Options

Does anyone ACTUALLY like PJ posters?

Comments

• Options
    I currently have 5 posters hanging on my walls.

Of those 5, 2 are shows I've been to (Columbia and Virginia Beach '08), and 3 aren't (St.Paul 1, Boston 2 and Brisbane '06).

Obviously, the St. Paul and the Boston are not well loved among the poster fans, but I absolutely love the frame job and the way they look on the wall. Those two hang in my upstairs hallway, and I think they absolutely pop beside each other.

I still have the 6 other shows I've been to to get framed up, as well as about 5 select non-attending show posters that I have picked up that I absolutely love.

I think some of it is the found memory connection, but (for example) everyone apparently hates the Ames poster for Columbus this year, but I think that with the right frame job, it's light-hearted and fun. Might some day find itself hanging in my future child's room. I've got both of the '08 Camden's waiting to be framed because they just really jumped out to me as fun pieces.

Like all Art I think there is certainly a matter of personal taste. I've always enjoyed being surrounded by photo's of friends and family, and given my strong love of Pearl Jam owning and displaying their posters regularly bring a smile to my lips.

That being said, the Virginia Beach '08 poster is head and shoulders above any of the other posters, in part because I think it is generally superior, but also (likely because of that) it got extra special framing preference and is thus-far the highlight of my collection.
    If Adam and Eve had Taco Bell they would have never eaten that filthy fruit...
  • Options
    PlanktonPlankton Posts: 692
    Some of the ones on my walls:

http://www.expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/41076

http://www.expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/42574

http://www.expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/81631

http://www.expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/37930

http://www.expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/108002

I love them all. The Manchester one is probably the 'darkest' but it's such a striking image, with a good meaning/story behind it too.

I do dislike posters that seem to typically 'metal' in their appearance (skulls? No thanks), but I think PJ have a pretty good selection of amazing posters.
  • Options
    Cosmic SlopCosmic Slop Posts: 107
    I used to buy up everything no matter what for whatever reason, but now I only buy posters that I like and for shows that I was at. I much prefer someone admiring a cool poster hanging in my place and I can tell them I was there.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,491
    some i like,some not..i have all from the shows i went and 2-3 more i like them(like SLC 09)..
    and i would love to have dusseldorf 07
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    CranMalReignCranMalReign Posts: 1,928
    Poster collecting is the one aspect of Pearl Jam I never got into and I thank god for that. what a waste of money.

Of course, it's relative. I mean, what's something you love that costs you money? There's a good chance it doesn't make me as happy as it makes you, so for me, it's a waste of money even if for you it's worth every dime.

Some people "collect for value". I think that bastardizes the whole purpose of show posters. I've never once purchased a poster for value. I never intend on selling a single poster I've ever purchased.

My rules are simple:

1. Buy posters from the shows I've been to. If I sold one of those, I'd just have to buy it again to ensure a complete collection.
    2. Buy posters I love. Why would I sell something I love?

Very few things in the world make me happier than my Pearl Jam posters... and I only just started actively collecting them last year! Granted, I had purchased a few here and there at shows over the years...

Sometimes I just stare at the ones on my walls or leaf through my art portfolio looking at them.

Personal favorites:

Klausen Showbox '04: http://www.expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/19358
    Klausen DC '06: http://www.expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/38168
    Klausen Camden '08: http://www.expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/81785
    Burwell Cleveland '10: http://www.expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/121958

And I'm actually into the sinister ones... they're my faves. :) I think the Camden '08 challenges for most favoritest ever!

*Edit*

Yah, forgot this one:

*LURVE* this poster in theory: Klausen SLC '09 20090928_slc_klausen.jpg

In real life, tho, it broke my heart. I am still holding out for one that is properly printed so I can actually see it. Releasing that one was a sham.
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 03 Pgh|Philly|PSU|Camden 1+2|Hershey
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 08 Camden 1+2|Hartford|Mansfield 2
    • 09 Philly 1 [EV]|Toronto|Spectrum 1-4
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly
    • 13 London|Pgh|Buff|Philly 1+2|Balt
    • 14 Cincy|StL
    • 16 Philly 1+2|Philly 2 [TotD]
    • 18 Boston 1+2
  • Options
    NoOne'sRivalNoOne'sRival Posts: 299
    It's art...and it's beauty lies within the eye of the beholder...or the one with the money to buy it!!
    "Dream the dream others then...you will be no one's RIVAL!"
    "Doo do do do doo do doo, Doo do do do doo do doo..."
  • Options
    Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    It really never did much for me but my kids LOVE them and will have 3 each in their rooms after we get them back next week from the 2010 tour. They actually have a contest amongst them, whose are better and they have weird names for each of them.

Chicken Man - LA4 2009
    I can see her butt - SD 2009
    PJ Brain - Noblesville 2010
    Bad Kids - Hartford 2010 (my favorite)
    Insane Pokemon - MSGI 2010
    Donkey King Kong - MSG II 2010

Plus with the tickets in the frame, it really brings back the memories of the shows...
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    wall05wall05 Posts: 304

And I'm actually into the sinister ones... they're my faves. :) I think the Camden '08 challenges for most favoritest ever!

I just had my camden '08 framed this week. I really like the way it turned out.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50692686@N04/4654626742/
    2008 - Camden, NJ 1
    2009 - Philadelphia, PA x4
    2010 - Newark, NJ, New York City, NY x2
    2012 - Philadelphia, PA
    2013 - Chicago, IL, Philadelphia, PA x2, Hartford, CT
    2016 - Philadelphia, PA x2, New York City, NY 2, Fenway 2
  • Options
    StaffanStaffan Posts: 606
    NJPJ wrote:
    It's art...and it's beauty lies within the eye of the beholder...or the one with the money to buy it!!

:D
    Everyday................is Pearl Jam Day.

Except Sundays, that's Ed day.

The mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work unless it's open. FZ

• Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,030
    I love most of mine- two of my favorites are Ft. Lauderdale 96 and Birmingham 98
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    I think the posters reflect the band pretty well -- kinda bipolar. Satan's Bed vs Betterman; Habit vs Off He Goes; Blood vs Elderly .... so with that in mind, right, i really strongly dislike about half (prolly closer to 3/4s) the posters out there. Not that I dislike the music, but I'm just not into the blood, skulls, bones, horror images. As my daughter said at LA2, "I'm NOT hanging that on my wall...."

I love the Cleveland '10 poster by Burwell, I like a lot of the Klausens ... I liked Ames Seattle '09 poster, just for the typewriter! So yes, I actually do like quite a few. I'm in my 40s though, I prolly woulda hung more of the darker ones in my dorm room. Now I'm just not gonna put a big jack-n-box skull dude in my living room where I hold Cub Scout meetings....

And then there's Klausen's SLC '09 -- now while it's a tad dark and sinister, it's the PERFECT poster in evoking the imagery of a PJ song! Maybe that can go in the office....

But yes, I've often documented my dreaded poster curse ... need I say more than Noblesville? LA2, SD '09 ... I've just resigned myself to knowing that shows I go to, the poster will be less than exciting to me.
    [sic] happens
  • Options
    RedMosquito22RedMosquito22 Posts: 8,158
    Poster collecting is the one aspect of Pearl Jam I never got into and I thank god for that. what a waste of money.

Of course, it's relative. I mean, what's something you love that costs you money? There's a good chance it doesn't make me as happy as it makes you, so for me, it's a waste of money even if for you it's worth every dime.

Some people "collect for value". I think that bastardizes the whole purpose of show posters. I've never once purchased a poster for value. I never intend on selling a single poster I've ever purchased.

My rules are simple:

1. Buy posters from the shows I've been to. If I sold one of those, I'd just have to buy it again to ensure a complete collection.
    2. Buy posters I love. Why would I sell something I love?

Very few things in the world make me happier than my Pearl Jam posters... and I only just started actively collecting them last year! Granted, I had purchased a few here and there at shows over the years...

Sometimes I just stare at the ones on my walls or leaf through my art portfolio looking at them.

Personal favorites:

Klausen Showbox '04: http://www.expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/19358
    Klausen DC '06: http://www.expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/38168
    Klausen Camden '08: http://www.expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/81785
    Burwell Cleveland '10: http://www.expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/121958

*Edit*

Yah, forgot this one:

*LURVE* this poster in theory: Klausen SLC '09 20090928_slc_klausen.jpg

In real life, tho, it broke my heart. I am still holding out for one that is properly printed so I can actually see it. Releasing that one was a sham.

Camden 08 is in my kitchen.
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • Options
    Dru_CortezDru_Cortez Posts: 953
    I am so psyched to hang
    the California Trio (the 1 with kids n' insects),
    but the question is where.
    I need a kid,
    so I can get a nursery,
    so I can hang these
    whimsical delights.
    Posters are hit n' miss,
    as is most everything.
    Cheers.
    'Cause you don't give blood and take it back again.
  • Options
    Dru_Cortez wrote:
    I am so psyched to hang
    the California Trio (the 1 with kids n' insects),
    but the question is where.
    I need a kid,
    so I can get a nursery,
    so I can hang these
    whimsical delights.
    Posters are hit n' miss,
    as is most everything.
    Cheers.

I like these ones too... I only have one of them so far... I'm not fiercely going after the other two, and even if I did, I don't know what I'd do w/ them... hrm. But I do enjoy them!
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly
    • 14 Cincy|StL
    • 18 Boston 1+2
  • Options
    Brisk. wrote:
    I can't help but notice 90%+ of PJ posters are just really durgy and evil looking or just generally plain weird and make no sense to me why you would want them framed and on a wall.

!!
    thats because they are rock posters and not meant to hang on someone's suburban wall for decoration.
  • Options
    sk8nshoot1sk8nshoot1 Posts: 722
    MrSmith wrote:
    Brisk. wrote:
    I can't help but notice 90%+ of PJ posters are just really durgy and evil looking or just generally plain weird and make no sense to me why you would want them framed and on a wall.

!!
    thats because they are rock posters and not meant to hang on someone's suburban wall for decoration.

Agree with that, but that's the past , when they were stapled to telephone poles or plastered on the sides of buildings to promote a gig... hence gigposters...

Now they are produced to be collectible art and as always, beauty is in the eye of the beholder...
    1996: Randall's Island I, Hartford
    1998: MSG I, Hartford
    2000: Jones Beach I
    2003: Albany, MSG II, Mansfield II & III, Homdel
    2004: Boston (VFC) I & II
    2006: Albany, Hartford, Boston I and E. Rutherford I
    2008: MSG I & II, Hartford, Mansfield II (saw BostonLou in the FRONT ROW!!) EV-NYC II
    2010: Hartford
    2013 Worcester II, Hartford
    2016 Fenway I
    2018 Wrigley II, Fenway II
  • Options
    IamTomIamTom Posts: 1,138
    goldrush wrote:
    I like quite a lot of their posters but I only buy them at shows, I don't need posters for shows that I didn't go to no matter how cool they may look.

Newcastle, Australia 2006 is my favourite poster from one of my favourite shows.

http://www.expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/45803

I'm with you on this. Tho I'd love them to do something similar to Hertford(I think) with the poster of a kid pasteing a poster> I liked that a lot.
    Given To Live -

Latest story - Declan at Slipknot is up on the website now at www.giventolive.com along with Kayleigh at Foo Fighters, Tony at Stereophonics and more.

Inspired by Pearl Jam, making live music dreams come true.
  • Options
    LovesVinyl wrote:
    I can't stop talking about the Cleveland poster from this year. I'm pretty sure I held it in the tube like it was a baby and wept. Got it framed, and it looks beautiful in the living room.

