Perfect Summer Beer to drink while listening to PJ

Comments

• Given to...Given to... Posts: 4,989
    Blue Moon while listeningg to Undone...

and an Anchor Steam Porter will warm your heart.
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • ponner1usponner1us Posts: 738
    It's a very good pilsner...one of the best American versions.[/quote]

Like I said, I'm really itching to try it but I'm saving it for a special occasion(pig roast in August. What would you suggest is THE best American pilsener?
    Journey Begins: 1992-08-15, Montage Mountain Performing Arts Center,
    Scranton, Pennsylvania

Journey Ends:
  • jameslw13jameslw13 Posts: 144
    I love Blue Moons Summer Offering... Honeymoon. GREAT SUMMER BEER
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    ponner1us wrote:
    Magic Hat #9 is not a bad beer, and as a bonus, you just might get the bottlecap that reads "Nothing's better than a beer with Eddie Vedder!"

I'm hangin w/ this guy.
  • nosajh9nosajh9 Posts: 122
    north coast pranqster is my favorite summer beer
    9/22/96 Toledo, OH. 8/26/98 Cuyahoga Falls, OH. 8/21/00 Columbus, OH. 8/25/03 Cleveland, OH. 8/26/03 Pittsburgh, PA. 10/03/04 Grand Rapids, MI. 5/20/06 Cleveland, OH. 6/23/06 Pittsburgh, PA. 6/22/08 Washington, DC. 5/06/10 Columbus, OH. 5/09/10 Cleveland, OH. 10/11/13 Pittsburgh, PA.
  • Dru_CortezDru_Cortez Posts: 953
    demetrios wrote:
    KEITH'S!!!

Publicly endorsed by Mr. Vedder himself.

8-)
    +1,
    with emphasis.
    Of course,
    Kokanee is a bit more prevalent out here.
    When it comes to beer, though,
    you don't mess with the East coasters, yo!
    Cheers.
    'Cause you don't give blood and take it back again.
  • AtlantaJammerAtlantaJammer Posts: 2,611
    Anything BUT Heffes. Wheat beers are for chicks. I usually go for a good summer ale or even the occasional Corona.
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,358
    ponner1us wrote:
    It's a very good pilsner...one of the best American versions.

Like I said, I'm really itching to try it but I'm saving it for a special occasion(pig roast in August. What would you suggest is THE best American pilsener?[/quote]

Good question. Most beer snobs I know would say it is prima pils. I hadn't been into pilsners for a while but have been getting back into them. My favorite...surprisingly...is probably Sam Adams Noble Pils, but it was their spring seasonal and not available now. Actually, my overall fav was Sam Adams Imperial Pils, not avail now I don't think. I also liked 3 floyd's Jinx Proof.

Can't go wrong with Prima pils, noble pils, heck, I think Stoudts in PA makes a good one too.

As for other summer beers, I forgot a great one...Gumballhead by 3 floyds...it's a wheat but with a ton of hops.
    hippiemom = goodness
    Anything BUT Heffes. Wheat beers are for chicks. I usually go for a good summer ale or even the occasional Corona.

Funny someone calling out wheat beers for chick drinking corona. With a lime I bet. ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
    edited June 2010

Funny someone calling out wheat beers for chick drinking corona. With a lime I bet. ;)

No lime bro ;) And not Corona light (rather have a Sol but not many people know that Mexican beer) Still hafta go with a good Pale ALe.
    Post edited by AtlantaJammer on
  • he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    some beers I've been into of late: Sweetwater 420, Fat Tire, Mojo Risin IPA (this beer will put your dick in the dirt). Also, I picked up a Flying Dog variety pack the other day and was pleased with pretty much all of them. I like to hit up Total Wine and mix and match ;)
    We were but stones your light made us stars
    some beers I've been into of late: Sweetwater 420, Fat Tire, Mojo Risin IPA (this beer will put your dick in the dirt). Also, I picked up a Flying Dog variety pack the other day and was pleased with pretty much all of them. I like to hit up Total Wine and mix and match ;)

Total wine is the shit. Every beer you listed is pretty much the only beers I buy. As for the Flying Dog, most are great, I just cant get into the Tire Bitter but DoggyStyle is the shit! Cheap too.

No lime bro ;) And not Corona light (rather have a Sol but not many people know that Mexican beer) Still hafta go with a good Pale ALe.

You know, I've had Sol after a reco from some mexican friends and I wasn't impressed. As for mexican beer, for me it's mostly Negro Modelo. I did enjoy Victoria (I think?) at the Pearl Jam concerts in Mexico City, but it may have been the concert that made it taste better. ;)
    hippiemom = goodness

Yep, I like Sweetwater. I'm kinda over the Fat Tire thing...grew tired of the biscuity flavor...their summer beer, Skinny Dip, has the same flavor profile in my opinion. It's good and better than a bunch, but will only choose it over the US Macros.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Motown322Motown322 Posts: 465
    TrAvELAr wrote:
    I miss Oberon..... and partying at Bell's.... :(

Former Kalamazoo resident and/or WMU student?? I'm in Detroit so I still get Bell's, but I don't get out to the brewery more than 2-3 times a year anymore (practically lived there in college).

