Options

New Nine Inch Nails song intro a BLATANT Pearl Jam ripoff...

TallGuyCMTallGuyCM Posts: 328
edited June 2008 in The Porch
Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj9m9xNbVo0

A song off of the new Nine Inch Nails record entitled "The Slip".

The song is called "1,000,000" and the drum intro sounds exactly the same as the intro to "Last Exit".
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    NoelMichaelNoelMichael Posts: 1,630
    There's only so much you can do with drums. Song sounds pretty damn cool to me
    9-28-96 Randall’s Island NY; 9-01-00 Camden NJ; 7-05-03 Camden NJ; 10-01-04 Reading PA; 10-03-05 Philly PA; 5-27-06 Camden NJ; 5-28-06 Camden NJ; 6-19-08 Camden NJ; 6-20-08 Camden NJ; 6-24-08 NYC NY; 8-7-08 EV Newark, NJ; 6-11-09 EV Philly PA; 6-12-09 EV Philly PA; 10-27-09 Philly PA; 10-28-09 Philly PA; 10-30-09 Philly PA; 10-31-09 Philly PA; 5-15-10 Hartford CT; 5-18-10 Newark NJ; 5-21-10 NYC NY; 6-21-11 EV NYC NY; 6-22-11 EV NYC NY; 6-25-11 EV Philly PA; 7-1-11 EV StL MS; 9-3-11 E Troy WI; 9-4-11 E Troy WI
  • Options
    TallGuyCM wrote:
    Check this out:

The song is called "1,000,000" and the drum intro sounds exactly the same as the intro to "Last Exit".

close, but not exactly.
    "Have you ever.........pooped a balloon?"
    ~D.K.S.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,782
    I guess when I look away from the screen it sounds like a poorly played Last Exit.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    suns rivalsuns rival Posts: 15,926
    what the....?

YEAH!!! it does sound like the intro of last exit....
    scratching my butt...
    kinakamot ang aking puwit...
    me rascando pompis...
    krap mijn reet...
    boku no ketsuoana o kizu...
    bahrosh teezy...
  • Options
    Yes, the very beginning sounds like last exit, but how many songs have been recorded in the history of rock and roll? There are bound to be doubles. And besides, most musicians do have inspirational artists that they base their music off of. Example: Pearl Jam and Neil Young, beatles, doors, ramones, etc.
    I will hold the candle until it burns up my arm. I'll keep taking punches until their will grows tired. I will stare the sun down until my eyes go blind. I won't change direction and I won't change my mind.
  • Options
    mattcozeamattcozea Posts: 377
    It's like the first half of Last Exit's drum intro repeated a bunch of times. But it's not like Pearl Jam has never played something similar to another song.
    6-27-98 Alpine Valley
    10-8-00 Alpine Valley
    10-9-00 All State Arena, Chicago
    4-23-03 Assembly Hall, Champaign
    5-16-06 United Center, Chicago
    6-30-06 Marcus Amphitheater, Milwaukee
    8-05-07 Grant Park, Chicago
    8-21-08 EV, Auditorium Theater, Chicago
    8-22-08 EV, Auditorium Theater, Chicago
  • Options
    Your fault for listening to Nine Inch Nails. Only so many times I can see that pony pull the same trick.
  • Options
    TallGuyCMTallGuyCM Posts: 328
    Your fault for listening to Nine Inch Nails. Only so many times I can see that pony pull the same trick.

It's true that they peaked with "The Downward Spiral" and "The Fragile", but NIN is really the only band that is pushing the envelope at all when it comes to industrial music.

I mean, yeah, Pearl Jam's my favorite band, but it's not like Riot Act and Avocado aren't the 'pony pulling the same trick.'
  • Options
    a few songs have that same beat. I know Primus has a song like that called Camelback something.
  • Options
    Pearl Jam didn't invent that drum beat.

Did you know the verse of Given To Fly sounds oddly similar to Going To California by Zeppelin?

Whatever.
    Horry Kow!
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Are you joking?

You can rip off drum beats?

Well shit, I think its all been done then.. Artists should all be banned from new music.
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,879
    Pearl Jam ripped of Led Zep in Given to Fly right?
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    NIN and PJ are on the same level of talent... INFACT if it comes down to front men... NIN is more innovative with songwriting (though i like eds voice better)... trent doesnt need to rip anything off from PJ

its just a drum beat

this thread is DUMB!
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    TallGuyCM wrote:
    Check this out:

Trent Reznor hates Pearl Jam, so he wouldn't of ripped them off delibertly.
    Sometimes I'll "write" a riff on guitar, & a few months later I'll realize the riff was already written.
    "Why stand when you can sit?" - Winston Churchill
    "Why sit when you can dance?" - Me
  • Options
    NIN blows.
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    NIN blows.
    I'm not a big NIN fan.. but you are smoking crack if you think they blow.
  • Options
    Common drum beat.

