The Hunger Games....

13»

Comments

• ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    I didn't know much about this movie....saw a trailer a few weeks ago....knew it was a book....found out yesterday the book was aimed at kids....have since realised that the series is actually quite popular. Just got home from the movies....

FUCK THIS MOVIE IS BAD!!! So so so bad. It's shit. My bf and I were giving each other "the eye" constantly and pissing ourselves laughing at all the cringeworthy moments. :lol: I cringed more than Twilight! :?

They even had Stanley Tucci, Woody Harrelson, DONALD BLOODY SUTHERLAND....and wasted all of them.

Half a star out of 5 :|

Lenny Kravitz was cool though! :lol: He hasn't aged!!
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,802
    Just got home from seeing this. Too many "tween" kids there :lol: Overall i enjoyed it though. Probably should read the books but as a movie it was fun and entertaining, sorta predictable also.

That was Lenny Kravitz? I thought it was but couldn't tell.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • ZiggyStar wrote:
    I didn't know much about this movie....saw a trailer a few weeks ago....knew it was a book....found out yesterday the book was aimed at kids....have since realised that the series is actually quite popular. Just got home from the movies....

FUCK THIS MOVIE IS BAD!!! So so so bad. It's shit. My bf and I were giving each other "the eye" constantly and pissing ourselves laughing at all the cringeworthy moments. :lol: I cringed more than Twilight! :?

They even had Stanley Tucci, Woody Harrelson, DONALD BLOODY SUTHERLAND....and wasted all of them.

Half a star out of 5 :|

Lenny Kravitz was cool though! :lol: He hasn't aged!!

read the book.

read the book.

No chance in hell that is happening now. I understand the book is fantastic etc....but I can't go there now after watching that crap movie.

Have you seen the movie yet covered in bliss?
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,168
    ZiggyStar wrote:

read the book.

No chance in hell that is happening now. I understand the book is fantastic etc....but I can't go there now after watching that crap movie.

:lol::lol:

Ziggy, you're describing how I feel about Harry Potter. I hadn't read the books, saw the first movie, thought it was meh and never read the books and I probably never will no matter what anyone tells me.

I'm a big fan of the Hunger Games books, I thought the movie was OK. Better than I expected, but not as good as I had hoped. I think it's hard to do justice to the books because there are so many details. I do think Jennifer Lawrence was perfect as Katniss, I just felt the film was held back on what it could have been.

There's no reason you need to read Hunger Games at all and I don't blame you for not wanting to if you thought the movie was horrible but if you can separate the books from the movies, they really are a great read, especially the first one. I thought the books were far more vivid then the movie was able to do justice to.
  • ZiggyStar wrote:

read the book.

nope. i've read all 3 books, tho. I never see movies in the theater.
    When my kids are reading them, I'll read them then! :D Just give me 10 years or so in between! Haha :lol:
  • Suziemay wrote:
    ZiggyStar wrote:

read the book.

:lol::lol:

Ziggy, you're describing how I feel about Harry Potter. I hadn't read the books, saw the first movie, thought it was meh and never read the books and I probably never will no matter what anyone tells me.

I'm a big fan of the Hunger Games books, I thought the movie was OK. Better than I expected, but not as good as I had hoped. I think it's hard to do justice to the books because there are so many details. I do think Jennifer Lawrence was perfect as Katniss, I just felt the film was held back on what it could have been.

There's no reason you need to read Hunger Games at all and I don't blame you for not wanting to if you thought the movie was horrible but if you can separate the books from the movies, they really are a great read, especially the first one. I thought the books were far more vivid then the movie was able to do justice to.

ya-the books were fantastic! I'm a big HATER of science fiction.. didn't think i'd like it at all! star wars, lord of the rings, etc., BLEH!.. but I really got into the hunger games! Can't wait until they're free on cable!
  • ZiggyStar wrote:
    When my kids are reading them, I'll read them then! :D Just give me 10 years or so in between! Haha :lol:

the book wasn't already popular over there? my daughter read it 3 years ago as a class assignment... it was a big deal here, that's why they made a movie out of it!
    ZiggyStar wrote:

the book wasn't already popular over there? my daughter read it 3 years ago as a class assignment... it was a big deal here, that's why they made a movie out of it!

