* * * * The National Football League - 2011 * * * *

Comments

• polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Heisenberg wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:
    the denver broncos got home field advantage in the first rd of this year's playoffs despite having a scoring defecit of -81 pts ...

I don't think it was the home field advantage that cost the Steelers the game. I think it had something to do with the fact that Demaryus Thomas blew by the entire secondary on the first play of OT and that the "steel curtain" couldn't stop a QB with the precision and accuracy of a high school quarterback. Besides, Steeler fans love to brag about how they "travel better than any team in the league" so really Steeler fans, stop whining about your "disadvantages". For once even getting the calls didn't bail you out.

it's definitely not the reason why the steelers lost ... i'm not a steelers fan by any stretch ... it's merely the context by which the larger discussion was framed ...

having said that - i think the steelers would win that game at home ...
  • Jason P wrote:
    I say each division champ gets a playoff spot but then seeding is based on your record.

Ta-da! :angel:

That would be the logical move.
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Heisenberg wrote:
    awww...poor Pittsburgh. They had to play at Denver when they had a better record. They had a QB with a bum ankle that miraculously only seemed to hurt when the cameras were on him. They didn't have their starting RB, they forgot to play defense on the first play of overtime....WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

Suck it up Pittsburgh. Despite the refs best attempt at keeping you in the game (that bullshit quick whistle on what was clearly a backward pass) you're still going home early. But look on the bright side, now Big Ben has an extra few weeks to molest unsuspecting college girls so it's not all bad news.
    :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :clap::clap::clap::clap:
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    OSHKOSH, Wis. -- Green Bay Packers offensive coordinator Joe Philbin's son is missing.

Police in Oshkosh say 21-year-old Michael T. Philbin of Ripon was last heard from around 2 a.m. Sunday. He had been visiting friends in Oshkosh that evening. He was reported missing on Sunday evening.

A police spokesman did not immediately return a message left Monday seeking additional comment.

A Brown County judge sentenced Michael Philbin to six months in jail in 2009 after he was convicted of sexually assaulting two young girls and two counts of battery.

His disappearance comes as the Packers prepare to face the New York Giants in an NFC playoff game Sunday in Green Bay.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,875
    Heisenberg wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:
    the denver broncos got home field advantage in the first rd of this year's playoffs despite having a scoring defecit of -81 pts ...

I don't think it was the home field advantage that cost the Steelers the game. I think it had something to do with the fact that Demaryus Thomas blew by the entire secondary on the first play of OT and that the "steel curtain" couldn't stop a QB with the precision and accuracy of a high school quarterback. Besides, Steeler fans love to brag about how they "travel better than any team in the league" so really Steeler fans, stop whining about your "disadvantages". For once even getting the calls didn't bail you out.
    Tell the truth Heis. You're just pissed that the browns were th eonly nonplayoff AFC North team!!! :mrgreen:

I look forward to the groth the brownies will most ceratinly experience. Now if the Bengals can build on their success this year ,we will have the best division in football , bar none.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 4,957
    mickeyrat wrote:

Tell the truth Heis. You're just pissed that the browns were th eonly nonplayoff AFC North team!!! :mrgreen:

I look forward to the groth the brownies will most ceratinly experience. Now if the Bengals can build on their success this year ,we will have the best division in football , bar none.

No comment :D

and growth in Cleveland? Did Big Ben slip you some roofies Mickey? We don't grow in Cleveland, we stagnate in suckitude. It's the only thing we are good at.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    The Fixer wrote:
    OSHKOSH, Wis. -- Green Bay Packers offensive coordinator Joe Philbin's son is missing.

Police in Oshkosh say 21-year-old Michael T. Philbin of Ripon was last heard from around 2 a.m. Sunday. He had been visiting friends in Oshkosh that evening. He was reported missing on Sunday evening.

A police spokesman did not immediately return a message left Monday seeking additional comment.

A Brown County judge sentenced Michael Philbin to six months in jail in 2009 after he was convicted of sexually assaulting two young girls and two counts of battery.

