"From A Basement In Seattle" by Brad Klausen

Comments

• demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,548
    demetrios wrote:
    Awesome! Awesome to the max! 8-)

this. too bad we have to wait until dec.

It'll be worth it! :)

I'm hoping Brad sells his book @ artillerydesign.com. And that all copies sold are signed by the man himself.
  • jameslw13jameslw13 Posts: 144
    The NEOCON series is one of my favorites. The greatest thing about Mr. Klausen... his prints are fantastic, design well thought out, but he is also a great person. If you have a problem, he will be happy to help you, and he is very intune to philanthropic causes as well.

PS I hope artillery sells the book as well, as I am sure he will include some special doodle or autograph with it. I would love if they did a limited edition like they did with Ames V.S PJ book. Does anyone know if that is in the works?
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Posts: 8,906
    jameslw13 wrote:
    The NEOCON series is one of my favorites. The greatest thing about Mr. Klausen... his prints are fantastic, design well thought out, but he is also a great person. If you have a problem, he will be happy to help you, and he is very intune to philanthropic causes as well.

PS I hope artillery sells the book as well, as I am sure he will include some special doodle or autograph with it. I would love if they did a limited edition like they did with Ames V.S PJ book. Does anyone know if that is in the works?

bK is good people.

as for the book, something special is in the works.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Missoula, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Posts: 8,906
    "From A Basement In Seattle" Pre-Order

50297714.jpg

After many months, the book is now finally done and ready for pre-order.

The book is softbound, 10.75" x 12.5", 156 pages and covers 70 posters I've
    created over the past 6 years, including sketches, parts, and stories behind
    the process and inspiration of each one. Jeff Ament wrote the foreward
    and Eddie Vedder wrote the introduction.

The book is available for pre-order on the site now, under the "BOOKS"
    link within the 2010 year.

http://www.artillerydesign.com/main.php ... d=125&pg=0

The book is $25 plus shipping and all copies sold on my site are signed by me.

Books will ship towards the end of November.

Each book is packaged separately, so if you order more then one book
    shipping will be charged for each book purchased. Unfortunately we
    can't pack multiple books together.

Also, since we can't roll books into tubes, if you purchase any posters
    along with a book, you will be charged separate shipping for the
    posters (which are packed in a tube) and the book (which is packed
    in padded envelope)

Originally I had hoped to offer a small print to go along with the book
    purchase, unfortunately there just wasn't any time to work on something
    and have it done in time. So, I can only offer a signed copy of the book.

I am currently in the process of moving (yet again) and because of this
    won't have access to my computer and the internet until some time
    next week. So if you encounter any trouble with the site or email
    with any questions, please allow about a week for a response... it
    may take me a few days to get set back up and online.

I hope you are all doing well! Stay tuned for more updates..

thanks as always

bradK.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Missoula, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,895
    Picked one up. It looks like it will have a lot of cool stuff in it.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • ChrisileinChrisilein Posts: 3,889
    $ 36,50 for shipping to Europe!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
    Thats more than i have payed for the posters...
    up here in my tree in Vienna
    2006: Vienna 2009: Berlin 2010: London ~ Berlin 2012: Amsterdam 1+2 ~ Werchter ~ Arras ~ Berlin 1+2
    2014: Milano ~ Trieste ~ Vienna ~ Berlin 2018: Padova ~ Rome 2022: Budapest ~ Vienna
    EV London/Hammersmith 2012
    EV Berlin/Zitadelle 2017
  • Anyone else get this when they tried to place an order? Got the same error on the desktop and iPhone.

Internal Server Error
    The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, <!-- e --><a href="mailto:webmaster@artillerydesign.com">webmaster@artillerydesign.com</a><!-- e --> and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
    "Fuck the talkin', let's start rocking." - E.V. 9-5-00

8/25/98, 8/21/00, 9/5/00, 4/26/03, 5/3/03, 6/24/03, 9/28/05, 10/03/05, 5/20/06, 6/23/06, EV 8/16/08, EV 6/18/09, 5/20/10, 9/15/11, 10/11/13, 10/27/13, 10/1/14, 8/20/16, 8/22/16, TOTD 11/7/16, 8/18/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 9/11/22, 9/14/22, 8/26/24, 9/12/24, 9/27/24, 9/29/24
  • Anyone else get this when they tried to place an order? Got the same error on the desktop and iPhone.

Internal Server Error
    The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, <!-- e --><a href="mailto:webmaster@artillerydesign.com">webmaster@artillerydesign.com</a><!-- e --> and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

Same problem here this morning, both Firefox & IE
  • Really nice book, and I would love to have it...HOWEVER....shipping cost is $14.90. The book only cost $25.00 makes no sense to pay 1/2 more to ship....There are less costly ways to send a book... the site does not give you a option to ship cheaper....unfortunately, I will not be buying this book at that site....
    demetrios wrote:
    timc wrote:
    BeerBaron wrote:
    I will definitely be picking up a copy!
    me too!! try and have him sign it!

I hope he get's to sell them on his website.
    And the copies sold are signed by the master!

:D

Sweet! 8-)
  • NoelMichaelNoelMichael Posts: 1,630
    Shipping was pretty hefty.. $15 for a softcover book hurts, but I'd readily pay that for a print. This book is like dozens of mini-prints, so I'm all good with that. I'm hoping there's a doodle or handbill or something with the sig
    9-28-96 Randall’s Island NY; 9-01-00 Camden NJ; 7-05-03 Camden NJ; 10-01-04 Reading PA; 10-03-05 Philly PA; 5-27-06 Camden NJ; 5-28-06 Camden NJ; 6-19-08 Camden NJ; 6-20-08 Camden NJ; 6-24-08 NYC NY; 8-7-08 EV Newark, NJ; 6-11-09 EV Philly PA; 6-12-09 EV Philly PA; 10-27-09 Philly PA; 10-28-09 Philly PA; 10-30-09 Philly PA; 10-31-09 Philly PA; 5-15-10 Hartford CT; 5-18-10 Newark NJ; 5-21-10 NYC NY; 6-21-11 EV NYC NY; 6-22-11 EV NYC NY; 6-25-11 EV Philly PA; 7-1-11 EV StL MS; 9-3-11 E Troy WI; 9-4-11 E Troy WI
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,056
    Me too

Anyone else get this when they tried to place an order? Got the same error on the desktop and iPhone.

Internal Server Error

Shipping was pretty hefty.. $15 for a softcover book hurts, but I'd readily pay that for a print. This book is like dozens of mini-prints, so I'm all good with that. I'm hoping there's a doodle or handbill or something with the sig

I'm hoping too! :)
  • +1. 12.90 shipping but im thinking that it will be worth it and will be a nice early christmas gift for myself.
    pdalowsky wrote:
    Me too

Anyone else get this when they tried to place an order? Got the same error on the desktop and iPhone.

Internal Server Error

Does it work now?

Hopefully the international shipping cost's get's fixed. I was charged $25.70 for shipping to Canada for one book purchase. $50.65 total.
  • Went through without a hitch that time.
    "Fuck the talkin', let's start rocking." - E.V. 9-5-00

8/25/98, 8/21/00, 9/5/00, 4/26/03, 5/3/03, 6/24/03, 9/28/05, 10/03/05, 5/20/06, 6/23/06, EV 8/16/08, EV 6/18/09, 5/20/10, 9/15/11, 10/11/13, 10/27/13, 10/1/14, 8/20/16, 8/22/16, TOTD 11/7/16, 8/18/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 9/11/22, 9/14/22, 8/26/24, 9/12/24, 9/27/24, 9/29/24
  • geckogecko Posts: 1,712
    Very nice article, with quotes from Klausen, in Seattle Times:

Brad Klausen, who has created posters for Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains and Built to Spill, has a gorgeous new book of images, "From a Basement in Seattle," inspired by nature, but with a surrealistic edge.
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/thearts/2013516496_basement28.html?syndication=rss
    Just another day to go. Already pre-ordered my copy from BK but tomorrow after work I'll be having my favorite chocolate chip muffin & green tea latte from Starbucks viewing/reading/drooling a copy of the book that will be purchased right next door via Chapters! :D
  • Surprised nobody posted this already, but Brad is going to be @ Elliot Bay Books tomorrow, December 1 @7pm selling & signing his new book.

