Stephen Strasburg

Comments

• RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    KO282453 wrote:
    Me think he would look good in Pinstripes.
    I've always thought that Yankees/Sawx fans should find good players on other teams and get jersey's made with said player in their uni. Like the Sox are likely to take Prince Fielder from the Brewers next year so their fans should buy the jersey now just to taunt us. A Yankee Strasburg uni, even if premature, would be funny as hell.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    RW81233 wrote:
    KO282453 wrote:
    I've always thought that Yankees/Sawx fans should find good players on other teams and get jersey's made with said player in their uni. Like the Sox are likely to take Prince Fielder from the Brewers next year so their fans should buy the jersey now just to taunt us. A Yankee Strasburg uni, even if premature, would be funny as hell.

hehehe, i could've gotten a Griffey one made up back in the early 90's, i was sure he'd be a Yankee someday :cry:. Instead we get freakin A-Roid....great.
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    KO282453 wrote:
    RW81233 wrote:
    KO282453 wrote:

hehehe, i could've gotten a Griffey one made up back in the early 90's, i was sure he'd be a Yankee someday :cry:. Instead we get freakin A-Roid....great.

You don't like A-Rod?
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    KO282453 wrote:

give it time...
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,741
    KO282453 wrote:
    RW81233 wrote:
    KO282453 wrote:

You mean this guy?

alg_arod_rbi_double.jpg

or this guy?

yankees1--300x300.jpg

Or this guy?

100909-Alexs-tater.jpg
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    RW81233 wrote:
    It was a pretty sweet performance, but I heard Cowherd say that no other pitcher has (or will have) filled the stands like Strasburg. Ummm, and I know we have some Sox fans on here, but I distinctly remember going to Pedro games just b/c he was pitching and the people were always there to see him. Usually when the home team is up people sit and watch, and when they pitch they piss, get a beer, hot dog, or whatever. When Pedro was pitching in Fenway Park it was the other way around.

When Strasburg has a game against the equivalent of Roger Clemens in May, and everyone that cares a little about baseball stops what they are doing to watch it. Then he matches 0 for 0 with said pitcher (maybe a Johan Santana/Roy Halladay type) and wins the game on a complete game shutout (or something similar) I will admit that he has reached that level of stardom. Until then Pedro '97-'01 will always be the king. Still last night was fun.

Well let's face it the kid is young and appear to have a long bright future ahead. On Sports Talk radio here in DC they said before the game usually the pitcher, catcher and pitching coach go over plans on pitching to each batter. They skipped ALL of those scripted plans and the kid just went out and pitched. I'm sure on the second and there time around Strasburg and the team will also make ajustments as this kid learns his way around the league.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

g under p wrote:
    RW81233 wrote:
    It was a pretty sweet performance, but I heard Cowherd say that no other pitcher has (or will have) filled the stands like Strasburg. Ummm, and I know we have some Sox fans on here, but I distinctly remember going to Pedro games just b/c he was pitching and the people were always there to see him. Usually when the home team is up people sit and watch, and when they pitch they piss, get a beer, hot dog, or whatever. When Pedro was pitching in Fenway Park it was the other way around.

When Strasburg has a game against the equivalent of Roger Clemens in May, and everyone that cares a little about baseball stops what they are doing to watch it. Then he matches 0 for 0 with said pitcher (maybe a Johan Santana/Roy Halladay type) and wins the game on a complete game shutout (or something similar) I will admit that he has reached that level of stardom. Until then Pedro '97-'01 will always be the king. Still last night was fun.

Well let's face it the kid is young and appear to have a long bright future ahead. On Sports Talk radio here in DC they said before the game usually the pitcher, catcher and pitching coach go over plans on pitching to each batter. They skipped ALL of those scripted plans and the kid just went out and pitched. I'm sure on the second and there time around Strasburg and the team will also make ajustments as this kid learns his way around the league.

Peace
    oh for sure and it's cool to have a potentially dominant power pitcher in the big league's again, but to say that he (will) fills the stadium unlike no other pitcher before him is to deny a history that happened only a decade ago.
    RW81233 wrote:

I had a feeling that was coming.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    RW81233 wrote:
    g under p wrote:
    RW81233 wrote:

Peace
    oh for sure and it's cool to have a potentially dominant power pitcher in the big league's again, but to say that he (will) fills the stadium unlike no other pitcher before him is to deny a history that happened only a decade ago.

