16yrl GIRL went around the world in a small boat.

JoJo Posts: 2,098
edited June 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Welcome Home Jessica Watson :clap: :wave: :thumbup:

I was one of the skeptics who thought she should NOT do it, but as a mother, that was my first instinct.
I was one of the skeptics who thought we would be plucking her out of the ocean.
Thank God she has arrived home safely, phew! :D
Welcome home Jessica,

How BIG are this chick's BALLS?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    Has she just arrive home?!

I have a 16 year old niece......who can barely make herself a vegemite sandwich!!

Go Jessica! :clap::clap:
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • Cinnamon GirlCinnamon Girl Posts: 1,854
    Wow! I never heard about this! :o

She has officially received badass status. 8-)
    05-10-06, 08-05-07, 06-14-08 , 08-12-08(EV), 06-11-09(EV), 06-12-09(EV), 08-21-09, 05-10-10, 09-11-11, 09-12-11, 07-16-13, 07-19-13, 10-12-13, 10-21-13, 10-22-13,
  • JoJo Posts: 2,098
    She arrives on land tomorrow, but she's in Australian waters, so we know she's home :D:clap:
    Jo wrote:
    She arrives on land tomorrow, but she's in Australian waters, so we know she's home :D:clap:

Yeah...I heard she's arriving tomorrow....thought I must have heard wrongly.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    WOOHOO!!! JESSICA WATSON.
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    Jo wrote:

Yeah...I heard she's arriving tomorrow....thought I must have heard wrongly.

you heard right zig. tomorrow she sails into the greatest city on earth after the greatest adventure.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say

but check this bullshit.............

.... apparently shes not old enough to be offically recognised as the youngest person ever to circumnavigate the world without assistance. you have to ne 18 yrs old at least.... what kind of idiot thought up this stipulation.. men i bet.

anyhoo.. jessica is a legend.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027

.... apparently shes not old enough to be offically recognised as the youngest person ever to circumnavigate the world without assistance. you have to ne 18 yrs old at least.... what kind of idiot thought up this stipulation.. men i bet.

I'm sure that will be changed after this.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    can i bring the who club in here?

who

Some chick who rode a shark around the world. Big deal. I did that when I was 5.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • he still standshe still stands Posts: 2,835

according to who? I think reality is probably a better indicator than some weird stipulation set by an organization somewhere.
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.

according to who? I think reality is probably a better indicator than some weird stipulation set by an organization somewhere.

oh for sure.. thats why since i heard this ive been saying fuck off thats bullshit a lot.

she did what she did and no one can take that away from her.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    I heard some other crap about her not travelling far enough...? Jessie Martin travelled further or something or other so she doesn't deserve it!? Like fuck!! Everyone said she couldn't do it...but she did it!!!

I also read that NZ is trying to claim her as theirs because her grandparents are kiwis! haha Ahhhh....I shouldn't laugh....good chance I'm moving to NZ next year! :o
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    I heard some other crap about her not travelling far enough...? Jessie Martin travelled further or something or other so she doesn't deserve it!? Like fuck!! Everyone said she couldn't do it...but she did it!!!

I also read that NZ is trying to claim her as theirs because her grandparents are kiwis! haha Ahhhh....I shouldn't laugh....good chance I'm moving to NZ next year! :o

yeah i heard that bullshit about her not having travelled far enough... im wondering whether magellan or whoever had a specific milegae quota??? it also made me think of that dick steve fossett and how he circumnavigated the globe and at the time me thinking well shit he doesnt seem to have travelled far enough for my liking. :lol:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    congratulations jessica!! ... if i was anywhere close to sydney - i would be celebrating with you! ... this is truly a remarkable feat ... beyond the physical aspect of this accomplishment ... the mental fortitude to survive out there for almost 200 days is incredible ...

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    polaris_x wrote:
    congratulations jessica!! ... if i was anywhere close to sydney - i would be celebrating with you! ... this is truly a remarkable feat ... beyond the physical aspect of this accomplishment ... the mental fortitude to survive out there for almost 200 days is incredible ...

indeed.

if the zoemonster didnt have a party to attend at noon tomorrow she and i would be down on the harbour acknowledging what a great feat this is... for man or women let alone a teenager.

