MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    Listened to the last 2 innings on my walk home. That was fun. He is fucking awesome. I love watching him pitch, expect when the Yankees seem to get him every god damn time they play Seattle.

That's awesome. He's great
    What a day in baseball
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,704
    Not Buster Olney ‏@TrippingOlney
    MLB ANNOUNCES THE SPECIAL EDITION "RAYS NO-HITTERS COLLECTION", A SPECIAL FIVE DISC SET.
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 wrote:
    Not Buster Olney ‏@TrippingOlney
    MLB ANNOUNCES THE SPECIAL EDITION "RAYS NO-HITTERS COLLECTION", A SPECIAL FIVE DISC SET.

I was going to say. How many times have the been no hit. It seems like it happens once a year
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    just to add to the comedy that is the giants, barry is at att park for the game :lol::lol:
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    norm wrote:
    just to add to the comedy that is the giants, barry is at att park for the game :lol::lol:

Hiding some evidence perhaps? :lol:
  • prismprism Posts: 2,440
    the first perfect game in M's history. how fucking awesome...incredible way to go, King Felix! :D

Perfect! Mariners' Felix Hernandez throws perfect game
    Felix Hernandez threw a perfect game Wednesday, beating the Tampa Bay Rays, 1-0. Hernandez struck out 12, throwing the 23rd perfect game in Major League Baseball history.

By Larry Stone
    Seattle Times staff reporter

Whenever Felix Hernandez takes the mound, the possibility of seeing something special, of witnessing immortality, is always lurking.

On Wednesday, on a brilliantly sunny day, that possibility became reality, as Hernandez threw the 23rd perfect game in major-league history, and the first in Mariners history.

"I don't have any words to explain this," Hernandez said in a TV interview after the game. "I've got to throw one. I've been working so hard to throw one, and I got it. It was in my mind the whole game."
    It was the third perfecto this season and the second at Safeco Field, as Philip Humber of the White Sox threw a perfect against the Mariners on April 21. The Giants' Matt Cain had a perfect game against the Astros on June 13.

It marks the first time in MLB history that three perfect games have been thrown in the same season, and also the first time a team has been victimized by, and thrown, a perfect game in the same year.
    The Mariners beat the Rays, 1-0, before 21,889 at Safeco to win the series, but that was secondary to Hernandez's historic outing.

Hernandez struck out the side in the sixth, and again in the eighth, as fans in the King's Court section loudly chanted, "Let's Go, Felix." Mariners players, who hung on the dugout railing during Mariners at-bats, were nowhere to be seen when the Mariners were in the field as superstition took over.
    In the ninth, pinch-hitter Desmond Jennings fouled off two-strike pitches, then went down swinging. Another pinch-hitter, Jeff Keppinger, grounded out to shortstop Brendan Ryan on a 1-2 pitch. Hernandez went 2-0 on Sean Rodriguez, then struck out Rodriguez for the 27th consecutive out.
    Hernandez pointed skyward as teammates rushed out to congratulate him.
    In his postgame interview on the field, Hernandez looked at the fans and said, "It's unbelievable. It's for you guys, for you!"

It was the first perfect game in Mariners history, though Brian Holman came within one out in 1990 before Ken Phelps of Oakland hit a pinch-hit home run. The Mariners have thrown three previous no-hitters, including one against the Dodgers earlier this season in which they used six pitchers on June 8.

The last Seattle pitcher to go the distance on a no-hitter was Chris Bosio on April 22, 1993 against Boston. Randy Johnson threw the first Mariners no-hitter on June 2, 1990, against the Tigers.
    Hernandez has flirted with no-hitters before, most notably on April 11, 2007, when he stole the thunder from Daisuke Matsuzaka's Boston debut with a one-hitter at Fenway Park. The only hit he allowed was a single up the middle by J.D. Drew leading off the eighth.

This was Hernandez's fourth shutout this season, including a masterful two-hitter at Yankee Stadium two starts ago. He also had a three-hitter against the Rangers, and a five-hitter against the Red Sox.
    For the Rays, it was the third time in their brief history — which began in 1998 — that they have been the victim of a perfect game. Mark Buehrle of the White Sox threw one against them on July 23, 2009, and Oakland's Dallas Braden threw one on May 9, 2010. They've also had two no-hitters thrown against them, by Boston's Derek Lowe (April 27, 2002) and Arizona's Edwin Jackson (June 25, 2010).

Tampa Bay manager Joe Maddon was ejected with two outs in the seventh by home-plate umpire Rob Drake, arguing a called strike on Matt Joyce. But Hernandez was undeterred by the delay, getting Joyce on a ground out to first on a 3-2 pitch. It was just his second three-ball count of the game.

The Mariners scored the only run they would need in the third inning, thanks to alert baserunning from Brendan Ryan and clutch hitting by Jesus Montero. After a leadoff single, Ryan was still on first with two outs when he noticed that Rays pitcher Jeremy Hellickson was paying him little attention. Before Hellickson even started his stretch, Ryan took off for second, and when the pitch was in the dirt and got past catcher Jose Lobaton for a wild pitch, Ryan kept right on running to third base.

Montero then lined a single to left, and Ryan trotted home. Hellickson had been 3-0 with a 0.92 earned-run average in four previous starts against the Mariners.

The Rays rarely even threatened a hit in the game. Sam Fuld had a long fly to right to start the game, and lined out to third in the fourth, and Evan Longoria lined out to second in the fifth. Ryan made a nice play on a g rounder by B.J. Upton for the second out in the seventh, after the ball skipped past diving third baseman Kyle Seager. Catcher John Jaso pounced on a nubber in front of the plate by Carlos Pena in the fifth and threw him out.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/m ... ers16.html
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,863
    norm wrote:

gotta support a brother.

I'm in a foul mood. fuck the do**ers! ;)
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,119
    Go Braves! The Maholm trade is starting to look really good. Hope they can take advantage of a weaker schedule to close the year and not choke like last year....
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,728
    prism wrote:
    the first perfect game in M's history. how fucking awesome...incredible way to go, King Felix! :D

Felix Hernandez threw a perfect game Wednesday, beating the Tampa Bay Rays, 1-0. Hernandez struck out 12, throwing the 23rd perfect game in Major League Baseball history.

By Larry Stone

Whenever Felix Hernandez takes the mound, the possibility of seeing something special, of witnessing immortality, is always lurking.

On Wednesday, on a brilliantly sunny day, that possibility became reality, as Hernandez threw the 23rd perfect game in major-league history, and the first in Mariners history.

"I don't have any words to explain this," Hernandez said in a TV interview after the game. "I've got to throw one. I've been working so hard to throw one, and I got it. It was in my mind the whole game."
    It was the third perfecto this season and the second at Safeco Field, as Philip Humber of the White Sox threw a perfect against the Mariners on April 21. The Giants' Matt Cain had a perfect game against the Astros on June 13.

It marks the first time in MLB history that three perfect games have been thrown in the same season, and also the first time a team has been victimized by, and thrown, a perfect game in the same year.
    The Mariners beat the Rays, 1-0, before 21,889 at Safeco to win the series, but that was secondary to Hernandez's historic outing.

Hernandez struck out the side in the sixth, and again in the eighth, as fans in the King's Court section loudly chanted, "Let's Go, Felix." Mariners players, who hung on the dugout railing during Mariners at-bats, were nowhere to be seen when the Mariners were in the field as superstition took over.
    In the ninth, pinch-hitter Desmond Jennings fouled off two-strike pitches, then went down swinging. Another pinch-hitter, Jeff Keppinger, grounded out to shortstop Brendan Ryan on a 1-2 pitch. Hernandez went 2-0 on Sean Rodriguez, then struck out Rodriguez for the 27th consecutive out.
    In his postgame interview on the field, Hernandez looked at the fans and said, "It's unbelievable. It's for you guys, for you!"

It was the first perfect game in Mariners history, though Brian Holman came within one out in 1990 before Ken Phelps of Oakland hit a pinch-hit home run. The Mariners have thrown three previous no-hitters, including one against the Dodgers earlier this season in which they used six pitchers on June 8.

The last Seattle pitcher to go the distance on a no-hitter was Chris Bosio on April 22, 1993 against Boston. Randy Johnson threw the first Mariners no-hitter on June 2, 1990, against the Tigers.
    Hernandez has flirted with no-hitters before, most notably on April 11, 2007, when he stole the thunder from Daisuke Matsuzaka's Boston debut with a one-hitter at Fenway Park. The only hit he allowed was a single up the middle by J.D. Drew leading off the eighth.

This was Hernandez's fourth shutout this season, including a masterful two-hitter at Yankee Stadium two starts ago. He also had a three-hitter against the Rangers, and a five-hitter against the Red Sox.
    For the Rays, it was the third time in their brief history — which began in 1998 — that they have been the victim of a perfect game. Mark Buehrle of the White Sox threw one against them on July 23, 2009, and Oakland's Dallas Braden threw one on May 9, 2010. They've also had two no-hitters thrown against them, by Boston's Derek Lowe (April 27, 2002) and Arizona's Edwin Jackson (June 25, 2010).

Tampa Bay manager Joe Maddon was ejected with two outs in the seventh by home-plate umpire Rob Drake, arguing a called strike on Matt Joyce. But Hernandez was undeterred by the delay, getting Joyce on a ground out to first on a 3-2 pitch. It was just his second three-ball count of the game.

The Mariners scored the only run they would need in the third inning, thanks to alert baserunning from Brendan Ryan and clutch hitting by Jesus Montero. After a leadoff single, Ryan was still on first with two outs when he noticed that Rays pitcher Jeremy Hellickson was paying him little attention. Before Hellickson even started his stretch, Ryan took off for second, and when the pitch was in the dirt and got past catcher Jose Lobaton for a wild pitch, Ryan kept right on running to third base.