I always get a poster for the shows I go to, and I rarely like them. It's usually my kids who think they are cool or funny. When they saw the Columbus poster this year, my 4 and 6 year old boys fell over in laughter and can't wait to have it in their room.

Photo of the frame job for Cleveland?
    Camden - 5/28/06; Camden - 6/20/08; MSG - 6/25/08; Newark - (Ed Solo) 8/7/08; Philly - (Ed Solo) 6/12/09; Philly - 10/30/09; Philly - 10/31/09; Newark - 5/18/10; MSG - 5/20/10; MSG - 5/21/10
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Yup. I LOVE my Hartford 08 poster (probably more so because it's framed) and the mike mccready Newark poster is freakin badass, can't wait till that one gets framed.

The only one I don't care for is my spectrum poster, I didn't even frame it. It's just taped on my wall. Oh and the msg2 poster I didn't even buy, I thought it was absolutely hideous.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,775
    not a poster person at all. the only one i ever made an effort of getting at the actual show was '98 NJ/NYC, which is hanging in my living room.
  • Options
    sk8nshoot1 wrote:
    MrSmith wrote:
    Brisk. wrote:

!!

Agree with that, but that's the past , when they were stapled to telephone poles or plastered on the sides of buildings to promote a gig... hence gigposters...

Now they are produced to be collectible art and as always, beauty is in the eye of the beholder...
    which is why i have nothing to do with it :)

i really hope the artists that made gigposters what they are today don't start thinking "now would this look nice hanging in someone's bathroom? are the skulls too scary for today's middle aged suburban soccer mom PJ fan?"
  • Options
    i really hope the artists that made gigposters what they are today don't start thinking "now would this look nice hanging in someone's bathroom? are the skulls too scary for today's middle aged suburban soccer mom PJ fan?"

HEY NOW! We middle aged soccer mom Pj fans make a lot of the $$ decisions, so there is nothing wrong w/ wanting to please us :D
    Where she walks no flowers bloom...
  • Options
    LovesVinyl wrote:

HEY NOW! We middle aged soccer mom Pj fans make a lot of the $$ decisions, so there is nothing wrong w/ wanting to please us :D

Don't ruin them for the rest of us, please!

That's all we need is a fat chef motif or flowers or babies dressed as flowers...
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly
    • 14 Cincy|StL
    • 18 Boston 1+2
  • Options
    LovesVinyl wrote:

That's all we need is a fat chef motif or flowers or babies dressed as flowers...
    like this?

geddesannesunflowerwall.jpg
    painting1s.jpg
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    painting1s.jpg[/quote]

That's Great, a kinder gentler PJ.
  • Options

Don't worry, I'm not that kind of soccer mom!
  • Options
    LovesVinyl wrote:
    I can't stop talking about the Cleveland poster from this year. I'm pretty sure I held it in the tube like it was a baby and wept. Got it framed, and it looks beautiful in the living room.

I always get a poster for the shows I go to, and I rarely like them. It's usually my kids who think they are cool or funny. When they saw the Columbus poster this year, my 4 and 6 year old boys fell over in laughter and can't wait to have it in their room.

Photo of the frame job for Cleveland?

Well I wouldn't call it a frame "job", it's just my poster in a cheap bronze colored frame from Michael's. I couldn't stand the idea of it just sitting in the tube in my closet. Unfortunately I'm a) not very creative and b)BROKE, so I need to save up some cash and then decide what would look best as far as mat/frame.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40413483@N02/4670081412/in/set-72157624204175404/
  • Options
    MrSmith wrote:
    like this?

painting1s.jpg

Hrm, now that I see them... perhaps they're not so bad after all!
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly
    • 14 Cincy|StL
    • 18 Boston 1+2
  • Options
    milarsomilarso Posts: 1,280
    Toronto '09 was pretty sweet.
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
  • Options
    hollyster70hollyster70 Posts: 228
    i love the portland '09 poster with the elephants...hangs in my living room.
    Be Kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle