Options

MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    To be honest, they could miss the first 40 games of the year and the season would still be about 20 games too long.

While I do agree the season is too long, this lockout under the guise of the owners having trouble making a profit is laughable.  

• Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    commissioner-letter-header

To Our Fans:

I had hoped against hope that I would not have to be in the position of canceling games. We worked hard to avoid an outcome that is bad for our fans, bad for our players and bad for our clubs.

I want to assure our fans that our failure to reach an agreement was not due to a lack of effort on the part of either party. The Players came here for nine days, worked hard and tried to make a deal. I appreciate their effort.

Our committee of Club representatives committed to the process, offered compromise after compromise, and hung in past the deadline to exhaust all efforts to reach an agreement.

So far, we have failed to achieve our mutual goal of a fair deal. The unfortunate thing is that the agreement we have offered has huge benefits for fans and players.

We have listened to the Players Association throughout this process. A primary goal of the Players Association has been to increase pay for younger players. As I have said previously, we agree and share that goal. We offered to raise the minimum salary to $700,000, an increase of $130,000 from 2021. We offered to create an annual bonus pool of $30 million for the very best young players. In total, we are offering a 33% raise to nearly two-thirds of Major League players and adding more than $100 million annually in additional compensation for younger players.

The proposal also addressed player and fan concerns about issues like service time and competitive issues. Baseball would for the first time have a draft lottery -- the most aggressive in professional sports. Also, for the first time ever, we agreed to an incentive system to encourage clubs to promote top prospects to their Opening Day rosters. We also proposed that the first andsecond-place finishers in the Rookie of the Year voting in each league would receive a full year of service.

The MLBPA asked to make free agency more robust. For the first time ever, we agreed to eliminate direct draft pick compensation, a change the MLBPA has sought for decades. On the Competitive Balance Tax, we offered a significantly larger first-year increase than in the last two agreements, bearing in mind that the Competitive Balance Tax is the only mechanism in the agreement that protects some semblance of a level playing field among clubs.

The International Draft would have more fairly allocated talent among the clubs and reduced abuses in some international markets.

We also listened to our fans. The expanded playoffs would bring the excitement of meaningful September baseball and postseason baseball to fans in more of our markets. While we preferred a 14-team format, when the format became a significant obstacle, we listened to the players’ concerns, and offered to compromise by accepting their 12-team format.

Finally, we offered a procedural agreement that would allow for the timely implementation of sorely needed rules like the pitch timer and elimination of shifts to improve the entertainment value of the game on the field. And we agreed to the universal DH.

So, what is next? The calendar dictates that we are not going to be able to play the first two series of regular season games and those games are officially canceled. We are prepared to continue negotiations. We have been informed that the MLBPA is headed back to New York meaning that no agreement is possible until at least Thursday. Currently, camps could not meaningfully operate until at least March 8th, leaving only 23 days before scheduled Opening Day.

We played without an agreement in 1994 and the players went on strike in August, forcing the cancellation of the World Series. It was a painful chapter in our game’s history. We cannot risk such an outcome again for our fans and our sport.

The Clubs and our owners fully understand just how important it is to our millions of fans that we get the game on the field as soon as possible. To that end, we want to bargain and we want a deal with the Players Association as quickly as possible.

Manfred signature footer
    Hard to buy any of that when the “last chance” offer was more of a “let’s open negotiations” offer.

If I hear “I’d play for the league minimum” or “getting paid millions to play a game” a few dozen more times from somebody that couldn’t get off the bench in little league I’m going to clothesline somebody. 
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,307
    To be honest, they could miss the first 40 games of the year and the season would still be about 20 games too long.

While I do agree the season is too long, this lockout under the guise of the owners having trouble making a profit is laughable.  

But a 162 game season means you don't need to put half the league in the playoffs like the other sports do. That's part of what used to make baseball unique. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    Maybe if some owners (coughcough Cubs' Tom Ricketts cough) weren't so god damn busy donating millions & millions to Trump's campaign and various farcical election fraud organizations, and instead actually invested in the fucking baseball team, they wouldn't be having so much "financial trouble."
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    DewieCox said:
    commissioner-letter-header

To Our Fans:

I had hoped against hope that I would not have to be in the position of canceling games. We worked hard to avoid an outcome that is bad for our fans, bad for our players and bad for our clubs.

I want to assure our fans that our failure to reach an agreement was not due to a lack of effort on the part of either party. The Players came here for nine days, worked hard and tried to make a deal. I appreciate their effort.

Our committee of Club representatives committed to the process, offered compromise after compromise, and hung in past the deadline to exhaust all efforts to reach an agreement.

So far, we have failed to achieve our mutual goal of a fair deal. The unfortunate thing is that the agreement we have offered has huge benefits for fans and players.

We have listened to the Players Association throughout this process. A primary goal of the Players Association has been to increase pay for younger players. As I have said previously, we agree and share that goal. We offered to raise the minimum salary to $700,000, an increase of $130,000 from 2021. We offered to create an annual bonus pool of $30 million for the very best young players. In total, we are offering a 33% raise to nearly two-thirds of Major League players and adding more than $100 million annually in additional compensation for younger players.

The proposal also addressed player and fan concerns about issues like service time and competitive issues. Baseball would for the first time have a draft lottery -- the most aggressive in professional sports. Also, for the first time ever, we agreed to an incentive system to encourage clubs to promote top prospects to their Opening Day rosters. We also proposed that the first andsecond-place finishers in the Rookie of the Year voting in each league would receive a full year of service.

The MLBPA asked to make free agency more robust. For the first time ever, we agreed to eliminate direct draft pick compensation, a change the MLBPA has sought for decades. On the Competitive Balance Tax, we offered a significantly larger first-year increase than in the last two agreements, bearing in mind that the Competitive Balance Tax is the only mechanism in the agreement that protects some semblance of a level playing field among clubs.

The International Draft would have more fairly allocated talent among the clubs and reduced abuses in some international markets.

We also listened to our fans. The expanded playoffs would bring the excitement of meaningful September baseball and postseason baseball to fans in more of our markets. While we preferred a 14-team format, when the format became a significant obstacle, we listened to the players’ concerns, and offered to compromise by accepting their 12-team format.

Finally, we offered a procedural agreement that would allow for the timely implementation of sorely needed rules like the pitch timer and elimination of shifts to improve the entertainment value of the game on the field. And we agreed to the universal DH.

So, what is next? The calendar dictates that we are not going to be able to play the first two series of regular season games and those games are officially canceled. We are prepared to continue negotiations. We have been informed that the MLBPA is headed back to New York meaning that no agreement is possible until at least Thursday. Currently, camps could not meaningfully operate until at least March 8th, leaving only 23 days before scheduled Opening Day.

We played without an agreement in 1994 and the players went on strike in August, forcing the cancellation of the World Series. It was a painful chapter in our game’s history. We cannot risk such an outcome again for our fans and our sport.

The Clubs and our owners fully understand just how important it is to our millions of fans that we get the game on the field as soon as possible. To that end, we want to bargain and we want a deal with the Players Association as quickly as possible.

Manfred signature footer
    Hard to buy any of that when the “last chance” offer was more of a “let’s open negotiations” offer.

If I hear “I’d play for the league minimum” or “getting paid millions to play a game” a few dozen more times from somebody that couldn’t get off the bench in little league I’m going to clothesline somebody
    I'll be your tag partner. And don't forget "millionaires vs. billionaires" while we're clotheslining folks!
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,729
    "Oh NOW they want to ban the shift." ---Ryan Howard
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,443
    igotid88 said:
    Don't ban shifts
    Pitch clock, but there is a rule on time between pitches in the Official rule book already? (If so, enforce the rule)
    No bigger bases either
  • Options
    Bigger bases? Why?

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,238
    Bigger bases? Why?

For Jeff

This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Bigger bases? Why?

Bigger bases? Why?

Safety I’m guessing, but they’ll still have the neighborhood play.