On topic, it's one of the following:
    Bell's Oberon
    Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy
    Shiner Smokehaus (if you can get it in your area, try it. It's a bizarre taste but it's surprisingly really good)
    ice-cold Miller Lite
  • shepshep Posts: 5,765
    KEITH'S!!!

Publicly endorsed by Mr. Vedder himself.

Ugh... gross...

I believe three nights later Eddie was in Newfoundland and threw his support behind Black Horse... a much better beer... If I remember correctly the quote was (refering to his Piot Noir), "It's not quite black horse, but it ain't that bad." :D

Anyway, if I knew where you were I'd make a better suggestion, but... If you're anywhere you can pick it up Saint Arnold's Summer Pilsner is delicious, or their Lawnmower beer... both great in the summer... Sam Adam's Summer Wheat isn't bad... and you can't go wrong with a Yeungling....

Personally I've been on a Gunniess kick lately... I'd highly recommend it. 2 glasses will give you work daily recommended Iron intake :mrgreen:
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
    You know, I've had Sol after a reco from some mexican friends and I wasn't impressed. As for mexican beer, for me it's mostly Negro Modelo. I did enjoy Victoria (I think?) at the Pearl Jam concerts in Mexico City, but it may have been the concert that made it taste better. ;)

I think I like most Mexican beer. As well as some other beers Ive had in the tropical regions (Kalik Bahamian). Just brings back great memories. Hell, Ill be in Cancun for 9 days in September. Cant Fn' wait.
  • ponner1usponner1us Posts: 738
    "My favorite...surprisingly...is probably Sam Adams Noble Pils, but it was their spring seasonal and not available now." cincybearcat

I had a few of those myself, and was pleasantly surprised, it was a very good beer. I'm guessing, and hoping, that the Victory Prima Pils is very similar yet better.
    Journey Begins: 1992-08-15, Montage Mountain Performing Arts Center,
    Scranton, Pennsylvania

Journey Ends:
  • HoosierJamHoosierJam Posts: 104
    "INSIGNIFICNACE IPA" which was bottled by me and a friend last week!!!! post picture when I get a chance.
    nothing as it seems.....
  • EvenstevenEvensteven Posts: 869
    Dogfish Head Burton Baton
    "Mark it 20, Dude."
  • ponner1us wrote:
    But I've been reading a lot of REALLY good things about Victory Prima Pils, and I'm itching to try it myself.

Try it! You'll love it! Big fan of most of victory's stuff. Prima pils my #2 choice behind the golden monkey!
    Evolution Music Studios presents:
    DO THE EVOLUTION - a 20th Anniversary Tribute Celebration
    of PEARL JAM - WORLD CAFE LIVE PHILLY JUNE 19th 7pm
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    Sam's Summer Ale of course!!!!

this
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    New Glarus ''Spotted Cow'' and Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy
  • Motown322Motown322 Posts: 465
    Ooooohhhh... I forgot about the Spotted Cow. Me and a couple buddies got turned onto that New Glarus shit on a road trip through Wisconsin last fall (stopped overnight in Madison on the way to Minneapolis for a couple ball games). Spotted Cow and Fat Squirrel were both fantastic.
  • patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    Motown322 wrote:
    Ooooohhhh... I forgot about the Spotted Cow. Me and a couple buddies got turned onto that New Glarus shit on a road trip through Wisconsin last fall (stopped overnight in Madison on the way to Minneapolis for a couple ball games). Spotted Cow and Fat Squirrel were both fantastic.

Glad you enjoyed it. :)
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i agree with the pislner or an ale. porter and stouts are always good, but they are more fall/winter drinks imo.

as for breweries, Bells, left hand, sierra nevada are always good choices.

sam adams is the most overated garbage on teh market, followed closely by goose island.

but no matter what you drink, please don't drink your beer "ice cold". serving beer ice cold kills the flavors. most beers are enjoyed most when served at proper tempature which is typically "cellar" tempature. think 50F giver or take.

your results may vary
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Antreaper wrote:
    Paulaner Hefeweizen

+1 :mrgreen:
    PJ: Hartford 6/27/08 Mansfield 6/30/08 Philly 3 Oct. 30 2009
    Philly 4 Oct. 31 2009 Hartford May 2010 Boston May 2010 MSG 1 May 2010
    EV: Albany 1 and 2 June 2009 Providence June 15 2011 Hartford June 18 2011
  • 16chez2116chez21 Posts: 94
    Lagunitas IPA or Southern Tier Hop Sun for me.
  • 16chez2116chez21 Posts: 94
    ponner1us wrote:
    But I've been reading a lot of REALLY good things about Victory Prima Pils, and I'm itching to try it myself.

Try it! You'll love it! Big fan of most of victory's stuff. Prima pils my #2 choice behind the golden monkey!

+1 on Golden Monkey