MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    I'd be stunned if he doesn't make their rotation. If he doesn't make the team, I'm sure he'll wind up on another team somewhere. There are plenty of rebuilding teams who could use a veteran to mentor their young pitchers--especially if that veteran also happens to be decent on the mound at 49.

i mean it really goes to show that pitching is as much mental as it is physical ... can he even hit 83 on the radar gun anymore!? ... pretty amazing ... i hope he gets to 50!
  • Monster RainMonster Rain Posts: 1,415
    polaris_x wrote:
    I'd be stunned if he doesn't make their rotation. If he doesn't make the team, I'm sure he'll wind up on another team somewhere. There are plenty of rebuilding teams who could use a veteran to mentor their young pitchers--especially if that veteran also happens to be decent on the mound at 49.

i mean it really goes to show that pitching is as much mental as it is physical ... can he even hit 83 on the radar gun anymore!? ... pretty amazing ... i hope he gets to 50!

Heyman said the scoreboard gun showed him at 78 mph but that the gun there is slow and it was more likely 82-83. Even at 82-83, that's very slow for a major league fastball--approaching Wakefield-level slow. His changeup must be hovering around 70 mph at this point.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,860
    polaris_x wrote:
    Moyer didn't allow a hit and didn't walk a batter while striking out four. The 49-year-old left-hander is now sporting a spectacular 1.00 ERA and 0.44 WHIP through nine innings this spring as he aims to complete his comeback from Tommy John surgery and land a spot in the Rockies' season-opening starting rotation.

it was vs. the giants...let's not get carried away ;)
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    just read (or tried to read) about joba's injury...that's some fucked up shit
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    norm wrote:

Do not look up the injury in Google Images.

But yeah, horrible. Just posted in the Yanks thread that they were concerned for his life because of how much blood he lost.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    norm wrote:

But yeah, horrible. Just posted in the Yanks thread that they were concerned for his life because of how much blood he lost.

yeah that's about as far as i got...when i read "sticking out" i stopped reading...i hope this isn't a career ending injury
    norm wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    norm wrote:

yeah that's about as far as i got...when i read "sticking out" i stopped reading...i hope this isn't a career ending injury

Yeah, that is just about my worst fear. You are not supposed to see your bones, ever. Agreed, man. I am sure he is a very easy guy to dislike for all other fans, but from everything I have heard, he's a great dude and he does a lot in the community as well. I definitely hope he can pitch again at some point.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Yeah, that is just about my worst fear. You are not supposed to see your bones, ever. Agreed, man. I am sure he is a very easy guy to dislike for all other fans, but from everything I have heard, he's a great dude and he does a lot in the community as well. I definitely hope he can pitch again at some point.

well being a dodger fan you can understand my dislike for your team, but this is just fucked up...hell, he was playing with his 5 year old kid...now if this had happened while he was water skiing with penthouse girls i might not be as sympathetic ;)
    norm wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

well being a dodger fan you can understand my dislike for your team, but this is just fucked up...hell, he was playing with his 5 year old kid...now if this had happened while he was water skiing with penthouse girls i might not be as sympathetic ;)

Oh no doubt, completely understandable. And yeah, very fucked up. I feel just as bad for the kid that he had to see that. Jesus. hahaha, yeah.
    Madson - ruh-roh :?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,725
    imalive wrote:

just read that :( i liked him, hope he recovers quickly

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-reds-madson
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,401
    imalive wrote:

just read that :( i liked him, hope he recovers quickly

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-reds-madson

yeah...phils dodged a bullet there.

gotta feel for the guy though. he was hoping for a long term deal...had to settle for a one year deal and was hoping to parlay that into long one next year. now, not.
    www.myspace.com
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    Newch91 wrote:

#91 is always a tip-off

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

#91 is always a tip-off

Turns out #91 is one of their top hitting prospects and his name is Oscar Taveras. He hit .386 with 8 HR and 62 RBI in 308 AB in A-ball as a 19-year old. I'm just relieved to know that the Guy family didn't just have really low expectations when they named their son.
    Magglio Ordonez tweeted that he's close to retirement. I guess he finally realized he wasn't getting a major league contract from anyone.
    Magglio Ordonez tweeted that he's close to retirement. I guess he finally realized he wasn't getting a major league contract from anyone.

wow! is he a FA?

he was a stud for a while.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,401
    www.myspace.com
    imalive wrote:

wow! is he a FA?

he was a stud for a while.

Yeah, his deal ran out after last season. I'm not sure why he thought he'd get anything better than a minor league deal. He's 38, played in just 92 games last year and 84 games the year before due to injuries, nad hit .255 with 5 HR and a .331 SLG% last year. Those 5 HRs work out to a HR every 65.8 AB. HIs last season with more than 12 HR was 2008. He was still able to hit alright in 2009 and 2010 but his power doesn't really exist anymore and if he can't stay healthy enough to play the field nobody is going to guarantee a contract for an aging DH with no power coming off consecutive injury-shortened seasons. Some guys are really delusional, I guess. At least he's walking away rather than hanging around and bitching about his role after his numbers declined, though (like Bobby Abreu is doing with the Angels).
    magic johnson just bought the dodgers for 2 billion dollars

mccourt's last act as owner was a good one

holy fucking shit!!
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    Norm, I thought you were kidding. Well, hunh.

Okay, so when do we get to burn McCourt in effigy? Or maybe not just in effigy?
    oh it's official (mlb still has to give final approval) :mrgreen:

http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/news/ ... la&c_id=la

and sadly, we will not be completely rid of mccourt...he will be a minority owner of the parking lots :evil:

but don't feel bad for the asshole...he's walking away with a billion dollars :roll: :roll:
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    norm wrote:
    oh it's official (mlb still has to give final approval) :mrgreen:

http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/news/ ... la&c_id=la

and sadly, we will not be completely rid of mccourt...he will be a minority owner of the parking lots :evil:

but don't feel bad for the asshole...he's walking away with a billion dollars :roll: :roll:
    :lol: State of the art parking lots?
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    imalive wrote:
    #91 is always a tip-off

Turns out #91 is one of their top hitting prospects and his name is Oscar Taveras. He hit .386 with 8 HR and 62 RBI in 308 AB in A-ball as a 19-year old. I'm just relieved to know that the Guy family didn't just have really low expectations when they named their son.

dude's a beast. tavarez, shelby miller, carlos martinez...cards have some nice prospects.
    norm wrote:
    magic johnson just bought the dodgers for 2 billion dollars

mccourt's last act as owner was a good one

holy fucking shit!!

Incredible dude. 2.15 billion dollars! That's a lot of money. Good news for you, and baseball in general.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    fuck me ... my fantasy draft happened and i got fucking pineda, jeter, lester, beckett and ellsbury ... like ... what the cuss? ... forgot to exclude all red sox and yankees ... :lol:
    Oh, and, it's officially baseball season.
    norm wrote:

I miss frank already :shifty:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14