Options

Rage Vs Pearl Jam

jonbond1779jonbond1779 London, UK Posts: 1,609
edited June 2010 in The Porch
So I was one of the lucky ones to see Rage Against the Machine Live at Finsbury Park, London on Sunday....

This was the first time I have seen them live - and even though they were great live! Great sound, tight band...I gotta say - they are nothing on Pearl Jam live...

RATM - No improves, no long solos, bit too political...quite a short set (1hr 20mins)

PJ - Amazing improvs, great solos, great sing-a-longs....Long sets (2-2.5 hrs!) better atmosphere generally!

Anyone agree/disagree...thoughts???

(Cant wait to see Pearl Jam in Hyde Park in a few weeks!)
"Bring it back, to the clean form. To the pure form"

28/09/04 - Boston, 20/04/06 - London [\\mm//Astoria\\mm//] - 18/06/07 - Wembley Arena, 11/08/09 -  London [\\mm//Shepherds Bush Empire\\mm//],18/08/09 - 02 Arena, 25/06/10 - Hyde Park, 26/06/12 - Amsterdam, 27/06/12 - Amsterdam, 08/07/14 - Leeds,11/07/14 - Milton Keynes, 13/06/18 - Amsterdam, 18/06/18 - London 02 Arena, 17/07/18 - London 02 Arena, 08/08/22 - Hyde Park, 9/08/22 - Hyde Park - 25/08/22 - Amsterdam, 29/07/24 - London {*Tottenham Stadium TBC*}
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,724
    They're a different beast. I've seen Rage do improv's, but that was a long time ago at a festival. The RATM crowd I think is WAAY more intense.

Overall, PJ is a better time and value.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Was there too, RATM did a great show, really enjoyed it, great atmosphere, can't really fault it to be honest, except the jerks that kept walking over everyones bags, they were a pain.

But as I'm a member on here and not the RATM fanclub I guess that shows who's my favourite.
  • Options
    DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    Claireack wrote:
    Was there too, RATM did a great show, really enjoyed it, great atmosphere, can't really fault it to be honest, except the jerks that kept walking over everyones bags, they were a pain.

But as I'm a member on here and not the RATM fanclub I guess that shows who's my favourite.

Maybe you were secretly sent here from RATM to punish us...

:D
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Two very different bands with a different kind of energy. The set was short at Finsbury Park but I don't think you can consider that gig one of their 'standard' ones.
  • Options
    weekapaug19weekapaug19 Posts: 2,279
    wasn't that a free gig? most rage shows before they broke up were 2+ hours, not sure you can count that show as a typical rage show.
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,029
    wasn't that a free gig? most rage shows before they broke up were 2+ hours, not sure you can count that show as a typical rage show.
    I really wish they would either tour properly again - no more festivals - or put something out new. How long has it been now since they've gotten back together- 2 years and nothing new yet?
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,914
    different shows altogether.

RATM are impressively tight live, and their energy or Zacks energy is just ridiculous.

easily my favourite two live bands, but if I had to pick, its PJ every day of the week....

on a tour Id see RATM once, but would happily see PJ 10 times, thats speaks volumes
  • Options
    ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Claireack wrote:

Maybe you were secretly sent here from RATM to punish us...

:D

OH NO!! you have found out my secret :o
  • Options
    LukinFan wrote:
    .....or put something out new. How long has it been now since they've gotten back together- 2 years and nothing new yet?

There could be something in the pipeline!
  • Options
    MK52700MK52700 Posts: 9
    yes, two totally different types of shows and crowds, but they both rock! PJ is obviously the best, but I saw RATM a bunch of times in the mid/late 90's (one time with Cypress Hill which was awesome)--Zack went off the grind a lot back then and was so full of energy I thought he might explode...you just have to deal with the political stuff because that is what their music is all about.
  • Options
    surforiasurforia SoCal Posts: 347
    Pearl Jam is better for the music, but nothing can top the energy of a Rage show. PJ in the Ten era came close when EV would climb shit during Porch.
    9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 8/18/00, 10/8/00, 10/9/00, 4/28/03, 6/22/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 10/2/04, 10/5/04, 10/1/05, 10/3/05, 5/28/06, 6/20/08, 6/25/08, 10/27/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/22/16, 9/26/21, 10/1/21, 10/2/21, 5/3/22, 5/6/22
  • Options
    KarleyKarley Posts: 506
    RATM seem to be some money-hungry fuckers. I once saw the statement from the guy who books some small festival in Switzerland and he said, that they couldn't get Pearl Jam to play there although it didn't have to do anything with money. RATM on the other hand would be way out of their league financially.

Not what I expected of them with their attitude and all. So besides doing an unnescessary REUNION-TOUR (that says it all) with no new material at all I just think the ticket prices are way too high...They doing greatest hits sets? With songs off their 3 records...?