He's right now the hot item in baseball so yes he will draw fans to the many empty stadiums around the league. However, over time the hype will die down and he won't come close to those of his past as far as drawing fans especially on the road. Here in DC though they will flock to the stadium no matter what, this city is hungry for a champion which they haven't seen since the championship years of the Redskins.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    You mean this guy?
    No Cliffy, this guy:
    arod_purse.jpg
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    You mean this guy?
    No Cliffy, this guy:

I prefer to remember the more recent past.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    You mean this guy?
    No Cliffy, this guy:

I prefer to remember the more recent past.
    That's ok. I prefer to remember A-roid the "purse-slapper". Where's his lip gloss and self-portrait of him as a minotaur?

Sorry, this is a thread about little Stevie Strasburg...
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    [You don't like A-Rod?[/quote]

I Do, i was just dissappointed he cheated. Like Bonds i think he had the talent to be a Hall Of Famer without steriods. Greedy Ego . His Attitude is so much better these last two years, so i am falling in love all over.

To all you Boston people, take steriods out of Manny and Little Papi and were still counting how many years in a row, be close to 100 now wouldn't it?
    If you wanna get serious about unfair advantages the yankees world series wins in the 20's and 70s would be about the only thing you'd have a leg to stand on. They completely owned the minor league system in the 30s, 40s, and 50s (it was until black players started to proliferate the majors and the yankees racist owners had to come to grips with themselves that they were good again), and the 1990s squads were loaded with roid-heads so, if you wanna play that game with sox fans (despite my hat i am not one of them) then you'd have to take away about 20 world series yourselves. I know that you were reacting to the arod 'roid mention but still.

As for stevie strasburg, I can't wait until he and Yovani Gallardo get locked up in a game down in DC next year, I'll be there in an instant. And yes D.C. desperately needs to win at something, that's why they get so excited for Ovi who has too many personal deficiencies to overcome at this juncture, D-Nabb who isn't taking them anywhere, and Strasburg who actually might be the best thing that they got.
    RW81233 wrote:
    If you wanna get serious about unfair advantages the yankees world series wins in the 20's and 70s would be about the only thing you'd have a leg to stand on. They completely owned the minor league system in the 30s, 40s, and 50s (it was until black players started to proliferate the majors and the yankees racist owners had to come to grips with themselves that they were good again), and the 1990s squads were loaded with roid-heads so, if you wanna play that game with sox fans (despite my hat i am not one of them) then you'd have to take away about 20 world series yourselves. I know that you were reacting to the arod 'roid mention but still.

As for stevie strasburg, I can't wait until he and Yovani Gallardo get locked up in a game down in DC next year, I'll be there in an instant. And yes D.C. desperately needs to win at something, that's why they get so excited for Ovi who has too many personal deficiencies to overcome at this juncture, D-Nabb who isn't taking them anywhere, and Strasburg who actually might be the best thing that they got.

I Knew i could a reaction!!! we could argue this until were both dead i suspect, but i think we can both agree, this KID looks like the real deal . i hope he has 20 year career and does some special stuff....for the Yankees!!! :lol:
    Please dear God, do not allow this guy to play for the Yankees.
    Please dear God, do not allow this guy to play for the Yankees.

Why not? He'd be a perfect fit!
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    RW81233 wrote:

Who in the 90s was "loaded with roid-heads?"
    Who in the 90s was "loaded with roid-heads?"[/quote]

Coping strategy Mass has employed to deal with there multitude of failures.

Boston had Ted Williams and Jimi Foxx, STILL couldn't win. Excuses= Sad.
    KO282453 wrote:

Boston had Ted Williams and Jimi Foxx, STILL couldn't win. Excuses= Sad.[/quote]

Don't forget when they had Yaz and Rice and Fisk in the 70s.
    Newch91 wrote:
    KO282453 wrote:

Don't forget when they had Yaz and Rice and Fisk in the 70s.[/quote]

i will admit we did have Roger Shitface in 99 and 2000. but it's not like we didn't trade David Wells for him after ONLY THE GREATISTS SEASON EVER!!!