HAIL HAIL JESS WATSON
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    polaris_x wrote:

Agreed!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V

It isn't her age that keeps her from being recognised, it's because some ' SAIL WORLD WEBSITE' says if she didn't cover 21,600 nautical miles, she didn't go ALL the way around the world.
    Bullshit, she left Sydney and went East around the world, and she didn't stop until she hit Sydney again,
    That says Around the world to me....
    Seems like the people who make up the rules have smaller balls and even smaller brains than Jessica, lets see THEM do it!
    Jo wrote:

It isn't her age that keeps her from being recognised, it's because some ' SAIL WORLD WEBSITE' says if she didn't cover 21,600 nautical miles, she didn't go ALL the way around the world.
    Bullshit, she left Sydney and went East around the world, and she didn't stop until she hit Sydney again,
    That says Around the world to me....
    Seems like the people who make up the rules have smaller balls and even smaller brains than Jessica, lets see THEM do it!

its both her age and the fact they reckon she didnt cover enough miles. apparently. :roll: two different records.

but jessica said records arent why she did it. she said she did it cause it was something she felt she needed to do. and as far as im concerned thats the only reason to do anything.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    I'm really hoping Jessica spends her new found fame on premoting The Red Cross, Royal Flying Doctors, Good Samaritians, The Wiggles and others of thier ilk.
    Jo wrote:
    I'm really hoping Jessica spends her new found fame on premoting The Red Cross, Royal Flying Doctors, Good Samaritians, The Wiggles and others of thier ilk.

i really dont think the wiggles need any more promoting.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • dottlesdottles Posts: 9,140
    Amazing achievement.

I was at the reception for Ellen Macarthur when she came back after her round the world trip and the atmosphere was amazing. I was very lucky and able to board her boat for a look around a few days after, it was a big yacht, but with tiny living quarters, I really don't know how she coped!
    2009 - Manchester. 2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter. 2011 - PJ20 i & ii, Montreal, Toronto i & ii, Ottawa, Hamilton. 
    2012 - Manchester i & ii, Berlin i & ii, Stockholm. 2014 - Amsterdam i & ii, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
    2016 - Boston Fenway i & ii, 2018 - Amsterdam i & ii, Pinkpop, London i & ii, Padova, Krakow, Barcelona, Seattle i & ii. 
  • FrannyFranny Posts: 2,054
    WOW what an achievement. smiley-happy036.gifGotta give it to her she has more determination and grit that most people placed on this planet...and in her own age group, she simply outclasses them all.
    Admitedly when she first started I couldn't imagine ever watching my own child do that, but the admiration I have for her is more that I have ever had for a teenager. Watching her on the tv this morning was awesome, would have loved to have been there, but the mother emotion in me took over when she stepped off the boat onto the pontoon at the Opera House and I was bawling like a baby! :oops: So I can only image how her family was feeling.
    But way to Jessica, may you continue to kick arse! smiley-happy105.gif
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    Crazy badass

I heard that whoever verifies the age record quit doin that sorta thing. I figure to stop a person too young to do it.

I can kinda see the thing about her not travelling around the world. If she cut as perfect a latitudinal circle as the trek would allow, that would take ALOT of miles off. There should definitely be a minimum number of miles for the record to be legit.

How many miles did she travel?
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    this thread is useless without pics
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,038
    DewieCox wrote:
    Crazy badass

I heard that whoever verifies the age record quit doin that sorta thing. I figure to stop a person too young to do it.

I can kinda see the thing about her not travelling around the world. If she cut as perfect a latitudinal circle as the trek would allow, that would take ALOT of miles off. There should definitely be a minimum number of miles for the record to be legit.

How many miles did she travel?
    um lets see, travel from start in one place to stop at same place in boat, sounds like around the world to me. I would tend to think if the line was close to the Sydney logitudinal line , then yeah I see your point. But the southern Pacific is no joke as I'm sure the southern Indian Ocean isn't either.Still , it's one hell of an achievement.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    This feat is something special.

'Alone' in a small boat, that needs constantly ' Sailed' ...against the AWESOME OCEAN for 7 months non-stop.
    and she's a 16 yrld GIRL!!
    Just like that young woman who was the first to fly her plane around the world....Amelia?