Wouldn't know....have no idea what is popular with kids nowadays and I don't watch a lot of tv.
  • guitar59guitar59 Posts: 1,221
    Loved the books!
    My 13 yr old read the books and saw the movie. He loved both and thought the movie was fairly true to the books. I will probably wait to see the movie, at least until the screamers, shriekers and team supporters leave the theaters. I look forward to seeing Woody Harrelson playing Haymitch. I think the casting could be great. I am sure the movie will disappoint a little, as I do not think the books were a PG14 series...Kids killed kids quite violently in the books...how do you skip this in the movie?
  • dougfloyddougfloyd Posts: 2,580
    Headed off to the movie theater to go see this now, hope it doesn't disappoint!
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2011 - EV solo St Louis, PJ20 Alpine Valley
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2013 - Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincy, St Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Lexington, Wrigley
    2018 - Wrigley
    2022 - Nashville, St Louis
    2024 - Noblesville, Wrigley
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    sooo ... what did everyone think of the movie!??

i thought it was as good as can be expected ... there were a few "groan" type moments where they failed miserably ... but at the same time when i read the books - i felt it would be a really hard book to adapt for film as so much of it is based on katniss' thoughts which you can't really put on film ...
  • dougfloyddougfloyd Posts: 2,580
    polaris_x wrote:
    sooo ... what did everyone think of the movie!??

i thought it was as good as can be expected ... there were a few "groan" type moments where they failed miserably ... but at the same time when i read the books - i felt it would be a really hard book to adapt for film as so much of it is based on katniss' thoughts which you can't really put on film ...

My thoughts were pretty similar. I thought they did a really good job translating it from the book, considering that I knew there were things that would have to be left out or don't really get captured unless you do like voice overs or something. I rolled my eyes a few times at some of the cheesy special effects but that's just me. I guess going into it I wasn't expecting the greatest movie ever so I didn't leave the theater disappointed.
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2011 - EV solo St Louis, PJ20 Alpine Valley
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2013 - Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincy, St Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Lexington, Wrigley
    2018 - Wrigley
    2022 - Nashville, St Louis
    2024 - Noblesville, Wrigley
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    I thought they did a decent job of translating it into a movie. only thing I did not like in the movie was the shaky-cam. I cannot stand movies that do that, I cannot see what is going on and I am too distracted by it.

hold the f*#king camera still!!
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    I thought they did a decent job of translating it into a movie. only thing I did not like in the movie was the shaky-cam. I cannot stand movies that do that, I cannot see what is going on and I am too distracted by it.

I've never seen a movie that was shaky, not happy about that.

Going to take my kids next week to see it ....
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    Read the book in a round trip of flights... My son asked me to read before we saw the movie...

It was the first series he completed...

I thought it did a good job following the book... obviously could not do everything.
    He loved it... I liked it.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    Just came back from watching the movie. I haven't read any of the books, but I really enjoyed the film. I agree about the shaky cam..it made things look like a quick blur at times. It may have been to try to "hide" some of the violence. Other than that it was pretty good...Looking forward to the next one!
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I love the hand held shakey cam effect.

It gives it a more live action type feel. I can see how others could not enjoy it though
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:
    I love the hand held shakey cam effect.

It gives it a more live action type feel. I can see how others could not enjoy it though

I finally saw the movie and I did feel a little sick with the shakey cam - but I agree about the live aciton feeling I got from it.
    ********************************************************************************************* image
    Took my kids yesterday to watch The Hunger Games. We did enjoy the movie....
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    saw the movie tonight.....

defiantly for the girls

definatly for teens

guess that is why......

i thought it was meh.
    :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    mikalina wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

I've never seen a movie that was shaky, not happy about that.

Going to take my kids next week to see it ....

Rent the Blair Witch Project if you want to see a shaky camera...

I will see the Hunger Games when it comes out on-demand. Waiting for my son to finish the 3rd book so I can start it.