Options

MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    edited January 2020
    DewieCox said:
    Jeter doesn’t deserve to be unanimous outside of the fact that he’s a no brainer. If we’re reserving unanimous for guys that are even more special than a typical HoF, I just don’t think he has “it”. 

Have you ever looked at his stats next to other great SSs?  Then you add in the magic bullshit the dude pulled so many times and being a captain on all time great teams, and never being beaten up in the press for anything other than having a magic cock?

I'm not a yanks guy but he is pretty special, even next to other HoF-ers. 
    Just my opinion.
    Yeah, not discounting just doesn’t cut the mustard for a unanimous vote to me. I mean, if Rivera is the standard then there aren’t many that reach that. Hate to see it become normal after so many years of it being impossible. Reserved for guys that have a great case for GOAT. There’s not really much of a case for Jeter being the best, all time, at his position, or at any point during his career. 
    Post edited by DewieCox on
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,645
    DewieCox said:
    Jeter doesn’t deserve to be unanimous outside of the fact that he’s a no brainer. If we’re reserving unanimous for guys that are even more special than a typical HoF, I just don’t think he has “it”. 
    Considering the bar historically has been...how do you compare to your peers at the position during your playing days, I don’t see how an individual writer casts a no vote other than the feeling that no one gets in first time.  It’s hard to argue that he doesn’t deserve the hall.  And because it’s not a committee vote, rather a collection of individuals, I don’t see how an individual says no.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,636
    DewieCox said:
    DewieCox said:

Have you ever looked at his stats next to other great SSs?  Then you add in the magic bullshit the dude pulled so many times and being a captain on all time great teams, and never being beaten up in the press for anything other than having a magic cock?

Just my opinion.
    Yeah, not discounting just doesn’t cut the mustard for a unanimous vote to me. I mean, if Rivera is the standard then there aren’t many that reach that. Hate to see it become normal after so many years of it being impossible. Reserved for guys that have a great case for GOAT. There’s not really much of a case for Jeter being the best, all time, at his position, or at any point during his career. 

Is Rivera the only one?
    That is an awfully high bar.
    He will be first ballot, and I am sure happy to be there.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    Barry Bonds should have been a first-ballot, unanimous vote.  But a bunch of fucking holier-than-thou, hindsight-staring crybabies have to retroactively punish him for - of all things - the size of his head.  My fucking head grew from age 20 to 40 as well.  Maybe if he played for the Astros, he'd only have gotten a one year suspension from HOF voting.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,491
    Barry Bonds should have been a first-ballot, unanimous vote.  But a bunch of fucking holier-than-thou, hindsight-staring crybabies have to retroactively punish him for - of all things - the size of his head.  My fucking head grew from age 20 to 40 as well.  Maybe if he played for the Astros, he'd only have gotten a one year suspension from HOF voting.

word, Dyer :triumph:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    DewieCox said:

Just my opinion.

Is Rivera the only one?
    That is an awfully high bar.
    He will be first ballot, and I am sure happy to be there.
    Yep.  Before that for years Ty Cobb had the highest voting percentage and HE didn't get 100% but was widely regarded as one of the GREATEST to ever play the game.

Since then 5 others have received higher votes with Seaver finally breaking that in the early 90's and 1 asshole didn't give Griffey a first place vote so he didn't get 100%.
  • Options
     mcgruff10 said:
    Any chance for clemens or bonds?
    Wishful thinking.

I wonder if Alex Rodriguez or Palmiero ever see the inside of the hall?  They both got popped twice and to me that is a death bell but I would still vote them in.
    Don’t know much about Palmiero’s situation but there is no way A-Rod ever gets in. Even if they change their tune on Bonds, A-Rod got caught again well after the initial wave of guys exposed in that report (Mitchell Report I think it was called?). He has no shot, and shouldn’t have a shot. I’m all for Bonds in the Hall though. It wasn’t really against the rules (I think) when he was doing it, and I could be mistaken, but I’m not sure he ever truly got caught like A-Rod and others. Could be wrong there though. 

For me, Rose should be in the Hall. Still banned from baseball, but he should have a plaque in Cooperstown (they have his jersey and everything else, give him a plaque). Bonds should be in. A-Rod shouldn’t. And every Astro involved in this cheating scandal should be banned for life. Damn immunity. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    What I hate is the same sportswriters that blackball him (and McGuire and Sosa for that matter) were creaming in their pants with every homerun those guys hit in those years. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    There are few things I enjoy more than reading Ian O'Connor write about Derek Jeter.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28503461/why-baseball-needs-derek-jeter-today-much-ever

• Options
    There are few things I enjoy more than reading Ian O'Connor write about Derek Jeter.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28503461/why-baseball-needs-derek-jeter-today-much-ever

Great article.  Agree 100%.

Some jerk won't give him a vote though, watch.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    Derek Jeter might be the second ever player to get 100% of the vote?

Sorry.  Against the greats in history, he doesnt stand out.  over-hyped player.  
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,238
    MayDay10 said:

You don't think he's better than Ruth, Gehrig, Aaron, Mays, DiMaggio, Young, Williams or Mantle?
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    MayDay10 said:

You don't think he's better than Ruth, Gehrig, Aaron, Mays, DiMaggio, Young, Williams or Mantle?
    I say yes to those mentioned considering none played Shortstop.

The HOF voting is such a weird thing.

Does anyone remember when Libatard gave his ballot away?
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

Yeah, he only hit .331/.393/.446 against your Cleveland Indians.  He stinks.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    edited January 2020
    Poncier said:
    MayDay10 said:

Does he really make up the offensive disparity by being an average fielding SS?

What HoF are deserving of 100%? Top 50? top 100? Top 10?
    Post edited by DewieCox on
  • Options
    What I hate is the same sportswriters that blackball him (and McGuire and Sosa for that matter) were creaming in their pants with every homerun those guys hit in those years. 
    Exactly!
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,238
    Poncier said:
    MayDay10 said:

Come on, he's better than the all time greats cause he played SS? Then shouldn't Mark Belanger be in the HOF?
    Jeter is a sure fire HOFer, deserves that, but he was never MVP and you're telling me he's better than multi-MVP winners like Mays, Mantle DiMaggio and Gehrig cause he played SS?
    The 100% of the vote thing is a shame cause the old time guys got penalized for no sound reason by fools who did the voting, so he'll get 100% and fine...but telling me he's better than those players I listed is ridiculous.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    BizzzyBozzzyBizzzyBozzzy San Diego Posts: 388
    DewieCox said:
    Poncier said:
    MayDay10 said:

He's not an average fielding shortstop. Statistically, he was a horrific shortstop.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,636
    DewieCox said:
    Poncier said:
    MayDay10 said:

He's not an average fielding shortstop. Statistically, he was a horrific shortstop.

5 Gold Gloves
    Was in the top 10 for fielding percentages many times

Are you going to bring out advanced statistics to tell everyone how dumb they are? 
    (When people in New York ate sausage for both breakfast & dinner, Jeter didn't go for enough balls to qualify for a gold glove.)

5 gold gloves do not go to a horrific shortstop.

Nobody said he was Vizquel.

• Options
    Can't believe I am arguing on behalf of The Man With The Golden Cock

Always kinda annoyed me, but he is an all time great player.  Anyone who does not believe this has a totally different understanding of baseball than most of us.

• Options
    MayDay10 said:

He doesnt stink.  HOF worthy.  First ballot worthy? sure.....  but if unanimous is a thing of distinction which they made it to be, its a joke to consider Jeter for such an echelon, proclaiming he is theoretically 1 of the 2 best baseball players ever.  Players like Cobb, Wagner, Mantle, Aaron, Ruth, Mays, Henderson, Dimaggio, Speaker, Maddox, Cy Young, Matthewson, Walter Johnson, Musual, Hornsby, Gehrig, Ott, Ted Williams, etc couldnt move the needle there.  Jeter is nowhere near that class, let-alone leading it.
    I could buy a case for Rivera due to him being the unquestionably the best ever at his position/role (even though it is somewhat of a modern-era specialization).  

• Options
    MayDay10 said:
    MayDay10 said:

He doesnt stink.  HOF worthy.  First ballot worthy? sure.....  but if unanimous is a thing of distinction which they made it to be, its a joke to consider Jeter for such an echelon, proclaiming he is theoretically 1 of the 2 best baseball players ever.  Players like Cobb, Wagner, Mantle, Aaron, Ruth, Mays, Henderson, Dimaggio, Speaker, Maddox, Cy Young, Matthewson, Walter Johnson, Musual, Hornsby, Gehrig, Ott, Ted Williams, etc couldnt move the needle there.  Jeter is nowhere near that class, let-alone leading it.
    I could buy a case for Rivera due to him being the unquestionably the best ever at his position/role (even though it is somewhat of a modern-era specialization).  

I don't get the unanimous thing and honestly don't really care one way or another.  Derek Jeter should be unanimous because there is no objective voter who can look at his career and say he is not a hall of famer, so they should vote for him.  A whole shit load of players should have been, but writers are stupid.  They shouldn't keep him off to make a point. I'd love to see a bunch of people become unanimous selections because it only makes sense.

Does anyone really think that if Jeter gets 100% of the vote people are going to argue he was better than Ruth or Mays?

It's pretty cool that my favorite baseball player of all time is getting voted into the hall of fame, so it doesn't really matter to me what percentage of the vote he is going to get.  Unanimous would be cool, but to me it would be about 289458934590 on the list of awesome things Derek Jeter has done in his career.
  • Options
    Can't believe I am arguing on behalf of The Man With The Golden Cock

Always kinda annoyed me, but he is an all time great player.  Anyone who does not believe this has a totally different understanding of baseball than most of us.

Might be his best nickname to date
  • Options
    Unanimity shouldn't be a benchmark to players past. Any player that is a sure fire HOFer should get in with 100% of the vote.  It has nothing to do with them being better than guys who didn't get 100%.  That's not what you're voting on.  You're voting on does this person belong in the Hall, not does this person belong in the hall with more votes than this person who is already in?
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:
    MayDay10 said:

Come on, he's better than the all time greats cause he played SS? Then shouldn't Mark Belanger be in the HOF?
    Jeter is a sure fire HOFer, deserves that, but he was never MVP and you're telling me he's better than multi-MVP winners like Mays, Mantle DiMaggio and Gehrig cause he played SS?
    The 100% of the vote thing is a shame cause the old time guys got penalized for no sound reason by fools who did the voting, so he'll get 100% and fine...but telling me he's better than those players I listed is ridiculous.
    At the SS position.  It's how you worded it.

If you go by WAR then it's not even close but using the eye test, Jeter was a much better player, and clutch player than most.

I will agree that previous players were shafted in NOT getting 100% voting to get in.  A bunch of players should be unanimous in my eyes.
  • Options
    It is the cockamamie sports writers who make this an issue.  Agree that an obvious choice should get in.  Who cares about making them wait, or that they didn't give you an interview.  Someone with overwhelming case should get voted in by everyone.
    If only it were that simple...
  • Options
    Unanimity shouldn't be a benchmark to players past. Any player that is a sure fire HOFer should get in with 100% of the vote.  It has nothing to do with them being better than guys who didn't get 100%.  That's not what you're voting on.  You're voting on does this person belong in the Hall, not does this person belong in the hall with more votes than this person who is already in?
    MayDay10 said:
    MayDay10 said:

I don't get the unanimous thing and honestly don't really care one way or another.  Derek Jeter should be unanimous because there is no objective voter who can look at his career and say he is not a hall of famer, so they should vote for him.  A whole shit load of players should have been, but writers are stupid.  They shouldn't keep him off to make a point. I'd love to see a bunch of people become unanimous selections because it only makes sense.

Does anyone really think that if Jeter gets 100% of the vote people are going to argue he was better than Ruth or Mays?

It's pretty cool that my favorite baseball player of all time is getting voted into the hall of fame, so it doesn't really matter to me what percentage of the vote he is going to get.  Unanimous would be cool, but to me it would be about 289458934590 on the list of awesome things Derek Jeter has done in his career.
    Perfectly said guys.
  • Options
    I agree.  But they did make it a thing.
  • Options
    It is the cockamamie sports writers who make this an issue.  Agree that an obvious choice should get in.  Who cares about making them wait, or that they didn't give you an interview.  Someone with overwhelming case should get voted in by everyone.
    You sure love that word today!
  • Options
    You sure love that word today!
    Ha.  It is a cock sort of day, I guess.  Jeter's swordsmanship made an impression on us all.