Options

MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• Options
    Poncier said:
    Wonder how many of the walks to Bonds were intentional.
    Pitchers/managers just refused to pitch to him for a long stretch
    688 out of the 2,558 were intentional. 

Second-most intentional walks is Pulos with 311. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,465
    Donnie was a great defensive 1B but I've never heard a non yankee/Mattingly homer declare that he is the best ever defensive 1B.  Have heard lots of people say that about 11 time gold glover Hernandez.

One of my favorite all time players is Ken Griffey Jr.  
    Your bad back comment is like me claiming Griffey would have rewritten the record books if not for injuries.   I might think that, but it doesn't matter
      Injuries are part of the game and when measuring up players I think we have to utilize what actually happened, not what could have happened.

The Mets at the time were a little more popular than the Yankees because of the World Series and playoff appearances. But I have heard non Yankees fans say he was the best ever. He did have 9 gg. And I said they were both equal defensively. I said Mattingly was the better hitter. Also you can and should take into consideration injuries if that player has at least a good track record. Keith was probably the better bases on ball player. 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Poncier said:

I think he had 200 walks in one year?

Just checked, he did and had 198 another year.  The year he had 200bb he was intentionally walked 120 times...

What else is crazy is he only led the league in RBI's and runs once.  HR twice.  Damn stat compiler...
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,258
    Poncier said:

What else is crazy is he only led the league in RBI's and runs once.  HR twice.  Damn stat compiler...
    14 time all-star, 7-time MVP. The most feared hitter in MLB for several seasons, probably a decade (the IBB numbers clearly back that up), something nobody would ever say about Palmeiro.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    I'm almost tired of debating it. I say let everyone in that graphic in. We can asterisk their Hall of Fame bio to include the bad shit.

"Here's Curt Schilling, a pretty darn good pitcher and one of the greatest ever in the postseason. Then when he retired he continued to open his mouth and look like an asshole."

"Here's Rafael Palmeiro. Not many baseball players have 3000 hits and 500 HR, but Rafael does. He also lied to congress about steroid use."

"Here's Barry Bonds. Everyone says 'He was a Hall of Famer before he juiced' to justify not putting him in the Hall of Fame. Holy contradiction, Batman! Fuck everyone, Barry Bonds is the greatest of all time."
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110
    Poncier said:
    And apparently the answer is 688.
    That's crazy, intentionally walked almost 700 times in his career.
    That's the all-time leader for IBB. And that's not even counting the "unintentional intentional walk".
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:

14 time all-star, 7-time MVP. The most feared hitter in MLB for several seasons, probably a decade (the IBB numbers clearly back that up), something nobody would ever say about Palmeiro.
    You missed my sarcasm, lol.  I already admitted Bonds was the best hitter I have ever seen.
  • Options
    I'm almost tired of debating it. I say let everyone in that graphic in. We can asterisk their Hall of Fame bio to include the bad shit.

"Here's Curt Schilling, a pretty darn good pitcher and one of the greatest ever in the postseason. Then when he retired he continued to open his mouth and look like an asshole."

"Here's Rafael Palmeiro. Not many baseball players have 3000 hits and 500 HR, but Rafael does. He also lied to congress about steroid use."

"Here's Barry Bonds. Everyone says 'He was a Hall of Famer before he juiced' to justify not putting him in the Hall of Fame. Holy contradiction, Batman! Fuck everyone, Barry Bonds is the greatest of all time."
    Bravo!
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:
    That visual of Palmeiro pointing his finger and lying to Congress will stick with him forever and should keep him out of the Hall.
    Dude could hit though.

Hell I want Arod in too though.
    Meh. Stat compiler. Only 4 time all-star in 20-year career. The 3 full seasons before he obviously got on the juice, he hit 8, 8 and 14 HR. So not a case like Bonds or Clemens where they were sure fire HOF'ers before juicing, this guy would have hit like 200-250 career HR in 20 years without 'roids.

Again, screw him.
      So you think he juiced then magically hit 4-5x as many homers?  It was that easy?

C'mon...
    Ask Brady Anderson.
    One time he did that, not for a career.  again, c'mon...
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:
    That visual of Palmeiro pointing his finger and lying to Congress will stick with him forever and should keep him out of the Hall.
    Dude could hit though.

Meh. Stat compiler. Only 4 time all-star in 20-year career. The 3 full seasons before he obviously got on the juice, he hit 8, 8 and 14 HR. So not a case like Bonds or Clemens where they were sure fire HOF'ers before juicing, this guy would have hit like 200-250 career HR in 20 years without 'roids.