" Awesome 8-) "

I want to do roller derby :lolno:
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    i hope she's alright! she's not in a great place for Search and Rescue ... :(

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=5272149

Sunderland, 16, reportedly in troubleEmail Print Comments271 ESPN.com news services

Abby Sunderland, a 16-year-old attempting to circumnavigate the globe by herself in a sailboat, is feared lost at sea, according to ABCNews.com.

[+] EnlargeAP Photo/Richard Hartog
    Abby Sunderland, pictured in January about to leave on her solo trip, is feared lost at sea.
    Sunderland activated two emergency beacons between 7 and 9 a.m. ET Thursday, her mother, MaryAnne, told ABCNews.

An engineer on Sunderland's support team, Jeff Casher, said the beacons indicate that she is in trouble. He said that he last talked with Sunderland at about 9 a.m. ET, when she told him she had been knocked down twice because of strong winds. The wind ripped the radar off the boat, Casher said.

MaryAnne Sunderland told ABCNews that her daughter was in 20- to 25-foot waves off the coast of Madagascar. She is about 500 miles north of the Antarctic Islands.

Her last blog entry Wednesday night said she had encountered some rough weather. "The wind is beginning to pick up. It is back up to 20 knots and I am expecting that by midnight tonight I could have 35-50 knots with gusts to 60 so I am off to sleep before it really picks up," she wrote on her blog.

Sunderland, who is from Thousand Oaks, Calif., left from Marina del Rey on Jan. 24. Her 40-foot boat is called "Wild Eyes."

Sunderland was trying to become the youngest person to circumnavigate the globe solo, nonstop and unassisted. That hope ended when she had to stop in Cape Town, South Africa, for repairs.

But instead of returning home, she continued the voyage.

Australia's Jessica Watson, 16, became the youngest to achieve the feat May 15 when she sailed into Sydney Harbour after a 210-day journey.

Australia's Jesse Martin had been the previous record-holder, completing the journey in 1999 at the age of 18.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,989
    polaris_x wrote:
    i hope she's alright! she's not in a great place for Search and Rescue ... :(

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=5272149

Sunderland, 16, reportedly in troubleEmail Print Comments271 ESPN.com news services

Abby Sunderland, a 16-year-old attempting to circumnavigate the globe by herself in a sailboat, is feared lost at sea, according to ABCNews.com.

[+] EnlargeAP Photo/Richard Hartog
    Abby Sunderland, pictured in January about to leave on her solo trip, is feared lost at sea.
    Sunderland activated two emergency beacons between 7 and 9 a.m. ET Thursday, her mother, MaryAnne, told ABCNews.

An engineer on Sunderland's support team, Jeff Casher, said the beacons indicate that she is in trouble. He said that he last talked with Sunderland at about 9 a.m. ET, when she told him she had been knocked down twice because of strong winds. The wind ripped the radar off the boat, Casher said.

MaryAnne Sunderland told ABCNews that her daughter was in 20- to 25-foot waves off the coast of Madagascar. She is about 500 miles north of the Antarctic Islands.

Her last blog entry Wednesday night said she had encountered some rough weather. "The wind is beginning to pick up. It is back up to 20 knots and I am expecting that by midnight tonight I could have 35-50 knots with gusts to 60 so I am off to sleep before it really picks up," she wrote on her blog.

Sunderland, who is from Thousand Oaks, Calif., left from Marina del Rey on Jan. 24. Her 40-foot boat is called "Wild Eyes."

Sunderland was trying to become the youngest person to circumnavigate the globe solo, nonstop and unassisted. That hope ended when she had to stop in Cape Town, South Africa, for repairs.

But instead of returning home, she continued the voyage.

Australia's Jessica Watson, 16, became the youngest to achieve the feat May 15 when she sailed into Sydney Harbour after a 210-day journey.

Australia's Jesse Martin had been the previous record-holder, completing the journey in 1999 at the age of 18.

Just got this in my Blue Water Sailing update on FB. Sucks. Hopefully they find her alive. I followed her brother Zac's trip around the world last year.
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,870
    Just read the story, unfortunately things are looking pretty grim when her reported whereabouts are "somewhere between South Africa and Australia". Hope this works out
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg