Options

MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,643
    It is the cockamamie sports writers who make this an issue.  Agree that an obvious choice should get in.  Who cares about making them wait, or that they didn't give you an interview.  Someone with overwhelming case should get voted in by everyone.
    If only it were that simple...
    You sure love that word today!
    Ha.  It is a cock sort of day, I guess.  Jeter's swordsmanship made an impression on us all.

Then ya better take an STD test.  
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,635
    mrussel1 said:
    It is the cockamamie sports writers who make this an issue.  Agree that an obvious choice should get in.  Who cares about making them wait, or that they didn't give you an interview.  Someone with overwhelming case should get voted in by everyone.
    Ha.  It is a cock sort of day, I guess.  Jeter's swordsmanship made an impression on us all.

Bah, I'm an old man.  Not getting anything new at 45 & having been with the same woman for 20+ years.

Oh, wait....there is a flaw in that logic.

Damn you!

:lol: 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Did u get the gift basket?
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,635
    mrussel1 said:

Is that what that move is called?

;)
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Did Jeter send gift baskets to the young ladies he infected?  Good for him!  
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,208
    if Jeter didn't play for the evil empire no one would be discussing a possible unanimous hall of fame vote for him.  he'd be slightly better than Barry Larkin.  clear Hall of Famer but not an all time historically greatness that would consider unanimous vote.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    MayDay10 said:
    MayDay10 said:
    Derek Jeter might be the second ever player to get 100% of the vote?

Sorry.  Against the greats in history, he doesnt stand out.  over-hyped player.  
    Yeah, he only hit .331/.393/.446 against your Cleveland Indians.  He stinks.
    He doesnt stink.  HOF worthy.  First ballot worthy? sure.....  but if unanimous is a thing of distinction which they made it to be, its a joke to consider Jeter for such an echelon, proclaiming he is theoretically 1 of the 2 best baseball players ever.  Players like Cobb, Wagner, Mantle, Aaron, Ruth, Mays, Henderson, Dimaggio, Speaker, Maddox, Cy Young, Matthewson, Walter Johnson, Musual, Hornsby, Gehrig, Ott, Ted Williams, etc couldnt move the needle there.  Jeter is nowhere near that class, let-alone leading it.
    I could buy a case for Rivera due to him being the unquestionably the best ever at his position/role (even though it is somewhat of a modern-era specialization).  

I don't get the unanimous thing and honestly don't really care one way or another.  Derek Jeter should be unanimous because there is no objective voter who can look at his career and say he is not a hall of famer, so they should vote for him.  A whole shit load of players should have been, but writers are stupid.  They shouldn't keep him off to make a point. I'd love to see a bunch of people become unanimous selections because it only makes sense.

Does anyone really think that if Jeter gets 100% of the vote people are going to argue he was better than Ruth or Mays?

It's pretty cool that my favorite baseball player of all time is getting voted into the hall of fame, so it doesn't really matter to me what percentage of the vote he is going to get.  Unanimous would be cool, but to me it would be about 289458934590 on the list of awesome things Derek Jeter has done in his career.
    Unanimity shouldn't be a benchmark to players past. Any player that is a sure fire HOFer should get in with 100% of the vote.  It has nothing to do with them being better than guys who didn't get 100%.  That's not what you're voting on.  You're voting on does this person belong in the Hall, not does this person belong in the hall with more votes than this person who is already in?
    That’s the precedent that has been set. Maybe Rivera opened the gates for it. Should find out soon enough. I totally get the bullshit writer aspect too

It was just a nice extra smiley sticker on the Rivera vote. Not gonna break my heart either way.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,928
    pjhawks said:
    if Jeter didn't play for the evil empire no one would be discussing a possible unanimous hall of fame vote for him.  he'd be slightly better than Barry Larkin.  clear Hall of Famer but not an all time historically greatness that would consider unanimous vote.

Maybe. He might get in unanimous.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    One ballot short...
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    One ballot short...
    that would be kinda funny

8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    One ballot short...

It's in.. one short.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,900
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    One ballot short...

It's in.. one short.
    What an asshole. Got to be a Boston writer. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    Lol well we know one person who should have their vote taken away 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,900
    edited January 2020
    Agreed. I can’t wait to hear their reasons why they voted to keep him out. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Would that one vote make Jeter better than Ruth or Mays?
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    Nope but you know it’s a bad ballot when you are The only one out of a couple hundred people to vote that way
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,238

What did you do with your Jeets parting gift basket the next morning?
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,245
    DewieCox said:
    Nope but you know it’s a bad ballot when you are The only one out of a couple hundred people to vote that way
    I agree with this voting though. They set the precedent. You know there's some sort of secret communication about who it is. Jeter is not more deserving than some of the previous greats who went in the last few years that weren't unanimous. It's stupid, but it's what they've been doing.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    One ballot short...

It's in.. one short.

i thought you were joking. Yeah that had to be a Boston person who snubbed him.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    DewieCox said:
    I agree with this voting though. They set the precedent. You know there's some sort of secret communication about who it is. Jeter is not more deserving than some of the previous greats who went in the last few years that weren't unanimous. It's stupid, but it's what they've been doing.
    Like you said, it’s stupid. You’re arguing for something you think is stupid 
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,245
    tbergs said:
    DewieCox said:
    Like you said, it’s stupid. You’re arguing for something you think is stupid 
    My point is, don't do it for Jeter. It would have been really maddening if Jeter and Rivera were the only unanimous votes on record. I'm sure it's a dreamy moment for Yankees fans, but a huge fuck you to everyone else over the years. I can agree on Rivera, but not Jeter. 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    #RE2PECT
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    One ballot short...

It's in.. one short.
    What an asshole. Got to be a Boston writer. 
    I’m gonna guess Baltimore or Oakland.
  • Options
    Anybody else think that 5-6 people get in next year?
  • Options
    Congrats to Larry Walker.  He got the short end of the stick for playing in Colorado though.  
    Was he Hall worthy?  I don't think so.

Next year if I had 10 votes they would go like this
    Soriano
    Vizquel *
    Petite
    Sosa *
    Clemens *
    Bonds *
    Jones *
    Ramirez *
    Kent
    Schilling

The * is for whom I think is deserving though.
  • Options
    Anybody else think that 5-6 people get in next year?
    Schilling and finally Bonds and Clemens.
  • Options
    Schilling in the Hall? Compiler with good postseason numbers and a dipshit of epic proportions. 
  • Options
    He's gonna make it but agree that his spot on the jackass scale is near the top.
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    Schilling in the Hall? Compiler with good postseason numbers and a dipshit of epic proportions. 
    He's gonna make it but agree that his spot on the jackass scale is near the top.
    Off field shouldn't have anything to do with on field.

I don't think he is Hall worthy but the flood gates seem to be open for good players now...
  • Options
    His post season accomplishments set him apart from other pitchers with similar regular season numbers.
    Success on the biggest stage has to count for something, otherwise we'd have a HOF filled with folks like Harold Baines.