16yrl GIRL went around the world in a small boat.

Comments

• Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,989
    Just read the story, unfortunately things are looking pretty grim when her reported whereabouts are "somewhere between South Africa and Australia". Hope this works out

From the other articles I read, she set off her EPIRB in the southern Indian Ocean, and that her boat most likely hasn't sunk because another beacon signal would have went off if the boat submerged below 15 feet. Apparently two rescue planes are approximately 40 hours away from her from the time of the story. Unless she drowns from the swells, I think there's a good chance she could survive.
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,870
    well..that's AOL news for ya
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    I'm all for travelling and sailing, but what motivates people to do this dangerous stuff? Climb Everest, sail around the world by themselves, etc.

I've read its an adrenaline defeciancy or something along those lines.
    I'm all for travelling and sailing, but what motivates people to do this dangerous stuff? Climb Everest, sail around the world, etc.

I hike for the challenge and sense of accomplishment, I can see why people would want to do this.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    I'm all for travelling and sailing, but what motivates people to do this dangerous stuff? Climb Everest, sail around the world by themselves, etc.

Ego or the thrill.
    edited June 2010
    I'm all for travelling and sailing, but what motivates people to do this dangerous stuff? Climb Everest, sail around the world, etc.

I hike for the challenge and sense of accomplishment, I can see why people would want to do this.
    I get that. I hike, run too. but when you set out to hike, do you do so knowing there's a good chance you could die?
    Post edited by LikeAnOcean on

I hear people on this, but I think it comes along with a lifestyle too. Friends of mine think I'm insane for wanting to sail around the world. Of course, I'm probably about 5-10 years away from doing so, or at least attempting to doing so. I think there's certain accomplishments in life that don't give the same satisfaction as a bonus at a corporate job or making a big sale. To some, I think people see life accomplishments on a grander scale. I personally would like to do it because of the incredible experience, and like I said - it's a lifestyle. If heaven forbid it would be the way I died, then maybe so be it. I don't say that to be morbid, but we all have to go someway and if it's doing what you love then so be it.

I get that. I hike, run too. but when you set out to hike, do you do so knowing there's a good chance you could die?

there's always the risk of getting lost from the trail, tracked down by a cougar, or running into a bear cub
    PS - I would love for this conversation to keep going. I love this shit.

there's always the risk of getting lost from the trail, tracked down by a cougar, or running into a bear cub
    Well, if you say it that way.. I'm from the midwest and the biggest danger is getting attacked by a skunk or rabified coyote. lol

But still, animal attacks are rare. Very rare. If a hundred people did what she did every year I can gauruntee you many of them would not survive. 100 hikers go hiking, maybe .00001% of them die.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,741
    I would love to be able to sail around the world and would also love to climb everest. Chances of either happening are .0000000001% although I talk about it all the time.

Dying at sea or on Everest would be a pretty painful and shitty way to go though.

Well, if you say it that way.. I'm from the midwest and the biggest danger is getting attacked by a skunk or rabified coyote. lol

But still, animal attacks are rare. Very rare. If a hundred people did what she did every year I can gauruntee you many of them would not survive. 100 hikers go hiking, maybe .00001% of them die.

how does .00001% of them die out of 100 hikers?
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I would love to be able to sail around the world and would also love to climb everest. Chances of either happening are .0000000001% although I talk about it all the time.

Dying at sea or on Everest would be a pretty painful and shitty way to go though.
    I would sail around the world too, but with companians and a big ship with lots of resources.

There's just some trouble stirring when people does these things solo..

Yeah, and with experience and knowledge the risk of death at sea greatly diminish. Though - and I say this with complete confidence - every sailor knows that they are not in control when at sea. It's no longer up to them.
    edited June 2010

how does .00001% of them die out of 100 hikers?
    100 hikers go hiking a thousand times and one dies in those thousand hikes the hundred do.. I'm just throwing numbers up. I don't know exacts. Just making a point.

I should have said 1 in 100,000 hikers or something..
    Post edited by LikeAnOcean on
    The biggest problem here is age - and like I said, the experience that goes along with it. I think Abby wanted to do this to break a record because in the Southern Hemisphere it is a very rough time to travel. She should have planned her trip for a different time. She should have made this passage sometime in January.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,275
    I can see letting your kids do challengin things but no way do i let my daughter do something like this at all ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • AusticmanAusticman Posts: 1,323
    There's a young America girl missing off the West Coast of Australia at the moment.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/106791 ... een-sailor
    I can't go the library anymore, everyone STINKS!!
    Austicman wrote:
    There's a young America girl missing off the West Coast of Australia at the moment.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/106791 ... een-sailor

That's what we've been talking about...
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    Being a new Father to a baby girl this is just ridiculous to let her do this

Most parents grapple with letting them drive a car let alone something like this

Pure insanity on the parents part
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    They found her. She's fine.
  • theoceansmademetheoceansmademe Posts: 1,132
    I understand setting goals and obtaining them, but this story and situation falls into the look at me category.

Her brother sailed around the world solo at age 17 and she goes to top him.

What does it cost to sail around the world? I am guessing $500,000 or more. What family can afford this two times?

I realize sponsors are involved but can't the money be used for better things?

Magellan sailing around the world in 1519 is a great accomplishment. In a wooden ship using the stars as navigation.

Not some bored 16 year old obtaining an expensive boat outfitted with GPS and carrying a satellite phone.

My feeling is she wanted to sail the world alone then find your back now. Don't rely the resources of others to save your ass.

Hopefully this kid will set some real goals latter in life that will result in a true test of oneself.

Run a marathon, run an ultra, do a triathlon.

There's no emergency button in these challenges.

I hope she gets a search and rescue bill.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,275
    Glad she has been found and appears to be fine , i would think this family got very lucky i hope it puts and end to her quest for the time being ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    Good read about around the world sailing and how challenging it is.

http://www.amazon.com/Voyage-Madmen-Peter-Nichols/dp/0060957034
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    Being a new Father to a baby girl this is just ridiculous to let her do this

Most parents grapple with letting them drive a car let alone something like this

Pure insanity on the parents part

Congrats to you and your new baby !!! I know how you feel - the pain of letting go is very difficult. My daughter is now 12 yrs old - yikes -
    ********************************************************************************************* image
    So glad - she was found - :thumbup:
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    Big deal. I've put several children, much younger than 16, in boats and pushed them out to sea.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    sailing is actually not that dangerous if you know what you are doing ... but that's a big IF ... and in her case - you gotta wonder why her advisors would allow her to be sailing the southern indian ocean at this time of year ... makes no sense ...
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    eyedclaar wrote:
    Big deal. I've put several children, much younger than 16, in boats and pushed them out to sea.

Can I trouble you to baby sit?
    eyedclaar wrote:

:lol: You know - some days I'm beginning to feel the same way !!!! My daughter just started listening to the "twilight" soundtrack that her girlfriend gave to her. - I've got the biggest headache.