He's also having a few other signings across the PNW:

-- Wednesday Dec. 1st at 7:00 PM
    Elliot Bay Book Company
    1521 Tenth Ave.
    Seattle, WA

-- Wednesday Dec. 8th at 7:30 PM
    Olympia Timberland Library
    313 8th Ave SE
    Olympia, WA

-- Thursday Dec. 9th 7:30 - 9 PM (with EMEK!)
    Powell's Books on Hawthorne
    3723 SE Hawthorne Blvd.
    Portland, OR

Thursday Dec. 9th 9 - ?
    The Goodfoot
    2845 SE Stark Street
    Portland, OR

-- Friday Dec. 10th at 5:00 PM
    Center For Emerging Media & Digital Arts
    Southern Oregon University
    Ashland, OR
    http://www.mynorthwest.com/category/loc ... -new-book/

Pearl Jam poster artist pens new book

By STEPHANIE KLEIN
    MyNorthwest.com

The man behind Pearl Jam's artwork has a new book featuring many of the posters he's created for the band.

"From a Basement in Seattle: The Poster Art of Brad Klausen" covers 75 different works and provides commentary and sketches to show the development behind each piece.

Klausen told KIRO Radio's Tom Tangney that even though the book is finished, he still sees changes that could be made to each poster.

"I've had friends that have asked me to design tattoos for them and I always say no because I know that if ever I'm hanging out with them, I'll be staring at the tattoo the whole time thinking about how I want to change it or what I would have done differently," he said.

Klausen was Pearl Jam's in-house graphic designer for nine years beginning in 1999. He launched his own design shop, Artillery Design, in 2007 and continues to create posters for Pearl Jam, Built to Spill, Widespread Panic, Queens of the Stone Age, and more.

Klausen said his favorite poster is for a show Pearl Jam played in Dublin. "It's got a Celtic skull on it and a tree that represents the brain of this skull. That's a newer one and one that I'm particularly proud of."

Elliott Bay Book Company in Seattle is hosting Klausen on Wednesday, Dec. 1 at 7:00 p.m. Klausen will also appear at Olympia Timberland Library in Olympia on Wednesday, Dec. 8 at 7:30 p.m.

---

Listen to the interview here: http://www.mynorthwest.com/resources/au ... 0455_1.mp3
  • Dear Santa, I have been very good this year and would love for you to drop in to see Brad Klausen before coming to my house. Cheers
    Has anybody in Canada check their local book store if they have a copy on their book shelves? Chapters Indigo still don't carry any copies here which sucks. Tried a few other book stores & there's nothing. :( Anybody order from amazon.ca & receive a copy yet in the mail?
    Email & website from Amazon.ca say's "This title has not yet been released." Available on Dec 7 2010. A week behind USA's Amazon store. D'oh!
  • Bump30Bump30 Posts: 446
    demetrios wrote:
    Email & website from Amazon.ca say's "This title has not yet been released." Available on Dec 7 2010. A week behind USA's Amazon store. D'oh!

Ordered mine from Amazon.ca today. I'm ok with the late release cause they're super quick with shipping!
    Toronto - 2009
    Hartford - 2010
    Ed Solo - Hartford - 2011
    Toronto X 2, Ottawa & Hamilton - 2011
    Ed Solo - Jacksonville - 2012
    London, Pittsburgh & Buffalo - 2013
    No shows in 2014 :-(
  • VeddermbVeddermb Posts: 381
    demetrios wrote:
    Has anybody in Canada check their local book store if they have a copy on their book shelves? Chapters Indigo still don't carry any copies here which sucks. Tried a few other book stores & there's nothing. :( Anybody order from amazon.ca & receive a copy yet in the mail?

