Options

Does anyone ACTUALLY like PJ posters?

Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
edited June 2010 in The Porch
I collect all the posters from shows I have been too because it would be cool to have them framed (when i graduate from uni and get a job which won't be for years! :() one day and put up in my house like a lot of you do but I can't help but notice 90%+ of PJ posters are just really durgy and evil looking or just generally plain weird and make no sense to me why you would want them framed and on a wall.

The only ones I really love at LA 2006 and Hartford 08, oh and everyone like Honolulu poster.

Acquired taste?

P.S Gimmie that Soungarden + Pearl Jam too!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,825
    I like Santa Barbara 03 and Fargo 03

There's others out there but aren't immediately coming to mind
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    NYCPJNYCPJ nyc Posts: 761
    I havent bought too many (no room) but i do like the MSG2 poster. And, while they may be evil -- the Aussie 2009 posters are very cool (love Perth, Melbourne and Adelaide). The emek santa barbara 2006, which i think they never used, is probably my favorite.

http://www.emek.net/posters/p/pearljam2.html
    6/3/06 (East Rutherford 2)
    6/24/08 (MSG1)
    6/25/08 (MSG2)
    7/1/08 (Beacon Theater -NYC)
    10/30/09 (Philly3)
    5/18/10 (Newark, NJ)
    5/20/10 (MSG1)
    5/21/10 (MSG2)
    10/18/13 (Brooklyn 1)
    10/19/13 (Brooklyn 2)
    5/1/16 (MSG 1)
    5/2/16 (MSG 2)
    3/30/20 (MSG)
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    NYCPJ wrote:
    I havent bought too many (no room) but i do like the MSG2 poster. And, while they may be evil -- the Aussie 2009 posters are very cool (love Perth, Melbourne and Adelaide). The emek santa barbara 2006, which i think they never used, is probably my favorite.

http://www.emek.net/posters/p/pearljam2.html

Yeah that one is bad ass. Yet it may be boring to keep going with the whole Eddie Vedder surfing wave hippie style posters, I don't see why they need to keep making stuff like this:

http://www.expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/107969

They're not metal, if genre even has anything to do with the artwork.
    Post edited by Brisk. on
  • Options
    GratefulJamGratefulJam Posts: 1,797
    I agree some are out there.

But some of my favs:

sb 06

ev solo especially Hawaii

klausen Hawaii 06

dusseldorf even if I was not there

Portland 06

enjoy collect what you like!!!
    "thru extensive negotiations we managed to get the curfew moved back..... we still don't have any time to fu&k around...."

LA II 06, SB 06, SF III 06, Kokua 07 Ed and Jack, Grant Park 07, EV Berk1 & LA 1 (nice job 10c), 08 DC, MSG1 &2, VH1 rocks, EV Bos II, EV NYC I & II, Milwaukee, EV Maui, EV Hono I & II, Chicago 09 I & II, LA 09 I & II & IV, SD 09 (my girlfriend hit the lottery, best concert of my life 10C rocks)KC 2010, STL 2010, Hartford. Boston, and MSG I & II "who goes around skinning cats anyway", PJ 20 2011 , Portland, Spokane, Seattle LA 2013, Home Shows + Missoula (fatal 👌)
  • Options
    Wolf At BayWolf At Bay Posts: 236
    I like the fact that they throw in some sinister posters. Lets people know they mean business and keeps out the faint-of-heart.
  • Options
    TangerineTangerine Posts: 880
    I do. I currently have 18 (counting official show posters only) hanging throughout my house with another 4 frames on the way for Boston, Philly III and IV and Perth 09 (for my son's room) and 2 Neocons to be framed when I get the rest of 'em. Granted the majority (10) are down in the game room and three of the four to be framed will be down there as well, but I really do like them. I have several for shows I haven't attended solely because I like the art, and I have to say there are a few I have for shows I've been to that I'm not crazy about but my tickets need to go somewhere ;)

There are a quite a few for shows I haven't been to that I really like--Boston '98, LA '09, SLC '09, Ed's Kenyon Hall poster, etc. that I would love to have...just don't have the $$$ to spend right now. And I actually donated Camden II '06 to the Wishlist foundation for one of the pre-parties last year because I just didn't care for it once I saw it up close. Our Boston I and Camden II '06 tickets are framed with the Summer Tour poster anyway, so I just pretend the Camden '08 poster is from '06 :lol: .

Why would people buy posters they don't like, unless they specifically want to frame their tix with them??
    2006: Boston I, Camden II
    2007: Chicago
    2008: Hartford, Mansfield I & II, EV Boston
    2009: Philly III & IV
    2010: Boston
    2011: PJ20
    2012: Philly
    2013: Worcester I & II, Brooklyn I & II
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,374
    I like quite a lot of their posters but I only buy them at shows, I don't need posters for shows that I didn't go to no matter how cool they may look.

Newcastle, Australia 2006 is my favourite poster from one of my favourite shows.

http://www.expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/45803
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    Tangerine wrote:
    I do. I currently have 18 (counting official show posters only) hanging throughout my house with another 4 frames on the way for Boston, Philly III and IV and Perth 09 (for my son's room) and 2 Neocons to be framed when I get the rest of 'em. Granted the majority (10) are down in the game room and three of the four to be framed will be down there as well, but I really do like them. I have several for shows I haven't attended solely because I like the art, and I have to say there are a few I have for shows I've been to that I'm not crazy about but my tickets need to go somewhere ;)

There are a quite a few for shows I haven't been to that I really like--Boston '98, LA '09, SLC '09, Ed's Kenyon Hall poster, etc. that I would love to have...just don't have the $$$ to spend right now. And I actually donated Camden II '06 to the Wishlist foundation for one of the pre-parties last year because I just didn't care for it once I saw it up close. Our Boston I and Camden II '06 tickets are framed with the Summer Tour poster anyway, so I just pretend the Camden '08 poster is from '06 :lol: .

Why would people buy posters they don't like, unless they specifically want to frame their tix with them??

Because posters can sell like bombs.
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    depends on the poster. some are cool, some are lame. seems every show i go to, the posters are lame. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,293
    I agree that it depends on the print. In my opinion, there are a few awesome posters out there - EV Rocket and EV Batmobile and Hartford '08.

So far I have not really liked too much from 2010. Hopefully, BK's Euro posters will be cool.
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    I Love my Surfin Sasquatch!!! and if i had more disposable income i would have many more. INCULDING MSG 2 2010!!!!
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    PJ-Cubs wrote:
    I agree that it depends on the print. In my opinion, there are a few awesome posters out there - EV Rocket and EV Batmobile and Hartford '08.

So far I have not really liked too much from 2010. Hopefully, BK's Euro posters will be cool.

EV Batmobile has to be one of the best!!! that's on my wish list.
  • Options
    RexChpmn3RexChpmn3 Posts: 5
    I got about 20 something from the shows i went to. Worst is the first show i went to, Saratoga 2000 for some reason didnt have its own show poster. Id have to say my favorite one I have is the Klaussen from the Borgata in '05
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    I like some of them. I only buy a poster if 1) its a show I went to, and 2) I really like the art. The Hartford 08 and Camden 08 ones were cool. I also liked the Ottawa 06 one, and the Albany 03 one. I liked the VFC 04 series, but that was very hard to get hold of, and I don't buy for over 10 club price. In short I only get it if its something I'd want to look at a lot. I don't really like skeleton themes.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    Cradles Broken GlassCradles Broken Glass Posts: 1,409
    edited June 2010
    There are hits and misses with the posters. I tend to love more psychedelic looking ones and tend to shy away from those that are just plain. I've been trying to decide how I want to collect and I think I'm going to just stick with shows I've been to, even it it means the poster sucks and I'll probably miss out on some great posters.
    Post edited by Cradles Broken Glass on
    Hearts and thoughts they fade....
    fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,633
    By themselves, a lot of them arent all that attractive. Although, most of them look much, much better in person than from an internet picture.

Also, framed posters, especially with a nice mat job are awesome and make for great decorations (especially for a media/theater room/basement).

I try to collect all the posters from shows I have been to and plan on framing each one (16). The only one I framed that I did not attend was Chicago 07 (which looks pretty awesome).

Personally, from shows I attended, my favorites are Toronto 09 and the 2 Bostons from 04.
    Least favorites are the Hartford 06 and MSG I 10. I kinda wish they mixed up the 4 Phillys from last year too.

And to sum it up as a response to your original post.... with the right frame job, the poster is usually enhanced quite a bit.
  • Options
    Aaron 23Aaron 23 Allen, TX Posts: 543
    I like every poster from every show that I've attended, with the exception of Vegas '03. :lol:

Even that one gets love in my home, though. 8-)
  • Options
    WM31482WM31482 New York, NY Posts: 563
    I really like Vancouver 09: http://www.expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/110397

Santa Barbara 06: http://www.expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/40683

And Munich 07: http://www.expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/61031

and for some reason i can't figure out i find myself drawn to this one.... http://www.expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/121906
    i will never admit that in public though... seriously what's going on in that picture??
  • Options
    marcosmarcos Posts: 2,111
    I suppose that PJ posters are like the programs that other more commercial bands sell at their concerts. So I can see why people like them. But I'm not that into it but did buy a few through the fan club as anything PJ is cool!
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,789
    Poster collecting is the one aspect of Pearl Jam I never got into and I thank god for that. what a waste of money. but as for the OP's question, I very much like their poster designs...especially the evil looking ones. I also like the ones that parody known images. I recall one in particular that combined the family (as skeletons) from Zeppelin's Presence album cover with the prism from Dark Side of the Moon that was cool. Anyone know where to find an image of this?
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    Poster collecting is the one aspect of Pearl Jam I never got into and I thank god for that. what a waste of money. but as for the OP's question, I very much like their poster designs...especially the evil looking ones. I also like the ones that parody known images. I recall one in particular that combined the family (as skeletons) from Zeppelin's Presence album cover with the prism from Dark Side of the Moon that was cool. Anyone know where to find an image of this?

This is the one: http://www.expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/81326
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    I love posters!
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    gndcd402gndcd402 Posts: 2,558
    edited June 2010
    my favorites are dc 06 (my first show!), EV kenyon hall, christchurch 09, cleveland 10, and toronto 06 all of which are hanging in my living room right now :)
    Post edited by gndcd402 on
  • Options
    arqarq Posts: 7,940
    gndcd402 wrote:
    my favorites are dc 06 (my frist show!), EV kenyon hall, christchurch 09, cleveland 10, and toronto 06 all of which are hanging in my living room right now :)

Nice bunch!
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • Options
    gndcd402gndcd402 Posts: 2,558
    arq wrote:
    gndcd402 wrote:
    my favorites are dc 06 (my frist show!), EV kenyon hall, christchurch 09, cleveland 10, and toronto 06 all of which are hanging in my living room right now :)

Nice bunch!
    cleveland is beautiful, no doubt the best from the 2010 tour! i also have los angeles 06 that i've been trying to get rid of haha
  • Options
    I can't stop talking about the Cleveland poster from this year. I'm pretty sure I held it in the tube like it was a baby and wept. Got it framed, and it looks beautiful in the living room.

I always get a poster for the shows I go to, and I rarely like them. It's usually my kids who think they are cool or funny. When they saw the Columbus poster this year, my 4 and 6 year old boys fell over in laughter and can't wait to have it in their room.
    Where she walks no flowers bloom...
  • Options
    Soulfire42Soulfire42 Posts: 404
    I have a problem with PJ merch in general. I consider myself a hardcore fan, but whenever I see PJ merch I am usually just not interested in the artwork/designs. It's very rare that I find a poster I enjoy for PJ, but there are posters of other bands that I would buy in a hearbeat. When I open up Backspacer and see the soundwave guy and the mutant ear rat and then get offered a poster of it... uhm, no thanks. It's like when I opened self-titled and saw the severed heads. Wouldn't want a poster of that either. There's a lot of campy stuff in PJ merch and I don't find it to be a good mix with the music/image that PJ typically portrays. I think in the grand scheme of things that PJ (and supporting entities) have missed out on a bunch of dollars because they generate merchandise and posters that don't appeal to most of their fanbase. I had cash in hand to buy a poster at shows I've been to, but then saw the designs for the show and changed my mind almost every time (yeah, I gave in once).
  • Options
    dustinparduedustinpardue Las Vegas, NV Posts: 1,829
    81 wrote:
    depends on the poster. some are cool, some are lame. seems every show i go to, the posters are lame. :lol:

that's my luck. I spent years getting all the posters from every show I've been to, but one day I noticed that for the exception of 2 or 3, my shows seem to have to the posters I don't like so I started selling them and just keeping the Charlotte 96 (my first one)
    "All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.
  • Options
    ChrisileinChrisilein Vienna/Austria Posts: 3,888
    Actually i love all the BK prints and thats the reason why i'm collecting all the AP! My goal is to get them all framed and make a Klausen PJ gallery in my living room. Unfortunately i'm only at the beginning, buying and framing posters is a very expensive hobby!
    Tried to get the EMEK Kansas City but had no luck this time. Yesterday i received the Munk One Boston AP!

My favourite posters so far:
    SLC
    Honolulu
    Toronto 05

...can't wait to see the BK european prints!!! :o
    up here in my tree in Vienna
    2006: Vienna 2009: Berlin 2010: London ~ Berlin 2012: Amsterdam 1+2 ~ Werchter ~ Arras ~ Berlin 1+2
    2014: Milano ~ Trieste ~ Vienna ~ Berlin 2018: Padova ~ Rome 2022: Budapest ~ Vienna
    EV London/Hammersmith 2012
    EV Berlin/Zitadelle 2017
  • Options
    Paul AndrewsPaul Andrews Posts: 2,489
    I look at the posters like art: some I like, some I don't. There are some I love which others don't and there are other posters people rave about that I wouldn't use as toilet paper... but then again I was in and out of the Van Gough museum in Amsterdam in 35 minutes... so what would I know about art??? I was more interested in getting a 'coffee'. :lol:

But really, they are a cheap way to fill a room with 'art'. I've got some of the shows I've been to and collected others I like. For me the 2006 Aussie tour posters are great because a lot of the images/characters/symbols in them captured images of my life and culture yet I hear others who don't like them.

It's a personal thing and that's why they're so great. :)

PS: If anyone is feeling like spreading some Karma, I'd really love a Cleveland May 09 :)