The Hunger Games....

SawyerSawyer Posts: 2,411
edited April 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
....what an incredible trilogy these novels were.......this will most likely be the next Twilight but I am hooked. Read these NOW
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    These books are amazing. I got the first one for my daughter (age 13), she read it in a day, gave it to me and said, "Mom, this is incredible." And she was right.

It's a great great series and kind of un-Twilight, which I like. Is Katniss kickass or what?

Sawyer is 100% right - get these books NOW.
  • NarcisoNarciso Posts: 194
    Slipped on a curb in the road.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I am thinking about reading this, but it sounds EXACTLY like the book/movie Battle Royale.

Anyone read Hunger Games and seen the movie/book Battle Royale care to compare/contrast without giving up spoilers?
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    I have read The Hunger Games and seen Battle Royal. There are a lot of similarities, but I would say The Hunger Games is much better. Battle Royal is so vague with it's story line. There isn't much of a back story or any reasoning to it at all.
    Narciso wrote:
    I have read The Hunger Games and seen Battle Royal. There are a lot of similarities, but I would say The Hunger Games is much better. Battle Royal is so vague with it's story line. There isn't much of a back story or any reasoning to it at all.
    Thanks! I started reading it some yesterday. Just read teh first two chapters. We'll see where it goes
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • thanks for the recommendation. I'm almost done with the first book and I started it about 36 hours ago.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    i took these books on a kayaking trip last week ... we finished the last book last nite at home ... the first book really hooks you in ... overall, decent read but not even close to LOTR in terms of a trilogy in my opinion ...
    True. It isn't as boring as LOTR.
    Narciso wrote:
    :?
    To each their own

In my opinion if LOTR is a 10 on a scale from 1-10 Hunger games is about a 5. A decent little book that was fun but just not on the same level.

I will say i have seen the teaser trailer and the first trailer and i think the movie is going to be fun.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:
    Narciso wrote:
    To each their own

In my opinion if LOTR is a 10 on a scale from 1-10 Hunger games is about a 5. A decent little book that was fun but just not on the same level.

I will say i have seen the teaser trailer and the first trailer and i think the movie is going to be fun.

as far as fantasy-fiction goes ... i doubt there will be another book to film series that was as good as LOTR ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    intodeep wrote:
    Narciso wrote:
    To each their own

as far as fantasy-fiction goes ... i doubt there will be another book to film series that was as good as LOTR ...
    Game of Thrones to TV is pretty damn good.

But yeah you are probably right.
    I found out this weekend the hobbit is giong to be done in 3d..... fail :( i hate 3d movies
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    I'm not trying to compare LOTR and The Hunger Games. Just joking, although I do think LOTR is a bit long winded. The movies are really fantastic. Has anyone read The Sparrow? I fucking love that book.
    Also, 3D blows donkey ass.
  • LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    intodeep wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:
    intodeep wrote:
    To each their own

Game of Thrones to TV is pretty damn good.

But yeah you are probably right.
    I found out this weekend the hobbit is giong to be done in 3d..... fail :( i hate 3d movies

Game of thrones to tv was good. I do love LOTR as well but, agree, it was a bit long winded in parts. I have been debating on reading the hunger games. Just finished the last GOT and wanted to get into something else. Good to see more recommendations. I think the books are only about $4 on the nook. I think I'll go buy the first one now.....
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
    Well I bought the first one a couple months back for $4 or so on the nook and just wound up reading it last week. I'm in the middle of the second book now. Sad that now they're so popular they're more like $9 on the nook. Oh well. Good books so far. Nowhere near LOTR or GoT. I loved both of those both in the books and their movie form. But, this is a good, addicting trilogy. I will read it til the end and can't wait to see it translated on screen.

I just watched the trailer. Weird casting. Woody Harrelson as haymitch???? Odd. I pictured him sort of older and fatter. Lenny Kravitz as Cinna? I'm not sure what in the world they were thinking when they cast this movie but, I'm still interested. Has anyone else watched the trailer?

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

i saw the trailer and thought it looked pretty cool.

Woody has Haymitch worked prefect for me, but Kravitz as Cinna seemed odd to me at first but i've grown to like the idea of it now.

I'm excited to see the movie come out
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    ya ... i'm ok with the casting so far ... my biggest fear is that the chemistry is not going to be there or the performances necessary to pull this off ...
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    Okay, you guys sold me.

Adding this trilogy to my shopping list for tomorrow.

Thanks!

:D
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
    Okay, you guys sold me.

Adding this trilogy to my shopping list for tomorrow.

Thanks!

:D

I hesitated for a long time. Now? I can't put the books down!