Edit: Good band nonetheless...had to be said.
    <object height="305" width="100%"> <param name="movie" value="http://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/playlists/1168750&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt; <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param> <embed allowscriptaccess="always" height="305" src="http://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/playlists/1168750&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"></embed> </object> <span><a href=" favorite tracks!</a> by <a href="
  • Options
    Karley wrote:
    RATM seem to be some money-hungry fuckers. I once saw the statement from the guy who books some small festival in Switzerland and he said, that they couldn't get Pearl Jam to play there although it didn't have to do anything with money. RATM on the other hand would be way out of their league financially.

Not what I expected of them with their attitude and all. So besides doing an unnescessary REUNION-TOUR (that says it all) with no new material at all I just think the ticket prices are way too high...They doing greatest hits sets? With songs off their 3 records...?

can see the point but RATM really are fucking awesome. They are a band well worth the admission.

We all know the cost of touring is insane. I dread to think hwat the london show cost to put on.....

They may be political but it doesnt make them idiots....they have a living to make, and i dare say they put that to good use backing up their ideals....without money they would be just another one of the moaning majority....with their clout and position their political stances get noticed....thats the idea.

not to play cheap shows around the globe.
  • Options
    That's not really what I meant. If I want to see a band, I buy a ticket and I would buy a ticket for RATM if they play my city, even if it's just for the old times then (I sound like an old man!). But I was shocked what they supposedly charge for a festival slot. And yes, everyone has to make a living but I can't take any band seriously that feed off the status they reached 10 or 20 years ago and really don't have anything new to come up with. I'm sure they still put on a good show but that whole reunion thing really takes away from their legend and I guess not just the hardcore fans are disapointed that the band even considers touring with nothing new to say or play.
    <object height="305" width="100%"> <param name="movie" value="http://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/playlists/1168750&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt; <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param> <embed allowscriptaccess="always" height="305" src="http://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/playlists/1168750&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"></embed> </object> <span><a href=" favorite tracks!</a> by <a href="
  • Options
    Karley wrote:
    That's not really what I meant. If I want to see a band, I buy a ticket and I would buy a ticket for RATM if they play my city, even if it's just for the old times then (I sound like an old man!). But I was shocked what they supposedly charge for a festival slot. And yes, everyone has to make a living but I can't take any band seriously that feed off the status they reached 10 or 20 years ago and really don't have anything new to come up with. I'm sure they still put on a good show but that whole reunion thing really takes away from their legend and I guess not just the hardcore fans are disapointed that the band even considers touring with nothing new to say or play.

They toured in 2008 for that reason - they wanted to say something, they came out for change and they got it....

the fact that they can tour after 10-20 years is testament to the band and how remarkable they were.

Paul McCartney lives off the beatles still, but it doesnt detract from the fact he's a legend - fact is people want to see it.....and RATM play those tracks like they were written yesterday with the same passion and fire.....
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Speaking of Rage...

http://www.aversion.com/news/news_artic ... s_id=14716

New Rage Against the Machine Album Coming?
    Jun 08, 2010

Rage Against the Machine may be raging in a studio sometime in the near future.

Although it hasn't firmed up plans to make any more music, Rage Against the Machine might be on the road to a proper reunion: Frontman Zach De La Rocha told NME,. Band members plan to wrap up projects they're working on right now -- a process that's expected to take about six more months -- before making the decision to return.

If it records, the reunited band's work would be its first album of originals since 1999's The Battle of Los Angeles (review) (Epic).
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    HinnHinn Posts: 1,517
    They're a different beast. I've seen Rage do improv's, but that was a long time ago at a festival. The RATM crowd I think is WAAY more intense.

Overall, PJ is a better time and value.
    PJ aren't better value when the RATM show is FREE.
    115 bucks for half a haircut by a novice? I want my money back!
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    Why are we comparing apples to oranges? Just sayin :mrgreen:
  • Options
    pdalowsky wrote:
    Karley wrote:

They toured in 2008 for that reason - they wanted to say something, they came out for change and they got it....

the fact that they can tour after 10-20 years is testament to the band and how remarkable they were.

Paul McCartney lives off the beatles still, but it doesnt detract from the fact he's a legend - fact is people want to see it.....and RATM play those tracks like they were written yesterday with the same passion and fire.....

I'm not the biggest McCartney fan myself but at least he releases some new records, tried something new with the Firemen or whatever this little band was called. RATM don't have to release some half assed reunion album, that's ok but for whatever reason I'm disapointed in them. Never happened with the Pixies though it's the same thing basically.
  • Options
    fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134
    rage is too left wing at times. it's good to have ideals, but when you go overboard it becomes a shtick. i'm so happy pearl jam has calmed down politically. everyone needs to start thinking like the beatles.
    as for who's better
    pearl jam. no question. rage was a one man show lead by tom morello, and the other three just followed in his footsteps. i'm not saying i dislike rage, in fact i think they are great, but pearl jam is far better.
  • Options
    Karley wrote:
    So besides doing an unnescessary REUNION-TOUR (that says it all) with no new material at all I just think the ticket prices are way too high...They doing greatest hits sets? With songs off their 3 records...?

