NCAA College Football -

Comments

• BamaPJFanBamaPJFan Posts: 410
    The first BCS standings were released on Sunday. The top five teams in order are Bama, Florida, Oregon, Kansas State, and Notre Dame.
    United Center (Chicago): 8/24/09
    Gibson Amphitheatre (Los Angeles): 10/7/09

• pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    BamaPJFan wrote:
    The first BCS standings were released on Sunday. The top five teams in order are Bama, Florida, Oregon, Kansas State, and Notre Dame.

A long way to go, but if ND were to run the table, I don't know how they could not play for the title with the schedule they have.
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,962
    pureoc wrote:
    BamaPJFan wrote:

A long way to go, but if ND were to run the table, I don't know how they could not play for the title with the schedule they have.

If they do that I'm going to gouge my eyes out.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Go Beavers wrote:
    pureoc wrote:
    BamaPJFan wrote:

If they do that I'm going to gouge my eyes out.
    :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,672
    Just hatched a spontaneous plan with my friend to ditch our lives for a day and head down for the West Virginia vs Kansas State game.

Never been to a real college game. So pumped.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    battle of the fucked up uniforms

:corn:
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    norm wrote:
    battle of the fucked up uniforms

:corn:
    Oregon?
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    Never let it be said that Ohio State doesn't have the balls to play top tier teams.

http://www.toledoblade.com/Ohio-State/2 ... edule.html
    COLUMBUS — Ohio State is navigating a smoother-than-usual path in its pursuit of a perfect season this fall, with Purdue on Saturday the latest underdog to drift into town. The seventh-ranked Buckeyes have yet to face an opponent currently ranked in the top 25.

Times are about to change.

Ohio State is setting off on one of the boldest initiatives in the country.

With college football adopting a four-team playoff in 2014, school officials are out to ensure the Buckeyes’ schedule will never hinder their chances of competing for a national title.

Beginning in 2018, athletic director Gene Smith said he wants OSU to play all four nonconference games against schools from the six power conferences.

That year, the Buckeyes have already locked in Texas Christian of the Big 12 and Cincinnati of the Big East, and continue to work the phones.

“Hopefully we’re going to schedule one team in the top 10, two other teams we hope are going to be in the top 30 or 40, and then someone else from a [major conference],” Smith said of his new philosophy in a phone interview with The Blade.

He added: “What we’re trying to do is play your top-level BCS conferences.”

It offers a snapshot of a future that will look very different from the watered-down present.

With human polls comprising two-thirds of the Bowl Championship Series formula, schools have little incentive to schedule traditionally strong opponents. Voters often value wins over strength of schedule, which means a team that finished with one loss to a highly ranked opponent might finish behind a team that went unbeaten against a lesser schedule.

This fall, no team ranked in top 10 played more than one nonconference game against a BCS program while there were only two nonconference games between teams in the AP preseason top 20 — Alabama-Michigan and Clemson-South Carolina.

The trend swept up Ohio State, too. While the Buckeyes have aggressively sought high-profile non-conference games over the past decade — recall home-and-home sets against Texas, Southern California, Washington, and Miami — they have played at least two teams from outside the six BCS leagues every season since 1999.

This year, OSU hosted Miami of the Mid-American Conference, Central Florida and Alabama-Birmingham of Conference USA, and California of the Pac-12.

Yet the new playoff system inspired a dramatic shift in thinking. With the final four teams to be chosen by a selection committee, Smith said the Big Ten athletic directors collectively decided this summer to beef up their early schedules.

“We discussed in all likelihood the new committee that will be put in place to select the four teams would probably have a non-conference strength of schedule component,” Smith said. “We’re were not sure what it will look like, but it means that all of us need to schedule differently.”

Perhaps no school is going as far to eliminate all cupcakes as OSU. It will trade the occasional loss of a home gate — OSU nets at least $3 million in revenue per game — for the benefit of the program. Smith said his primary goal is locking in the nation’s traditional powers, then working from there. The Buckeyes last week agreed to a home-and-home series with Texas in 2022 and 2023, adding to a line of future flagship opponents that includes Virginia Tech (2014-15), Oklahoma (2016-17), and TCU (2018-19).

Smith said OSU will continue to play MAC schools, though only if other options are not available. If the quest to play four BCS non-conference teams seems to straddle the line between exciting and just plain crazy, coach Urban Meyer said he shares a “very similar” mindset with Smith.

“He’s on the same page,” Smith said. “We’ve talked about particular teams, teams we agreed fit relative to where we want to go. … We talked about where are we recruiting, where are our largest alumni bases, how often are we willing to cross the time zones, those type of things.

“He understands this is the direction we have to go.”

VANDERBILT OUT: Ohio State is suddenly searching for a new opponent next season.

Vanderbilt informed OSU this week that the school is backing out of its scheduled Aug. 31 trip to Columbus, citing complications with its Southeastern Conference schedule. As it stands for next year, the Buckeyes host Florida A&M and Buffalo while visiting California.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,931
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    These games seem to last forever now
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Justin bieber plays qb for lsu now?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

go have a boilermaker
    norm wrote:
    81 wrote:

go have a boilermaker

Solid advice.

purdue-boilermakers-mobile-wallpaper.jpg
    If you are going to review a play, how about you show me the replay instead of :fp: commercials? Thanks abc
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    You got knocked the fuck out

Nasty. Miller misses a few games
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

concussion? ribs? that was a nasty slam
    norm wrote:
    81 wrote:

Concussion is my call. Maybe ribs as well.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    norm wrote:
    81 wrote:

Concussion is my call. Maybe ribs as well.

lewis' description of what he was makes me think concussion
    That was a weak block in the back call. :fp:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    jeez purdue :fp:
    norm wrote:

Odds of Purdue winning in OT: 1 in 6.
    :shh: :wave:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,931
    81 wrote:

unreal :mrgreen:

only caught the end. Guiton looked pretty poised.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:
    81 wrote:

I like the kid. He looks like a qb when he passes.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 4,957
    81 wrote:
    imalive wrote:
    81 wrote:

I like the kid. He looks like a qb when he passes.

And so begins the "Smooth Jazz" era in CBus! That's what they've been calling Kenny G on the radio in Columbus. :lol:

20120908_jel_ab8_227.0_standard_352.0.jpg
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 4,957
    81 wrote:

No neck, no back, no knee, no concussion...how is that possible?
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Go Beavers wrote:
    norm wrote:

Odds of Purdue winning in OT: 1 in 6.
    I would have given them 1 in 10 after they decided to give State control of their destiny instead of trying to get a 1st down and win the game. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

I was listening on the radio, so I don't know for sure, but I imagine they were only rushing 3 men and playing prevent-win defense in the last minute. The Ohio State broadcast team was saying they would need a miracle ... they just needed dumb finger-crossing coaching.

:fp: :fp: :fp: