Options

The Golf Thread

Comments

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,540
    Game is in shambles right now.  Need to play more and take lessons.  End of message.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    I played one time on a simulator and one time on the course this year. Playing a par 3 this weekend then have a work outing in a week or so at a solid course. Parenthood is no joke 
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,298
    $25 for the tiger-phil match.  A big ol' LOL
    What wouldn't be an "LOL" for the price, specifically?

I mean don't people pay well more than twice that for fake wrestling? 
    Fair point, but here’s the thing, I’m not a wrestling fan and don’t pay for their ppvs. I am sure this will be a lot of fun and they’ll have a good time and talk horrible shit and someone will win a lot of money, but it’s not golf. Golf exhibitions do not belong on PPV. It’s also a horrible precedent. Again if they were gambling their money I’d be all over it.

As far as the price is concerned—it’s way less than every other pay per view event so I don’t have a problem with that. I wish it wasn’t on pay view in the first place but I couldn’t really give a shit about the other stuff. I think it’s gonna be pretty cool to watch. 
    But golf is not a pay per view sport. It’s bullshit. Skins games, Monday night golf, old school match play all cable or network tv. It’s not pay per view and it’s a stupid fucking money grab and someone is making a shit load of money off fools, without risking anything. 

Whoever came up with it is a genius, oh yeah, let’s put two of the biggest names ever we’ll past their prime on pay per view and winner will take all the money. Nah man. Watch the Ryder cup, it will be a million times better and more exciting 
    Yeah, I think you’re putting waaaaay too much thought into this. 

It’s Tiger vs Phil on Thanksgiving weekend, dude. That’s all. I guarantee not one person is going to prioritize this over the Ryder Cup...that’s a pretty weird assertion there, actually. 
    I’m not. It’s cheesy and a weak money grab. 

Point being, Ryder cup is free and will have about a dozen matches that blow this out of the water.

Gamble your own money at least...it all started with them talking about money games and willing to play for absurd amounts of money, then it turns Into other peoples money. I’d be really fucking interested in that 
    Comparing this to the Ryder Cup, of all things, is pretty absurd, Cliff. 

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Fair point, but here’s the thing, I’m not a wrestling fan and don’t pay for their ppvs. I am sure this will be a lot of fun and they’ll have a good time and talk horrible shit and someone will win a lot of money, but it’s not golf. Golf exhibitions do not belong on PPV. It’s also a horrible precedent. Again if they were gambling their money I’d be all over it.

As far as the price is concerned—it’s way less than every other pay per view event so I don’t have a problem with that. I wish it wasn’t on pay view in the first place but I couldn’t really give a shit about the other stuff. I think it’s gonna be pretty cool to watch. 
    But golf is not a pay per view sport. It’s bullshit. Skins games, Monday night golf, old school match play all cable or network tv. It’s not pay per view and it’s a stupid fucking money grab and someone is making a shit load of money off fools, without risking anything. 

Whoever came up with it is a genius, oh yeah, let’s put two of the biggest names ever we’ll past their prime on pay per view and winner will take all the money. Nah man. Watch the Ryder cup, it will be a million times better and more exciting 

It’s Tiger vs Phil on Thanksgiving weekend, dude. That’s all. I guarantee not one person is going to prioritize this over the Ryder Cup...that’s a pretty weird assertion there, actually. 

Point being, Ryder cup is free and will have about a dozen matches that blow this out of the water.

Gamble your own money at least...it all started with them talking about money games and willing to play for absurd amounts of money, then it turns Into other peoples money. I’d be really fucking interested in that 

Both are match play golf that are exhibitions, one is basically free, the other is not. 
  • Options

Both are match play golf that are exhibitions, one is basically free, the other is not. 
    I remember Rory getting hammered over calling the Ryder Cup an exhibition back in the day. I mean technically it is but it obviously has much deeper meaning to people than just being an exhibition. That's nonsense.

If you notice, I'm not disagreeing with you in that this is a money grab, silly, and should be on regular tv. But... I just don't give a shit. It's golf in November between two of the best players of their era and I think it sounds like it will be fun to watch. Don't overthink it. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

I remember Rory getting hammered over calling the Ryder Cup an exhibition back in the day. I mean technically it is but it obviously has much deeper meaning to people than just being an exhibition. That's nonsense.

If you notice, I'm not disagreeing with you in that this is a money grab, silly, and should be on regular tv. But... I just don't give a shit. It's golf in November between two of the best players of their era and I think it sounds like it will be fun to watch. Don't overthink it. 
    People get mad about everything. Tiger got hammered for saying that no one remembers what you do in Ryder Cups, they just remember majors.  He's not wrong.  Anyone know Jack's Ryder Cup record? I sure don't.  At the end of the day it is an exhibition, a all-star game of sorts, but with extreme pride given the history, rivalry and what it is.  That said, I love it as much as pretty much anything else in sports.

It would be fun to watch, if it was on regular tv. haha.
  • Options
    Playing a wide open links style course today. Fitting that it's overcast, windy, with spotty showers out there....
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,478
    fuck tiger.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    I played one time on a simulator and one time on the course this year. Playing a par 3 this weekend then have a work outing in a week or so at a solid course. Parenthood is no joke 

Yep. I've played twice this year...this whole parenting thing sure gets in the way of golf.  One guy I know has a regular Saturday morning tee time at a course that they split amongst 10-12 guys.....works out pretty well considering how busy everyone gets during the summer. Would like to do something like that in the future to assure I'm at least playing a few times per year. 
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,767
    I quit golfing for about 15 years to spend the time playing softball. I knew I would start playing golf when i "retired" from softball. This spring, I got a new golf bag, new driver, new (nice) putter, new irons and 2 dozen PRO-V1.

It's my first year not playing mens softball this summer!

Since November, I have worked 1 week of 48 hours, 1 week of 56 hours, 1 week of 59 hours...and every other week 60- 81 hours. I don't have kids, but that's a lot of time at work. All the money spent, and I have gone to the driving range once back in April. 

"A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    I play on an amateur tour and I had a tournament yesterday. At the end of the day I was tied for 1st with 2 other guys so we go to a sudden death playoff. It's getting dark so the official says that if no one wins the hole outright we'll go to a scorecard playoff. The third guy bogeys the hole and me and the other guy par. We go to the scorecard and they use the back 9 as the tie breaker. He beat me by one shot on the back 9 so I lose and come in 2nd.

I hate that it couldn't be decided by us continuing to play head to head but that's how the cards fall sometimes. I should've executed better throughout the round.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,478

Yep. I've played twice this year...this whole parenting thing sure gets in the way of golf.  One guy I know has a regular Saturday morning tee time at a course that they split amongst 10-12 guys.....works out pretty well considering how busy everyone gets during the summer. Would like to do something like that in the future to assure I'm at least playing a few times per year. 

my dad never let parenting get in the way of his golf. that’s what my mom was for! :lol:

I would also bet he was burning heaters when I popped out of the birth canal.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Aronimink this week! I will be down there on Friday. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    bflynn1 said:
    I play on an amateur tour and I had a tournament yesterday. At the end of the day I was tied for 1st with 2 other guys so we go to a sudden death playoff. It's getting dark so the official says that if no one wins the hole outright we'll go to a scorecard playoff. The third guy bogeys the hole and me and the other guy par. We go to the scorecard and they use the back 9 as the tie breaker. He beat me by one shot on the back 9 so I lose and come in 2nd.

I hate that it couldn't be decided by us continuing to play head to head but that's how the cards fall sometimes. I should've executed better throughout the round.

That's brutal.  What amateur tour do you play on?
  • Options
    bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    bflynn1 said:

That's brutal.  What amateur tour do you play on?
    Just my local branch of the Golf Channel tour
  • Options
    Saturday for me. Wanted to go to a lot more, but can't swing it right about now.  Can't wait though. Have a decent crew going and the wife is taking the baby to the shore for the weekend.
  • Options
    Tiger Woods is a Ryder Cup player in 2018.  Let that sink in for a minute.
  • Options
    Saturday for me. Wanted to go to a lot more, but can't swing it right about now.  Can't wait though. Have a decent crew going and the wife is taking the baby to the shore for the weekend.
    How are you getting there? If you drive, it looks like they make you park all the way out in Oaks and then they bus you in from there. At least for Thursday and Friday. So annoying.

Frustrating thing is my brother lives just 5 minutes away from the course but he's in an apartment and there's no place I can park there (and leave car there all day without fear of getting towed).
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    How are you getting there? If you drive, it looks like they make you park all the way out in Oaks and then they bus you in from there. At least for Thursday and Friday. So annoying.

Frustrating thing is my brother lives just 5 minutes away from the course but he's in an apartment and there's no place I can park there (and leave car there all day without fear of getting towed).
    Was supposed to get a ride with a buddy who has a spot in the bmw lot but too many people going now to fit. Either gonna uber to wherever that location is or pay for the better parking, but I think that’s only on the weekend. Oaks is so far out of the way for me. No shot 
  • Options

Was supposed to get a ride with a buddy who has a spot in the bmw lot but too many people going now to fit. Either gonna uber to wherever that location is or pay for the better parking, but I think that’s only on the weekend. Oaks is so far out of the way for me. No shot 
    Man I really want to uber it in but I'm not sure the father in law wants to go that route.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Man I really want to uber it in but I'm not sure the father in law wants to go that route.
    Yeah, the Oaks parking absolutely blows.  I did Uber at Oakmont and it was crazy easy and quick.  It was a much bigger pain in the ass at he President's Cup, but think that was more of a limitation of Jersey City.  Sounds like we are probably taking a different car and using the spot in the BMW lot, which would be sweet.  We'll see. 
  • Options
    Tiger is back to the Scotty.  Not ideal...not ideal.
  • Options
    Tiger is back to the Scotty.  Not ideal...not ideal.
    and a 29. What the hell do I know?
  • Options
    Alright Tiger, don't give anything back the last 5-6 holes. 
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,767
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    Tee times pushed up due to bad weather later in the day. A lot of guys out before 8am.
  • Options

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,891

forgot this was right down the road from me in newton square.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options

Forget Tiger. Now what hole is that? Because it is glorious. Short'ish par 4 (?), elevated and protected green with a lot of risk reward up there.  Looks like he was hitting driver.
  • Options

Forget Tiger. Now what hole is that? Because it is glorious. Short'ish par 4 (?), elevated and protected green with a lot of risk reward up there.  Looks like he was hitting driver.
    Yeah man. That was 11. He birdied this one
    chinese-happy.jpg