Montero then lined a single to left, and Ryan trotted home. Hellickson had been 3-0 with a 0.92 earned-run average in four previous starts against the Mariners.

The Rays rarely even threatened a hit in the game. Sam Fuld had a long fly to right to start the game, and lined out to third in the fourth, and Evan Longoria lined out to second in the fifth. Ryan made a nice play on a g rounder by B.J. Upton for the second out in the seventh, after the ball skipped past diving third baseman Kyle Seager. Catcher John Jaso pounced on a nubber in front of the plate by Carlos Pena in the fifth and threw him out.

Congrats! :clap: Most of the people on he eat coast (liek me) woke up to find out :lol:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,728
    prism wrote:

By Larry Stone

Congrats! :clap: Most of the people on he eat coast (liek me) woke up to find out :lol:

wait a minute, was this a day game? Not sure why i didn't find out until this morning. probably had something to do with the fact i didn't watch sportscenter last night though :lol:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    prism wrote:

By Larry Stone

wait a minute, was this a day game? Not sure why i didn't find out until this morning. probably had something to do with the fact i didn't watch sportscenter last night though :lol:
    Don't you mean Tebow TV?
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Wow, he owned it. Gotta respect that. More than you can say about the golden boy from last year.

exactly three guys have "owned it"

caminiti
    canseco
    melky

for the rest, it was ALL bullshit stories.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    imalive wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Wow, he owned it. Gotta respect that. More than you can say about the golden boy from last year.

caminiti
    canseco
    melky

pettitte kinda did too
    The Fixer wrote:
    imalive wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

caminiti
    canseco
    melky

pettitte kinda did too

nah.....bullshit story.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    angel campos can go get fucked in the ass by a chainsaw
    norm wrote:

I have no idea what you're talking about......but I'll bet I would like this guy :lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:
    norm wrote:

I have no idea what you're talking about......but I'll bet I would like this guy :lol:

kemp, from the dugout, yelled 'c'mon dre' at andre ethier who was batting...campos through him out of the game...kemp went nuts (and will probably get a game suspension) and mattingly continued the agrument and got kicked out...a couple innings later he tossed blanton form the game for what i have no idea...although, i was ok with that because he was giving up home runs like they were going out of style
    norm wrote:
    imalive wrote:
    norm wrote:

kemp, from the dugout, yelled 'c'mon dre' at andre ethier who was batting...campos through him out of the game...kemp went nuts (and will probably get a game suspension) and mattingly continued the agrument and got kicked out...a couple innings later he tossed blanton form the game for what i have no idea...although, i was ok with that because he was giving up home runs like they were going out of style

calling guys named Andre "dre" has always bugged me, too :lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:
    calling guys named Andre "dre" has always bugged me, too :lol:

ok rob

:P :lol:
    dan haren has gotta be hurt
    The Fixer wrote:

Back issues, no?

If all three dont make the playoffs are the Phillies, Red Sox or Angels the biggest underachievers?
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

Back issues, no?

If all three dont make the playoffs are the Phillies, Red Sox or Angels the biggest underachievers?

considering how bad they have been and that they have 2nd highest payroll, I would think the phils get that honor...other two get honorable mention...at least the 2 AL teams still have a shot at the playoffs
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

Back issues, no?

considering how bad they have been and that they have 2nd highest payroll, I would think the phils get that honor...other two get honorable mention...at least the 2 AL teams still have a shot at the playoffs

After the Boston collapse they can't be that much of a surprise but with the Philly injuries and the Angels adding Pujols, Wilson and Greinke to Weaver, Santana and Haren, I'd have to say it's them. They have been playing like shit, but they are definitely right there for the wild card.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

After the Boston collapse they can't be that much of a surprise but with the Philly injuries and the Angels adding Pujols, Wilson and Greinke to Weaver, Santana and Haren, I'd have to say it's them. They have been playing like shit, but they are definitely right there for the wild card.

phils have had some injuries, but so has everyone else. I don't like that excuse. DC has had just as many injuries and they haven't had any problem finding ways to win games.

Of course at this point I'm completely irrational regarding anything phillies-related. I just want the regular season to end
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

phils have had some injuries, but so has everyone else. I don't like that excuse. DC has had just as many injuries and they haven't had any problem finding ways to win games.

Of course at this point I'm completely irrational regarding anything phillies-related. I just want the regular season to end

True, Boston and Yanks have too. Part of the game.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

True, Boston and Yanks have too. Part of the game.

yeah, people in philly say that any team that loses their 3 or 4 hitter will struggle. they ignore the fact that DC has been without their 3,4, and 5 hitter (all were out at same time for a short bit)...and their all star SS.

I don't like blaming injuries or refs/umps. like you said, part of sports
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

the angels are the only "if"....the other two are locks.

I would love to see the angels out. I think it may happen :mrgreen:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14