"Better Days" Appreciation Thread!

thefin190thefin190 Posts: 918
edited June 2010 in The Porch
No, don't worry, there is no link posted here. I was one of the ones that was able to download it, and wow, what a beautiful peace of art! I am willing to pay whatever $.99 it would cost ten times over. I am personally fond of the Into the Wild soundtrack, Long Road, No Code, and anything that the band has done that pushes the limits on conventional rock. And wow, its just beyond amazing, especially towards the end. Here are someone's take on the lyrics:

I feel part of the universe open up to meet me
My emotion so submerged, broken down to kneel in
Once listening, the voices they came
Had to somehow greet myself, read myself
Heard vibrations within my cells, in my cells
Singing, "Ah-la-ah-ah, ah-la-ah-ah"

My love is safe for the universe
See me now, I'm bursting
On one planet, so many turns
Different worlds
Singing, "Ah-la-ah-ah, ah-ah-ah-ah, ah"

(Spanish guitar solo)

Fill my heart with discipline
Put there for the teaching
In my head see clouds of stairs
Help me as I'm reaching
The future's paved with better days

Not running from something
I'm running towards the day
Wide awake

A whisper once quiet
Now rising to a scream
Right in me

I'm falling, free falling
Words calling me
Up off my knees

I'm soaring and, darling,
You'll be the one that I can need
Still be free

Our future's paved with better days

Just wow, probably some of the best stuff Ed's wrote in a while, and this is coming from someone that actually liked Backspacer alot. Just something about it is so deep, and yet optimistic!

I hope that with this thread, we can share the love for this beautiful song and push TC to give it the proper release that it deserves, and maybe we'll hear it live someday on a future PJ tour or EV solo tour (if he ever plays in Seattle)!
Member Number: 437xxx

Pearl Jam:
Key Arena - Seattle, WA - Sep 21, 2009
Pacific Coliseum - Vancouver, BC - Sep 25, 2011
Key Arena - Seattle, WA - Dec 6, 2013

Eddie Vedder Solo:
Benaroya Hall - Seattle, WA - Jul 15, 2011
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Citizen ZackCitizen Zack Posts: 1,763
    I really enjoyed it as well. Like many others have said, maybe it'll be on a new release - possibly something similar to Lost Dogs with newer unreleased material. Really good, different song though. I dig it.
    "Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them." - Thoreau

No time to be void, or save up on life, you've got to spend it all
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,923
    the goo goo dolls song? :?

:lol::lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Stypo420Stypo420 Posts: 519
    I really like it too starts a tad slow but by 2 min in it has me :D
  • force-10force-10 Posts: 794
    No more PJ or EV for Seattle. Last year at Vancouver he implied that the seattle crowd was a "sh!t crowd". Remember? Or was Ed just being funny? However, they were great shows. My first! And the crowd was lame, except for that 7 year old that got a pick from Ed.

Anyways, I support this thread.
    IN THE DARK, ALL CATS ARE BLACK.
  • Citizen ZackCitizen Zack Posts: 1,763
    force-10 wrote:
    No more PJ or EV for Seattle. Last year at Vancouver he implied that the seattle crowd was a "sh!t crowd". Remember? Or was Ed just being funny? However, they were great shows. My first! And the crowd was lame, except for that 7 year old that got a pick from Ed.

¿Como?
    "Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them." - Thoreau

No time to be void, or save up on life, you've got to spend it all
    I know. He does have a bad taste of humor. Remember when he makes fun of a chilean dude (from Chile) on the Showbox DVD? He says he could have some of his (eddie´s) dog´s shit as a souvenier. Incredible he said that after mentioning that someone told him someone from Chile travelled to Seattle to see them!

Listen to the Vancouver boot. He even says that he felt like that show was the "real" first of the tour. They played 2 gigs before this one at Seattle. Kind of harsh from his part.
  • imalive wrote:
    Hmm... you KNOW this is the name of a goo goo dolls song? hmmm. 8-)
  • jets521jets521 Posts: 804
    the lyrics make me think that there is no way this is a Riot Act era song.

cannot see ed singing about "Better Days" during that time period
    Wachovia Center, Philadelphia - 10/3/05
    Tweeter Center, Camden - 5/27/06
    Verizon Center, Wash. DC - 5/30/06
    Bonnaroo, Manchester, TN - 6/14/08
    Madison Square Garden, NYC - 6/19/08
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/28/09
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/30/09
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/31/09
    Madison Square Garden, NYC - 5/21/10
    Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia - 10/21/13
    1st Mariner Arena, Baltimore - 10/27/13
    Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia - 4/28/16
    Enterprise Center, Saint Louis - 9/18/22
  • LoveBoatAdmiralLoveBoatAdmiral Posts: 1,191
    Here's the link if you missed it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOp4NAq6EHI&feature=related

If that one doesn't work, try this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKxXHEx-XnU&feature=related

IBTL :lol:
    2006- Boston I
    2008- Boston I+II
    2009- Toronto, Philly III+IV
    2010- Bristow, Hartford, Boston, Newark
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    force-10 wrote:
    I know. He does have a bad taste of humor. Remember when he makes fun of a chilean dude (from Chile) on the Showbox DVD? He says he could have some of his (eddie´s) dog´s shit as a souvenier. Incredible he said that after mentioning that someone told him someone from Chile travelled to Seattle to see them!