125-50
    KO282453 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    KO282453 wrote:

i will admit we did have Roger Shitface in 99 and 2000. but it's not like we didn't trade David Wells for him after ONLY THE GREATISTS SEASON EVER!!!

125-50[/quote]

Yeah...about Clemens. He did have that unbelievable season in 2000 or 2001, but he might have been juicing.

Don't get me going on that '98 team: Jeter, Knoblach, O'Neil, Bernie, Tino, Posada, Daryl Strawberry (what an awesome name), Chad Curtis, Shane Spencer, Rivera, Wells, Cone, Jeff Nelson, Stanton, El Duque! I was only 7 during that season and I remember it well. 125-50. I'll never forget game 1 of the World Series when Tino hit that grand slam. Gave me some chills. Tino was always one of my favorites.
    KO282453 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

You both are off my Christmas card list.
    KO282453 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

Haha this is why I put you on the thread for sense of humor.

Not gonna lie, though, being a Yankees fan, I do like Ted Williams, even though he is WAY before my time and a Red Sock. As a player myself, he is one of the best hitters from footage I've seen and his swing is amazing. No wonder he was and still is the only player to hit over .400 for a season.
    Newch91 wrote:
    Not gonna lie, though, being a Yankees fan, I do like Ted Williams, even though he is WAY before my time and a Red Sock. As a player myself, he is one of the best hitters from footage I've seen and his swing is amazing. No wonder he was and still is the only player to hit over .400 for a season.
    We're getting waaayyy off topic here, but I could go on about Ted for hours. He was the greatest pure hitter the game has ever seen. He gave up the best years of his career to be a fighter pilot in WWII and Korea. And most importantly, above baseball and being a war hero, he was instrumental in the creation and early promotion of the Jimmy Fund, helping kids fight cancer. Yeah, I get a little emotional when it comes to #9.
    Newch91 wrote:
    We're getting waaayyy off topic here, but I could go on about Ted for hours. He was the greatest pure hitter the game has ever seen. He gave up the best years of his career to be a fighter pilot in WWII and Korea. And most importantly, above baseball and being a war hero, he was instrumental in the creation and early promotion of the Jimmy Fund, helping kids fight cancer. Yeah, I get a little emotional when it comes to #9.

We have gotten off topic. Also, you can't leave Joe DiMaggio out of the picture. Him and Ted were rumored to be traded for each other during a drunken conversation between the team owners. Funny how both players had historic seasons in 1941 and the records they set still stand today.

To the real topic: I will be tuning in for the July game when Strasburg is pitching against the Mets. If the game was at Citi Field, I'd go, but it's at the Nationals park. I wish the Nats were playing the Yankees during Interleague this season but they're not. Maybe next season.
    KO282453 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

:cry:ok,redsox can have'em :mrgreen:
    Newch91 wrote:
    KO282453 wrote:

Yeah...about Clemens. He did have that unbelievable season in 2000 or 2001, but he might have been juicing.

Don't get me going on that '98 team: Jeter, Knoblach, O'Neil, Bernie, Tino, Posada, Daryl Strawberry (what an awesome name), Chad Curtis, Shane Spencer, Rivera, Wells, Cone, Jeff Nelson, Stanton, El Duque! I was only 7 during that season and I remember it well. 125-50. I'll never forget game 1 of the World Series when Tino hit that grand slam. Gave me some chills. Tino was always one of my favorites.
    [/quote]
    so of those guys you would be shock if which one (outside of jetes) wasn't using steroids? sox didn't win world series from the 40s-2004 b/c they didn't like signing minorities. Jackie Robinson could have been there's. Willie Mays was in their farm system, and Bob Gibson was theirs for the taking too. Add those three to already good squads and their is no curse of the Bambino.

p.s. Tino struck out on the pitch before the granny everyone knows that. I hated that team like no other.
  • :roll:

So yeah, about this Strasburg kid...

Seems to be in line to start with a few wins before facing some tougher teams.