His disappearance comes as the Packers prepare to face the New York Giants in an NFC playoff game Sunday in Green Bay.

he died

https://twitter.com/#!/jasonjwilde/stat ... 4680815616
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,875
    Heisenberg wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:

No comment :D

and growth in Cleveland? Did Big Ben slip you some roofies Mickey? We don't grow in Cleveland, we stagnate in suckitude. It's the only thing we are good at.
    hahahha. no , no roofies. I'm just optimistic. Cleveland CANT suck the knowledge out your GM/VP can they? I personally think, once you guys get over the hump, you're there. And you guys ARE right there near the top of the hump. Just a little more oomph, then top to bottom we have THE division in the NFL.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    anyone else find the josh mcdaniels storyline pretty entertaining?

guy's on his 3rd team in about 1 year.

from coach of the broncos and drafting tim tebow
    to rams offensive coordinator
    to ne's offensive assistant (soon to be coordinator) and running the scout to team in preparation to face tim tebow.

that's pretty crazy.

also will be pretty crazy if the pats don't win by 2 touchdowns...
    www.myspace.com
    norm wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

he died

https://twitter.com/#!/jasonjwilde/stat ... 4680815616

yeah, just saw that. sounds like the dude had his share of issues
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488

to ne's offensive assistant (soon to be coordinator) and running the scout to team in preparation to face tim tebow.

that's pretty crazy..

As I stated in the Tebow thread ...
    jimed14 wrote:
    Has no one mentioned what a freakin' beast Demaryius Thomas is?

I'm convinced that Belichick hired Josh McDaniels back as he's the guy who drafted both Tebow and Thomas .... Belichick will use McDaniels knowledge of these two in order to beat the Broncos ... then, fire McDaniels in the offseason.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    jimed14 wrote:

that's pretty crazy..

As I stated in the Tebow thread ...
    jimed14 wrote:
    Has no one mentioned what a freakin' beast Demaryius Thomas is?

I'm convinced that Belichick hired Josh McDaniels back as he's the guy who drafted both Tebow and Thomas .... Belichick will use McDaniels knowledge of these two in order to beat the Broncos ... then, fire McDaniels in the offseason.

belichick's a genius. that son of a bitch.

watch that happen and mcdaniels go on to a head coaching gig next year :lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • cowboypjfancowboypjfan Posts: 2,453
    So Gruden is staying in Cincy. It's going to be really interesting to see Dalton and Green grow. Bengals can be good for a few years!
  • Watching the NFC Championship game between the 49ers and the Cowboys from 1982. The players wore some big honkin shoulder pads back then. Just saw the kicker for the 49ers punt the ball with his bare foot!
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    Watching the NFC Championship game between the 49ers and the Cowboys from 1982. The players wore some big honkin shoulder pads back then. Just saw the kicker for the 49ers punt the ball with his bare foot!

Yeah, you rarely see barefoot kickers anymore. I can't remember seeing one since the 80's. I remember the Broncos had a kicker or a punter who kicked barefoot, didn't matter if it was cold as hell and snowing (as is prone to happen in Denver) he'd still be out there barefoot. I think the shoes kickers use have really improved in recent years and kicking barefoot has become outdated and impractical. But I could be wrong.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Watching the NFC Championship game between the 49ers and the Cowboys from 1982. The players wore some big honkin shoulder pads back then. Just saw the kicker for the 49ers punt the ball with his bare foot!

Yeah, you rarely see barefoot kickers anymore. I can't remember seeing one since the 80's. I remember the Broncos had a kicker or a punter who kicked
    barefoot, didn't matter if it was cold as hell and snowing (as is prone to happen in Denver) he'd still be out there barefoot. I think the shoes kickers use have really improved in recent years and kicking
    barefoot has become outdated and impractical. But I could be wrong.

Yeah I haven't seen a barefoot kicker in a long time; probably since the 80's or early 90's. Kind of like hockey players without helmets I guess- you don't really see it anymore. It can't feel too good kicking barefoot as it is, but in the cold? Ouch!
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    Yeah I haven't seen a barefoot kicker in a long time; probably since the 80's or early 90's. Kind of like hockey players without helmets I guess- you don't really see it anymore. It can't feel too good kicking barefoot as it is, but in the cold? Ouch!

