How can people have 500+ friends on Facebook???

Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
edited July 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
It beggars belief.
Surely they don't know that many people?
This dude that I used to work with (the same one who was perving on my cousins by looking at their photos) adds like 7 a day and has 700+ friends.
Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,141
    I'm sure that I know 500 people.

I'm also sure that I know damn well that I don't know 500 people that I want to stay in constant contact with.

I think some people will just accept requests from anyone and they'll use the 'people you may know' feature and friend request them. I don't get it, but if it floats their boat, then whatever.
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    i have 700+ without ever really actively trying... anyone that went through college with facebook is probably in the same boat... maybe i don't keep in touch with all those people, but at some point i met each of them through a friend of a friend or something along those lines

thinking of cleaning house now that I'm done with school though... streamline it and make it work friendly :)

its a big effort to go through and delete one by one though...
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,141
    I went through college with facebook (well the last 2 years of college anyways as it launched my junior year), but I don't have anywhere close to that number. I'm barely over 100, but then again I'm selective about who I accept as a friend. If you're selective about it, it's not a pain to back through and unfriend later.
  • It all has to do with people just wanting to show how popular they are. I've gotten requests from people I didn't even know and always rejected them. Even going through college I only had like 130 "friends" and a few months ago I deleted a bunch of people I don't keep in contact with and I'm now down to 62. There's still a few people I rarely talk to but I enjoy their company. Sorry for hijacking the thread to talk about my own circumstances. :p

But yeah it's definitely just people not caring who "friends" them.
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    Some people will add you for anything... especially if you like pearl jam, i've found.
    There certainly are a lot of Eddie Vedders adding me (or at least it seems so because the ONLY picture is their profile picture and that's EV)
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    I have about 250 friends now....and possibly about 100 of them are PJ 'friends'.

I generally say no to people from school, ex-work mates etc adding me because I don't want any of them knowing what the fuck I'm doing....there's a reason why I am no longer in contact with them....but for people I don't really know like PJ friends etc who normally find me because 60 of their friends are friends with me, I don't give a shit what they know. I find it interesting looking at all their tour photos, plans etc etc too.
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • Indian SummerIndian Summer Posts: 2,296
    when you think about large high schools, and if you added everyone in your class from a big high school....there's several hundred right there. Plus most people are friends with ppl in other grades, so there's a couple more hundred. Theses ppl with 500+ "friends" really just have about 500+ acquaintances more or less. I'm sure they don't talk to these people much.
    "It's all happening"
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    I have just under 60.
    I only choose people who are real friends and family.
    Actually the reason I registered was to keep in touch with family.
    I do not have anyone from work even though one childish idiot keeps telling me all the time to join.
    She doesn't know I do have one, I lie about it.
    And I only accept people from school if I actually talked to them.
    I had one idiot request I add him, but he never bothered to communicate with me so I deleted him.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    it actually didnt take that long to trim down my numbers at all... still just under 300, but i can honestly say all of them are either family, good friends, or business-related connections

guess that makes me a big fat phony :P

• stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    500 is utterly ridiculous,some people just add everyone that requests ... I have 19,all real friends and family ... I prefer it that way.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    My roommates annoying girl friend has about 500, and NO real life friends. It's sad. When she threw her birthday party, the only person who showed was her cousin..
    I have 147 friends, half of which I'd prefer to delete.. my question is, if you delete them, will it keep suggesting you as a friend to them because you have friends in common?
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    Well mainly a lot of PJ community peeps.

549 ;)
    Brisk. wrote:
    Well mainly a lot of PJ community peeps.

549 ;)
    Thats another vow I made with facebook. When I had myspace, I had a lot of "Pearl Jam" friends. With facebook I will ONLY add people I've met and know, family, friends and coworkers. If I need to communicate with Pearl Jam peeps, thats why I have an account here..
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    I have a total of 6 friends on facebook. I personally think anyone over 7 are face book wh**es. ;)
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    People need to get over the insecurity behind caring about other people's friend lists. This comes up all the time; it's totally subjective. Some people think 7 is too many, others think 700 is no big deal. Who are you to judge the motives behind the why/who/what/where of someone else's friend list? There are a million and one reasons to add or deny someone as a fb friend...WHY do you fucking care at all??? The people whining that people have too many friends are usually the ones who are insecure about their tiny little lists ;)
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    I have over 500 friends on Facebook. It consists of people I was genuinely friends with in High School and College, current friends and family and people to network with (it is social NETWORKING). I am not a "just add anyone" person. The only people that are not people I know personally are other Doulas. Facebook has been a GREAT source of information for me with my Doula business. I have friended Doulas from across the US and we all use our FB as a way to post the latest research findings, tips of the trade, amazing birth stories etc.

Its not all bad folks.
  • IwasBit10IwasBit10 Posts: 646
    I was way up there after college, but I trimmed it down and I'm now just under 300. Great way to stay keep in touch with people, especially since my family and friends are all over the world. Plus I like creeping on people's pictures :lol:;)

My sister has over 1,600 "friends" :o
    He floated back down 'cause he wanted to share, his key to the locks on the chains he saw everywhere.
  • Nima36Nima36 Posts: 221
    No one actually has 500 Friends. As Marc Maron says 'All you need is 2, One who is the “go-to” guy, and the Second guy you go to when the "go-to" guy is tired of listening to you.

I just hate having A Facebook friend who then feels that every little thing they do is worthy of a Status Update. 'MMMMM Chicken Pot Pie with Mashed Potatoes' is not a Status Update!
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    i have 2 friends on myspace.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Nima36Nima36 Posts: 221
    I created two Profiles on Friendster and the only Friends on either profile is the othr profile of myself.
    Sad part is that I don't even really like myself.
    (it is social NETWORKING)
    exactly

and its a time waster... the more friends you have, the more stupid shit you get in your news feed... like pictures of the hot girl from HS that got incredibly fat... who doesn't enjoy that? :lol:

• LauriLauri Posts: 748
    no idea. I just broke 200 after about 2 years (granted, I was relatively late to facebook). But almost everyone I know I added when I first joined, and now it's just scattered people I meet here and there, so I don't know how people get up to those high numbers.
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    If I had a Facebook account I could alienate more people than just the limited audience here....hmmmm....
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    i have 1,115 friends in facebook..4 of them arent pj friends
    the rest are all u freaks out there.. :D
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    i have 1,115 friends in facebook..4 of them arent pj friends
    the rest are all u freaks out there.. :D

I'd say you have 4 friends too many.
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    I have no idea how many I have, I don't really go on there, but every once in a while I'll get a friend request and I either accept it or ignore it

I don't know why I bother, since I don't use it to socialize or network for that matter
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    I Love Facebook!!! keeps my wife quite for hours.
    I have no idea how many I have, I don't really go on there, but every once in a while I'll get a friend request and I either accept it or ignore it

I don't know why I bother, since I don't use it to socialize or network for that matter

Because you can't get enough but you don't want to admit it here, cause we all look down on people who spend too much time on the internet.