Options

If you met Eddie Vedder...what would you say?

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    PhishNoCPhishNoC Tennessee Posts: 325
    ladydocNYC wrote:
    PhishNoC wrote:
    I met Eddie last year after the Memphis show. We talked a bit and he was very cool.

My wife and I had just taken my parents to see him for Tulsa #1 & #2, and at the end of Tulsa night 2, my parents, being the only people in their upper 60's in the first three rows, caught his eye. He gave my mother the pick after Hard Sun and spoke to the audience a bit saying that there was the cutest couple up here. He closed the show with Dream a Little Dream, keeping eye contact with my parents the whole time.

In Memphis when I saw Ed, I told him that the couple in Tulsa was my parents and he smiled and said that they had a great energy about them. Cool experiences all around.

Spoke to Glen as well. Incredibly nice guy.

That's a really nice story. :)

Yea, really nice when meeting people in the band you love makes you love the band more after meeting them.
    Discarding all thought

PJ: 03/25/94, 08/15/00, 09/03/11, 09/04/11, 09/22/12, 09/30/12, 07/19/13, 11/15/13, 11/16/13, 10/03/14, 10/08/14, 10/14/14, 10/16/14, 10/17/14, 10/19/14, 10/20/14, 04/16/16, 04/18/16, 04/21/16, 04/26/16, 08/20/16, 08/22/16

EV: 06/20/09, 07/01/11, 11/18/12, 11/19/12, 11/21/12
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,924
    I would say "Thanks dude!" :D

And somewhere in the conversation ... "Hey Ed, if you need a marble / granite / tile job done @ the house, I'll be happy to work out a deal. Only if you play my hometown of Halifax for a few day's." :angel:

D'oh! I am slave to the power of PJ! :geek:
  • Options
    pookasnakepookasnake Posts: 161
    I'm a long time PJ fan, but new to the forum and 10c. I can't believe I didn't join sooner!! Anyway, hey everybody, and here's my story for when my best friend and I met Eddie.

Back in 1993 (still hard to believe it was 20 years ago!!), my best girlfriend Kelly and I were die hard PJ fans. We were living and going to school in Colorado, and would go out of our way to get to as many shows as our paltry high school budgets allowed. I was turning 16 that November, and PJ was playing three nights at the CU Boulder Balch Field House starting the day after my birthday. This was already shaping up to be the best bday ever, because we got tickets for all the shows (though the last show got cancelled).

The first night was AMAZING-- Urge Overkill and Mudhoney opened, and of course PJ knocked our socks off. After the show, Kel and I tried really hard to persuade the security guy guarding the backstage area to let us in to meet the band, but he wasn't down with that. One of us noticed that underneath the chair he was sitting on, there was a clipboard with a sheet of paper that showed photocopied pictures of the fronts and backs of all of the backstage passes, and what kind of access they allowed. :shock: Quickly, we conspired to *borrow* the paper the next time he got distracted... which we did, and then hightailed it out of there.

The next day, we spent HOURS at our local kinko's creating our own *all access* backstage passes for that night's show. Though we only had a black and white copy to look at, and the passes were a variety of colors, we had seen enough folks wearing them at the prior night's show and thought that we could come up with something that would pass in the low light of the theater. We laminated our creations, strung them up on lanyards and headed for the field house for show time. I will totally admit-- I was thisclose to backing out and just hitting the GA floors to have another night of surefire awesomeness, without the tremendous risk of getting caught. I was scared shitless that we would get found out and removed from the venue, which would've broken my heart. However, the possibility of getting in to talk to the band was just too great to pass up, so we took our chance, approached the security guy and with shaking hands, flashed our passes. He looked at them with a pen light, and let us in.

We were in such shock that we got in, we had no idea what to do so we just wandered around and observed for a little while. When it came time for the band to go on, we were allowed to watch the show from the stage, and in the middle of the set Eddie came over and asked us if we were having a good time. Uh, YEAH WE ARE!! Afterward, we went back to where all the other band members were hanging out for the aftershow party. This was 1993!! It was crazy. There was lots of drinking going on, and when Eddie came back he was pretty loaded (so loaded he told someone I was his wife!!). I thanked him for all that he had done and told him how much his music meant to me. He signed my shirt (well, an EV and an anarchy sign), as did Stone and Jeff, and Kelly got her set list signed. Oh and my shirt said "Eat Fish", hence the drawing that Jeff did! :mrgreen:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... b898cd09d7

It was easily one of the best nights of my life, and probably my best birthday ever.
    If I knew where it was, I would take you there....

9b62a062-ff5e-4ae3-9ff8-6d47ef18c764_zps86ddfa45.jpg
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,601
    pookasnake wrote:
    I'm a long time PJ fan, but new to the forum and 10c. I can't believe I didn't join sooner!! Anyway, hey everybody, and here's my story for when my best friend and I met Eddie.

Back in 1993 (still hard to believe it was 20 years ago!!), my best girlfriend Kelly and I were die hard PJ fans. We were living and going to school in Colorado, and would go out of our way to get to as many shows as our paltry high school budgets allowed. I was turning 16 that November, and PJ was playing three nights at the CU Boulder Balch Field House starting the day after my birthday. This was already shaping up to be the best bday ever, because we got tickets for all the shows (though the last show got cancelled).

The first night was AMAZING-- Urge Overkill and Mudhoney opened, and of course PJ knocked our socks off. After the show, Kel and I tried really hard to persuade the security guy guarding the backstage area to let us in to meet the band, but he wasn't down with that. One of us noticed that underneath the chair he was sitting on, there was a clipboard with a sheet of paper that showed photocopied pictures of the fronts and backs of all of the backstage passes, and what kind of access they allowed. :shock: Quickly, we conspired to *borrow* the paper the next time he got distracted... which we did, and then hightailed it out of there.

The next day, we spent HOURS at our local kinko's creating our own *all access* backstage passes for that night's show. Though we only had a black and white copy to look at, and the passes were a variety of colors, we had seen enough folks wearing them at the prior night's show and thought that we could come up with something that would pass in the low light of the theater. We laminated our creations, strung them up on lanyards and headed for the field house for show time. I will totally admit-- I was thisclose to backing out and just hitting the GA floors to have another night of surefire awesomeness, without the tremendous risk of getting caught. I was scared shitless that we would get found out and removed from the venue, which would've broken my heart. However, the possibility of getting in to talk to the band was just too great to pass up, so we took our chance, approached the security guy and with shaking hands, flashed our passes. He looked at them with a pen light, and let us in.

We were in such shock that we got in, we had no idea what to do so we just wandered around and observed for a little while. When it came time for the band to go on, we were allowed to watch the show from the stage, and in the middle of the set Eddie came over and asked us if we were having a good time. Uh, YEAH WE ARE!! Afterward, we went back to where all the other band members were hanging out for the aftershow party. This was 1993!! It was crazy. There was lots of drinking going on, and when Eddie came back he was pretty loaded (so loaded he told someone I was his wife!!). I thanked him for all that he had done and told him how much his music meant to me. He signed my shirt (well, an EV and an anarchy sign), as did Stone and Jeff, and Kelly got her set list signed. Oh and my shirt said "Eat Fish", hence the drawing that Jeff did! :mrgreen:

It was easily one of the best nights of my life, and probably my best birthday ever.
    That is pretty industrious of you!
    "Spent all day at Kinkos" lol. Paid off - EV said you were his wife - that is awesome.
    I love that drawing Jeff did. :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    MiiikeMiiike Posts: 436
    pookasnake wrote:

Loved reading this. I can just see the two of you . . . You guys had balls. RESPECT. :D
  • Options
    ladydocNYC wrote:
    You've read the posts from the girl a couple years ago who handed him a note before a slo show & he read it onstage that night? I was at that show. She posted on here about it afterwards.

I'm not sure Ladydoc, my memory is terrible! I've love to know what the note said though . . . :)
  • Options
    ladydocNYCladydocNYC Posts: 635
    I think this is the original thread:
    viewtopic.php?f=5&t=19885

If that doesn't work, the thread is called Eddie dedicated. Forever Young to ME, and it was August 2008. It's pretty moving, you should check it out.
  • Options
    ladydocNYC wrote:
    I think this is the original thread:
    viewtopic.php?f=5&t=19885

If that doesn't work, the thread is called Eddie dedicated. Forever Young to ME, and it was August 2008. It's pretty moving, you should check it out.

Thanks Ladydoc!!! I do actually remember reading something about this at some stage. Such a great story! And the girls sounds super lovely. Very moving :)