Not a reunion tour. They promised to do this free gig in London. They are doing a few other dates on top of this to help pay for it and make it somewhat worthwhile.
  • Options
    redrock wrote:
    Karley wrote:
    So besides doing an unnescessary REUNION-TOUR (that says it all) with no new material at all I just think the ticket prices are way too high...They doing greatest hits sets? With songs off their 3 records...?

Not a reunion tour. They promised to do this free gig in London. They are doing a few other dates on top of this to help pay for it and make it somewhat worthwhile.

Yeah I guess two years of playing the biggest festivals all over the world helped spreading their message...damn this sounds so anti! I actually like this band!!
  • Options
    rage is too left wing at times. it's good to have ideals, but when you go overboard it becomes a shtick. i'm so happy pearl jam has calmed down politically. everyone needs to start thinking like the beatles.
    as for who's better
    pearl jam. no question. rage was a one man show lead by tom morello, and the other three just followed in his footsteps. i'm not saying i dislike rage, in fact i think they are great, but pearl jam is far better.

Tom Morello a one man show? Hardly. I don't see The Nightwatchman selling out festivals all over the world. Like, PJ, Rage is a sum of its parts but it's the vocals and lyrics that put them over the top.

Anyone else happen to know that EV was in a punk band in high school with Brad Wilk (Rage's drummer)?
    9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 8/18/00, 10/8/00, 10/9/00, 4/28/03, 6/22/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 10/2/04, 10/5/04, 10/1/05, 10/3/05, 5/28/06, 6/20/08, 6/25/08, 10/27/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/22/16, 9/26/21, 10/1/21, 10/2/21, 5/3/22, 5/6/22
  • Options
    surforia wrote:
    as for who's better

Tom Morello a one man show? Hardly. I don't see The Nightwatchman selling out festivals all over the world. Like, PJ, Rage is a sum of its parts but it's the vocals and lyrics that put them over the top.

Anyone else happen to know that EV was in a punk band in high school with Brad Wilk (Rage's drummer)?

who do you think wrote most of rage's songs (music and lyrics).. tom. he was the brains and heart and soul behind that band. sure zack had a great voice and he was angry, but without tom the band was nothing. that's what i meant when i said they were a one man show.
    brad and tim were great, too.
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,893
    pdalowsky wrote:
    Karley wrote:

??

McCartney could play a set full of nothing but Wings songs and solo material and it would be a better set than almost any other artist alive. (And he does play a lot of non-Beatles material, so I don't think it's fair to say he's living off the Beatles. Then again, there are a lot worse things one could do than to live off the Beatles.)
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,893
    So I was one of the lucky ones to see Rage Against the Machine Live at Finsbury Park, London on Sunday....

RATM - No improves, no long solos, bit too political...quite a short set (1hr 20mins)

Huh? This is like saying, "I thought the Chris Rock show had a little too much comedy." Politics is Rage's stock-in-trade-- not just in live commentary, but in the content of its artistic output. It always puzzles me when people criticize artists when they speak out about political matters at shows when the artists' music is suffused with political and social commentary and always has been (Springsteen and Pearl Jam are two other examples).
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,757
    as for who's better

I have to say I never paid much attention to RATM's music, since they came out in support of the cop-killer Mumia. Left wing is one thing, but this is just plain ignorant. This guy is plainly guilty and should be fried. I'm kind of a little left of center generally, but the death penalty is perfect for people like that. I will never forgive RATM; I never even bought an Audioslave album. Maybe they should get all the facts before they get behind the latest trendy "cause."
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    as for who's better

I have to say I never paid much attention to RATM's music, since they came out in support of the cop-killer Mumia. Left wing is one thing, but this is just plain ignorant. This guy is plainly guilty and should be fried. I'm kind of a little left of center generally, but the death penalty is perfect for people like that. I will never forgive RATM; I never even bought an Audioslave album. Maybe they should get all the facts before they get behind the latest trendy "cause."

what was the logic behind this mumia movement? how was/is he considered a "political prisoner"?
  • Options
    HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,323
    Well, they do have Tom Morello, one of the best guitarists playing today. Very few guitarists today are in his class. Mike is great, too, but The Nightwatchman is miles ahead. Just an opinion.
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    as for who's better

what was the logic behind this mumia movement? how was/is he considered a "political prisoner"?

I think the logic behind the movement was that he had an unfair trial, at least that's what many legal scholars have claimed. Most rational people that supported the cause seemed to advocate that it is in everybody's best interests to have fair trials, especially when the defendant's overt political affiliation (ex-Black Panther) was made an issue by the prosecution. I think RATM went a little overboard by proclaiming "FREE MUMIA." There's a major distinction to be drawn between "FREE MUMIA" and "Give the guy a fair trial" (especially if the evidence speaks for itself anyway).