    whitepants wrote:
    Fucking word!

So what if there is similarity. But what I find more cool is that there are NIN fans here in the jamily. PJ and NIN are my two most favorite bands. You are a special ass person if you love both Pearl Jam and NIN! :cool:

Hail NIN! Hail Pearl Jam! :D
    yay! im special! :D seriously though, ive only gotten really into NIN in the past year or so and they fill me with a feeling i havent felt since first hearing PJ... its like a healthy, energetic anger
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    Did you know the verse of Given To Fly sounds oddly similar to Going To California by Zeppelin?

Yeah, and "Inside Job" sounds like "She's Like the Wind" by Patrick Swayze.

Think about it.
  • Options
    IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    Yeah, and "Inside Job" sounds like "She's Like the Wind" by Patrick Swayze.

Think about it.

Well, the lyrics are of similar quality.
  • Options
    prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355

http://www.theninhotline.net/archives/articles/axc94a.shtml

(L = Interviewer, T = Trent Reznor)

L: But don't you have a responsibility to yourself as a musician, let alone to your fans?

T: Absolutely I do. I'm saying if I did that I'd feel shitty about selling a lot of records. But I've made the records I've wanted to make. And if a lot of people want to buy them, then who am I to say they're not cool enough to buy my records. You're a nerd. You're from Pennsylvania, you can't buy this. I grew up there! I was one of those guys who wasn't cool enough. It's music. If you don't like it, the Pearl Jam record is right there on the shelf. Buy it! It's for people like you.

L: What do you listen to?

T: Pearl Jam.

L: Alright.

T: I fucking hate Pearl Jam.

L: O.K.
    Sounds like a closet fan to me! :D
  • Options
    VOLITIONVOLITION Posts: 328
    it's a half step behind Last Exit's beat but the pattern is pretty bang on.
    "it feels like it's the end of the world and we all got a good seat. you know -- step right up, get your tickets...here we go."

- EV
  • Options
    Yes the drums sound the same... but there is no such thing as ripping off anyone with a drum beat. Or else there would be too many lawsuits.
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    I laughed my ass off when I read the subject of this thread. Drum beats are so common... AND.... Trent Reznor doesn't need to rip off anyone. He's slightly talented. :)

Hehe slightly no? I love NIN as much as I love Pearl Jam, and while the percussion is similar at the beginning, (for what, all of 2 bars or so?) the drums are a little more fuzzy than with Last Exit.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    Fucking Dave Abrusuzzeussseuzze is drumming fo NIN now?
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
  • Options
    Bonesmagoo wrote:
    Last Exit is PJ's only odd time signature tune that is in 5/4 first of all, and this tune is in 4/4.

we have a winner.

although it sounds similar, it's only a ripoff if you ignore the fact that the two songs are in completely different time signatures. the drum beat for last exit is anything but common.

FYI, sleight of hand is also partially in 5/4.

i wouldn't mind hearing more odd time sigs in the future. matt cameron tears those songs up. :D
  • Options
    pjcincipjcinci Posts: 223
    TallGuyCM wrote:
    Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj9m9xNbVo0

A song off of the new Nine Inch Nails record entitled "The Slip".

The song is called "1,000,000" and the drum intro sounds exactly the same as the intro to "Last Exit".

YEH
    Trent Reznor is so unoriginal

what a fucker
  • Options
    not to piss on NIN parade, but thats about the only song that sounds different from every other NIN song in existence. Suck it Trent!!!! bwahahaha
  • Options
    darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    sgossard3 wrote:
    Lostdoggie wrote:
    billy corgans hating PJ has never made me hate the smashing pumpkins anymore... its childish enough that ill never obsessively follow SP the way i do PJ... but it shouldnt take away from the music...

and ive never heard of trent hating PJ... i can think of certain songs that might make him hate them... but does anyone have a link that confirms this?

Uh dude...Billy Corgan loves Pearl Jam. In fact, I have an mp3 of the Pumpkins playing the Beatles "I've Got a Feeling" and Eddie Vedder sings with them!!! But I will agree with the fact that just bc one artist doesn't like another artist, that shouldn't affect your opinion on both of them.
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    sound is similar but not exactly the same

IMO im liking the later version of NIN compared to the old style industrial, call me crazy :)
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    sgossard3 wrote:

Uh dude...Billy Corgan loves Pearl Jam. In fact, I have an mp3 of the Pumpkins playing the Beatles "I've Got a Feeling" and Eddie Vedder sings with them!!! But I will agree with the fact that just bc one artist doesn't like another artist, that shouldn't affect your opinion on both of them.
    thats probably from back when PJ opened for them and RHCP... not at all an indication of billys feelings for PJ... cause he has been pretty open with how much he dislikes them... which he probably got from hanging out with courtney love too much

and to people calling NIN unoriginal... HA... how familiar are you with their music?? more PJ songs sounds similar to me than NIN songs
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    sgossard3 wrote:
    thats probably from back when PJ opened for them and RHCP... not at all an indication of billys feelings for PJ... cause he has been pretty open with how much he dislikes them... which he probably got from hanging out with courtney love too much

and to people calling NIN unoriginal... HA... how familiar are you with their music?? more PJ songs sounds similar to me than NIN songs

I saw an interview from '98 where he's said that Pearl Jam was like one of the only bands that's ever intimidated him as a live act, and I know that recently he and Jimmy made comments praising them for their longevity. But anyways...

NIN is completely original whether you like them or not. However, I will say the Slip is their weakest effort. I like the album but all Trent really did for the sound of the album was mesh With Teeth and Year Zero together.
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • Options
    PJ_Lukin wrote:
    Fucking Dave Abrusuzzeussseuzze is drumming fo NIN now?

No, its the Freesinator (Josh Freese). If you would like to see what I mean, go to NIN.com and watch the rehearsal footage of a song called Letting You.
  • Options
    PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    JaneNY wrote:
    No, its the Freesinator (Josh Freese). If you would like to see what I mean, go to NIN.com and watch the rehearsal footage of a song called Letting You.
    Yes, I knew that. Dave was the drummer on the PJ recording. I was trying to be as silly as this whole thread is.
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
  • Options
    PJ_Lukin wrote:
    Yes, I knew that. Dave was the drummer on the PJ recording. I was trying to be as silly as this whole thread is.

Haha I should have known that you knew! If you haven't seen that Freese footage, though, go see it - its way cool. You can barely see the guy's arms they're moving so fast.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    MrSmith wrote:
    not to piss on NIN parade, but thats about the only song that sounds different from every other NIN song in existence. Suck it Trent!!!! bwahahaha
    (ducking lightning bolts"
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    Um, yeah. That's called a drum beat.

Sounds pretty rocking. I don't like NIN but I thought they were mostly prerecorded synth crap under all the guitars, and that just sounds like more of a guitar rock song. Kinda lame as it goes on though.
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!