Nine Inch Nails are great.
  • Options
    faithful227faithful227 Posts: 352
    I laughed my ass off when I read the subject of this thread. Drum beats are so common... AND.... Trent Reznor doesn't need to rip off anyone. He's slightly talented. :)
    VHC member #155***

Ft Lauderdale '96:::West Palm Beach '98:::Tampa '00:::Tampa '03:::Camden 1&2 '06::: DC '06:::West Palm Beach '08:::Tampa '08:::Columbia '08:::Virginia Beach '08

• Options
    Horse2345Horse2345 Posts: 3,265
    MrSmith wrote:
    a few songs have that same beat. I know Primus has a song like that called Camelback something.

I always thought it was Cameltoe something
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    close, but not exactly.
    I agree but the very beginning is almost dead on. Still a cool NIN track though.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Horse2345 wrote:
    I always thought it was Cameltoe something
    camelback cenima is the primus song people are thinking of, it's from "brown album" A great album too by the way. :)
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    LostdoggieLostdoggie Posts: 257
    quote]

Really? I've never heard of Reznor hating Pearl Jam. That would suck because I like NIN, but if he hates Pearl Jam I'll hate him even more. Need to protect my boys!
    Sometimes life don't leave you alone

8/20/98 - Montreal
    8/29/00, 8/30/00 - Mansfield
    7/02/03, 7/03/03, 7/11/03 - Mansfield
    9/28/04, 9/29/04 - Boston
    5/24/06, 5/25/06 - Boston
    6/28/08, 6/30/08 - Mansfield
  • Options
    Lostdoggie wrote:
    quote]

Really? I've never heard of Reznor hating Pearl Jam. That would suck because I like NIN, but if he hates Pearl Jam I'll hate him even more. Need to protect my boys!

Trent made a comment back in 1994 about not liking them.

And then just a few years ago he did the Bridge School benefit with them

So clearly he's over it.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    Lostdoggie wrote:
    quote]

billy corgans hating PJ has never made me hate the smashing pumpkins anymore... its childish enough that ill never obsessively follow SP the way i do PJ... but it shouldnt take away from the music...

and ive never heard of trent hating PJ... i can think of certain songs that might make him hate them... but does anyone have a link that confirms this?
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    Lostdoggie wrote:
    billy corgans hating PJ has never made me hate the smashing pumpkins anymore... its childish enough that ill never obsessively follow SP the way i do PJ... but it shouldnt take away from the music...

and ive never heard of trent hating PJ... i can think of certain songs that might make him hate them... but does anyone have a link that confirms this?

http://www.theninhotline.net/archives/articles/axc94a.shtml

(L = Interviewer, T = Trent Reznor)

L: But don't you have a responsibility to yourself as a musician, let alone to your fans?

T: Absolutely I do. I'm saying if I did that I'd feel shitty about selling a lot of records. But I've made the records I've wanted to make. And if a lot of people want to buy them, then who am I to say they're not cool enough to buy my records. You're a nerd. You're from Pennsylvania, you can't buy this. I grew up there! I was one of those guys who wasn't cool enough. It's music. If you don't like it, the Pearl Jam record is right there on the shelf. Buy it! It's for people like you.

L: What do you listen to?

T: Pearl Jam.

L: Alright.

T: I fucking hate Pearl Jam.

L: O.K.
  • Options
    faithful227faithful227 Posts: 352
    sgossard3 wrote:

http://www.theninhotline.net/archives/articles/axc94a.shtml

(L = Interviewer, T = Trent Reznor)

L: But don't you have a responsibility to yourself as a musician, let alone to your fans?

T: Absolutely I do. I'm saying if I did that I'd feel shitty about selling a lot of records. But I've made the records I've wanted to make. And if a lot of people want to buy them, then who am I to say they're not cool enough to buy my records. You're a nerd. You're from Pennsylvania, you can't buy this. I grew up there! I was one of those guys who wasn't cool enough. It's music. If you don't like it, the Pearl Jam record is right there on the shelf. Buy it! It's for people like you.

L: What do you listen to?

T: Pearl Jam.

L: Alright.

T: I fucking hate Pearl Jam.

L: O.K.

14 years ago ? ? ? Seriously people....

Let it go.....
    VHC member #155***

Ft Lauderdale '96:::West Palm Beach '98:::Tampa '00:::Tampa '03:::Camden 1&2 '06::: DC '06:::West Palm Beach '08:::Tampa '08:::Columbia '08:::Virginia Beach '08

• Options
    Them-BonesThem-Bones Posts: 518
    hrd2imgn wrote:
    Pearl Jam ripped of Led Zep in Given to Fly right?

Just like Led Zep ripped off more than half their riffs from old blues artists
    "If my thoughts, dreams, could be seen, they'd probably put my head, in a guillotine, but it's alright ma, it's life and life only."
  • Options
    October22 wrote:
    wouldn't "have"

Wouldn't "have."
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    MrSmith wrote:

camelback cinema
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,901
    Trent Reznor's opinions are more interesting than the man himself.