I like the no shift idea. Hard enough to hit a baseball and  I bet about every team has a guy who’s career was wrecked by emphasizing the long ball. Chicks dig the long ball but opening up more small ball makes for more entertaining games. 
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,491
    I’m down with banning the (extreme) shift.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,081
    If you guessed Arizona, Cincinnati, Detroit and the Angels as four teams to reject increasing the CBT to 220 million collect your prize and there's this from the Athletic:

"One of the league’s efforts that irked the players was a proposal to incorporate meal money and the stipends players receive into the luxury-tax calculations. MLB, in other words, wanted to count the amount of money players receive for food against the amount of money teams can spend before they are taxed."
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    edited March 2022
    I say ban the shift

and universal dh obviously 
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    I’m down with banning the (extreme) shift.
    Absolutely.

But fuck the DH from here to eternity. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,040
    DewieCox said:
    Bigger bases? Why?

Bigger bases? Why?

I like the no shift idea. Hard enough to hit a baseball and  I bet about every team has a guy who’s career was wrecked by emphasizing the long ball. Chicks dig the long ball but opening up more small ball makes for more entertaining games. 
    In co-ed softball we have a line painted where the outfield is not allowed to cross until the ball is hit.  Banning the shift gives the hitter the same help as the people in co-ed softball.

Apples and oranges maybe but it came into my mind.

Leave the shift, learn to pull or swing later.  Bunt maybe?  Figure out a new strategy.
  • Options
    If you guessed Arizona, Cincinnati, Detroit and the Angels as four teams to reject increasing the CBT to 220 million collect your prize and there's this from the Athletic:

"One of the league’s efforts that irked the players was a proposal to incorporate meal money and the stipends players receive into the luxury-tax calculations. MLB, in other words, wanted to count the amount of money players receive for food against the amount of money teams can spend before they are taxed."
    Why a player making that much money has a stipend/per diem is ridiculous to me.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    Im kind of split on the shift...  I hate it, but Im not sure that restrictions like that help the sport/game.

Just hit the other way, fatso
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    Bigger bases? Why?

Bigger bases? Why?

Leave the shift, learn to pull or swing later.  Bunt maybe?  Figure out a new strategy.
    Hitters have stated (and rightfully so) that with the advantages pitchers have these days it's just not that feasible to just hit the ball the other way.
    Now if you take every little aid away from pitchers, no rosin no spider tack (which I know they outlawed but we all know still gets used), etc., then fine, leave the shift in place. Otherwise, I say even with the 2nd base bag should be as far as an infielder can shift towards the other side.
  • Options

who knows, but food stipends don't seem like they're tied a team's payroll, at least they shouldn't be.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
  • Options

who knows, but food stipends don't seem like they're tied a team's payroll, at least they shouldn't be.
    It should.  That is part of operating and running the team.  It's an expense that most likely gets written in their contracts so it should be billable towards that.
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    DewieCox said:
    Bigger bases? Why?

Bigger bases? Why?

Hitters have stated (and rightfully so) that with the advantages pitchers have these days it's just not that feasible to just hit the ball the other way.
    Now if you take every little aid away from pitchers, no rosin no spider tack (which I know they outlawed but we all know still gets used), etc., then fine, leave the shift in place. Otherwise, I say even with the 2nd base bag should be as far as an infielder can shift towards the other side.
    Pitchers to me do not have an advantage over a batter.  I can get into that later.

I get the batter has a routine and does what he does in order to hit the ball.  Batters make adjustments all the time.  If you have a one way sally and only pulls the ball then load up the field on that side.  Can't hit the other way?  Tough.  

Learn how to bunt so it confuses the fielders then is my answer.  The metrics probably don't measure out that way but a runner is a runner...
  • Options

Food stipends for major leaguers (at least those with full service time in) are stupid. A guy making 8 figures needs the team to pay for his KFC and Chipotle? Asinine.
  • Options
    Poncier said:

Food stipends for major leaguers (at least those with full service time in) are stupid. A guy making 8 figures needs the team to pay for his KFC and Chipotle? Asinine.
    guess I never thought of it one way or the other.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
  • Options
    Regarding the shift...making 2nd base the demarcation line seems to make sense.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,208
    anyone who likes the DH is a commie
  • Options
    Have to have 2 people on each side of 2nd base, from there you can do anything 
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    People who like to watch pitchers bat are no fun at parties. 
  • Options
    Have to have 2 people on each side of 2nd base, from there you can do anything 
    Yep
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,491
    pjhawks said:

yes, cliff, they are.

speaking of commies...what a terrible name for the WFT.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16