NCAA College Football -

Comments

• ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    Happy about being #6, but playing Miami in their home stadium in a bowl game is pretty ridiculous.
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    We didn't get blown off the field by an unranked team, Wobbie.  
    It is sorta like the Rose Bowl, makes sense for Big 10 and Pac12 winners to play.

Oh and last time we went to the horseshoe, we won.  ;)

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Wisconsin Miami was a must based on conference agreements with the Orange Bowl.

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    We didn't get blown off the field by an unranked team, Wobbie.  
    It is sorta like the Rose Bowl, makes sense for Big 10 and Pac12 winners to play.

Oh and last time we went to the horseshoe, we won.  ;)

your boys may prove me wrong, but I was just completely underwhelmed by the Pac 12 and the supposedly good teams (WA, USC, Stan) in it.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    If we played next week I would feel much better about it.  Having Meyer get a month to game plan against Clown Coach and his month of prep is a decided advantage to Ohio State

We have some guys who can ball...we will see how it plays out.  
  • KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    If we played next week I would feel much better about it.  Having Meyer get a month to game plan against Clown Coach and his month of prep is a decided advantage to Ohio State

Win or lose I'm going to celebrate the fact that this will be JT's last game in a Buckeye uniform.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    He was making $5.7 million a year at FSU, guaranteed thru 2024. How rich do you need to be?
    I keep hearing all this bullshit about the facilities being so much better. Of course some SECSPN analyst will say that since there so far up that conference’s ass.  FSU’s facilities are just as good. Maybe not as big, but just as good. They spent a shit ton updgrading after the championship season to make everything state-of-the-art and up to par with other big universities - because he asked for it, and the school made it happen.  FSU would’ve bent over backwards for the guy. Instead he turned his back on FSU. Didn’t even have the balls to tell his coaches and players, he let the media do it for him. This is what you hired, Texas A&M.  Like they say about women who cheat - once a cheater, always a cheater. He turned his back on us, don’t think he won’t do it to A&M if greener dollars are waived his way. 
    Looking like we might go after Willie Taggart. He’s a Florida native and pretty much put USF on the map during his time there. And he’s a Jim Harbaugh protege. I’d be happy with him.

Anyway, moving forward... Longest bowl streak in NCAA history!
    F-L-O-R-I-D-A
    S-T-A-T-E
    (what? what?)
    Florida State, Florida State, Florida State
    Wooooooo!!
    Its disgusting to me how most of the top paid public employees in the country are college coaches.
    Just shows the focus our education system has when a teacher who is responsible for the education make make 30k a year, and a coach can make 100 times that. And how many of these kids after college football are going to need an education vs getting drafted and make a living off of their football skills? Very few.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    mace1229 said:
    He was making $5.7 million a year at FSU, guaranteed thru 2024. How rich do you need to be?
    I keep hearing all this bullshit about the facilities being so much better. Of course some SECSPN analyst will say that since there so far up that conference’s ass.  FSU’s facilities are just as good. Maybe not as big, but just as good. They spent a shit ton updgrading after the championship season to make everything state-of-the-art and up to par with other big universities - because he asked for it, and the school made it happen.  FSU would’ve bent over backwards for the guy. Instead he turned his back on FSU. Didn’t even have the balls to tell his coaches and players, he let the media do it for him. This is what you hired, Texas A&M.  Like they say about women who cheat - once a cheater, always a cheater. He turned his back on us, don’t think he won’t do it to A&M if greener dollars are waived his way. 
    Looking like we might go after Willie Taggart. He’s a Florida native and pretty much put USF on the map during his time there. And he’s a Jim Harbaugh protege. I’d be happy with him.

F-L-O-R-I-D-A
    S-T-A-T-E
    (what? what?)
    Wooooooo!!
    Its disgusting to me how most of the top paid public employees in the country are college coaches.
    Just shows the focus our education system has when a teacher who is responsible for the education make make 30k a year, and a coach can make 100 times that. And how many of these kids after college football are going to need an education vs getting drafted and make a living off of their football skills? Very few.
    Amen to that!! 
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    mace1229 said:

F-L-O-R-I-D-A
    S-T-A-T-E
    (what? what?)
    Wooooooo!!
    While this is true, I also never had 100,000 people show up for my economics lectures in college. Or my business school make millions in t-shirts. While griping on their salary, the football programs also pay for most the other athletes playing sports that don't make money, as well as bring in a ton of donation money that gets allocated around the school as well. You can say the coaches are overpaid, but on the flip side I'm sure Sabans paid his dividends back to Alabama many times over. 
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    A college coach makes $75 mil but the players make dick. 
    mace1229 said:

