How do you politely tell your best friend and roommate..

13»

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    we really do need pics.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    chadwick wrote:
    I don't know if I've spoke of the situation before, but she's only 21, a decade younger than us. Actually over 11 years younger than my roommate. That would be fine and legal and all, except she acts like she's 13 years old. I feel like I'm babysitting.

She's off school for the summer. Has no job. No car. No hobbies. Somehow has 800-something facebook friends, but no real life friends. She had a birthday party and invited a handful of them, and nobody besides her boyfriend and I showed up.. All she does is play Sims or watches movies ALL day. And when she's not doing that, she's either sleeping 12 hrs straight, or she won't shut the fuck up. She's very clingy and insecure..

She's here rent free. She never cleans. Never does the dishes. She cook meals for herself all day, but fills the sink with dishes and I usually have to do them dishes before I can eat.

I'm convinced the only reason my friend is with her is because he's so reserved and passive and she puts out 6 times a day. I know this and the whole neighborhood probably knows this since she screams and moans, often waking me up in the middle of the night.

His whole family can't stand her. His friends won't hang out with him anymore. Everyone thinks she is a joke. The only reason I don't step in is because he seems truly happy..

this sounds like a thread i read many months ago.
    same exact shit.
    I remember that too
    kept looking at the dates twilight zone feel :?
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    I don't know if I've spoke of the situation before, but she's only 21, a decade younger than us. Actually over 11 years younger than my roommate. That would be fine and legal and all, except she acts like she's 13 years old. I feel like I'm babysitting.

She's off school for the summer. Has no job. No car. No hobbies. Somehow has 800-something facebook friends, but no real life friends. She had a birthday party and invited a handful of them, and nobody besides her boyfriend and I showed up.. All she does is play Sims or watches movies ALL day. And when she's not doing that, she's either sleeping 12 hrs straight, or she won't shut the fuck up. She's very clingy and insecure..

She's here rent free. She never cleans. Never does the dishes. She cook meals for herself all day, but fills the sink with dishes and I usually have to do them dishes before I can eat.

I'm convinced the only reason my friend is with her is because he's so reserved and passive and she puts out 6 times a day. I know this and the whole neighborhood probably knows this since she screams and moans, often waking me up in the middle of the night.

His whole family can't stand her. His friends won't hang out with him anymore. Everyone thinks she is a joke. The only reason I don't step in is because he seems truly happy..
    ha! sims... i love that game.
    only lately i've been hooked on roller coaster tycoon 2... although people who drift by my desk tend to appreciate the nostalgia in that game so i say i am off the hook for being like your friend's gf... that and i have a job go to university and my friends come to my birthday party...
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    norm wrote:
    she puts out 6 times a day.
    he seems truly happy..

who wouldn't?! :mrgreen:

PMSL... :lol:
  • loadedgunloadedgun Posts: 1,389
    You all are going about this the wrong way. Fight fire with fire. Make it equally uncomfortable for them, her especially.

1.) Make funky sex noises late at night, getting really into it. And make it obvious the next morning that you were alone last night. Repeat multiple times, from multiple locations in the house.

2.) Get caught jerking it to a picture of her. Worst case she gets creeped out and leaves. Best case she might be flattered, and begins the menage coversations.

3.) Walk around naked, all the time.

4.) Call her by a different name.

5.) Chain her up in the basement.

There are really way too many things you could do to have fun with this, I could go on and on.
    Midwest. Indy/Lafayette.
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    loadedgun wrote:
    You all are going about this the wrong way. Fight fire with fire. Make it equally uncomfortable for them, her especially.

1.) Make funky sex noises late at night, getting really into it. And make it obvious the next morning that you were alone last night. Repeat multiple times, from multiple locations in the house.

2.) Get caught jerking it to a picture of her. Worst case she gets creeped out and leaves. Best case she might be flattered, and begins the menage coversations.

There are really way too many things you could do to have fun with this, I could go on and on.

lol! Walking around naked is the next step..

It happened again last night! I came home, drunk from bar, wanted to make some food, but they made a big meal and I had to do their dishes, clear the stove before I could eat! I'd be cool if it happened every now and then, but every day it happens! It's fine they wait until they absolutely have to clean up, but when you live with other people, those other people have to clean up before they can do their cooking.

I sent him a friendly text this morning voicing my complaint.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    loadedgun wrote:

lol! Walking around naked is the next step..

It happened again last night! I came home, drunk from bar, wanted to make some food, but they made a big meal and I had to do their dishes, clear the stove before I could eat! I'd be cool if it happened every now and then, but every day it happens! It's fine they wait until they absolutely have to clean up, but when you live with other people, those other people have to clean up before they can do their cooking.