Again, screw him.
    Hank Aaron must have been a stat compiler too then.
    21 time all-star, 1 MVP, career HR leader when he retired, still the career RBI leader and total bases leader...we're comparing apples to watermelons when we try and compare Hank Aaron to Rafael F'in Palmeiro, you can do better.
    You just don't get my jokes huh?

Rafael is not a stat compiler though...  500 and 3000?  Shit, who else has that?

The other compilers are Aaron, as I mentioned before, the most egregious of them all, Arod, Pujols, Mays and Cabrera and some scrub named Murray.

Say what you want, that is some crazy stats.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,751
    edited November 2022
    Nvm
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,530
    I don't think being an off-the-field jerk should have an impact on HoF. Schilling should be in.

On field stuff like performance enhancement or gambling is a different story IMO.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    Schilling is a borderline HOF to me.  His WAR certainly puts him in.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385

LOL
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Let's chat Free Agency..  Trea Turner and Rizzo stay.

Buehler is out for the year so do they pick up another pitcher?

Angels need a whole lot of help.  If that team is healthy they can hit.  Pitching?  well now...  It's time to bring some of them drafted on up.  They also need to be better or Ohtani will be bolting.
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:
    Dude could hit though.

Again, screw him.
      So you think he juiced then magically hit 4-5x as many homers?  It was that easy?

C'mon...
    Ask Brady Anderson.
    The one year he took steroids.
  • Options
    Andy Pettitte should be in. Over 100 games above .500. Good post season numbers with 5 World Series rings.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    Andy Pettitte should be in. Over 100 games above .500. Good post season numbers with 5 World Series rings.
    His 3.85 career ERA works against him. only 2 guys in HOF higher.
    He's essentially Jack Morris (one of the aforementioned 2 at 3.90), but with the stank of steroids on him. If he was never associated with PEDs (or maybe I should say if his dad was never associated, lol), he'd have gotten in barely. 
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    igotid88 said:
    He's essentially Jack Morris (one of the aforementioned 2 at 3.90), but with the stank of steroids on him. If he was never associated with PEDs (or maybe I should say if his dad was never associated, lol), he'd have gotten in barely. 
    It was HGH
    I miss igotid88
  • Options

Angels need a whole lot of help.  If that team is healthy they can hit.  Pitching?  well now...  It's time to bring some of them drafted on up.  They also need to be better or Ohtani will be bolting.
    Bogarts to the Phillies hopefully. Maybe Turner if they can't get Bogarts. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:
    Dude could hit though.

Again, screw him.

C'mon...
    Ask Brady Anderson.
    The one year he took steroids.
    That's fair.  I buy that.
  • Options

Boston let's him go?  Damn.  Do the Phillies move Stott to another position or trade him outright?
  • Options

Boston let's him go?  Damn.  Do the Phillies move Stott to another position or trade him outright?
    He hasn't officially left Boston yet but it seems to be inevitable. The Phillies didn't pick up Seagura's option so Stott could maybe move to 2nd base if the Phillies signed a shortstop. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options

He had an opt out and exercised it.
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    Poncier said:
    igotid88 said:
    It was HGH
    Oh, so I guess Saint Andy should be in the HOF then. Only HGH, no advantage there.
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,470
    edited November 2022
    Poncier said:
    Dude could hit though.

None of those guys can get in before Bonds though. Great as A-Rod was, Bonds was better by a very large margin. 
    I would lead to agree.  Bonds and Arod are the 2 best batters I have ever seen.  First ten years of Pujols is third and first ten years of Big Hurt is 4th.

Yes Bonds was better.  I have and most likely will never see the likes of what he did again.
    For hitters I  would Pujols ahead of A-Rod , and Manny Ramirez. 
    Post edited by cutz on
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,470

My guess if Turner leaves the LAD he'll be a Philly. He can leadoff for them too. 

Bogaerts doesn't get resigned Boston fans are gonna lose it. But, they also NEED to sign Devers long-term. Should be interesting what the Sox do overall this Winter. 
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,218
    cutz said:

My guess if Turner leaves the LAD he'll be a Philly. He can leadoff for them too. 

Bogaerts doesn't get resigned Boston fans are gonna lose it. But, they also NEED to sign Devers long-term. Should be interesting what the Sox do overall this Winter. 
    Turner's wife is best friends with Harper's wife.  Good chance Turner ends up in Philly unless someone blows him away with money.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,605
    pjhawks said:
    cutz said:

Turner's wife is best friends with Harper's wife.  Good chance Turner ends up in Philly unless someone blows him away with money.
    This is always my favorite narrative. So and so is friends with so and so. Every free agent is going where they get paid the most, period 
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,218
    pjhawks said:
    cutz said:

This is always my favorite narrative. So and so is friends with so and so. Every free agent is going where they get paid the most, period 
    Good chance Turner ends up in Philly