Perfect Summer Beer to drink while listening to PJ

Comments

• jimbojones1138jimbojones1138 Posts: 3,640
    40 of old e or colt 45 in brown paper bag... only complimented perfectly w a vanilla dutchmaster.... ;)
    it's largely due to eddie that i liked to jump off of things as a child...
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,854
    81 wrote:

but no matter what you drink, please don't drink your beer "ice cold". serving beer ice cold kills the flavors. most beers are enjoyed most when served at proper tempature which is typically "cellar" tempature. think 50F giver or take.

your results may vary

see now, except for the darker beers, It has to be ice cold for me-it may dull the flavor subtleties, but I like my sierras out of the cooler just fine!
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    sam adams summer ale
    blue point summer ale
    brooklyn brewery summer ale
    saranac summer ale
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Critter10 wrote:
    I think it has to be Yuengling lager if you're going to be listening to the Philly boots!

BUUUUZZZZZZ WRONG! only summer beer to go with the philly boots is Yards Pale Ale

http://www.yardsbrewing.com/ales_philadelphia-pale.asp
    Follow the ageless tide.
    Follow the angled light.
    Follow the strangest tribe.
  • BZBZ Posts: 45
    Bluepoint Hoptical Illusion. Delicious!
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,358
    81 wrote:
    i agree with the pislner or an ale. porter and stouts are always good, but they are more fall/winter drinks imo.

as for breweries, Bells, left hand, sierra nevada are always good choices.

sam adams is the most overated garbage on teh market, followed closely by goose island.

but no matter what you drink, please don't drink your beer "ice cold". serving beer ice cold kills the flavors. most beers are enjoyed most when served at proper tempature which is typically "cellar" tempature. think 50F giver or take.

your results may vary

despite living in chicagoland, you must not go to Goose Island Clybourn very often. They are brewing some of the best beers. Did you try the Coffee Bourbon County Stout? One of the best beers ever. The original BCS is outstanding as well. Anyhow, I think Goose gets a weird bad rap.

I agree with the temp...if it's good beer, it'll get better as it warms for a while.

Kinda surprised your dissing Goose and pimping Left hand. Only left hand I've ever liked was Milk Stout...which is delicious.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • jameslw13jameslw13 Posts: 144
    In response to shiner smokehaus... that is horrrrrible. I can drink 1 of any beer (within reason) but I ended up pouring out a 6 of this, because I normally love the shiner brews, especially shiner black, but this is like a beer with hickory smoke in it... so after you drink it is leaves your mouth with a taste of you drank that beer thru the grate on a rusty charcoal grill.

It is bad... I caution anyone else to try... please do not waste the coin
  • 81 wrote:
    i agree with the pislner or an ale. porter and stouts are always good, but they are more fall/winter drinks imo.

sam adams is the most overated garbage on teh market, followed closely by goose island.

your results may vary

despite living in chicagoland, you must not go to Goose Island Clybourn very often. They are brewing some of the best beers. Did you try the Coffee Bourbon County Stout? One of the best beers ever. The original BCS is outstanding as well. Anyhow, I think Goose gets a weird bad rap.

I agree with the temp...if it's good beer, it'll get better as it warms for a while.

Kinda surprised your dissing Goose and pimping Left hand. Only left hand I've ever liked was Milk Stout...which is delicious.

The Bourbon County Coffee Stout might be the best beer I've ever had. Looking forward to the Vanilla and Rare version in the fall. However, the best summer beer has to be Three Floyds Gumballhead!!!
  • Mad Hater IPA from new holland
    RFK 6/13/98 -Tibetan Freedom, Pittsburgh 8/25/98, Merriweather Post 9/4/00, Grand Rapids 10/03/04 - MoveOn.org, Palace of Auburn Hills 5/22/06, Grant Park 8/05/07 - Lollapalooza, Verizon Center, DC 6/22/08, Chicago 8/22/08 - EDDIE, Baltimore 6/14/09 - EDDIE, United Center 8/23/09, Verizon Wireless 5/7/10
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    81 wrote:

your results may vary

i admit, i've never been to the brew bar, or whatever it is. i've tried at least 3 of their samplings via bottles from binney's and imo, they are at the bottom end of the scale when it comes to microbrewed beer. maybe from the bar they are better.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • RFTCRFTC Posts: 723
    jameslw13 wrote:
    In response to shiner smokehaus... that is horrrrrible. I can drink 1 of any beer (within reason) but I ended up pouring out a 6 of this, because I normally love the shiner brews, especially shiner black, but this is like a beer with hickory smoke in it... so after you drink it is leaves your mouth with a taste of you drank that beer thru the grate on a rusty charcoal grill.

100% agree, living in Houston, Shiner is everywhere and generally solid beers, 'Frost' was awesome but is seasonal currently. i would throw down some Stone IPA or Boulevard Tank 7 if $ is no concern.
    San Diego Sports Arena - Oct 25, 2000
    MGM Grand - Jul 6, 2006
    Cox Arena - Jul 7, 2006
    New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival - May 1, 2010
    Alpine Valley Music Theater - Sep 3-4 2011
    Made In America, Philly - Sep 2, 2012
    EV, Houston - Nov 12-13, 2012
    Dallas-November 2013
    OKC-November 2013
    ACL 2-October 2014
    Fenway Night 1, August 2016
    Wrigley, Night 1 August 2018
    Fort Worth, Night 1 September 2023
    Fort Worth, Night 2 September 2023
    Austin, Night 1 September 2023
    Austin, Night 2 September 2023
  • Hugo ReyesHugo Reyes Posts: 244
    Harpoon Summer Ale
  • shepshep Posts: 5,765
    jameslw13 wrote:

Agree with this statement... Shiner smokehaus tastes like you just licked a dirty BBQ grill... I tried it once last summer and we wound up just tossing out most all the case of beer...

I like the shiner blonde, and the normal shiner... if you like the normal shiner, I highly recommend Zigen Bock... that is another Texas brewed beer that is delicious...

Saint Arnold's Summer Pils and Fireman's 4 is where my money is at right now though!
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Motown322Motown322 Posts: 465
    Different strokes, I guess... I think the shit tastes pretty good. Like beer and bacon. And everyone knows those are 2 of the greatest things on the planet. :D I'm all over the map, though: I'll drink and enjoy the most expensive beer-snob shit you can put in front of me, and then I can crack open a cold Keystone Light and dig that.
  • GTF13GTF13 Posts: 29
    I'm with Ryan that Victory rocks! All of them, but Golden monkey is tops. However...... I say Rogue's Dead Guy is THE best beer! Hands down. Little pricey...but worth it...
    JR - 10 Club Member 147xxx

1992-08-15, 1996-09-28, 1998-08-28, 1998-08-29, 2000-08-23, 2000-09-21, 2003-04-28, 2003-07-05, 2004-10-01, 2005-10-03, 2006-05-28, 2008-06-19, 2009-06-12 (EV solo), 2009-10-27, 2009-10-31,
    2010-05-21

More to come......
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Duvel from Belgium. Only problem it is like 8%

I wouldn't call Duvel a summer beer. Hoegaarden, on the other hand is perfect for warm days!

The Bourbon County Coffee Stout might be the best beer I've ever had. Looking forward to the Vanilla and Rare version in the fall. However, the best summer beer has to be Three Floyds Gumballhead!!!

Now this is a guy I want to drink with!!!!
    hippiemom = goodness
    Motown322 wrote:
    Different strokes, I guess... I think the shit tastes pretty good. Like beer and bacon. And everyone knows those are 2 of the greatest things on the planet. :D I'm all over the map, though: I'll drink and enjoy the most expensive beer-snob shit you can put in front of me, and then I can crack open a cold Keystone Light and dig that.

Speaking of beer and bacon...Goose Island CLybourn had a Maple Bacon Stout that was infused with bacon...and served with a piece of bacon on the glass. Beer didn't actually taste like bacon too much though, not a bad experiment though.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,854
    I dont know how you guys drink all those flavored/infused beers

just the smell of some of them makes me want to vomit
    although I would like to try some of that coconut stuff they have in Hawaii

just give me a well made all natural pale ale, ale, lager, porter or stout

Speaking of beer and bacon...Goose Island CLybourn had a Maple Bacon Stout that was infused with bacon...and served with a piece of bacon on the glass. Beer didn't actually taste like bacon too much though, not a bad experiment though.

there was an article not to long ago in one of the beer mags with a reciepe for this. seems sort of goofy, but whatever.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Every now and then i do just want a 6 pack of BUD to guzzle as quick as i can. a 6 of bud and a 6 of Magic hat #9, guzzle the bud, sip the 9.
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    There are some really tasty summer brews this year:

Alaskan Amber's Summer Ale: http://www.alaskanbeer.com/our-brew/sea ... r-ale.html

Widmer's Sunburn: http://www.widmer.com/beer_sunburn.aspx

Red Hook's Rope Swing: http://www.redhook.com/Default.aspx?p=90
  • KevinmanKevinman Posts: 1,909
    How about Guiness with a scoop of ice cream?
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side

06.27.98  Alpine Valley
    10.08.00  Alpine Valley
    09.23.02  Chicago
    06.18.03  Chicago | 06.21.03  Alpine Valley
    10.03.04  Grand Rapids
    10.05.05  Chicago
    05.16.06  Chicago | 05.17.06  Chicago | 06.29.06  Milwaukee
    08.02.07  Chicago | 08.05.07  Chicago
    08.23.09  Chicago | 08.24.09  Chicago
    05.07.10  Noblesville | 05.09.10  Cleveland
    09.03.11  Alpine Valley | 09.04.11  Alpine Valley
    07.19.13  Chicago
    10.17.14  Moline
    08.20.16  Chicago
    08.18.18  Chicago
    09.18.22  St. Louis
    09.05.23 Chicago
    KO282453 wrote:
    Every now and then i do just want a 6 pack of BUD to guzzle as quick as i can. a 6 of bud and a 6 of Magic hat #9, guzzle the bud, sip the 9.

#9 is no sipping beer. You must step up your beer game. ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
    aNiMaL wrote:

Alaskan Amber's Summer Ale: http://www.alaskanbeer.com/our-brew/sea ... r-ale.html

Widmer's Sunburn: http://www.widmer.com/beer_sunburn.aspx

Red Hook's Rope Swing: http://www.redhook.com/Default.aspx?p=90

I'll have to look for the Widmer...we get some of it around here. Just drinking some of their Drifter Pale Ale. I like it. Got it because they use Nelson Sauvin hops which is fairly new and not widley used but give the beer a cool "grape" flavor.
    hippiemom = goodness
    KO282453 wrote:

is any beer a sipping beer? :lol:

that said, i do like to take my time with beer. no need to guzzle a beer. best to let them warm up a bit and give them some time for the flavor to fully develop before enjoying them.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    aNiMaL wrote:

best when enjoyed in Alaska.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,989
    Anyone who likes to drink Bud must like to shit bricks.
    Anyone who likes to drink Bud must like to shit bricks.

i prefer miller lite for a cheap american beer, but cheap american beer can be enjoyed under the right circumstances.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    KO282453 wrote:

is any beer a sipping beer? :lol:

that said, i do like to take my time with beer. no need to guzzle a beer. best to let them warm up a bit and give them some time for the flavor to fully develop before enjoying them.

I'm just messing with ya...I agree with drinking slowly and letting them warm a bit, with most beers.

And for sure, Dogfishhead 120 minute IPA is a sipping beer...just try to guzzle that. ;)
    hippiemom = goodness