Listen to the Vancouver boot. He even says that he felt like that show was the "real" first of the tour. They played 2 gigs before this one at Seattle. Kind of harsh from his part.

what the hell does this have to do with anything?
    www.myspace.com
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    thefin190 wrote:
    No, don't worry, there is no link posted here. I was one of the ones that was able to download it, and wow, what a beautiful peace of art! I am willing to pay whatever $.99 it would cost ten times over. I am personally fond of the Into the Wild soundtrack, Long Road, No Code, and anything that the band has done that pushes the limits on conventional rock. And wow, its just beyond amazing, especially towards the end. )!

totally agree. kinda feels like jack irons is reincarnated on drums or something. i really wish they continued pushing the limits in this way like they were in the mid to late nineties...then jack left. :x

fucking love this tune though
    www.myspace.com
  • LoveBoatAdmiralLoveBoatAdmiral Posts: 1,191
    force-10 wrote:

I know, so I told him, "gimme back the sweatshirt. I mean it, I want it back. It was my father's and I don't think he'd want you masquerading around the pier like some sort of Spanish bootmaker with it on." Can you believe the nerve of some people?
    2006- Boston I
    2008- Boston I+II
    2009- Toronto, Philly III+IV
    2010- Bristow, Hartford, Boston, Newark
  • E.KE.K Posts: 7,707
    imalive wrote:

I thought it was going to be a cover of the song by Aussie singer, Pete Murray ;)

So that's three songs we know of called Better Days. :lol:
    Sydney, Australia - March 12, 1998; Sydney, Australia - February 14, 2003; Sydney, Australia - November 8, 2006; Sydney, Australia - November 25, 2006;  Brisbane, Australia - November, 2009; Gold Coast, Australia - January, 2014

force-10 wrote:

Absolutely nothing relevant. Just read the end of the OP.
    E.K wrote:
    I thought it was going to be a cover of the song by Aussie singer, Pete Murray ;)

So that's three songs we know of called Better Days. :lol:

Yesterday, I thought it was the first song of the boss´lucky town album.
  • thefin190thefin190 Posts: 918
    force-10 wrote:

Yea, I think he was fucking around to rile up the crowd. He and the band was probably aware that a good number of people in the crowd drove up from Seattle.

I did also forget to say, that the song reminds me of Who You Are (probably the most underrated PJ song). Very optimistic in that sense.
    Member Number: 437xxx

Pearl Jam:
    Key Arena - Seattle, WA - Sep 21, 2009
    Pacific Coliseum - Vancouver, BC - Sep 25, 2011
    Key Arena - Seattle, WA - Dec 6, 2013

Eddie Vedder Solo:
    Benaroya Hall - Seattle, WA - Jul 15, 2011
  • geckogecko Posts: 1,712
    (Oh, I love Who Are You.)

BD started like Bugs, and, just when you think it is a bore, it got mandolin, little bit of ITW, then Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Who Are You, Eastern influences, then troubadour aahahaaa, then Africa with drums, and who knows what else, and then just left the Earth. And Ed's singing, man. He just killed this one. Background vocals are beautiful, too.

Love the song. Beautiful mandolin solo, simple, hypnotic melody and rhythm, soaring voice, uplifting lyrics, depth. I hope this is a sign of band playing back in 3D, as someone said on another forum.
  • stardust1976stardust1976 Posts: 1,301
    I listened to it......really really liked it instantly. Said so to the person I was listening to it with.....

Instantly evoked an Into The Wild feel, which I love. But I really enjoyed hearing this song, and I really hope it gets released at some point. Very impressed personally, I loved Backspacer, but this is better than anything on it. Just my opinion of course! :)
  • lbc72lbc72 Posts: 35
    I like this tune too. Will say I think I all but confirmed in my mind that it is a recent recording. He sings "My love is safe" which is very similar to Force of nature's "Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?" Not to mention all the high pitched "he"s give a undeniable post ITW feel. Good stuff in my book. Anything extra from here is a bonus. Hold on let's check in with Nirvana fans and see how they like Nirvana's new internet leaked song....yeah not too much going on there. Not poking fun, just saying we are fotunate we get new music. Keep it coming Ed. I'm listening :-)
  • LaddieLaddie Posts: 311
    Its nice, but it could use more autotune.
  • masciamascia Posts: 20
    I like it very much and I'm 99% that it was recorded recently. Hope they release it soon.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    A new Pearl Jam hymn for my Pearl Jam religion that lives in my heart
    "my love is saved for the universe"
    It is a beautiful song with a lovely hopeful message..."in my head see clouds of stairs"
    "The future's paved with better days"
    "Be free"
  • Vedder_Girl77Vedder_Girl77 Posts: 4,335
    I love it!!! I hope it gets officially released soon!! :)
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
  • Rossum20Rossum20 Posts: 910
    This could have had the same role as Hard Sun did in ITW. I like it a lot.
  • tubes10stubes10s Posts: 528
    nevermind :)
    8-31-98 - Raleigh
    8-3-00 - Virginia Beach
    4-16-03 - Charlotte
    5-27-06 - Camden 1
    5-28-06 - Camden 2
    5-30-06 - DC
    6-17-08 - Virginia Beach
    6-22-08 - DC
    5-13-10 - Bristow
    10-27-13 - Baltimore
    10-29-13 - Charlottesville
    4-18-16 - Hampton
  • GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    it was on youtube. now it' gone, and I am sad :cry:
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • geckogecko Posts: 1,712
    Rossum20 wrote:
    This could have had the same role as Hard Sun did in ITW. I like it a lot.

That's what I think, too. How pretty that soundtrack would be. Hard Sun sticks like sore thumb to me.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    love this tune ... :)
  • MR61496MR61496 Posts: 16
    Great song. Great message. Thank you.
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    The thing I love most about this song is that if I wake up with it in my head for the day, ( :D ) it's a very positive message to hear.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • veddertownveddertown Posts: 5,260
    First I heard I'm totally like.. :| .. then next time I'm kinda.. :? ..and after that it was more sorta.. :) .. but having heard it more I'm just totally like .. :D .. and a bit like.. :mrgreen:
    I
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12