• memememe Posts: 4,695
    My 11 year old gave it to my husband for Christmas. Since my husband is blind, the idea was that I was going to read it to him, so the kiddo killed two birds with one stone.

I was ready to put the book down when the idea of the games was explained early on, but I ended up loving the first two books. We just gobbled down Catching Fire as a family. I think the author does a great job of educating the youngsters about the horrors of war and of extreme competition in general. A very powerful commentary on our society: "how is it possible that people who are so full and have so much of everything can tolerate millions dying because they don't have enough?" Well, look around.

I had seen the casting early on, and before I even started reading about Cinna, it had Kravitz's face for me.

I can't compare it to LOR, or Harry Potter because I haven't read either. I am usually not really drawn to this kind of literature, but as a 40 year old political philosopher, who has read A LOT of books. I can say HG and CF are among the best books I have ever read. I have laughed, I have sobbed, and I have talked about them endlessly. In fact, I am going to sneak in a couple of references to it when I discuss the state of nature :)
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
    meme wrote:
    My 11 year old gave it to my husband for Christmas. Since my husband is blind, the idea was that I was going to read it to him, so the kiddo killed two birds with one stone.

I was ready to put the book down when the idea of the games was explained early on, but I ended up loving the first two books. We just gobbled down Catching Fire as a family. I think the author does a great job of educating the youngsters about the horrors of war and of extreme competition in general. A very powerful commentary on our society: "how is it possible that people who are so full and have so much of everything can tolerate millions dying because they don't have enough?" Well, look around.

I had seen the casting early on, and before I even started reading about Cinna, it had Kravitz's face for me.

I can't compare it to LOR, or Harry Potter because I haven't read either. I am usually not really drawn to this kind of literature, but as a 40 year old political philosopher, who has read A LOT of books. I can say HG and CF are among the best books I have ever read. I have laughed, I have sobbed, and I have talked about them endlessly. In fact, I am going to sneak in a couple of references to it when I discuss the state of nature :)

If you liked them that much then I would highly recommend both Lotr and harry potter...and if you haven't read the song of ice and fire series, that as well. That has some fantastical ideas but it's also very realistic in humanity and society.

meme wrote:

it is a great book to read as a group ... i brought the trilogy on a kayaking trip this summer and having someone read while others were cooking or setting up gear was awesome ...
  • I read all 3 and really liked them. Definitely am excited for the movie!!
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    My wife has been reading these books. She hasn't done the laundry in 3 weeks
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    Anyone here read the Long Walk by Richard Bachman (Stephen King)? The premise to these books sounds very familiar.
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • guitar59guitar59 Posts: 1,221
    http://hungergamesmovie.org/category/hu ... s-trailer/

Think I will take my 13 year old. I don't remember which one of us read the books first, but we both loved them.
  • memememe Posts: 4,695
    polaris_x wrote:
    meme wrote:

it is a great book to read as a group ... i brought the trilogy on a kayaking trip this summer and having someone read while others were cooking or setting up gear was awesome ...

I feel so bad that I finished the Mockingjay on my own. But the books are so good that I will be happy to read them again :D. I will give LOTR a try as well.
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
    meme wrote:
    I feel so bad that I finished the Mockingjay on my own. But the books are so good that I will be happy to read them again :D. I will give LOTR a try as well.

i'm reading Game of Thrones (on book 2 now) ... couldn't wait for the library as I was 123 out of 127 on the waiting list ... :lol: ... so, just bought them ...

for LOTR - i would recommend reading the hobbit first ... its a short read ... then, be prepared for the first third of Fellowship of the Ring ... it's brutal ... but once you get passed that - it's pretty good ...
  • dougfloyddougfloyd Posts: 2,580
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Anyone here read the Long Walk by Richard Bachman (Stephen King)? The premise to these books sounds very familiar.

Yes, Stephen King fan here and it has some similar concepts to it. My wife wants me to go see the first Hunger Games movie with here in a couple weeks so she asked me to read the first book. That was a week and a half ago and I've already finished all 3 books! They are pretty good, very fast reads but the writing style wasn't my favorite (kind of felt like just constantly one thing happening after another without much back story). Wasn't thrilled with how the last book ended either but now I'm looking forward to seeing the movie. And now my wife is reading the Long Walk.
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2011 - EV solo St Louis, PJ20 Alpine Valley
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2013 - Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincy, St Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Lexington, Wrigley
    2018 - Wrigley
    2022 - Nashville, St Louis
    2024 - Noblesville, Wrigley
    http://www.toronto.com/article/716981-- ... ews-are-in

early reviews are very positive but frig ... it was the world premiere and you are talking die hard fans ...