I sent him a friendly text this morning voicing my complaint.

take the dirty dishes and trash into his room...maybe they'll get the hint
  • I don't know if I've spoke of the situation before, but she's only 21, a decade younger than us. Actually over 11 years younger than my roommate. That would be fine and legal and all, except she acts like she's 13 years old. I feel like I'm babysitting.

Oh jeez... she sounds like a delight :roll:

I don't know what to suggest for the best. It seems like the relationship won't last long if she's behaving like this and is 11 years younger than him. Hopefully he'll wake up and smell the coffee... I had a friend who went through a similar thing, she was a lot younger than him, gave all his freinds hell and moved into his place. His family wasn't keen on her and she was the most immature little girl i'd ever met... needless to say, that ended last year when he realised what a spoilt little child she was.

Have you tried talking to him about it?
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • loadedgun wrote:

omg this is awesome. Do it do it do it and tell us what happens. :)
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me.."
    Well I just turned in my last month of rent.. I've got a months supply of alcohol, drugs and distractions to keep me from losing it.

Would it be rude for me to wear ear plugs around the house in front of her? :lol:
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    Well I just turned in my last month of rent.. I've got a months supply of alcohol, drugs and distractions to keep me from losing it.

Would it be rude for me to wear ear plugs around the house in front of her? :lol:

Have you ever actually called her out on all this stuff or bring your concerns to the boyfriend's attention?
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    who's been washing the dishes?
    who dirties the dishes?
    who cleans the toilet?

did you ever have "the meeting?"
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce

Have you ever actually called her out on all this stuff or bring your concerns to the boyfriend's attention?

What? Tell her to not talk so much? Too stop acting crazy?

You can't do that.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853

You can't do that.

Well no I'm not saying you should tell her not to talk. But you should have told your roommate that you don't like that she's a freeloader who doesn't pay rent and leaves all the dishes for you to do. That could have at least let him know there's a problem and maybe he could have worked on it. Instead, now you're the one on your way out. So she's a pathetic loser with no friends who sleeps 12 hours a day and YOU have to move out? You'll probably be better off in the long run but it sucks that you let her control a major decision (moving out) of yours.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    :roll:
    Your consideration of Ms. Whore Moan's feelings is quite touching. But srsly, dude, did you ever tell your roommate what the problem was? It's clear he wasn't figuring it out on his own. No surprise there, most people are way too stupid to realize somebody's pissed off unless they're told directly. (No offense to your friend, it's just that most people are pretty clueless when it comes to those kinds of social skills.)

Unfortunately, you've let these other people dictate your actions. Is your spine made of linguini? I'm not crazy about confrontation either but there are times when you have to stand up for yourself. I hope you at least found a good deal on rent where you're moving.

If I were you I'd take all the dishes and stuff when you move out (you've washed them enough, you've earned them!) and leave them a bunch of paper plates. If they ask why, tell them that you didn't think they cared about stuff like that, seeing as they never cleaned up after themselves.

Is he getting another roommate?
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
    :roll:
    Your consideration of Ms. Whore Moan's feelings is quite touching. But srsly, dude, did you ever tell your roommate what the problem was? It's clear he wasn't figuring it out on his own. No surprise there, most people are way too stupid to realize somebody's pissed off unless they're told directly. (No offense to your friend, it's just that most people are pretty clueless when it comes to those kinds of social skills.)

Unfortunately, you've let these other people dictate your actions. Is your spine made of linguini? I'm not crazy about confrontation either but there are times when you have to stand up for yourself. I hope you at least found a good deal on rent where you're moving.

If I were you I'd take all the dishes and stuff when you move out (you've washed them enough, you've earned them!) and leave them a bunch of paper plates. If they ask why, tell them that you didn't think they cared about stuff like that, seeing as they never cleaned up after themselves.

Is he getting another roommate?

Yes, his social skills are horrible, and being my good friend I don't want to get into any fights. I already asked him once.

You would think though after hearing me slam the dishes around while cleaning them while you he's playing video games, he'd get a little hint.

I may ask him one more time, but I'm only here four more weeks.

I haven't told him I'm moving yet. I'll do that after I sign a lease. He knows I'm month to month and may leave at any time.
    can they please wash the dishes tonight?

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    So I text him the other day, "hey, do you want to see Inception this weekend?"

His response "Sure. Sounds awesome!"

His response five minutes later.. "Liz doesn't want to see it."

My response.. "I'm asking you, not Liz."

So.. the girl who does NOTHING BUT watch movies all day, every day doesn't want to see Inception?

Are all women fucked in the head like this?! Is this why I'm still single???

