MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,860
    well 81, now that McCutchen has signed a big deal I guess we can expect some sort of undisclosed medical condition to pop up. :problem:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    O-K ...
    Blue Jays ...
    Let's ...
    Play ...
    Ball!
  • Monster RainMonster Rain Posts: 1,415
    Lenny Dykstra was sentenced to 3 years in a California state prison for grand theft auto.
    Interesting article by Tom Verducci about the possibility of the NL using the DH in the future:
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/w ... mlb_t11_a0
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,401
    Interesting article by Tom Verducci about the possibility of the NL using the DH in the future:
    "But the biggest change of all may be around the next corner: the end of baseball as it was originally designed."

i really hate this shit. the added playoff teams are only the beginning.
    www.myspace.com
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Its garbage. As someone who loves AL baseball, at heart Im a purist and personally I think the AL should ditch the DH and go back to the NL style. That being said, the AL will still be superior to the NL.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,928

Good article. But it makes sense. What doesn't make sense is when the DH was originally implemented. That's the problem. Other than that, I agree that if it's going to be put in the NL then NL clubs would need a few seasons to draft, scout, and sign players knowing it is imminent.
    But the biggest change of all may be around the next corner: the end of baseball as it was originally designed.

I like the fact that there the leagues each have their own style of play. It makes the game different than the NFL, NHL, and NBA. The different conferences in those sprts are pretty meaningless. However, I don't see MLB being able to avoid having the DH in the NL without either adding or subtracting 2 teams to give each league an even number of teams. I can't imagine the MLBPA would be too happy about losing 50 jobs, so contraction is unlikely (unless Oakland can't find another home and another team ends up in a similar no-win situation), so the candidates become expansion or the DH in the NL. The owners and players would probably both love expansion for obvious reasons--50 more jobs for the union and the owners get to split the entrance fees for the new teams--but if they can't even find a viable home for Oakland, what hope is there for finding homes for 2 new teams? Even if they add a 3rd team in NY (the Mets would fight it to the death, though) they still need another city. I don't know if it's feasible (although that didn't stop them from adding a team in Tampa). I would say the most likely scenario is the DH in the NL. All it'll take is one AL pitcher to be injured batting or running in September during a pennant race and it'll get done.
    If Oakland moved, there's quite the following to see the A's back in Philly.
    But the biggest change of all may be around the next corner: the end of baseball as it was originally designed.

I like the fact that there the leagues each have their own style of play. It makes the game different than the NFL, NHL, and NBA. The different conferences in those sprts are pretty meaningless. However, I don't see MLB being able to avoid having the DH in the NL without either adding or subtracting 2 teams to give each league an even number of teams. I can't imagine the MLBPA would be too happy about losing 50 jobs, so contraction is unlikely (unless Oakland can't find another home and another team ends up in a similar no-win situation), so the candidates become expansion or the DH in the NL. The owners and players would probably both love expansion for obvious reasons--50 more jobs for the union and the owners get to split the entrance fees for the new teams--but if they can't even find a viable home for Oakland, what hope is there for finding homes for 2 new teams? Even if they add a 3rd team in NY (the Mets would fight it to the death, though) they still need another city. I don't know if it's feasible (although that didn't stop them from adding a team in Tampa). I would say the most likely scenario is the DH in the NL. All it'll take is one AL pitcher to be injured batting or running in September during a pennant race and it'll get done.

i think the dh is horrible. i think we've talked about it before. nl pitchers have been hitting for well over 100 years and its never really a problem. that argument is funny to me.

but i do agree that with the new season long interleague play (pains me just to type that) they need to be on level playing fields and the dh will never go away in the al so it's inevitable that the nl will adopt it soon.

it's just a lesser brand of baseball to me and i hate that.

hope it doesn't happen, but i could see myself losing interest in the sport as i get older with all these changes taking place. i just have a feeling mlb will more closely resemble the nhl and nba in 20 years than the mlb we all grew up with.
    www.myspace.com
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    Stop it jeags, that's absurd. One more "playoff" team and the dh is going to make you lose interest in the sport. Come on man. I'd like the division series to get extended and that's all there will be. They can't add any more teams because they can't play longer. You don't like the dh and you don't like the all star game so you're gonna stop watching?
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Stop it jeags, that's absurd. One more "playoff" team and the dh is going to make you lose interest in the sport. Come on man. I'd like the division series to get extended and that's all there will be. They can't add any more teams because they can't play longer. You don't like the dh and you don't like the all star game so you're gonna stop watching?

i hope not. i'm probably exaggerating just because i'm upset about it. but realignment next year and the inevitable dh to the nl thing is a pretty fucking huge deal man. you act like it's a little change that might be made. that will be a change that will literally change the entire landscape of the sport, for the worse in my opinion. again, i understand why it will most likely happen. i just hate that it's even there in the first place so it's a lose-lose for people like me.
    www.myspace.com
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

i hope not. i'm probably exaggerating just because i'm upset about it. but realignment next year and the inevitable dh to the nl thing is a pretty fucking huge deal man. you act like it's a little change that might be made. that will be a change that will literally change the entire landscape of the sport, for the worse in my opinion. again, i understand why it will most likely happen. i just hate that it's even there in the first place so it's a lose-lose for people like me.

But realignment makes sense. How can you win one division by beating three teams and lose another by beating 4? That doesn't make sense. Yeah, the DH is a big deal but it's been a long time coming, pretty much since the day it was adpoted. I get that you hate it and that's fair, but it's going to happen at some point and it will surely get people like you angry but in the long run people will get used to it, just like AL fans have.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

But realignment makes sense. How can you win one division by beating three teams and lose another by beating 4? That doesn't make sense. Yeah, the DH is a big deal but it's been a long time coming, pretty much since the day it was adpoted. I get that you hate it and that's fair, but it's going to happen at some point and it will surely get people like you angry but in the long run people will get used to it, just like AL fans have.

it's a lesser brand of baseball cliff. i'm not a fan of games regularly lasting over 3 hours and i hate all the strategy that goes out the window. long term, i think this will turn more people off than bringing in more fans. but who knows?

again--i agree if they will have interleague all year long, that you need to both have the same system regarding the dh. but if it takes 10 years or so, per the verducci article, that's just stupid. why not have all your ducks in a row at the time you realign? there will be a lot of teams at a disadvantage for the next decade or so...
    www.myspace.com
    The whole pitchers hitting in the NL for over 100 years is pretty exaggerated. Hey, I'm not a fan either, but Verducci makes a valid point that pitchers practically don't start hitting for themselves until they get up to the NL due to the DH being used in every division of the sport(Legion, HS, college, minors) until the Majors(NL).
    The whole pitchers hitting in the NL for over 100 years is pretty exaggerated. Hey, I'm not a fan either, but Verducci makes a valid point that pitchers practically don't start hitting for themselves until they get up to the NL due to the DH being used in every division of the sport(Legion, HS, college, minors) until the Majors(NL).

yeah that is a good point. but it doesn't make it right though. :lol:

i dh'd a few times back in the day (was a much better hitter than fielder). i just remember thinking that i wasn't really part of the game just hanging out in the dugout most of the time and stepping up to the batters box every couple innings or so. i'll never like the dh
    www.myspace.com

That's a huge point from a lot of people who think the NL should adopt the DH. The NL is literally one of the only leagues in the world that doesn't use it at all.
    it's a lesser brand of baseball cliff. i'm not a fan of games regularly lasting over 3 hours and i hate all the strategy that goes out the window. long term, i think this will turn more people off than bringing in more fans. but who knows?

again--i agree if they will have interleague all year long, that you need to both have the same system regarding the dh. but if it takes 10 years or so, per the verducci article, that's just stupid. why not have all your ducks in a row at the time you realign? there will be a lot of teams at a disadvantage for the next decade or so...