Well, NHL players have to wear helmets now, I don't think the NFL banned barefoot kicking. I think it just died out. I was reading a few reasons why on a site. One says a big reason are the K-Balls used on kicking plays. I'm not sure when they started doing that, but it's a brand new ball that's not worn in used for kicking plays. They are harder and more painful on a bare foot. Another reason is the improvement of soccer shoes in the years since the 80's.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Yeah I haven't seen a barefoot kicker in a long time; probably since the 80's or early 90's. Kind of like hockey players without helmets I guess- you don't really see it anymore. It can't feel too good kicking barefoot as it is, but in the cold? Ouch!

Well, NHL players have to wear helmets now, I don't think the NFL banned barefoot kicking. I think it just died out. I was reading a few reasons why on a site. One says a big reason are the K-Balls used on kicking plays. I'm not sure when they started doing that, but it's a brand new ball that's not worn in used for kicking plays. They are harder and more painful on a bare foot. Another reason is the improvement of soccer shoes in the years since the 80's.

Yeah, not a great comparison with the hockey helmets. Just mentioning that it's one of those things in sports you don't see anymore. Interesting about k-balls, though. I found this:

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/16549598//
    tony sparano and todd haley?

:?

yeah, that's gonna work out just fine :lol:
    www.myspace.com
    they're saying this pats/broncos brady/tebow clash tomorrow night could be the highest rated nfl playoff game ever :o wouldnt' shock me.

i think the pats crush them. 2nd time around..belichek/josh mcdaniels...etc, etc etc.....

still gonna be fun to watch. a broncos win would be an upset of epic proportions. there's no doubt about that.

great weekend for football. love the divisional round...
    www.myspace.com
    cbs execs must have cum in their pants when denver won...tebow, brady, primetime game...$$$$$$
    norm wrote:
    cbs execs must have cum in their pants when denver won...tebow, brady, primetime game...$$$$$$

saturday night too.

i can't wait
    www.myspace.com
    fisher to rams
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    they're saying this pats/broncos brady/tebow clash tomorrow night could be the highest rated nfl playoff game ever :o wouldnt' shock me.

Wouldn't surprise me either ... Tebow is like the Tiger Woods of football ... so many people say they hate him, but he's putting more eyes on the sport from folks who never even considered watching.
    i think the pats crush them. 2nd time around..belichek/josh mcdaniels...etc, etc etc.....

As a Pats fan I have to remian cautious.

That said, they had the replay of the ealrier matchup this year between these two ... and aside from the initial 10 minutes where the Broncos scored a quick 17 points, the Patriots really did hammer the shit out of them, in Denver no less.

One game though, anything can happen.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • CServantCServant Posts: 1,182
    80% of the TV's turned on in Denver last weekend were watching the Broncos/Steelers game. I'm thinking it'll be even higher Saturday night as the DCO is a buzz right now. Maybe the BCS and their declining ratings can learn a thing or two from a true playoff system, it's what the fans want! Go Broncos!!!
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain

still gonna be fun to watch. a broncos win would be an upset of epic proportions. there's no doubt about that.

the afc games are going to be horrible.

high ratings don't = good (see american idot, nfl, lost, 2 and half men, etc)

the nfc games should both be awesome...esp if nyg lose :D
  • pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    The Fixer wrote:

the afc games are going to be horrible.

high ratings don't = good (see american idot, nfl, lost, 2 and half men, etc)

the nfc games should both be awesome...esp if nyg lose :D

Certainly hoping NY loses, GO PACK!!!
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
    shocked that wasn't a penalty. what a hit
    The Fixer wrote:
    shocked that wasn't a penalty with these gayrules. what a hit
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    The Fixer wrote:
    shocked that wasn't a penalty. what a hit

shocked he got up, I thought he was knocked out cold
This discussion has been closed.