I love coming here to vent. :lol:
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955

Well no I'm not saying you should tell her not to talk. But you should have told your roommate that you don't like that she's a freeloader who doesn't pay rent and leaves all the dishes for you to do. That could have at least let him know there's a problem and maybe he could have worked on it. Instead, now you're the one on your way out. So she's a pathetic loser with no friends who sleeps 12 hours a day and YOU have to move out? You'll probably be better off in the long run but it sucks that you let her control a major decision (moving out) of yours.
    not just controlling a major decision but potentially putting a friendship on the line.
    i hate when girls do that... and i'm a girl!
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
    haffajappa wrote:
    not just controlling a major decision but potentially putting a friendship on the line.
    i hate when girls do that... and i'm a girl!
    you are woman.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    You would think though after hearing me slam the dishes around while cleaning them while you he's playing video games, he'd get a little hint.
    People like that never get hints. You'll have to hit him over the head with a (dirty) frying pan.
    I may ask him one more time, but I'm only here four more weeks.

I haven't told him I'm moving yet. I'll do that after I sign a lease. He knows I'm month to month and may leave at any time.
    It's your call but there is the slim possibility that if you tell him BEFORE you sign a lease that he may decide that your friendship (and rent) is more valuable to him. I wouldn't threaten, I'd just tell him that you've had enough and that's why you're moving.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
    communication.
    i can't stress this enough.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    to the OP, is she the reason you began consuming fish oil by the truck loads?

years ago, my roommate was not my friend, she came right out and told me that "3 girls live here not 3 girls and a guy." she meant that my b/f was sleeping over too much...one of my roommates flirted with him and maybe something else. when she had her b/f over for dinner, she did not know how to cook and i used to help her (i was divorced and knew how to cook since i was a kid too.)
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    So I text him the other day, "hey, do you want to see Inception this weekend?"

His response "Sure. Sounds awesome!"

His response five minutes later.. "Liz doesn't want to see it."

My response.. "I'm asking you, not Liz."

So.. the girl who does NOTHING BUT watch movies all day, every day doesn't want to see Inception?

Are all women fucked in the head like this?!
    Is this why I'm still single???

I love coming here to vent. :lol:

yes... yes we are. so back off!!! :P

:lol:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003

You can't do that.

sure you can. silence truly is golden.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    Unfortunately I learnt the hard way to never flat with friends. My then best friend and I rented a house with my boyfriend for about 6 months - since moving out 7 years ago I have not spoken to her once!
    It all started when I gave her some money to pay the phone bill (which was in my b/f's name) and she didn't pay it. Lots of other bills stopped being paid and then to make matters worse her disgusting fat 45 year old druggie boyfriend (we were 22 at the time) started spending way too much time at our place. He was so creepy and gross!! I would come home from Uni and find him lying on the couch (my couch) with only a towel on (EWWWWWW)!
    In the end she said she was moving out and we couldn't afford the place without her and didn't want to ruin anymore friendships that we ended up having to move in with my b/fs parents (fun times).
    The moral of the story - NEVER live with friends!!!
    all you need is love, love is all you need
    tinkerbell wrote:
    Unfortunately I learnt the hard way to never flat with friends. My then best friend and I rented a house with my boyfriend for about 6 months - since moving out 7 years ago I have not spoken to her once!
    It all started when I gave her some money to pay the phone bill (which was in my b/f's name) and she didn't pay it. Lots of other bills stopped being paid and then to make matters worse her disgusting fat 45 year old druggie boyfriend (we were 22 at the time) started spending way too much time at our place. He was so creepy and gross!! I would come home from Uni and find him lying on the couch (my couch) with only a towel on (EWWWWWW)!
    In the end she said she was moving out and we couldn't afford the place without her and didn't want to ruin anymore friendships that we ended up having to move in with my b/fs parents (fun times).
    The moral of the story - NEVER live with friends!!!
    Yeah, definitely not worth it. That's why I'm keeping my mouth shut. I'm ready to get my own place anyways, I just had no real excuse to do so until now.. This isn't worth damaging a 15 year long friendship over.
  • BenzorBenzor Posts: 886
    I remember the thread you made about this a couple months ago. Someone suggested then that you should just fuck her and that would take care of all your problems. I still stand by this course of action.
  • FrannyFranny Posts: 2,054
    Just get some really nasty porn dvd and turn the volume right up when they are involved in one of thier sessions. ;)
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    Benzor wrote:
    I remember the thread you made about this a couple months ago. Someone suggested then that you should just fuck her and that would take care of all your problems. I still stand by this course of action.

That would liven up the thread quite a bit.

Go for it.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)