We have been through this many times. You think it's better baseball and strategy, I think both are overrated. I think it will piss some people off but long term, the game will be the game. Baseball is not going to go the way of the NHL or the NBA, it's just too popular. No one goes to the ballpark just to see a double switch or the pitcher hit.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559

i dh'd a few times back in the day (was a much better hitter than fielder). i just remember thinking that i wasn't really part of the game just hanging out in the dugout most of the time and stepping up to the batters box every couple innings or so. i'll never like the dh

then you should learn to play defense ... :lol::lol:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

That's a huge point from a lot of people who think the NL should adopt the DH. The NL is literally one of the only leagues in the world that doesn't use it at all.

...yeah maybe they'll start using aluminum bats too. you know, since most everyone else is doing it?

the "everyone else is doing it argument" doesn't work for me. i don't care if the rest of the world plays a dumbed down version of baseball. i enjoy it the way it was meant to be played. screw the american league. :lol:
    www.myspace.com
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

We have been through this many times. You think it's better baseball and strategy, I think both are overrated. I think it will piss some people off but long term, the game will be the game. Baseball is not going to go the way of the NHL or the NBA, it's just too popular. No one goes to the ballpark just to see a double switch or the pitcher hit.

time will tell cliff.

meanwhile, we'll have season long interleague play with one league still employing the dh and the other not for about a decade. i think we call agree that is ridiculous.
    www.myspace.com
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    everything the juggling jeags said is correct
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    polaris_x wrote:

then you should learn to play defense ... :lol::lol:

:lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg

...yeah maybe they'll start using aluminum bats too. you know, since most everyone else is doing it?

the "everyone else is doing it argument" doesn't work for me. i don't care if the rest of the world plays a dumbed down version of baseball. i enjoy it the way it was meant to be played. screw the american league. :lol:

you tell him! fuck the AL! :lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Aluminum bats are used to save costs, I believe. It's the point that all pitchers that go to the NL have never really batted, as JP said.

We can go over and over the DH argument as many times as we want, we'll both say the same things 20 times.

http://joeposnanski.si.com/2012/03/07/k ... nd-the-dh/
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Aluminum bats are used to save costs, I believe. It's the point that all pitchers that go to the NL have never really batted, as JP said.

We can go over and over the DH argument as many times as we want, we'll both say the same things 20 times.

http://joeposnanski.si.com/2012/03/07/k ... nd-the-dh/

i was joking about the bats dude.

;)
    www.myspace.com
    The A's want a resolution of the San Jose territorial rights issue. My favorite line from the article is this one: "At the January owners meetings, Selig said the situation was on the "front burner." He appointed a committee in March 2009 to evaluate the issue." So they're 2 years into this issue and there doesn't seem to be a decision coming any time soon, but it's "on the front burner." Um, ok.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/b ... =mlb_t2_a3
    Moyer: 2 IP, 1 H, 1 K, 0 ER....of course, it was against the slap hitting Giants :roll:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Canseco's Mexican League comback attempt has been derailed. League officials say he refused to take a drug test and admitted to taking steroids. What a dummy. Even Kenny Powers was able to pull off a Mexican League comeback. :)
    Canseco's Mexican League comback attempt has been derailed. League officials say he refused to take a drug test and admitted to taking steroids. What a dummy. Even Kenny Powers was able to pull off a Mexican League comeback. :)

Mexican Baseball League officials say Jose Canseco has acknowledged that he took a banned substance for which he has no prescription and will not play as expected in the league.

Plinio Escalante, president of the Mexican League, confirmed to ESPN Deportes that the banned substance is testosterone.

A source told ESPN Deportes that Canseco refused to take a doping test.

Canseco took to Twitter Wednesday to refute the allegations.

"How can I test positive when I never took any test don't believe everything the media tells you.the truth always comes out I am not using any illegal substanced," Canseco tweeted. "Don't be so quick to judge till you here the truth that's a sure sign of ignorance hatred and jealousy."

I'm confused..... :?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14