F-L-O-R-I-D-A
    S-T-A-T-E
    (what? what?)
    Wooooooo!!
    While this is true, I also never had 100,000 people show up for my economics lectures in college. Or my business school make millions in t-shirts. While griping on their salary, the football programs also pay for most the other athletes playing sports that don't make money, as well as bring in a ton of donation money that gets allocated around the school as well. You can say the coaches are overpaid, but on the flip side I'm sure Sabans paid his dividends back to Alabama many times over. 
    I dont think the revenue the sport brings in makes any difference. 
    If the college board decided to cap coaches' salaries at 100k there'd still be kids playing football and there'd still be people going to watch.
    Most of the current coaches of big teams would probably leave, because that is 1/100 of what they currently make. But making 100k a year still puts you in probably the top 10% of public employees. There would still be plenty of qualified candidates and lots of football.
    Anyway, it just shows the focus, and part of the problem of our education system. To value sports 100 times greater than what the kids are actually going to college for (education).

• joberschlakejoberschlake Columbus, OH Posts: 1,179
    KC138045 said:

Win or lose I'm going to celebrate the fact that this will be JT's last game in a Buckeye uniform.
    Agreed, same here.  I'm looking forward to the Haskins era.

Honestly, I'm more upset that Bama got in than OSU getting left out.  Clemson would have embarassed us this year, again.
    1998: Cleveland
    2000: Cincinnati, Columbus
    2003: Cleveland, Columbus
    2004: Toledo
    2006: Cleveland, Cincinnati, Gorge Night 1
    2008: Washington D.C.
    2009: Chicago Night 1, Seattle Night 1, Philadelphia Night 3, Philadelphia Night 4
    2010: Columbus, Indianapolis, Cleveland
    2011: Detroit EV, Chicago 1 EV
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: Chicago, Pittsburgh
    2014: Cincinnati
  • KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    KC138045 said:

Agreed, same here.  I'm looking forward to the Haskins era.

Honestly, I'm more upset that Bama got in than OSU getting left out.  Clemson would have embarassed us this year, again.
    Totally agree.  I'm not even confident we can beat USC.  I'm excited for Haskins and we haven't even seen what Martell can do yet.  It will be a fun QB competition in Spring.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171

F-L-O-R-I-D-A
    S-T-A-T-E
    (what? what?)
    Wooooooo!!

$40M guaranteed vs $75M guaranteed.  I'll never fault a coach for chasing money because I know I'd do the exact same thing in my career (albeit at much, much, much smaller stakes)

And FSU doesn't have facilities like this....it has turned into an arms race with all these big time football schools to open these ridiculous football specific facilities.  Clemson just opened one this year too.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruGMZ2qj-p8
    That’s what I mean by how rich do you need to be? You and I will never know the difference between 45 and 75 million. I don’t see how one is any more life changing than the other. You’re filthy rich either way. I guess I’m just tired of greedy assholes running everything in this country and not having any loyalty to the folks that put them in the position they’re in.
    I mean, don’t get me wrong. Good for him. He grew up in a little town in WV about an hour and a half from where I live. He went thru a divorce this year and maybe needed a big change of scenery to move past that. I get that. 

I just think he could’ve handled the situation a lot better. Instead of lying to the school, the players, and his coaching staff. Mr “I see things out til the end.” Its like he just gave up after one bad season. Gave up on his players, his staff, the school, and worst of all - his own ability to overcome adversity. It’s upsetting because he just signed an extension at FSU at the end of last season. And he is a great coach. I guess I’m just getting more disgusted by the money machine that runs everything these days. College football used to be about playing your heart out to hopefully get drafted as a professional one day. It used to be about pride. It’s nothing but greed anymore.

Long gone are the days of Bobby Bowdens, Tom Osbornes, Frank Beamers, & Bear Bryants. It makes me sick.
    he was also taking shit from his fan base earlier in the year after losing his starting QB in game 1.  With his winning percentage through his career i'd imagine that had to piss him off some.  sometimes a change of scenery is good.
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    Neither team sucks, that is silly.  Bama still lands outside, I predict....

WRONG

you got it pretty much right this season though.

no way a 2 loss team was going to jump the Tide!!

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• lolobugg said:

WRONG

PLEASE beat Clempzun this year. I cannot take another year of an orange championship. 
    I'm through with screaming
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Thanks for the great years Jimbo, but go fuck yourself you chicken shit sellout! Have fun playing second & third fiddle to Saban & Malzahn every year.

$75M guaranteed over 10 years.  Wow!

• Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

F-L-O-R-I-D-A
    S-T-A-T-E
    (what? what?)
    Wooooooo!!
    If the college board decided to cap coaches' salaries at 100k there'd still be kids playing football and there'd still be people going to watch.
    Most of the current coaches of big teams would probably leave, because that is 1/100 of what they currently make. But making 100k a year still puts you in probably the top 10% of public employees. There would still be plenty of qualified candidates and lots of football.
    Anyway, it just shows the focus, and part of the problem of our education system. To value sports 100 times greater than what the kids are actually going to college for (education).

It absolutely does.  The football/basketball programs at these big schools that bring in all of this money through TV deals/attendance are what pays for all the other sports at colleges that don't bring in any revenue.  So without football/basketball, there wouldn't be field hockey, golf, tennis, etc..
    lolobugg said:

WRONG

PLEASE beat Clempzun this year. I cannot take another year of an orange championship. 

Well, I was just hoping we would get a chance.

If we can get healthy at linebacker we might have a shot.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    edited December 2017
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

F-L-O-R-I-D-A
    S-T-A-T-E
    (what? what?)
    Wooooooo!!

It absolutely does.  The football/basketball programs at these big schools that bring in all of this money through TV deals/attendance are what pays for all the other sports at colleges that don't bring in any revenue.  So without football/basketball, there wouldn't be field hockey, golf, tennis, etc..
    This is kinda true.  For every revenue school there are probably 50 who have full sports programs and don't have 1 team that makes money.  You can certainly say that revenue sports pay for better facilities, but there are tons of schools who get by with sports losing money.

The money for coaches is outrageous. 
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
    In his opening press conference, Herm Edwards doesn't appear to know that ASU's mascot is a Sun Devil.  3 - 9, here we come!
    I wonder if Herm resigns once he figures out he is coaching a bunch of heathens?

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    Jason P said:
    I wonder if Herm resigns once he figures out he is coaching a bunch of heathens?

that little guy is the only good thing about scum devils football.

sun devils baseball is a whole nuther story.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

F-L-O-R-I-D-A
    S-T-A-T-E
    (what? what?)
    Wooooooo!!

I agree, that is all true. 
    But my point is do you think students would stop playing football, people would stop watching it, and that there wouldn't be any willing coaches if they capped it at 100k, or even 250k if you felt the need to?
    You can have a reasonable cap on coaching salaries and very little would change. Students are still going to play and people are still going to watch. I just dont think the revenue justifies giving the coaches such ridiculous salaries. 
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    edited December 2017
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

F-L-O-R-I-D-A
    S-T-A-T-E
    (what? what?)
    Wooooooo!!

I agree, that is all true. 
    But my point is do you think students would stop playing football, people would stop watching it, and that there wouldn't be any willing coaches if they capped it at 100k, or even 250k if you felt the need to?
    You can have a reasonable cap on coaching salaries and very little would change. Students are still going to play and people are still going to watch. I just dont think the revenue justifies giving the coaches such ridiculous salaries. 
    as bad as the salaries are the ridiculous extensions and buyouts they put in their contracts are worse. they end up having to pay millions of dollars to fire bad coaches.  They give them extra years and money after 1 good year and/or keep adding years to these coaches deals. it's like every coach who gets fired still has 4-5 or more years on their deals because they extend them after every winning season. it makes zero sense to me to see on a coach gets extended until 2026 for example. wtf do you need to extend a coach that far out for?  all that does is hamstring schools when they want to get rid of someone.  stop giving extra unnecessarily years to coaches. it's just bad business and almost every school does it in football and basketball. 
  • Jason P said:
    In his opening press conference, Herm Edwards doesn't appear to know that ASU's mascot is a Sun Devil.  3 - 9, here we come!
    Does he have an affiliation with ASU? Otherwise I don't get the hire.

At least you still have Bobby Hurley?
    I'm through with screaming
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    I liked Herm on ESPN...for whatever that's worth.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    Jason P said:
    Does he have an affiliation with ASU? Otherwise I don't get the hire.

At least you still have Bobby Hurley?
    The AD at ASU was Herm Edwards agent.

Bobby Hurley is still ther.
    I liked Herm on ESPN...for whatever that's worth.
    i did too.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    lolobugg said:

WRONG

Amen! I don't usually care about the other SEC schools. When they play Clemson though, they're my second favorite team that week. Heck, I'd even sing that obnoxious Rocky Top if it meant Clemson loses.