Checked here in the Toronto area and the same thing...none in stock anywhere :cry: ...wanted the Chapters version to read and to save the one I ordered from BK - chapters online has then in stock for order for about $18 plus shipping or buy something else for about $8 and get free shipping...just sucks that it will take a few days to deliver
  • weekapaug19weekapaug19 Posts: 2,292
    Interesting to see the Dublin print is his favorite print. That's the one I'd like to see in person some day out of many of his prints, seems like the detail in that one could be amazing.
  • I went to Brad's presentation last night here in Seattle. The book is absolutely beautiful and you could tell that he was very happy with how it turned out. If you are a fan of Klausen's work I would highly recommend buying this!!! He said that he wished all of his posters could have been included but, due to costs, he had to omit 30 (I believe).

What else... I learned a lot about his art, concepts, process, etc. Random things that come to mind and forgive me/correct me if you know otherwise...

10 Dublin- One of Brad's favorites based on how it all came together. Based on "In My Tree" which he has always wanted to do a poster for, he uses a lot of ancient Celtic symols and imagery: The tree which is a Celtic source of knowledge and wisdom (they say knowledge is a tree)- The tree is turning on the eye making man smarter. Other symbols- the triple spiral at the bottom (another Celtic symbol), and others I don't recall.

isca5xv0na.jpg

08 Viginia Beach- Brad said he had always wanted to draw a battle scene of whale vs. giant squid. He always had it in his head that a giant squid should be massive, big enough to take down your submarine. Va Beach was his opportunity to try this since it's by the water

iscahtor00.jpg

09 Toronto- Inspired by a beautiful canopy of trees he has driven by numerous times here in Seattle. It is natures way of saying 'what do I have to do to show you how beautiful I am'. He said it's amazing how no matter what we build over our landscape, nature has a way of busting through it, penetrating concrete, creating cracks in the foundations we lay, etc. The keys in the posters are the keys to unlock/free us from our burdens.

isca8vpsgt.jpg

OTHER ITEMS OF INTEREST AND QUESTIONS FOR BRAD:

- He does not know if he is doing the Ed Solo Oz posters. He has asked Ed but no response back yet. He has a lot of great ideas for that tour though!!!

Q: What is the typical time frame you are given to create a poster?
    A: Some bands let him know they have a show in a week and ask if I can do something. Most of the time it's a "no". In other circumstances there are 2-3 posters to get done in 2 months which, even given all that time, inevitably it comes down to the last minute and the merchandise people are freaking out. A typical poster takes anywhere from a week to two and a half weeks to make. He said that he has wanted to put some sort of a symbol on each poster that has come down to the last minute where he had to pull an all-nighter which would pretty much be everything in his book!

Q: Are you free to do what you want for posters?
    A: Bands like Pearl Jam are great because they let you do what you want and don't give you any direction at all. For the most part they just let you create and don't influence you on things they want to see. They don't ask you to tie the idea/concept into the city or provide art direction. In a lot of instances the band does not even see the poster until the day of the show. Other bands will be quite the opposite of this. He feels spoiled by Pearl Jam in this regard.

Q: Main influences:
    A: Alphonse Mucha, James Jean, Jeff Soto, M.C. Escher, others mentioned as well.

Q: On a tour do you get to choose which shows you want to do?
    A: Typically they are just assigned out unless an artist chimes in and says they have an idea they want to use for a particular show. In a lot of instances Brad has already done a few posters for a particular city before so he chooses to select a different one that perhaps he has never done. Such is the case with D.C. 06 which Brad really wanted to do.

Bridge School Poster!!! Can't wait to get mine in the coming days- they are starting to get packed and shipped:

photo2zc.jpg

photo1uk.jpg

Much, much, more from last night but back to work for now! :mrgreen:
  • weekapaug19weekapaug19 Posts: 2,292
    in the book, does it explain in detail many of the posters like you mention above (using toronto 09 as an example)?
  • in the book, does it explain in detail many of the posters like you mention above (using toronto 09 as an example)?

There is some detail, maybe not as much as he offered up last night but still quite a bit of detail as well as his concept sketches.